Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bastian Schweinsteiger was 30 when he signed for Manchester United

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
That is an absolute ton of money for a 30 year old but United have needed some positive personnel movement in their central midfield for a decade so I can’t blame them.

It seems absolutely bizarre to me that United don’t seem interested in signing a new striker. Even without having a striker who scores a ton of goals just having someone who does the basic work of a striker would open the game up for the rest of their offense.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

That is an absolute ton of money for a 30 year old but United have needed some positive personnel movement in their central midfield for a decade so I can’t blame them.

It seems absolutely bizarre to me that United don’t seem interested in signing a new striker. Even without having a striker who scores a ton of goals just having someone who does the basic work of a striker would open the game up for the rest of their offense.

They're supposedly working on some strikers but nothing solid yet. First they're apparently going to drop 100mil euros on Antony

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

This is the signing that will work. Definitely this one. All the other expensive midfielders were practices but this is the real deal

:hai:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

schweinsteiger 2.0 this time for 60 million lol

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

schweinsteiger did nothing wrong

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Schweinsteiger is going to help the Chicago Fire win a World Cup.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheRat posted:

Speaking of Charlie, I wouldn't mind a bit of Charlie Savage game time this season. He seems like the real deal.

I saw him play twice for Wales u21s last season and he's just a poo poo Oli Ewing.

We all love a bit of nepotism though.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Assy-Pirlo

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Any time you can sign a 30+ guy that’s won everything to play for your Europa league squad you gotta do it for all the money

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Honestly incredible business by Madrid, pick up your DM of the future in Tchouameni for 80 mil, sell your 30 year old DM for 60 and probably drop the wage bill in the process.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Caaemiro will be really good for Man Utd the next two seasons

Personally love Caaemiro because he's our oval office of a player but I trust Madrid, they've done nothing but good business. Casemiros role is 100% physical and he's getting up there in age.

Just sad we're not signing someone like Bernando Silva for the money - even out of position he would be a great RW

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Please Florentino sign Endrick with the money

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

I get this but also why didn't they spend that money on someone younger, both because then they might be quality for more than another couple years and also they'd probably be on lower wages so they could put more towards the transfer fee? Is casemiro going to be the difference that gets them top 4?

Also I know it's not really comparable, but City getting Haaland for about what United are paying for Casemiro makes me lol heartily

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sourdough posted:

Is casemiro going to be the difference that gets them top 4?

He certainly could be. There's a massive hole in that defensive midfield.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
When United first signed Martial, he was electric. I remember thinking they signed a player that looked like a young Anelka or Henry and being real mad about it. He's stagnated so long and I think he's missed his chance to make the next step up. Fully expect to see him in a continental league within a season or two and performing well but not good enough to be in a big club.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1560707140918067201

I'm not falling into the bold trap again though!!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Vinestalk posted:

When United first signed Martial, he was electric. I remember thinking they signed a player that looked like a young Anelka or Henry and being real mad about it. He's stagnated so long and I think he's missed his chance to make the next step up. Fully expect to see him in a continental league within a season or two and performing well but not good enough to be in a big club.

Seems like an eventual signing for a big Turkish club

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I thought we were suppose to sign Mbappe and Haaland in this transfer window, Papa Flo plz what happened

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Comunicado Oficial is out
https://www.realmadrid.com/noticias/2022/08/19/comunicado-oficial-casemiro

https://mobile.twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1560709385739026434?s=19

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

sourdough posted:

I get this but also why didn't they spend that money on someone younger

Because United’s scouting department is poo poo.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That genuinely seems like a decent bit of business, especially the performance/cl bit. Side note, I read somewhere that apparently one of the major reasons for Ronaldo sulking is that his contract had a major CL clause too and his wages went down by a shitload.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Shitshow posted:

Because United’s scouting department is poo poo.

They probably didn't buy the latest version of Football Manager since Moyes left.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sticksy posted:

They probably didn't buy the latest version of Football Manager since Moyes left.

Where's euroboy when you need him

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Casimero is gonna be like gently caress when he realizes he isn't partnered with Kroos and Modric anymore and has the United scrubs to deal with.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who will Madrid play instead of Casemiro? Do they have a defensive midfielder type already?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Vegetable posted:

Who will Madrid play instead of Casemiro? Do they have a defensive midfielder type already?

tchouameni is a very high prospect who will be great for them in all likelihood.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Only just bought the biggest DM talent in the world earlier in the window?

Also Camavinga, Ceballos, Kroos, Valverde

Casemiro was on 90k a week at Madrid, bet he's making big bucks now

Hegay fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 19, 2022

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

it's a lot of money for a 30-year-old, but if it consigns McFred to the netherealm it's a small price to pay

also apparently some fucker from Wolves who I've never heard of commands the same price as literally Zinedane Zidane so I now no longer have any mental marker for what a reasonable transfer fee is and I just angrily shout the number back at the news like a non-fascist version of my father

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I still measure all my transfers in andy carrolls

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

I remember when 24m for Didier Drogba was considered so outlandish that big transfers who weren't immediate successes were measured in Drogbas

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

the sex ghost posted:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

this is unfair, as I was assured by liverpool fans at the time that the "real" transfer cost of andy carroll was negative fifteen million pounds

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Like I'll be 112 years old and hooked up to tubes and poo poo, long having forgotten the names of my family and even who I myself am, and still remember 35 million and twelve thousand pounds

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hegay posted:

Casemiro was on 90k a week at Madrid, bet he's making big bucks now

I'm kinda outraged that any madrid player is on that little but especially one that is so consistent for them, gently caress. well done, nice raise lad

but this also means that cl clause isn't gonna mean poo poo since he just at least doubled his pay packet

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

greazeball posted:

I'm kinda outraged that any madrid player is on that little but especially one that is so consistent for them, gently caress. well done, nice raise lad

but this also means that cl clause isn't gonna mean poo poo since he just at least doubled his pay packet

"His wages [not double] will put Casemiro among Man Utd highest earners"

Seems like one of those things isn't true, unless 150k or whatever puts him among united's 10-15 highest earners lol

e: or the [not double] means it's more than doubled rather than less :stare: Not double...triple!!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
cashimiro

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Maybe Varane will be good now with his DM buddy in front of him.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

T Bowl posted:

Maybe Varane will be good now with his DM buddy in front of him.

Varane's problem is not being able to string appearances together before breaking into a million pieces, not sure how Casemiro helps there.

Great signing, I don't care what numbers get spent on players, better there than the Glazers loving skimming it. My only issue with the fee is we know there's only a certain amount the club is prepared to spend in any window so this absolutely writes off another decent midfield signing (definitely needed, we need more than one) and puts doubt on resolving the striker problem/getting cover on the wings/doing anything about the fullback problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Moonfacemiro

Btw Kalvin would have been a good replacement for him at RM now he'll rot on the city bench nstead