Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

A Moose posted:

I don't get cosmetics. Diablo games don't have ROOM for cosmetics. You can barely see your character, and you need to be able to see all the enemies around you clearly so your spell effects can't be too pretty, and you can't have large cosmetic pets running around.
Transmog in D3 is pretty neat. A diablo game could easily sell alternative aesthetics for classes, the stereotypical mmo cosmetics, various glows, alternate skill aesthetics, UI skins, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

big cummers ONLY posted:

While I accept paid cosmetics, I don't agree with arguments defending them. I miss having a game I paid for once, and then I can just enjoy it and not worry about balancing FOMO for a connected product upgrade vs spending more of my increasingly limited games budget. I don't care that cosmetics do not influence gameplay. if something looks cool, I want it, and it sucks that I am being tempted to spend more money at all. I've already spent the money and now is the dopamine time.

There are a variety of arguments for why this is a "me" problem and not the game's fault but I don't care about them because my bottom line is that I don't want to feel a sense of incompleteness in a game that cannot be remedied unless I fork over money. I want a complete game. Design that creates that empty feeling to drive additional sales is bad for the consumer and every argument for why it should exist just sounds like copium to me. That's my hot take, ty for reading

If it will truly be supported for years and with a much larger team than d3 currently has, that's a pretty good trade off IMO. For a non live service game, I'd agree. That dev cost has gotta come from somewhere. :capitalism:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Even D3's meager dev is probably coming exclusively from the China cash shop.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Suburban Dad posted:

If it will truly be supported for years and with a much larger team than d3 currently has, that's a pretty good trade off IMO. For a non live service game, I'd agree. That dev cost has gotta come from somewhere. :capitalism:

This explains why the mechanism exists but doesn't mean its good imo. Still copium. We're so used to being constantly asked for money that we internalize the least offensive practices as being "good". People say reality started falling apart with X or y, for me, X is horse armor

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My hot take is that I don't think it would be good for consumers if Blizzard shipped Diablo 4 and then only supported it with a few months of bugfixes and maybe a handful of balance tweaks before shutting off the lights and moving on to the next project.

Maybe copium huffing gamers have been abused into this line of thinking, but I think they might in fact be quite mad if that happened!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
The only time I notice the characters cosmetics for either diablo or wow is on logging in to the character screen. Once I'm in the game the camera is so far back most of the details are obscured by everything else.

Also agree with the poster that additional monetary transactions after buying a game are doo doo.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Scoss posted:

My hot take is that I don't think it would be good for consumers if Blizzard shipped Diablo 4 and then only supported it with a few months of bugfixes and maybe a handful of balance tweaks before shutting off the lights and moving on to the next project.

Maybe copium huffing gamers have been abused into this line of thinking, but I think they might in fact be quite mad if that happened!

The only other possible option. I feel such the fool

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

big cummers ONLY posted:

The only other possible option. I feel such the fool

If you're aware of a "third way" that has been proven out by other AAA developers, I'd love to know about them! I simply described the standard level of support you could expect from most games before the invention of the dreaded horse armor.

Diablo's historical contemporaries are either games that largely do not receive substantial free post-launch support, or Path of Exile and other F2P games with business models that I assume you would consider odious.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 19, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

big cummers ONLY posted:

While I accept paid cosmetics, I don't agree with arguments defending them. I miss having a game I paid for once, and then I can just enjoy it and not worry about balancing FOMO for a connected product upgrade vs spending more of my increasingly limited games budget. I don't care that cosmetics do not influence gameplay. if something looks cool, I want it, and it sucks that I am being tempted to spend more money at all. I've already spent the money and now is the dopamine time.

There are a variety of arguments for why this is a "me" problem and not the game's fault but I don't care about them because my bottom line is that I don't want to feel a sense of incompleteness in a game that cannot be remedied unless I fork over money. I want a complete game. Design that creates that empty feeling to drive additional sales is bad for the consumer and every argument for why it should exist just sounds like copium to me. That's my hot take, ty for reading

You should really check out Outriders.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

You should really check out Outriders.

Just pulled up a giant bomb quick look of it, thanks! What do you like most about it?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Khorne posted:

Transmog in D3 is pretty neat. A diablo game could easily sell alternative aesthetics for classes, the stereotypical mmo cosmetics, various glows, alternate skill aesthetics, UI skins, etc.

Not a major problem in the scheme of things, but this stuff is why scenes with multiple PCs in modern MMOs look like clown vomit. They're all selling wings and halos and sparkles to make your character look as fancy as possible on the character select screen, and then in game they're about 500% too busy and have no cohesion with the game world.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Becoming incapacitated by FOMO because I can't have all the pixels

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Scoss posted:

If you're aware of a "third way" that has been proven out by other AAA developers, I'd love to know about them! I simply described the standard level of support you could expect from most games before the invention of the dreaded horse armor.

Diablo's historical contemporaries are either games that largely do not receive substantial free post-launch support, or Path of Exile and other F2P games with business models that I assume you would consider odious.

