Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

builds character posted:

I’ll be curious where we’re at when this does come out though. Sprinter has an electric van coming, I assume the transit will get longer range at some point, and likewise assume the promaster and express will get some variety of EV version at some point too. I’m building out an old sprinter but I’d love to eventually go all EV, particularly if I can use the van to charge the bikes. Seems like a no brainer to me but I’m aware there aren’t exactly millions of people demanding the ability to charge random electric dirt bikes (that don’t currently exist) be chargeable from vans.

The Sprinter EV has less than 100 mile range. Road tests of the Transit EV say 150 miles is possible, It’s 2WD by the way.

I’m not doing this until 2024 at the earliest.

The range king is GM BrightDrop. 250 mile range and it’s big. Queen sized bed would fit crosswise with inches to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Comedy option is to use a Tesla semi (if they ever come out) as an RV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Comedy option is to use a Tesla semi (if they ever come out) as an RV.

the eM2 exists today and would work for this purpose.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I was hoping to replace my 2019 SR+ with a RAV4 Prime. I’ve been on waitlists since November and it’s been very quiet. Since the federal credit got axed I’ve had two dealerships call me in two days. They still want 7000 over MSRP and aren’t willing to budge. They did not volunteer that the credit had expired but acknowledged that it was no longer available when I asked.

Here’s to hoping the prices of primes gets closer to MSRP or even below.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The new EV tax credit rules hosed over dealerships that sell most foreign cars for the rest of 2022 (at least), and after all the markup shenanigans the last several months, I can't say I'm crying for them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

0.13 cd means when an Aptera strikes a pedestrian at 50 mph they simply roll off of it like they've been struck by a gust of wind and continue on their way slightly confused but none the worse for wear.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A great deal of San Francisco's buses have been electric for decades- but they are powered by overhead wiring so they are technically trolleys, just not on tracks.

edit: lol I just remembered when someone did this a few years back

This is incredible

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

600V DCFC every time you're stuck in traffic on an arterial in a major city? Yes please.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Elviscat posted:

600V DCFC every time you're stuck in traffic on an arterial in a major city? Yes please.

And it's freeeeee

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

WhiteHowler posted:

The new EV tax credit rules hosed over dealerships that sell most foreign cars for the rest of 2022 (at least), and after all the markup shenanigans the last several months, I can't say I'm crying for them.

It’s mainly loving up things for customers who ordered their cars and haven’t taken delivery yet.

The dealers will still be able to sell the cars, it’s not like it was ever coming out of their pockets. If a customer backs out on an ordered car there will be someone else willing to buy an in stock EV without the tax credit because of the gas price shock that everyone just went through.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

marshmonkey posted:

Pretty sure a cyclist or a pedestrian is going to roll right off of something shaped like an Aptera. If there are any cyclists in the thread we could ask them which they would rather get hit by.

Where's the VC scam proposing EVs made out tof cotton candy? I want to be hit by one of those.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

We’re going to need to find some live children for a test. If the Tesla stans can do it so can we.

Edit: How many kids were they able to sit in front of that lady’s SUV before she could see one again? That test sounds safer.

I think it was 8 or 9 seated children invisible in front of like a Tahoe. The other classic of the genre is the guy in a lifted brodozer that couldn’t see an entire mustang in front of him at a stoplight without using a front camera.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Browsing for EVs and failing worse than last week, I appreciate the sheer audacity of listing this online:
Ford F-150 Lightning
MSRP $69,554
Market Adjustment: +$40,000
Final Price $109,554

Everyone else just lists these as call or go in.

e: I guess it could be worse; while this one isn't even partial line item, a Pro is uh... a lot less MSRP:
New 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Pro 4WD SuperCrew 5.5' Box
Internet Price $114,554

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 20, 2022

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Wow I was browsing around prices on EVs locally last week and thought the +20k I saw on some Lightnings was bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
EV Delorean preview. Has anyone seen anything else?
There's a second body model previewed that looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZX3fHmDEjw

Not super sure about the Delorean Lifestyle Bands though.
And those GullWings look worse than the X/Ys in terms of mall parking

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Finally doors that open properly

Other than that, it looks different enough from the DMC-12 that it doesn't really do anything for me. I liked the retro gauges idea but they look kind of bad at least on video.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The sense band is such an insane gimmick I almost love it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
"Here, wear this bracelet I'm giving you, it lets me monitor your location, pulse and body temperature with my car."

