Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I love Star Tours but sadly can’t handle it anymore. My vestibular system hates the movement, and it’s not helped by how hot the room is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1559540502831284230

Lol a $1600 annual pass still has blackout dates

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Nanigans posted:

So, we’re not SOL yet, but do Blue Bayou reservations really book out THAT far in advanced? We can’t find a single reservation for any day from here through October.

Also, any other must-try restaurants that require reservations? We’re first timers to DLR, so I’m not sure.

We also got a reservation at the Lamplight Lounge over at DCA. It's less of a classic must-do, but the food was good and there are lots of good views of the water (we got the worst seat in the house, but we also got seated next to the water at BB, so it balanced out).

Searching manually was a nightmare, though. We used https://mousedining.com to set up alerts. At the time, it felt pretty obvious they weren't releasing all availability at the maximum timeframe. It was common for there to be zero availability, then I'd get deluged with text messages saying a dozen times had suddenly become open. I think we paid for a month of this, which ended up being enough time for it to get us reservations at Oga's, Blue Bayou, and Lamplight. $9 is nothing on a Disney vacation, and it saves you the trouble of manually checking every 30 minutes or whatever.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Boxman posted:

We also got a reservation at the Lamplight Lounge over at DCA. It's less of a classic must-do, but the food was good and there are lots of good views of the water (we got the worst seat in the house, but we also got seated next to the water at BB, so it balanced out).

Searching manually was a nightmare, though. We used https://mousedining.com to set up alerts. At the time, it felt pretty obvious they weren't releasing all availability at the maximum timeframe. It was common for there to be zero availability, then I'd get deluged with text messages saying a dozen times had suddenly become open. I think we paid for a month of this, which ended up being enough time for it to get us reservations at Oga's, Blue Bayou, and Lamplight. $9 is nothing on a Disney vacation, and it saves you the trouble of manually checking every 30 minutes or whatever.

This is awesome. Thanks!

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

If I can book restaurants as of tomorrow (60 days) -- is there a specific time that ability opens up?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Nottherealaborn posted:

I love Star Tours but sadly can’t handle it anymore. My vestibular system hates the movement, and it’s not helped by how hot the room is.

I don't even wear the glasses anymore, except for the awesome Coruscant sequence and digital Poe. :heysexy:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MLK Ultra posted:

If I can book restaurants as of tomorrow (60 days) -- is there a specific time that ability opens up?

It can vary. I know most people say it's at 7am? But I've seen the calendar flip to the next day earlier than that. If I were you, I'd set an alarm for like 5am eastern and keep checking every 15 minutes.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

MLK Ultra posted:

Are you talking WDW or DLR? WDW is 7 am Eastern. DLR could be literally any time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Braksgirl posted:

Are you talking WDW or DLR? WDW is 7 am Eastern. DLR could be literally any time.

Does daylight savings time factor in at all with WDW? Last year I was making reservations in early September for my early November trip, and I definitely saw the calendar flip before 7am.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

DLR was 6 am when I was trying to get them last month. I still didn’t get poo poo.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does daylight savings time factor in at all with WDW? Last year I was making reservations in early September for my early November trip, and I definitely saw the calendar flip before 7am.

Not that I’m aware of. It’s always been 7 am for WDW as long as I can remember. Glitches are common though so you never know.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

we've got three days at the park coming up! our last trip was as a family a long time ago so it would be fun to see poo poo that's changed since our last trip 20 years ago. what have they added in the last two decades that's unmissable? is splash mountain or anything else going away that we should hit before it is gone? thank you disgoons

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

we've got three days at the park coming up! our last trip was as a family a long time ago so it would be fun to see poo poo that's changed since our last trip 20 years ago. what have they added in the last two decades that's unmissable? is splash mountain or anything else going away that we should hit before it is gone? thank you disgoons

Ohwait yeah Splash Mountain is going to be changing to Princess and the Frog at both parks, but if you're able to get to Disneyland before they close it then do that. They have not announced a closing date yet of course.

