Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this poo poo is so funny when the "innovation" is in large part "make it so you die in a crash"

i'm sure that one of the traditional OEMs could also make a lightweight non-crashworthy EV. hell you could probably take 500-600 pounds out of the Bolt EUV if you didn't care about meeting crash standards. that would turn up the range fairly substantially.

Wasn't there a lot of electric Chinese golf carts sold as cars in the us for a bit? It was an explosion of weird named aliexpress coffins on YouTubers for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
How is it even legal to drive anything lighter than an F150 on the same roads? We would probably save a lot of lives with a minimum vehicle weight and requiring four wheels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

eeenmachine posted:

How is it even legal to drive anything lighter than an F150 on the same roads? We would probably save a lot of lives with a minimum vehicle weight and requiring four wheels.

gently caress safety standards am i right?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress safety standards am i right?

The safety of the driver is paramount, gently caress everyone else, they should also be driving a big heavy box.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

The safety of the driver is paramount, gently caress everyone else, they should also be driving a big heavy box.

Agreed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

We call these trains and busses and yes everyone should be using them

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
We are so doomed

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

marshmonkey posted:

We are so doomed

Bury me in my Hummer EV

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

marshmonkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

marshmonkey posted:

it's not like an Aptera won't gently caress up a pedestrian or bicyclist just as easily

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not like an Aptera won't gently caress up a pedestrian or bicyclist just as easily

You realize the number of traffic deaths soaring is directly related to increasingly heavier cars being shaped like bricks with hood heights approaching shoulder level right? I know the facts exited the chat a long time ago, but c’mon.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
We’re going to need to find some live children for a test. If the Tesla stans can do it so can we.

Edit: How many kids were they able to sit in front of that lady’s SUV before she could see one again? That test sounds safer.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 19, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

marshmonkey posted:

You realize the number of traffic deaths soaring is directly related to increasingly heavier cars being shaped like bricks with hood heights approaching shoulder level right? I know the facts exited the chat a long time ago, but c’mon.

Larger and heavier vehicles are changing pedestrian injuries (more head and thorax which are obviously bad - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256841/) but that certainly isn't sufficient to account for increases in (absolute) traffic deaths in the US.

Like is the contention based on this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/08/17/traffic-deaths-us-roads/ that vehicles got heavier and bigger between 14-16, then did not between 2016 and 2020, before getting heavier and bigger again in the last two years? There are very clearly a lot of other factors at play here. Fatality rates (which are much more useful than absolute data) are way, way up since the pandemic and there is no way you can explain that due to vehicle mix because the mix has not changed all that significantly in two years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

marshmonkey posted:

sorry people are skeptical of your science experiment car enclosed motorcycle. i sincerely hope you get to buy one and enjoy it!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sorry people are skeptical of your science experiment car enclosed motorcycle. i sincerely hope you get to buy one and enjoy it!

Thanks 🙏

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pedestrians should really try to avoid being in front of any fast moving vehicle, especially Teslas and motorcycles made out of knife edges

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Larger and heavier vehicles are changing pedestrian injuries (more head and thorax which are obviously bad - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256841/) but that certainly isn't sufficient to account for increases in (absolute) traffic deaths in the US.

Like is the contention based on this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/08/17/traffic-deaths-us-roads/ that vehicles got heavier and bigger between 14-16, then did not between 2016 and 2020, before getting heavier and bigger again in the last two years? There are very clearly a lot of other factors at play here. Fatality rates (which are much more useful than absolute data) are way, way up since the pandemic and there is no way you can explain that due to vehicle mix because the mix has not changed all that significantly in two years.

Pretty sure a cyclist or a pedestrian is going to roll right off of something shaped like an Aptera. If there are any cyclists in the thread we could ask them which they would rather get hit by.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If I bought and took ownership of my EV6 in March, will I be able to get the 7.5k tax credit even if I make over 300k joint?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I am massively confused by the new EV tax credit and how it impacts my plans to maybe buy a Model 3 LR, or an Ioniq 6 if it comes out soon enough. Or maybe a Polestar idk.

Here's an article listing all the current models that are eligible, or will be eligible as of 1/1/2023, for anything that already hit the old tax credit's sales cap.

https://electrek.co/2022/08/16/ev-tax-credit-list-of-cars-eligible-7500-inflation-reduction-act/

If you want to buy in 2022, there aren't many options. Hope you want a PHEV, Mach-E, or a Leaf. When 2023 starts, Teslas and GM cars become eligible, so that'll expand your options.