Blizzard is going to make an unbelievable amount of money on D4. They could easily set aside enough money to fund a maintenance team for like 20 years, and that's putting aside the long-term revenue generated by supporting games well, and the major income generated by selling significant gameplay/content expansions.

It will never stop amazing me how willing people are to buy in to massive entertainment company arguments that "we NEEEEED more money" when their filings show that they are consistently some of the most profitable businesses in existence. It's pure greed enabled by immature customer bases that aren't willing to stand up for themselves.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They've supported in some way D3 for seven years, I'm sure they'll support D4 the same if not better. I remember when Sim 4 came out, flopped like D3 and EA closed the entire franchise. Which didn't happen with D3. D3 flopped terribly when it released, between the servers and the auction house and the huge difficulty of the game, Blizzard kept at it and eventually D3 became if not spectacular, at least playable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You have a funny definition of flop, because Diablo III broke several sales records in ore-orders and on release. It made a fuckin shitload of money then amd on anyone that stuck it out for the two years of vanilla and in spite of all the criticism and frustration it caused at launch and in summer 2012.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D3 never flopped commercially, nor was it ever at any risk of doing so. It’s sold over 30 million copies lifetime.Even beyond the whole toxic workplace stuff, the Blizzard that extensively revamped D3 just doesn’t have the same reputation either as they’ve let entire WoW expansions and War3 Reforged to wither on the vine. Minor as it seems, D3 is like the only game in their retinue now that has been consistently updated for the better.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

K8.0 posted:

It will never stop amazing me how willing people are to buy in to massive entertainment company arguments that "we NEEEEED more money" when their filings show that they are consistently some of the most profitable businesses in existence. It's pure greed enabled by immature customer bases that aren't willing to stand up for themselves.

There is literally not a single team at any AAA studio on the planet that has ever committed to the kind of substantial ongoing support we're talking about, without some kind of continuing revenue mechanism. I'm not going to pretend to be a business or finance expert, but personally the lack of any kind of counterexample makes me reluctant to accept simple explanations like "gamers just haven't risen up enough".

Scoss fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 19, 2022

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
It is pure corporate greed of course, but their justification for it is that 30 million lifetime copies of D3 sold at $60 a pop is still only 1.8 billion dollars made. League of Legends makes that every year, and Fortnite makes almost 6 billion a year. Blizzard wants to make way more money.

The main argument in favor of this that I've seen around the internet is it will give Blizzard the money needed to support the game for years to come. I have doubts about that, but we will see...

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Not a major problem in the scheme of things, but this stuff is why scenes with multiple PCs in modern MMOs look like clown vomit. They're all selling wings and halos and sparkles to make your character look as fancy as possible on the character select screen, and then in game they're about 500% too busy and have no cohesion with the game world.

This is the best part of Final Fantasy XIV though?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

The only time I notice the characters cosmetics for either diablo or wow is on logging in to the character screen. Once I'm in the game the camera is so far back most of the details are obscured by everything else.

Also agree with the poster that additional monetary transactions after buying a game are doo doo.

You can use that far back view to your advantage making a shield throw crusader that looks like Captain America.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

A Moose posted:

This is the best part of Final Fantasy XIV though?

Yeah I agree, FFXIV is really bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Diablo 4 Battle Pass Path of Cain

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

big cummers ONLY posted:

Just pulled up a giant bomb quick look of it, thanks! What do you like most about it?

It’s a 3rd person shooter in a nice and unique sci-fi setting with its own sense of attitude and style and decent TLC impelling characters, but with the Itemization and build crafting of Diablo 3. It’s Diablo 3 DNA is extremely front and center and they are very clear about wanting to do exactly what you want ie “we want to release a fully feature complete game with ZERO micro-transactions”. The recent expansion added basically Greater Rifts and Paragon levels and like 100 new items. My brother and I played it together for like 400 hours. I just love the build diversity, itemization, and the armor design is so sick all my characters look so dope.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
OH snap, I might have to come back to that game. FYI you can still play the base game of Outriders for $1 via a trial for Xbox PC Game Pass. There was a free demo as well, but it seemed really limited and not a great representation of the game.

Be aware I don't think your progress would carry over if you switch to Steam later on.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s a 3rd person shooter in a nice and unique sci-fi setting with its own sense of attitude and style and decent TLC impelling characters, but with the Itemization and build crafting of Diablo 3. It’s Diablo 3 DNA is extremely front and center and they are very clear about wanting to do exactly what you want ie “we want to release a fully feature complete game with ZERO micro-transactions”. The recent expansion added basically Greater Rifts and Paragon levels and like 100 new items. My brother and I played it together for like 400 hours. I just love the build diversity, itemization, and the armor design is so sick all my characters look so dope.

Did they fix the game design where your most powerful skill is just a button you press on cooldown that makes your bullets do more damage? The build variety and skill balance/itemization put me off once I hit the end game but it was pretty fun until then.

Also when they fixed that "bugged" item passive that reduced your damage taken by 70% or something and all the monsters just one shot you once they fixed it.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

I have doubts about that, but we will see...