Tron is coming to MK, but they've been building that poo poo for four years and who knows when it's gonna open.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

VorpalBunny posted:

So, what do all the regulars here think of Chapek's comments about "unfavorable attendance" comments? And the fact that 50% of park visitors use Genie+? Disneyland folks are freaking out, that passes are never coming back. Our expire in February, if the program lasts that long. I'm not really freaking out, but I'm just curious what y'all think will happen.

A lot of people on reddit and twitter seem to be REALLY mad at the "unfavorable" comment but I don't really get the hate... my family has probably gone to Disneyland 40 times this year because we live close enough to stop by when we're bored, and in all those trips I've probably paid less overall (including the cost of our Enchant passes) than a single out-of-state group pays for a two-night vacation.

It's unclear to me why a CEO talking in terms of dollars and cents during an investor call is such an affront to hardcore fans. Obviously the Walt Disney Corporation considers a family spending thousands on hotels, a few meals per day in the parks, snacks, merch, photopass, and genie+ to be more "favorable" than my area-resident family taking up the same amount of space but only spending a total of $16 on veggie wraps or pretzels once a month. What else is he supposed to say? That Disney's priority for the parks should be reassuring residents of Seal Beach that Disneyland is a nice place to chill, rather than making more money per guest? (not aimed at you btw, just rhetorically wondering what's got the diehards in a frenzy)

I just don't know why people seem so offended. Disney's approach to annual passes has already been known so it's not like it revealed some new agenda. The locals/vacationers ratio is something they've been trying to push in a more lucrative WDW-like direction for years, so it's really just an offhand comment reiterating something they've probably openly mulled over a million times.

I am surprised at the 50% g+ usage tho. I would've guessed way lower.

Which one do you have now? Would you renew it in Feb if these were still available?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That couple weeks of Christmas - New Year's is Hell on Earth at any theme park but still lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How many days do you think are between Dec 25th and Jan 1?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It says Dec 21st - Jan 1st

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What garbage. And not giving parking flat to folks? gently caress off

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sivart13 posted:

I don't like Star Wars much these days but I loving love Star Tours

this crazyass tour bus Forrest Gumping it through all the major battles in the Star Wars universe really tickles me

I just wish it was more guaranteed to get different scenes every time; I rode twice when the Ep 9 sequence came out it was exactly the same combo of clips both times
Last time I did multiple trips was back when Galaxy's Edge was still not open and even the Paris ride was running the Batuu landing ending pretty much constantly. It was in French half the time though, which makes it weirdly entertaining.

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I just don't know why people seem so offended. Disney's approach to annual passes has already been known so it's not like it revealed some new agenda. The locals/vacationers ratio is something they've been trying to push in a more lucrative WDW-like direction for years, so it's really just an offhand comment reiterating something they've probably openly mulled over a million times.
Really weirdly I felt that they were pushing things in a more local-first direction in WDW on my last trip, although that value of "local" is "flights that last single digit hours" I guess.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Just renewed my WDW AP and surprisingly it wasn’t as awful as I thought it would be. Still a little painful though. I guess I should consider myself local with only 2 1/1.5 HR flights to get down to Orlando.

DLR APs get discounts on so much out there - doesn’t surprise me that they’re pushing to up the mix and focus on the non locals. Though I was a little jealous that I’d love to get discounts on Quick Service in WDW like they do.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I suppose, but when the price for getting 10-20% off at select food stands is losing most or all of the free parking, it’s probably a wash.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I don’t have a lot of sympathy for APs in SoCal who use the park as a place for babysitting or whatever. But I do think they should have nice passes for Anaheim residents. Gotta make the city happy so there is less resistance when you want to expand.

I think there should be APs with no blackout days…. If you can charge $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and still sell some, why not.

Are Universal APs not 365 days? I just checked mine and I bought my pass in Feb but it says it expires in December…..

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 18, 2022

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The APs now are so expensive that even someone like me, who goes on about how great it was before locals realized APs exist and started flooding the place, can't see any reason to raise them more.

