Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Also depending on the part of the country roofing is seasonal work and even if not right now people can be booked out six months so that’s going to seriously delay a deal

Took me eight months from signing the contract to get a 7' x 24' tin porch roof replaced with rubber because the materials were in short supply compared to demand and also it gets cold here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

my friends just bought a $600k house in June and it needs a $30k roof and I'm like, why did you buy this dumb house then

I've spent $102,500 on repairs to my house in the past three years, and I'm still >$200,000 net positive for owning it, because I'm in California Bay Area and poo poo is loving stupid. Please crash

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

immediate upside! you can drop the hammer on these poor fargo fucks right away

Apr 7, 2003

sorry, you only get half a porch, deal

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

euphronius posted:

roofing is the worst job in the world

far from it

worst job in the US is probably security guard in a store where you cant sit down

Bar Ran Dun posted:

probably but that can get complicated here. they don’t want to know about it because then if the sale falls through they have to put it on the disclosure. and you won’t get the house over something like a roof if you want them to deal with it.

in addition to all this you wanna have it done yourself bc you can make sure it gets done right and warranties are often non-transferrable

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I've been a roofer and it sucked but it also paid way better than any job I had until post college so land of contrasts and all that. There's no way it's worse than poo poo like being a picker for Amazon or a million other jobs that are as bad or worse on your body but also have lovely hours and pay a third as much.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Roofing is one of the jobs most likely to kill or seriously injure you so I think it’s fair to call it one of the worst jobs.

Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I've been a roofer and it sucked but it also paid way better than any job I had until post college so land of contrasts and all that. There's no way it's worse than poo poo like being a picker for Amazon or a million other jobs that are as bad or worse on your body but also have lovely hours and pay a third as much.

When roofers were out at my house I left them a case of beer one day and they drank half it over lunch before going up on the roof. It was hot though.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
wrong thread lol

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Aug 3, 2022

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

the white hand posted:

immediate upside! you can drop the hammer on these poor fargo fucks right away

A-are those houses mere feet from a four lane highway? :ohdear:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ebola Roulette posted:

A-are those houses mere feet from a four lane highway? :ohdear:

haha no. where other countries might refer to that as a highway or perhaps a dual carriage way, here in america it’s a humble boulevard

Apr 7, 2003

love to get run over while checking my mail

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I will also buy goons houses if I get a billion dollars

I would also like a home

One billion dollars will only get you like 3 houses, tops

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

finally someone is building some public housing

https://twitter.com/BlockClubCHI/status/1557388851152289794

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburg...W9uX251bWJlcj0w

not sure what the gently caress is with this house, the inside is nice and the outside looks like poo poo. gg

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

not sure what the gently caress is with this house, the inside is nice and the outside looks like poo poo. gg

outside looks fine :confused:

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The rob liefeld offset top windows are classic vernacular architecture

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lmao at the kitchen. Drop ceiling with no stove?

Edit the lot is a mess. Lol at the fallen tree

Nothus has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Aug 17, 2022

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Maxwells Demon posted:

My mortgage was sold to this company back in Nov 2020. They are a collection of idiots and I have no idea how to get away from them.

I had the same experience when they bought my mortgage. I ended up telling them to gently caress off by refinancing, but that was back when that actually made sense to do.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

so much is so hosed up about housing this is insane

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1560248817466974211

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

my coworker, who is black, said they made sure to remove family photos and disappear for showings when they were selling their house a couple months ago

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Looks like everything is going great

https://encorebubble.com/price-decline/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Can't imagine why homes in a huge swath of desert where the outdoor shade temperature regularly exceeds 100 degrees and water has to be rationed for golf courses wouldn't be highly sought after by the generation with the least wealth since peasants before the french revolution.

Also does this map imply that the rest of the US home prices have increased since peak?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I know it's good in any context at this point that "house price number go down" but I get furious at the breathless headlines about like 2% drops. motherfucker a 2% drop after a 80% rise isn't poo poo! gently caress you!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

What I'm seeing is that price decreases are only really happening in areas that are either extremely overheated or desperate speculation in less-desirable counties.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

bitmap posted:

I know it's good in any context at this point that "house price number go down" but I get furious at the breathless headlines about like 2% drops. motherfucker a 2% drop after a 80% rise isn't poo poo! gently caress you!

It is when your entire debt is leveraged on the premise of prices always going up

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

this looks like a map of all the counties where people actually live

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The open spaces are where you can live and comfortably piss in your yard without neighbors trying to catch a peek. And yet somehow half the county will know when you fart.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

cum jabbar posted:

this looks like a map of all the counties where people actually live

its because its the only areas which have actually have enough data

Nothus posted:

What I'm seeing is that price decreases are only really happening in areas that are either extremely overheated or desperate speculation in less-desirable counties.

yeah i mean the overheated areas are going to go down faster. the northeast and midwest went up the least but are also going down the least.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Check this one out

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/05/11/The-Human-Cost-Of-Making-Social-Housing-Scarce/

quote:

That changed when Dalaya, 32, left her partner and became a single mom last summer. Dalaya and her now two-year-old daughter first lived in a transition house, and then with a friend as she searched for a place to rent.

But Dalaya found that as soon as she told potential landlords she was a single mom, they’d say the apartment was already rented, or simply stop responding to her.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I wan t a house for my family

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Just moved to a new town that I love so I started looking at house prices and starting prices are a million??????????

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Just moved to a new town that I love so I started looking at house prices and starting prices are a million??????????

what the hell!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You could look at $1-2k/acre land like I am. My Outback's suspension is getting a workout on the dirt roads here.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Halo guy: wait that's illegal

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

living in sfh is immoral anyway, there are probably flats you can buy for less than that and you’ll save on heating.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

living in sfh is immoral anyway

this guy gets it

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You could look at $1-2k/acre land like I am. My Outback's suspension is getting a workout on the dirt roads here.

yeah that might be the plan because this shits unreasonable

Apr 7, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah that might be the plan because this shits unreasonable

The garbage rear end town I grew up in, one of the shittiest places in America, is seeing houses get snapped up by out-of-town investors and flipped. Gonna be interesting. There's no work there other than lovely retail and some small scale lovely industry that pays poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://nypost.com/2022/08/22/arizona-city-to-pay-airbnb-hosts-10k-to-rent-longer-term/

quote:

The city of Sedona, Arizona, is joining a small group of other United States communities attempting to stop the scourge of rentals in use as short-term housing by offering cash to proprietors.

“Every day I get calls from folks losing their housing because their landlord is turning their housing into a short-term rental,” Sedona’s city housing manager, Shannon Boone, told Insider of the motive behind the City Council-approved “Rent Local” program.

That program will pay $3,000 to those renting smaller units (such as single bedrooms in a shared home) and $10,000 for those renting out larger properties to remove their listings from short-term rental sites, including Airbnb and Vrbo, and instead rent to workers in the immediate community for at least a year at a time.

Just incredible brains on display.