I wish I still had this optimism but I cannot imagine still having any. I don't think we need to wait and see, in the same way I don't need to leave a steak out and walk away to "wait and see" if my dog assassinates it

Bust Rodd posted:

Okay I bought it, it looks great. Sucks that the servers are going to rust away into nothing in 3 months because they won't ask me to buy more cosmetics, forever

e: also the game is on sale right now, can a financial expert explain to me how it is thermodynamically possible to hemorrhage this much money

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 19, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Star Man posted:

You have a funny definition of flop, because Diablo III broke several sales records in ore-orders and on release. It made a fuckin shitload of money then amd on anyone that stuck it out for the two years of vanilla and in spite of all the criticism and frustration it caused at launch and in summer 2012.

I don’t mean flopped commercially, I doubt SimCity 4 did either. But D3 was not fun to play for something like a year and a half. Since I don’t own Activision stock, that’s a flop in my opinion.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

big cummers ONLY posted:

Okay I bought it, it looks great. Sucks that the servers are going to rust away into nothing in 3 months because they won't ask me to buy more cosmetics, forever

e: also the game is on sale right now, can a financial expert explain to me how it is thermodynamically possible to hemorrhage this much money

Did you make sure to buy the bundle that includes the horse armor? And the expansion pack that costs more than the base game and is currently sitting at a 30% positive rating, with the predominant review sentiment being "it's a ripoff"? It seems like your experience would be incomplete without those essentials.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Scoss posted:

There is literally not a single team at any AAA studio on the planet that has ever committed to the kind of substantial ongoing support we're talking about, without some kind of continuing revenue mechanism. I'm not going to pretend to be a business or finance expert, but personally the lack of any kind of counterexample makes me reluctant to accept simple explanations like "gamers just haven't risen up enough".

Closest thing I can think of is No man's sky even though it's done by a pretty small team. Wasn't great at release and they turned it around and have made it into something great. All for just the base game cost. But a big corporation would usually just abandon it like Anthem.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Suburban Dad posted:

Closest thing I can think of is No man's sky even though it's done by a pretty small team. Wasn't great at release and they turned it around and have made it into something great. All for just the base game cost. But a big corporation would usually just abandon it like Anthem.

No Man's Sky is also a passion project by the lead dev so continuing to stick with it past the release date his publisher made him push it out on wasn't really a tough choice when they made enough money on the initial sales to support it

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
TBH, the thing that hit me the hardest from the quarterly update was the picture of the paragon stuff they just slipped right in. I know they talked before about the paragon boards and whatever, but seeing it pictured gave me a waaaaay more visceral response than reading about it.

Seriously, what the hell is that garbage? Is that a loving search bar in your talent tree, Blizzard? What are you even doing!?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Looks loving awesome op

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They finally made Outriders into a good game? I remember it was fairly solidly panned on release.

I guess that makes the Diablo 3 comparison even more apt.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Don’t buy Outriders if you want a diverse gameplay experience. Do buy Outriders if you and your friends want to absolutely destroy aliens and mutants with lightning and fire and earthquakes and time travel magic and absolutely sick magic guns while looking completely sick as gently caress.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Buy outriders if you enjoy doing one thing over and over again

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I am sorry bust rodd, but people should not but outriders. This is an incredible statement because it’s the first game where I could teleport next to someone, slice him open with a time knife then time bubble the heavy armor guy next to him, down two more guys with a rifle and explode the heavy armor guy before teleporting back to where I started and sneak around the enemies who saw me just kill four guys.

Despite this, Outriders is not a good game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I tried Outriders for a bit and was not particularly enchanted. Felt like I had already seen this kind of thing a dozen times before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean the thing about Outriders is that it only does what it does. It doesn’t do anything outside of “create dude, equip dude, shoot the dudes, loot the dudes” but I don’t need it to be another Destiny 2 or Diablo 3 or Anthem. The powers are cool, the guns are cool, and there are no MTX, you just buy the game (and the one xpansion that is basically it’s version of Reaper of Souls) and you can get 50-100 hours out of it, maybe more if you get into it. I am not saying that it’s the best looter shooter ever, I’m just saying that it knows exactly what it’s trying to do and does it as well as anything else in the genre does.

I promise you’ve spent time playing way worse video games that weren’t as balanced or fun to play as Outriders. If you’ve got Game Pass just try it for free, one of the things I really love about Outriders is that you can start build crafting immediately, no need to wait until max level or endgame to start juggling mods and balancing stats or upgrading your loot.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bio347 posted:

TBH, the thing that hit me the hardest from the quarterly update was the picture of the paragon stuff they just slipped right in. I know they talked before about the paragon boards and whatever, but seeing it pictured gave me a waaaaay more visceral response than reading about it.

Seriously, what the hell is that garbage? Is that a loving search bar in your talent tree, Blizzard? What are you even doing!?

Paragon Resets will be a thing, but you have to buy them from the cash shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I had fun with Outriders and felt the story was underrated. I would love for them expand on it with a sequel but it looks like that is not in the cards.