What they need to do to change the visitor profile that Chapek is speaking of is get rid of the rather new concept of being able to make regular payments towards it. The "can't afford anything other than admission so I'll just hang out a few hours and not buy anything" crowd probably wouldn't be able to afford the current AP prices in a single lump-sum payment. Disney doesn't owe anybody no-interest pay as you go plans, and arguably thinking Disney as one more debt agency you owe money to each month isn't great for "the brand".

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
With the high cost of passes, and being SoCal locals, we have traded our love of travel for spending nearly every weekend in the parks. Nothing about the current state of airlines or the high cost of travel is making us interested in going anywhere right now, so we just stay close to home and go to our reliable local parks. And with the FOMO of the current reservation system, I grab every Sunday I can get for all of us. There this real min/max need to get as much as we can out of the parks (within reason) to justify not only the massive expense but also it being one of our only entertainment sources. And raising the price by a hundred bucks or so doesn't really diminish the value we get from the parks. I get why people are annoyed, but the system is still a pretty great value for those that use it on the regular.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Craptacular! posted:

The APs now are so expensive that even someone like me, who goes on about how great it was before locals realized APs exist and started flooding the place, can't see any reason to raise them more.

What they need to do to change the visitor profile that Chapek is speaking of is get rid of the rather new concept of being able to make regular payments towards it. The "can't afford anything other than admission so I'll just hang out a few hours and not buy anything" crowd probably wouldn't be able to afford the current AP prices in a single lump-sum payment. Disney doesn't owe anybody no-interest pay as you go plans, and arguably thinking Disney as one more debt agency you owe money to each month isn't great for "the brand".

You’re probably right on the full lump sum kicking out a large mix of folks and that would probably help. Though I wish I could do payments on my Incredipass as an out of state AP, but oh well.

Doing a California local ticket 5-10 day that is valid for most days but valid in 2022 or 2023 - probably is a better idea for them. Or maybe something like the old Epcot After 4pm weekday pass.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BlueBayou posted:

For Epcot. How do Eat to the Beat dining packages work? You eat at some restaurant and then later have reserved seating? I really want to make sure I don’t miss the band I want to see….
Yep. Your restaurant will give you a badge with the show and time you have reserved, and when that comes you show up and show the badge to get to sit in the reserved section.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CapnAndy posted:

Yep. Your restaurant will give you a badge with the show and time you have reserved, and when that comes you show up and show the badge to get to sit in the reserved section.

I do not recommend doing this during the Candlelight Processional because the reserved section can really only see the orchestra, barely see the host, and you can't see the choir except like...the top performer on the "tree"

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I’d be doing it for Boys 2 Men

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I do love how they always seem to grab the perfect bands that I wouldn't necessarily pay to see but would gladly sit and watch a short set of them playing their hits. We get to catch Hansen for the second time at epcot and honestly I'm kinda stoked.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have never been cool enough to even recognise the names of the bands that were playing when I was in Disney World. I did at least recognise Jennifer Lopez when I happened to wander into her playing in Universal one time though, so I've been paying attention at least once this century!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I once saw Smashmouth perform at Epcot.

Eat the eggs...

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
“Holy crap, THEY’RE still performing? I thought they all died!” concert Series, coming to Epcot every fall.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Saw Shiela E. there a few years ago. Double neat because we saw her play at least one song we also saw her perform in 1985.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We have a friend that has planned multiple trips to Florida/Disney just to see Boys 2 Men at Epcot.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

This is only my second time going during concert season but both times I've gone "huh, I'd stop and watch them" to like 80% of the bands on the lineup but somehow none of the bands that will be there while I am.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/artcombatpod/status/1560750215946199041?s=20&t=AR5otcV56bbBGTTHxKeqGA

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Action park v2.0?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

I’d be doing it for Boys 2 Men

motownphillycheesesteak

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cv16KYtiSs

It's crazy how much better the intro makes it. Like, its clearly slapped on there but its so much more meaningful than the rest of the show after it.

If they had had this on Oct 1st, I would have cried and not felt annoyed that I staked out a spot for 2 goddamn hours.

And its not even that good. But at least it has emotion.

enchantment is so bad

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'll have to check it out later when I have the time, but I've never been a fan when the company markets Walt Disney like a mascot.