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That Hyundai concept was 1000x more what a new delorean should be. The only thing its trading on is nostalgia but it doesn't even evoke the original at all beyond how the doors open, so whats the point of even naming your new bespoke EV delorean? Its so weird.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tom Guycot posted:

That Hyundai concept was 1000x more what a new delorean should be. The only thing its trading on is nostalgia but it doesn't even evoke the original at all beyond how the doors open, so whats the point of even naming your new bespoke EV delorean? Its so weird.

100%, it just looks like any other weird bespoke brands that you will never see one of outside of car shows if you’re not in the .00001%

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah an 80s Mobile with an electric motor would be insanely fun to drive and possibly die in.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

To me, this looks like a relatively generic modern EV similar to but without the better interior elements of the EV6 or Ioniq 5, trying to differentiate itself entirely through through the giant gullwing doors and the creepy social tech.

It feels like a really weird place to start for a brand that's fundamentally built on misplaced nostalgia. I feel like the better place to start would have been a well-executed hatchback coupe EV with some obvious 80s styling, because then at least it'd actually be selling on the nostalgia thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Test drove an iX today it was pretty neat.

Sat in an i4, wasn’t very comfortable for me.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Roadie posted:

It feels like a really weird place to start for a brand that's fundamentally built on misplaced nostalgia. I feel like the better place to start would have been a well-executed hatchback coupe EV with some obvious 80s styling, because then at least it'd actually be selling on the nostalgia thing.

Which kind of hatchback EVs would you be willing to pay 100k for? I probably wouldn't for any. I think the reality is that if you want to start a new brand you have to do it with expensive premium models. Maybe when the brand is selling a million cars a year you might consider a high-end hatchback.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Saukkis posted:

Which kind of hatchback EVs would you be willing to pay 100k for? I probably wouldn't for any. I think the reality is that if you want to start a new brand you have to do it with expensive premium models. Maybe when the brand is selling a million cars a year you might consider a high-end hatchback.

Porsche did it

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Test drove an iX today it was pretty neat.

Sat in an i4, wasn’t very comfortable for me.

You sat in the i4 wrong.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Steakandchips posted:

You sat in the i4 wrong.

Maybe he was tucked in the alcove near the front engine.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Steakandchips posted:

You sat in the i4 wrong.

I'm NFL O-line size.

In most cars, as long as they're not tiny and as long as they don't have totally poo poo ergonomics, I'll have enough head room and leg room. Then the next issue is always shoulder room. And whether or not I have enough shoulder room in a regular sized car (i.e. not a huge truck or SUV) is almost like a random event. I don't think it's because of better design I think it's just like the B pillar happens to be in the exact right spot or be the exact right thickness or have the exact right cutout on it's front edge or whatever. The Mach-e was always tight on my shoulders and so is the i4 but for some reason the Model 3 isn't.

The iX was insanely comfortable. If I get tired of the performance of the M3P I could see myself splurging on the iX just because of the comfort and luxury angle. Wish they made them in some better colors though their whole palette seems real muted. The red seems okay but I don't think I like it as much as Tesla's red.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

I'm NFL O-line size.

In most cars, as long as they're not tiny and as long as they don't have totally poo poo ergonomics, I'll have enough head room and leg room. Then the next issue is always shoulder room. And whether or not I have enough shoulder room in a regular sized car (i.e. not a huge truck or SUV) is almost like a random event. I don't think it's because of better design I think it's just like the B pillar happens to be in the exact right spot or be the exact right thickness or have the exact right cutout on it's front edge or whatever. The Mach-e was always tight on my shoulders and so is the i4 but for some reason the Model 3 isn't.

