Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Charles Bukowski posted:

Wait prior to 78 the US only recognized Taiwan as China? Lol

You didn't learn about that in school? The government in Beijing and the government in Taiwan both claimed to be the legitimate government of China. For a while the USSR faction recognised PRC as the legitimate government of the whole territory, while the US led faction recognised the RC in Taiwan as the legitimate government of the whole thing instead. Because communists.

It was a big deal when Nixon opened up diplomatic relations with communist china.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that was after the prc-ussr relations got so bad they had a few small battles at the border. so it was still subordinate to the main goal of the us that entire half-century

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

You didn't learn about that in school? The government in Beijing and the government in Taiwan both claimed to be the legitimate government of China. For a while the USSR faction recognised PRC as the legitimate government of the whole territory, while the US led faction recognised the RC in Taiwan as the legitimate government of the whole thing instead. Because communists.

It was a big deal when Nixon opened up diplomatic relations with communist china.

I'm not from America.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that was after the prc-ussr relations got so bad they had a few small battles at the border. so it was still subordinate to the main goal of the us that entire half-century

Yeah there was a whole thing in the background about good communists vs. bad communists as they tried to spin why China was good now despite decades of anti-communist propaganda.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'm not from America.

I'm Canadian. It was part of 20th century world history, I think? High school history or current events or something in the 80s.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
unless you've got boatloads of cash to completely modernize your relic of a house, you do NOT want to live in the japanese inaka in the summer or the winter

unbearable heat in the summer, freezing cold in the winter, loving mukade and suzumebachi all over the loving place, even more mosquitoes, temperamental plumbing, earthquakes, landslides, typhoons, etc., etc.

but good internet, fall and spring are nice, you can barbeque, and people are way less racist than in tokyo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eau de MacGowan posted:

unless you've got boatloads of cash to completely modernize your relic of a house, you do NOT want to live in the japanese inaka in the summer or the winter

unbearable heat in the summer, freezing cold in the winter, loving mukade and suzumebachi all over the loving place, even more mosquitoes, temperamental plumbing, earthquakes, landslides, typhoons, etc., etc.

but good internet, fall and spring are nice, you can barbeque, and people are way less racist than in tokyo

Are they protected, or could you just knock the old place down and build a modern house on the land? You don't want to accidentally live in a Grudge house.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are they protected, or could you just knock the old place down and build a modern house on the land? You don't want to accidentally live in a Grudge house.

You can just buy empty land. No point in paying to knock down a house.

Only benefit could be utility lines already existing, assuming they are in good shape.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

just according to keikaku

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Wait, how does it work that the country folk are less racist than in Tokyo? Genuinely curious how that dynamic works.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Wait, how does it work that the country folk are less racist than in Tokyo? Genuinely curious how that dynamic works.

i lived in japan for eight years and the worst racist poo poo i got was in the golden gai in shinjuku every time

in the inaka they havent really met foreigners and theyre just genuinely curious about white people. they do the whole "wow you can use chopsticks" stuff but it's well-meaning, as opposed to some oval office in an italian suit grabbing your hair and disingenuously going "so pretty!" hoping to provoke you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

That is nice. Once you get a job in Korea or China they own your rear end and if it sucks enough and you can't talk them into releasing you your only way out is the old midnight run to the airport.

Amusingly, while there actually is an easily available and effective way to force your current employer to provide the necessary paperwork and confirmations for a transfer of employment in China...

...It takes about two months to work. But you only have about one month to fix your problem or gtfo, from the point at which your current employer starts to gently caress with you.

Alas.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm Canadian. It was part of 20th century world history, I think? High school history or current events or something in the 80s.

I'm also Canadian and graduated in 05. My rural highschool didn't offer much for humanities. I had to take History 12 via correspondence.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Facebook Aunt posted:

I never had a history class make it even as far as WWII (still unsure what happened in that one)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was definitely taught more about the silk road in China than the aboriginal Canadians in my own country. I can only assume little has changed and kids learn more about the defunct internet drug trafficking website Silk Road than aboriginals.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I learned more about Nigeria and Peru in social studies. Very useful knowledge.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Don't believe any sweeping generalizations people make on this topic.

But the countryside is not necessarily especially bad about it if that's your preconception.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

The japanese often tear down houses and build new one. most often someone passes the land is sub divided and new houses built on it. The dont really go for the whole vintage/historical house thing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ups_rail posted:

The japanese often tear down houses and build new one. most often someone passes the land is sub divided and new houses built on it. The dont really go for the whole vintage/historical house thing.

I remember reading about this somewhere... that Japanese houses last basically one generation/lifetime and then abandoned or torn down.

anybody know the economic/cultural/climactic/social/whatever reason?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Could be wrong, but I kind of assume it's more because there's so little space

It's also my understanding that's partly why cremation is a thing rather than full burial (again, could absolutely be wrong on this)

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I remember reading about this somewhere... that Japanese houses last basically one generation/lifetime and then abandoned or torn down.