Notably, no Hyundai/Kia/Genesis cars are eligible in the foreseeable future. Even though some of their cars are assembled in the US (there's an Ioniq 5 factory two hours from where I live), their batteries are made in Korea, so they're not eligible until the companies can spin up new battery plants here.

I get that the new tax credit is a good thing overall, but it effectively made the car I was planning to buy next year cost $7500 more, and the "all or nothing" MSRP cap sucks if you want a higher-end (but not luxury) EV sedan. Now I may "settle" for a Bolt or Mach-E. Not bad cars, but... not what I wanted.

Edit: Well, I assume that article is accurate. It lists the Mercedes EQS, which starts at an MSRP over $100k, so it definitely won't meet even the SUV/truck price cap.

Chin Strap posted:

If I bought and took ownership of my EV6 in March, will I be able to get the 7.5k tax credit even if I make over 300k joint?
I think so. Some provisions of the new tax credit took effect immediately, but nothing I've read says that any of it is retroactive. There's even a clause that says if you had a binding agreement to buy before the new bill went into effect, you can still take the old tax credit under the old rules.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 19, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

marshmonkey posted:

Pretty sure a cyclist or a pedestrian is going to roll right off of something shaped like an Aptera. If there are any cyclists in the thread we could ask them which they would rather get hit by.

talk about facts leaving the thread jesus christ

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Automotive Insanity is probably the most well adjusted, sane and inhabited by relatively normal people who are mostly a bunch of Dads talking poo poo on the Internet of all the forums on SA.

Wether that is good or says it all about SA is debateable

Oh I totally agree and I focus that same energy on PVC figures of Godzilla so I'm crazier than a shithouse buzzard, so I should know.

edit:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We call these trains and busses and yes everyone should be using them

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 19, 2022

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Whenever a motor vehicle finally removes me from this bleak existence I hope they at least have to visit a body shop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Need more EV busses, now. Rode an electric trolley the other day and it was amazing how quiet it was when stopped. The cabin is still a big bucket of bolts that rattles horribly over bumps, but what are you gonna do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eeenmachine posted:

Whenever a motor vehicle finally removes me from this bleak existence I hope they at least have to visit a body shop.

You do have some control over that

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

WhiteHowler posted:

Notably, no Hyundai/Kia/Genesis cars are eligible in the foreseeable future. Even though some of their cars are assembled in the US (there's an Ioniq 5 factory two hours from where I live), their batteries are made in Korea, so they're not eligible until the companies can spin up new battery plants here.

I believe they battery issue only applies to half of the credit and they should be eligible for the assembly credit. And I believe the battery issue is kind of at the discretion of the Department of Transportation, I've heard several places say the believe the rule is going to be very lax as far as what counts at first and then tighten as companies have time to ramp up production that is more in keeping with the spirit of the law.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Need more EV busses, now. Rode an electric trolley the other day and it was amazing how quiet it was when stopped. The cabin is still a big bucket of bolts that rattles horribly over bumps, but what are you gonna do.

A great deal of San Francisco's buses have been electric for decades- but they are powered by overhead wiring so they are technically trolleys, just not on tracks.

edit: lol I just remembered when someone did this a few years back

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Tiny Timbs posted:

You do have some control over that

Walking and riding my bike is worth a warrior’s death.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mobby_6kl posted:

Light, aerodynamic car --> high efficiency.

They claim that range scales linearly with battery size which doesn’t make any sense if you think that weight is a critical determinant of range. They claim 250 miles for the 25kWh pack and 1000 miles for the 100kWh pack. A 25kWh pack will weigh about 156kg while a 100kWh pack will weigh about 625kg (using the Ioniq 5 pack weight as an estimator).

They claim the 60kWh version will weigh about 820kg of which -375kg would be battery. That would put the 100kWh version at 1070kg and the 25kWh version at 601kg. So the despite being nearly twice the weight the heavier model is equally efficient.

