Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Linux file systems include so many drat places for programs to store their junk and there doesn’t appear to be any real standardization outside the folders in the root directory. Windows is nearly as bad with its hidden %appdata% folders.

I feel like on the Deck there’s half a dozen places a program can live depending on whether it’s native Linux, a Windows game run with Proton, a flatpack, etc.

Yes that also pisses me off, storing data in /etc/home or within the folder location (which you now have 30 apps defaulting to one directory and it's now just the equivalent of throwing all of your legos on the floor and then you rely heavily on knowing how to search for it properly or what it was called that you were looking for, or that there's documentation telling you what to look for if you even know what to cross reference while you stare at terminal trying to find the data you're looking for) File already exists README, overwrite? No....install to your own loving folder wtf. And don't tell me that you should set the install directory ahead of time, don't assume the user, even on linux, is capable. Users are not capable.

Like, I like that macs will store their app-specific data within their own app specific folders and nowhere else. However on the same hand I don't like that they completely obfuscate that information from other apps when trying to retrieve it.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
From videos it does seem like when you transfer an exe to install on the deck it just becomes a clusterfuck of folders and installs. It all works, but I assume after a while junk just piles.

RoastBeef posted:

I thought today was pretty unlikely, but next week is looking promising.

I'm at 19% today, if my chart aligns with yours I may get my Deck the 1st week of September which is nuts considering I ordered April this year.

0 way to actually know if that will hold up because past shipping is not an indicator of future, but fun to look at.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Athanatos posted:

From videos it does seem like when you transfer an exe to install on the deck it just becomes a clusterfuck of folders and installs. It all works, but I assume after a while junk just piles.

Yeah, if you put an exe in and have steam use proton on it, it does the needful to get a fake drive C in there and potentially any needed runtimes (msvcrt, .net, whatever). Turns kind of into a mess since it's just in compatdata/<big number>/ with no clear indication of which big number is which game. Even steam games you have to look up the appID to figure out what's what. But that's computers, after all.

There are, as usual, a few "standards" for where things go though many of them on Linux are more conventions than anything. There was an effort to have some kind of spec in the Linux Standard Base but it never caught on for a variety of reasons. There's the XDG basedir spec that Arch among others does use, mostly, which specifies some well-known directories and how to find them, as well as how programs should store user-specific data. Some things use it and many do not. $XDG_DATA_HOME should be $HOME/.local/share by default and programs should put their own folder under that; Steam does follow this.

Firefox, however, does not, putting its data in $HOME/.mozilla. Standards, am I right?

GolfHole posted:

Man trying to Mirror desktop mode from the Deck to any other monitor is a gigantic pain in the behind. Anybody found a method to this madness?

edit: I take it the Deck itself is a 'Laptop' screen
Why does it have to be rotated 270*?

The only way I've done that is by using Steam to remote play the Deck in desktop mode. You probably can get a VNC client and enable a VNC server on the deck but I haven't bothered with that yet.

Also the screen on the deck is a portrait-mode display which is why the bootloader is in portrait mode and desktop mode is briefly portrait before xrandr kicks in.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Athanatos posted:

I'm at 19% today, if my chart aligns with yours I may get my Deck the 1st week of September which is nuts considering I ordered April this year.

0 way to actually know if that will hold up because past shipping is not an indicator of future, but fun to look at.

You haven't lived until you've posted on the Deck

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Got my email for EU 256gb ordered on September 26th, progress is happening!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
SMT5 was really good, and aside from the part where the combat system completely collapsed near the end, TMS ruled too. I'm looking forward to Soul Hackers 2, and am very terrified of the teleporter mazes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yes that also pisses me off, storing data in /etc/home

I’ve never even encountered /etc/home, huh.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

parasyte posted:

Firefox, however, does not, putting its data in $HOME/.mozilla. Standards, am I right?
~/.mozilla was where the Mozilla Suite stored its user data when it was open-sourced from Netscape Communicator in the late 90s. Firefox inherited it when that spun off from Mozilla a few years later. This predates the XDG Base Directory Specification that popularized ~/.local/share. Firefox probably should have migrated to that at some point, but, meh?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve never even encountered /etc/home, huh.

