Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jippa posted:

I said he was good at identifying players that the squad needed. Round pegs for round holes or whatever phrase you want. Also isn't it pretty clear that the owners/board don't know what they are doing? Wouldn't the players/fans want someone like conte?

At least online, from what I've seen, fans were overwhelmingly against the idea of hiring Conte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
None of that serial winner, no thank you!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

I said he was good at identifying players that the squad needed. Round pegs for round holes or whatever phrase you want. Also isn't it pretty clear that the owners/board don't know what they are doing? Wouldn't the players/fans want someone like conte?

Explain how Conte, a manager famously noted as losing his poo poo and quitting the second the board don't give him what he wants, would put up with the United hierarchy's approach to transfers

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Explain how Conte, a manager famously noted as losing his poo poo and quitting the second the board don't give him what he wants, would put up with the United hierarchy's approach to transfers

To start with I think conte is actually incredibly good at taking an unbalanced squad and figuring out some sort of way of making it work.

I think friction with the owners and only being around for a few seasons is fine of you actually came out of it with a balanced/better squad. I only really see modern managers being around for the short/medium term.

I see conte quite differently now I have watched him at spurs for a while.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Granted I’m a goofball but I would trade one or two titles at a club with a history of sustained success for future sustained success.

United is (was lol) kind of an institution so getting mercenary-rear end RVP a title is a little less important than positioning for continuing league and CL success.

If SAF was any other type of manager (like an ancelotti) this is nbd, but he set himself up as an institution and had continuing influence over the entire club following his retirement, so yes this mess is partially his fault.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
RVP was hardly a mercenary, this is coming from an Arsenal fan. He knew he was at the peak form of his life and that Arsenal were still short for winning a title, so he went there to win one and did just that. He was also very upset that SAF retired right after if you recall... and he was banished from United as soon as his form started to drop.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Anyway SAF went to the derby at the etihad in 2014 and sat right above me, he had a hilarious look on his face after Smalling saw red and we locked eyes for a brief moment and you could tell He Knew

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Conte took a poo poo Chelsea and had players like Batshuayi and Victor Moses flying. He’d have done a number at United.

As Ninpo mentioned he does get upset about not having funds, but if he got Levy to release the cash, he might have gotten the Man U hierarchy to do likewise.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

RVP was hardly a mercenary, this is coming from an Arsenal fan. He knew he was at the peak form of his life and that Arsenal were still short for winning a title, so he went there to win one and did just that. He was also very upset that SAF retired right after if you recall... and he was banished from United as soon as his form started to drop.

Also players deciding where they will play based on where they will earn the most money, win the most trophies, and what place is the best to live in is entirely cool and good and something fans should stop complaining about in TYOOL 2022.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I personally will never forgive Charles de ketelaere for deciding he'd rather live in and play for Milan instead of Leeds

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

I personally will never forgive Charles de ketelaere for deciding he'd rather live in and play for Milan instead of Leeds

Leeds definitely need another striker since Bamford is made of glass and Joffy is probably not ready to be the locked in starter, and is also injury prone.

I know both Marsch and Radrizzani have said they are holding out for the perfect fit, but after spending last season without a starting striker for most of it I'd like them to maybe settle for a pretty decent fit before the window closes.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

If SAF was any other type of manager (like an ancelotti) this is nbd, but he set himself up as an institution and had continuing influence over the entire club following his retirement, so yes this mess is partially his fault.

SAF knew Rooney was in decline and bought Shinji Kagawa and RVP to replace him. By the end of the season SAF had Rooney in the stands, setting the stage for a transfer. Moyes came in and promptly gave Rooney a contract extension with improved wage and "special access" to club strategy.

Manchester United 2012-13 player review: Wayne Rooney
Wayne Rooney given special access to Manchester United's transfer secrets

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

blue footed boobie posted:

Also players deciding where they will play based on where they will earn the most money, win the most trophies, and what place is the best to live in is entirely cool and good and something fans should stop complaining about in TYOOL 2022.

Generally I totally agree gotta side with labor over management, but stuff like RVP to United and Lewandowski from Dortmund to Bayern is a bit lame as a fan imho but happy they got paid still

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Generally I totally agree gotta side with labor over management, but stuff like RVP to United and Lewandowski from Dortmund to Bayern is a bit lame as a fan imho but happy they got paid still

It was a downer for Arsenal fans for sure, but yeah... he wanted to win the big trophy.. I get it.

Dortmund always sell their best players not named Rues.

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-glazers-could-sell-share-of-future-tv-income-to-fund-old-trafford-expansion-r8q2nbxpv
"Manchester United’s owners are expected to be offered a cash lump sum in exchange for a share of future TV income as a way of raising money to pay for the expansion of Old Trafford.

The Glazer family are understood to be exploring different ways to raise investment, including a loan or selling a minority stake in the club. The other possible option, which industry insiders say is certain to be offered by investment firms, would be to follow Barcelona’s example and do a deal with a finance company for a lump sum in return for a percentage of future TV rights income."
I mean its gonna work for Barcelona totally so why not?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Levers for everyone

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

The other weird as gently caress take is from people that look at United's hilariously poo poo transfer strategy, then look at Conte and say, out loud around people, "United should have hired this man"

i thought the thing football fans wanted the most is to win trophies

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tristeham posted:

i thought the thing football fans wanted the most is to win trophies

trophies are nice, but have you ever watched a crowd of brazilians crying because they're 5-0 down after half an hour

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/AlasdairGold/status/1560673441694760960

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A suspended ban for all of that. That's basically the refs admitting it was all their fault lmao.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t understand why they were sent off to begin with. The worst that came out of it was an aggressive handshake. Pretty silly.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

UnderFreddy posted:

can't believe conte found a hidden gem like..a juventus winger?

also: it seems that ETH was hired partly because he wasn't as demanding as most other managers. If Conte was signed he would make big demands and gently caress off if they weren't met. Owners/Board don't want that.