Those numbers only make sense if they’re giving the range at a constant and relatively high speed where the power required to keep the car moving is negligible vs drag. But they would need it to be about 2.5 times as efficient as on the highway as the most efficient EVs currently out there for that to be achievable and their stated Cd of .13 isn’t that much of an improvement over the .2 on the Lucid Air. The car is also wide and tall to the frontal area isn’t insignificant. An electric motorcycle has a much worse Cd but a much smaller frontal area and those don’t get anywhere near 10mi/kWh.

Even if it were possible in ideal conditions stacking efficiency like that means that range absolutely tanks in less than perfect conditions. Rain, snow, winds, under-inflated tires, elevation, higher air density, etc will all have an outsized effect.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

But they would need it to be about 2.5 times as efficient as on the highway as the most efficient EVs currently out there for that to be achievable and their stated Cd of .13 isn’t that much of an improvement over the .2 on the Lucid Air.

Isn’t that a pretty big difference? I don’t think that value works on a linear scale, like .1 would be much more than twice as efficient as .2 would be.

They have put so much design work into getting that number it seems crazy to me that they just didn’t check their math.

Anyway, I’m really interested to see how their designing for efficiency first and foremost pans out. I know the numbers seem unbelievable, surprisingly shows like fully charged seem to take them at face value. They have been showing the car to every YouTuber and media outlet that will come visit the factory and say they plan to have a line installed by the end of the year with the first production car next year, so hopefully we won’t have to argue about how physics works for too much longer. I’m hoping I get invited to some sort of tour event or meet up for being a reservation holder at some point.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

They were just trying to get back to 1985.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

Pedestrians should really try to avoid being in front of any fast moving vehicle, especially Teslas and motorcycles made out of knife edges

gently caress it let’s make carmageddon real life

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

marshmonkey posted:

Isn’t that a pretty big difference? I don’t think that value works on a linear scale, like .1 would be much more than twice as efficient as .2 would be.

They have put so much design work into getting that number it seems crazy to me that they just didn’t check their math.

Drag force scales linearly with coefficient of drag and surface area. I’m sure you can make the math work out if you make a bunch of extremely optimistic assumptions about the efficiency of your drive train, external conditions, etc.

Even then I’m skeptical of the .13 claim since their first test models used cameras instead of mirrors because large mirrors kill aerodynamics. But cameras still aren’t approved for use in the US as mirror replacements.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Even then I’m skeptical of the .13 claim since their first test models used cameras instead of mirrors because large mirrors kill aerodynamics. But cameras still aren’t approved for use in the US as mirror replacements.

Might be legal if you are technically classified as a motorcycle though? They still have cameras instead of mirrors on the pre-production prototype.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A great deal of San Francisco's buses have been electric for decades- but they are powered by overhead wiring so they are technically trolleys, just not on tracks.

Amazing

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

Might be legal if you are technically classified as a motorcycle though? They still have cameras instead of mirrors on the pre-production prototype.

Nope even motorcycles need them. Lots of riders I know use tiny dentist mirrors to get around the law

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/xg8fS1bgPlo

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I appreciate the "JON" logo.

Speaking of San Francisco, I was there recently and saw TWO Spark EVs! Blessed.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Haha Tesla service charges $12 to replace a part

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

At least 50% of the travel in the first calendar year of ownership has to be for business. An easy way to achieve this is to buy the vehicle in December.

OK, drive from San Diego to SF or Seattle for game conferences :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Normal Barbarian posted:

I once again want to thank y'all for all the info, particularly the owners of cars under consideration (Polestars, Leafs, Bolts, e-Golf, i3, etc.)

What I've learned so far:
  • Polestars and Ioniq 5's are probably good--if slightly chonky--but they're more car than I need
  • Teslas are also more than I need
  • opinions on the i3 are mixed
  • many cars in the $10k-20k range have multiple shortfalls
  • compliance cars are best avoided
  • Bolts are decent cars (assuming they have the new battery?)
  • don't get a Leaf, probably

I've had three votes of confidence for the e-Golf, and I know somebody who has kept theirs since buying it new in 2015, so I'm gonna check them out. I haven't totally ruled out the i3. I should take a look at Bolts.

Is the Ford Focus Electric a garbage compliance car? I've just learned that it's built on the same platform as the S40, so it's the closest thing to "my car, but electric" out there. It's also American and Ford instead of Swedish* and Volvo, but so it goes.

The Spark EV is small but a lot of fun. The GM at the Kia dealer I got my Niro EV has one.