To be honest, I was pulling a directory out of the hat, but you know what i mean, I'm sure

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What settings do you guys use for Duckstation? I have this problem where frame rates will suddenly and arbitrarily cut in half for a while, and nothing I do seems to affect it. I've only really played Symphony of the Night on it so I dunno if it's just a SOTN problem or what.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok got dual boot setup again but this time I went through the trouble of setting up rEFInd for that sweet custom boot loader action. It's nice!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What's the situation like for SteamOS on the desktop? Has Valve updated that at all, or are they only focusing on the Steam Deck? Would you be better off going with some other distro if you want to put linux on a gaming PC like some kind of sick freak?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I am in the Deck club and playing Final Fantasy XIV on the toilet is dreamy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zurtilik posted:

Nice deck bro

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's the situation like for SteamOS on the desktop? Has Valve updated that at all, or are they only focusing on the Steam Deck? Would you be better off going with some other distro if you want to put linux on a gaming PC like some kind of sick freak?
There's an unofficial distro that's ripped from the Deck recovery image but, I don't get the point. Proton comes with Steam already, the only thing you get installing holo is the new big picture mode and a bunch of portable PC poo poo that you probably won't need on a desktop.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Athanatos posted:

I'm at %13 today. Which is even more nuts considering I ordered about 20 minutes ago.

Does anyone know if you can have it shipped to a fedex store (is it always fedex in the US?) for pickup? I travel for a living and frequently have to leave my apartment unattended for several days in a row. To make matters worse my apartment is right by the staircase so several hundred people walk right past my front door every day. If I'm not home when a package is delivered there's a pretty decent chance it'll wander off before I have a chance to pick it up.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Zurtilik posted:

Better having a deck on the shitter than having a shitter on your deck

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

There's an unofficial distro that's ripped from the Deck recovery image but, I don't get the point. Proton comes with Steam already, the only thing you get installing holo is the new big picture mode and a bunch of portable PC poo poo that you probably won't need on a desktop.

I don't know poo poo about linux. The point would be to get something that just works for gaming out of the box, no tinkering needed. I don't know if that's what Steam OS would bring, or if there are better distros for this.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got my order email earlier today and you'd best believe I mashed my :btroll: fingers typing in my credit card info on it and I look forward to playing Vampire Survivors on it exclusively. Also got my 1TB 2230 NVMe SSD I bought cheap months ago on standby to slam in there as well...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

My Deck got delivered just now and FFXIV is the first thing I'm installing. 73 GB left to download...

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Vic posted:

Better having a deck on the shitter than having a shitter on your deck

:hmmyes:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone messed with formatting the SD card to BTRFS so you can use it on both SteamOS and Windows? There’s some pretty fun things you can do with it like link the game folder on windows so you can install a game on the SD card and boot it on either operating system.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

I'm at %13 today. Which is even more nuts considering I ordered about 20 minutes ago.

Does anyone know if you can have it shipped to a fedex store (is it always fedex in the US?) for pickup? I travel for a living and frequently have to leave my apartment unattended for several days in a row. To make matters worse my apartment is right by the staircase so several hundred people walk right past my front door every day. If I'm not home when a package is delivered there's a pretty decent chance it'll wander off before I have a chance to pick it up.

Just put the address for the FedEx store with ATT: (Your Name) on the second line. Call or visit the store to ask first, but I've done it without issue.

eg:

FedEx Store
Att: KodiakRS
11 Dork Street
Bumfuck, AL 69420

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm picking up an Oculus today and apparently they can wirelessly connect to a PC and play steam games. Now I'm assuming the deck isn't strong enough for that but the Oculus is a standalone unit so not sure if it assists at all, anyone know for sure if that's a doable combo at all?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I’m having a blast playing Bloodstained on the Deck. I beat it a few years ago when it came out but they’ve added tons of poo poo since and I’m having fun rediscovering the game. There’s some frame rate hiccups here and there but it’s minor and I can’t be hosed with trying to adjust any default settings to improve it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Opopanax posted:

I'm picking up an Oculus today and apparently they can wirelessly connect to a PC and play steam games. Now I'm assuming the deck isn't strong enough for that but the Oculus is a standalone unit so not sure if it assists at all, anyone know for sure if that's a doable combo at all?