Kulusevski didn't exactly look great at Juve. He was very good at Parma years back and Juve bought him on the strength of that, where he sort of went to poo poo. There is obviously a good player in there but anyone who saw him at Juve only wouldn't have thought he was that good. Obviously Conte had seen more of him and knew what was going on but I didn't think he'd be as good as he has been at Spurs and I had watched him for years; Conte's getting the best out of him.

Jippa posted:

To start with I think conte is actually incredibly good at taking an unbalanced squad and figuring out some sort of way of making it work.

Not just unbalanced, he's great at turning just regular old garbage sides in to winners. That Inter squad he won the title with had no business doing such things. And only Zaza's incompetence stood between Conte and a Euro semifinals with a squad containing the aforementioned Zaza, Eder, Graziano Pelle and Giaccherini as starters. The man knows how to work with teams that aren't optimized to his style and then he builds them to fit his style from that.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
he's also a bald bitch

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Pretty cool that SA has now enabled posting without needing your monitor to be on

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

true but RVP being hosed off to turkey immediately after winning the league at united when he would have still been the main man at arsenal for many years to come is also cool and good

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

EC10 posted:

true but RVP being hosed off to turkey immediately after winning the league at united when he would have still been the main man at arsenal for many years to come is also cool and good

he got injured again, like he always did, then had a good season in turkey, injured again, hosed off back to dutchland

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I love rvp and didn't begrudge him taking a last big payday and winning a trophy, and while it sucks for him to go to a rival like that, not having the drawn out freezing out bad vibes period like ozil or aubameyang was nice in retrospect

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
His red card against Barcelona for late kicking the ball is one of the all time worst referring decisions I can remember, I am biased but god that was so loving bad.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

phwoar, remember when he did the thing against Spain and then everyone laughed at Spain

bet SAF taught him that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He scored 18 goals in his final season at Feyenoord at the age of 35. Probably still good enough to earn a big wage at a mid-table PL club. He didn’t need to retire, not sure why he did.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

T Bowl posted:

His red card against Barcelona for late kicking the ball is one of the all time worst referring decisions I can remember, I am biased but god that was so loving bad.

God yeah. That moment, in that game, was a proper sliding doors moment for Arsenal. If Van Persie stays on the pitch, they win that tie and then they’re on course to win the CL.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

T Bowl posted:

that and the chelsea ovrebo game genuinely made me think some kind of fuckin fix was in for barcelona

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Jexner posted:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-glazers-could-sell-share-of-future-tv-income-to-fund-old-trafford-expansion-r8q2nbxpv
"Manchester United’s owners are expected to be offered a cash lump sum in exchange for a share of future TV income as a way of raising money to pay for the expansion of Old Trafford.

The Glazer family are understood to be exploring different ways to raise investment, including a loan or selling a minority stake in the club. The other possible option, which industry insiders say is certain to be offered by investment firms, would be to follow Barcelona’s example and do a deal with a finance company for a lump sum in return for a percentage of future TV rights income."
I mean its gonna work for Barcelona totally so why not?

There's nothing wrong with raising money for stadium investment, what's stupid is doing it to buy players. It doesn't seem like the Glazers will have trouble finding people to buy a minority stake though, so I doubt they'll even have to resort to selling future TV revenues.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just like McDonalds is a real estate company not a burger company Manchester United is a Malaysian potato snack endorsement company not a football club

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

Just like McDonalds is a real estate company not a burger company Manchester United is a Malaysian potato snack endorsement company not a football club

I mean, you're not wrong

Conte wasn't going to take this United squad and win a loving title with it are you all insane. He'd have walked after one transfer window of the Glazers' bullshit why is this even a debate. He left Inter because he was told there's no way he's getting what he wanted and he won a title there. Are any of you seriously suggesting Conte would have come into this United middle of last season when Ole was let go, done his usual drill instructor stuff with this lazy rear end squad with a track record of refusing to run for Ole and later Rangnick, gone through the Jan transfer window of the Glazers leaving their phones on silent, and achieved anything looking like success?

:laffo:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Xabi posted:

He sure did. And then he hand picked a man who everyone knew was not the right manager as his successor, so that he would look even better.

He would’ve been fine, they just fired him before they found out. Or let him sign anyone decent.

The single characteristic that successful clubs have in common is sticking with their manager for a decent amount of time to let them actually build a team.

Source?
You sound like a typical city / PSG fan itching to get the super league up and running.

I’m not convinced of any positive consequences of the Bosman ruling.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I know the cfo at Man U. all his friends support Liverpool but he's still a nice guy

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Yeah, my uncle worked at Nintendo, he was still cool with us playing Sega

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hate when matches are on a sunday and not even on tv ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Conte wasn't going to take this United squad and win a loving title with it are you all insane.

Nobody said this.