Not an expert, but Ive heard part of it is earthquake/other building codes. The laws apparently get updated fairly frequently such that it's generally pretty true that newer=safer.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Empty Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiPGP_BDS4

Main reasons starts about halfway in, when he starts talking about tax and the other $ reasons

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Japanese housing is depreciable so you get to write off a portion of the cost of building the house each year on your taxes until you cover the whole cost of construction then you have to build again to start over. In contrast, in the US you get a mortgage interest deduction, but you can only depreciate if you are a running a business so there is no tax incentive to build new as a home owner.

There's also cultural stuff attached to how Japan went through a huge modernization period but I'm not well equipped to speak about that stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It does help keep housing fairly affordable since house values go down instead of up, but it's also lovely for the environment and Japanese construction tends to be really poor quality. "Earthquakes" is the common excuse but it's bullshit, plenty of places have earthquakes and also build good structures meant to last. Japanese construction is a huge industry, having lovely buildings that are replaced constantly is to some extent a racket they have going to keep the industry afloat.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Definitely see if these guys still do demolition in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awe7CZ2SxIE

That video where wrestlers take down a house, idk how to embed videos lol

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Questions for those who have taught in Japan:

It seems common that an EFL teacher is spread among 3-X schools (especially if one is working in a rural area). I remember (on another site) one woman said she went to seven different schools in a regular week. How does that work? Are you expected to create lesson plans and/or curriculum for a bunch of different skill levels and keep track of 15 different classrooms? Or is it similar to China where there's often a bunch of pre-made materials that you're supposed to use, so half the job is to show up and use what you have?

I've looked at some job postings (but not deeply) for Japan, and they were all like "must speak basic-to-intermediate Japanese, be willing to buy a car out of pocket (we will pay your gasoline up to the exact distance we have calculated it costs to go between schools), pay your own way to Japan, figure out your apartment situation, work at four different schools, and create amazing super duper lesson plans that bring your students into the next level of English skill. $1900 USD per month." Are these outlier situations, or is this more common?

I remember on a YouTube video (Mrs. Eats, or maybe her husband's channel), the guy was saying that there's no upward mobility while teaching there because of how the Japanese system works: if you switch companies, you always start at the bottom-rung salary. Unlike other places, where your years of experience can help you bounce into a higher-paying job/school, it seems like Japan has a reset button when you move around. Is that really the case?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol

https://twitter.com/NineDragons2/status/1559743259412496386

This is a good one too:

https://twitter.com/GearoidReidy/status/1560508475939389440

I'll be honest, they got me at first too. I thought it was a local Daiso branch or something.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 19, 2022

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll be honest, they got me at first too. I thought it was a local Daiso branch or something.

the first time I saw a miniso I did a doubletake and had to google if I was really looking at a knockoff uniqlomuji

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Holy poo poo, yeah they got me too. I've only seen one of their stores, and it was 2018 in the EU. All the prices were in yen! I dug up something I bought there and bc I'm a nerd ofc it still has all the label info, holy poo poo they really did lie and even put a Japanese headquarters address and everything

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, yeah they got me too. I've only seen one of their stores, and it was 2018 in the EU. All the prices were in yen! I dug up something I bought there and bc I'm a nerd ofc it still has all the label info, holy poo poo they really did lie and even put a Japanese headquarters address and everything

tag urself I'm the PP Folder

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Totally harmless. If you just want to relax and watch satellite TV for two weeks straight, this is the cruise ship for you.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Tarquinn posted:

Totally harmless. If you just want to relax and watch satellite TV for two weeks straight, this is the cruise ship for you.

"I tried this out because the price was right and I just needed to unplug for awhile. However, the accommodations were kinda spartan and it seems like the only channel it got was The Weather Channel, but some weird version that kept zooming in on random points on the map. I couldn't understand what they were saying though. 2 stars, probably wouldn't do again."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm the bare bear.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This is an old picture of the Soviet spy ship "Ural" anchored in Cam Ranh bay

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm the Designed by Japan

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Grand Fromage posted:

It does help keep housing fairly affordable since house values go down instead of up, but it's also lovely for the environment and Japanese construction tends to be really poor quality. "Earthquakes" is the common excuse but it's bullshit, plenty of places have earthquakes and also build good structures meant to last. Japanese construction is a huge industry, having lovely buildings that are replaced constantly is to some extent a racket they have going to keep the industry afloat.

Isn't the mob/Yakuza/triad big into the construction companies and subcontractors? Not a huge incentive to do better when people can be intimidated into shutting up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah the yakuza is involved with construction. Not sure how big that influence is, and yakuza have been in decline anyway. Japan has even started to act like maybe criminal syndicates shouldn't be allowed to operate openly in recent years. Truly times are changing.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
there isn't room for yakuza in construction because that racket is for corrupt politicians now

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

They recruited Japanese designers early on to make all their stuff, so while it was a daiso knock off it wasn’t a complete fraud. It’s funny they are going to undo it tho. Miniso is (was?) great to buy random small things.

Reminds me of how to this day some people think Superdry is a Japanese brand when it’s just made by white people in the UK who threw Japanese words on things cuz they thought it looked cool.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

PITY BONER posted:

Questions for those who have taught in Japan:

There are way too many weebs willing to work for minimums wage now. The whole industry is bottoming out and I don’t recommend it as anything but a short working holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Ginza is an odd address for the headquarters of a large company, but Chinese people would know it from shopping.