The only way I know how to stream steam games to the Oculus is by using Virtual Desktop and just streaming the game from the PC using that. I seriously doubt you can split the processing between the deck and oculus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone messed with formatting the SD card to BTRFS so you can use it on both SteamOS and Windows? There’s some pretty fun things you can do with it like link the game folder on windows so you can install a game on the SD card and boot it on either operating system.

Update on this: Formatting took no effort and now I can use the SD card on both system, yay! I also linked the windows and steamos steam folders and tried a game (MH Rise) and I can boot it off the SD card on either operating system. This owns.

Now for the real test: installing a mod manager so I can manage and keep mods up to date on Windows while playing the modded Sunbreak on SteamOS.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cowman posted:

The only way I know how to stream steam games to the Oculus is by using Virtual Desktop and just streaming the game from the PC using that. I seriously doubt you can split the processing between the deck and oculus.

There’s Linux solutions to it and Oculus itself has a native option (AirLink). You’d need to dual boot Windows and install the Oculus software for it, tho. So yeah you can prob VR on the deck but there’s not many games I can see running well.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s Linux solutions to it and Oculus itself has a native option (AirLink). You’d need to dual boot Windows and install the Oculus software for it, tho. So yeah you can prob VR on the deck but there’s not many games I can see running well.

I tried Airlink and it didn't work very well. I was right next to the router too so it wasn't a connection issue.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I figured it wouldn’t really work but wanted to see. The guy I was supposed to be buying it off tested positive for Covid this morning though so guess I won’t find out for a bit

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Taking a break from work for a bit to jump around and find a few chests in Crystal Project is an absolute treat on the Deck. My in-game time is bonkers with how the system sleeps, but at least Steam adjusts the proper time afterward. What a system.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

jokes posted:

Also, FFXI (with Windower) works really really well on the Deck. Highly recommend it. FF14/XIVLauncher too. Finally, a dedicated Final Fantasy machine.

My Deck came and I'm so loving excited about both of those. Waiting for a lil' bluetooth keyboard to arrive before I start configuring anything that requires that much tinkering, though.

Time to top up on crysta. :riker:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://sharedeck.games/ should be in the OP

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shart Carbuncle posted:

My Deck came and I'm so loving excited about both of those. Waiting for a lil' bluetooth keyboard to arrive before I start configuring anything that requires that much tinkering, though.

Time to top up on crysta. :riker:

FFXI works right out of the box and downloads in the normal, hosed up way so you can at least get that started before you get to tinkering.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there a guide for getting FFXIV non-steam to install, etc.? Wasn't sure if I needed to do anything special, I remember seeing that the XIVLauncher worked I think. Guess it's time for me to learn to play on a controller.

Really loving my deck so far, got emudeck installed and played through a bit of metal gear solid this morning. I'm impressed with some of the things it can handle steam game wise, and only had one hard crash while trying to get mods working in Monster Hunter Rise.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mr E posted:

Is there a guide for getting FFXIV non-steam to install, etc.? Wasn't sure if I needed to do anything special, I remember seeing that the XIVLauncher worked I think. Guess it's time for me to learn to play on a controller.

Yeah, there's a guide they have here: https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck.html

Most important thing is that it uses the FFXIV free trial game to get it to handle Steam input correctly, so you'll need to install that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

parasyte posted:

Yeah, there's a guide they have here: https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck.html

Most important thing is that it uses the FFXIV free trial game to get it to handle Steam input correctly, so you'll need to install that.

I followed this guide today and it worked perfectly.
Also, look for the shared button layout that binds the right touchpad as another DPad which seems super useful because it lets you use all skills while moving (unlike a regular gamepad).

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 19, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aw goddamnit, I bought death stranding during the last sale there, haven't gotten to it yet, and now it's coming to game pass next week :argh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How well does the Cloud Streaming thing work for Xbox Game Pass? I have it, but haven't set it up yet. My internet and wireless are generally pretty excellent and Steam Link works a charm, but I've never tried the cloud stuff before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

How well does the Cloud Streaming thing work for Xbox Game Pass? I have it, but haven't set it up yet. My internet and wireless are generally pretty excellent and Steam Link works a charm, but I've never tried the cloud stuff before.

Works about as well as you’d expect if you’ve used steam link before. You’re just connecting to their servers.