The iX was insanely comfortable. If I get tired of the performance of the M3P I could see myself splurging on the iX just because of the comfort and luxury angle. Wish they made them in some better colors though their whole palette seems real muted. The red seems okay but I don't think I like it as much as Tesla's red.

One of the nice things about BMW is with a little bit extended wait time and typically ~$5-10k extra you can have nearly any color you want on your car.
https://www.bmwusa.com/innovations/bmw-individual.html#!%23special-order-paint

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chin Strap posted:

If I bought and took ownership of my EV6 in March, will I be able to get the 7.5k tax credit even if I make over 300k joint?

As long as you took ownership (or even some reservations) before Aug 17 of this year you get the credit.

The changes are insanely dumb for a bill that hyped expanding the tax credit.

Also the rise in traffic deaths is (my called shot with no evidence) covid brain fog increasing accidents.

I'm other news my Mach-E came in on Aug16 and I got a few days to drive it before it went back to the shop for PPF. I'm really enjoying it, drives nice and good features.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ok Comboomer posted:

Porsche did it

Those are wagons.

And Porsche isn’t a new brand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m wondering if used (off lease) iXs will be a decent value in 3-4 years because they’re kind of perfect for me and sound great but dat price.

Who knows with how hosed up used car prices are.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm NFL O-line size.

You could consider getting a Taycan GTS and keeping it a few years for the same cost as buying a model 3 every 6 months.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

I’m wondering if used (off lease) iXs will be a decent value in 3-4 years because they’re kind of perfect for me and sound great but dat price.

Who knows with how hosed up used car prices are.

Would you trust a BMW battery pack to hold enough charge to be usable after the lease? iX is a chunky car so battery degradation will impact far worse than on a i3

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why would you trust them more or less than anyone else? Cell chemistry is cell chemistry.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bird sits in a car like Bruce Banner then shifts into Hulk mode, basically wearing the car around themselves.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
From a usability and safety standpoint, I hate touchscreens.
Accidents with fatalities in the US dropped over time and fell below 11 per 100k in 2009.
Rates dropped further still, but climbed back above 11 in 2015. Other than 2019 when it hit 10.99 per 100k, rates haven't dipped below 11 since. Worse, fatalities spiked over the next two years, reaching 12.89 in 2021 - rates not seen since 2007-8.

Similarly, the number of fatal crashes had been decreasing until 2009, when it dropped to around 30k for the first time since 1975. Fatal crashes had a small spike to 31k in 2012, but otherwise remained around 30k until 2015, when it spiked to 32k - and has only increased since.

Cars have gotten more complex, but also generally much safer over the years, while miles traveled went down over the pandemic. Since 2015 was pre-pandemic, my thought is that touchscreens - whether in cell phones or increased prevalence of car screens - are distracting us into more (also covid probably didn't help).

EVs being more computer controlled seem like they have even more prevalence of touchscreens than other vehicles, especially with Tesla.

Probably the closest to my ideal car is the XC40 Recharge, but that still has a touchscreen. I don't know what the solution is to this issue; it is much simpler and easier to use touchscreens than it is to build in buttons. I hope that Volvo reconsiders their movement to touchscreens in light of the recent safety testing showing touchscreen operation to be worse than drunk driving.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why would you trust them more or less than anyone else? Cell chemistry is cell chemistry.

I mean a 60% viable charge pack would still be usable with a decent urban range on a tiny light car while it would be far more limited if it required to lug around 3 tons of car.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

I mean a 60% viable charge pack would still be usable with a decent urban range on a tiny light car while it would be far more limited if it required to lug around 3 tons of car.

There's growing evidence that modern EV batteries, even from BMW, actually have very reasonable degradation over time, this seems like fearmongering to me.

As far as I know, BMW has both top and bottom buffers on their batteries, so they won't ever see that 100% SOC degradation you can get with Teslas :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

You could consider getting a Taycan GTS and keeping it a few years for the same cost as buying a model 3 every 6 months.

I can't even get into a Taycan my shoulders/arms get stuck between the steering wheel and the B pillar.