Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
God help me, I'm thinking of getting back in to this dumb hobby after being away from it for...6-7 years? My last bike was a CAAD10 that I ended up building up with Force/Rival. Looking forward to figuring out what electric shifting is like.

I'm thinking of being a giant stereotype and buying a Tarmac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Come dentist it up with us homie

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

God help me, I'm thinking of getting back in to this dumb hobby after being away from it for...6-7 years? My last bike was a CAAD10 that I ended up building up with Force/Rival. Looking forward to figuring out what electric shifting is like.

I got into it because the gym was closed.

"This Giant Cypress will always be enough for me; I just need a light exercise to do while the world sorts itself out!", I said.

I haven't stopped spending since then. And this was my third expensive hobby. And until last Friday, I hadn't engaged in my second expensive hobby for over two months, which is crazy. What was I doing instead? Riding my then-newest bike.

There is no escape.

Saw a Schwinn road bike from the 80s the other day. My wife was with me. She said she had to ride a bike just like that when she was younger, and I thought... we could buy this. It's $200. And Mrs. T would like it. And then I'd start buying parts and tools and I'd rebuilding it, which is something I like to do with my old basses. Then I'd have a steel road bike!

... I just got an aluminum road bike, which I think is great for me since I'm a MAMIL and not a racer. But I'd like a steel one too, because I was young when those were still a mainstream thing. And I'd like a steel cruiser with between 1-4 gears. OK... I can see right now that I need several more bikes, most of them outmoded in terms of materials.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?
Steel bikes are great

FredLordofCheese fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 21, 2022

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I've always been a bit apprehensive about Kramering into stores with my bike in tow uninvited, but also paranoid for even the ten seconds it takes to check if it's okay. Today my paranoia was well founded, someone zipped up to gas station while I had popped in to ask and loaded my bike into their truck bed before I turned around and spotted them, having only made it two steps inside. I managed to yank my bike out before they sped off, but they still ran over my foot (just lightly bruised) and it took a light tumble to the ground. The store was cool and I filed a police report since they likely caught it on their video surveillance, but it's ended my check first policy about bringing my bike in.

I'm mostly bummed because my shifting was D I A L E D but the hanger got bent when it fell off the truck and not even my hanger alignment tool has gotten it perfect yet.

Planet X posted:

I want a new wool jersey, probably lighter weight. Any suggestions? Club cut, maybe more on the classic / italian look. Its for when I ride my retrogrouch bike.

I've really liked my Torm long sleeve jerseys. I bought two about eight years ago and they're exclusively my winter kit (CA winters, so they're good from 55-70° and I just wear both if it's below 55). I don't care for them particularly well and there's only been a little bit of pilling on the one I wear probably twice as often. I have a wool Rapha short sleeve and I'd say they're about the same warmth but would give Rapha a slight edge in the fabric feel.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Do you find wool jersey pockets to be saggy though?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

That's a junior bike for teenagers with 650a (590) wheels.

I see other goons are falling for the Peugeot trap too. They all look pretty starting from the cheapest model. The racks and mudguards that fit perfectly look luxurious in this age but were just standard equipment on bikes that were expected to come with them.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Levitate posted:

Do you find wool jersey pockets to be saggy though?

If anything, the wool jersey has held up a lot better than my summer synthetic ones. It does have thicker material, but if wool has a reputation as being saggy, I haven't experienced it. I don't keep a lot in my pockets as well though, couple of bars, phone, small ID pouch with key.

These have probably been worn about the same number of times, but you can see the stretching occurring near the pockets and some white stretched areas poking through on the back panel.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FredLordofCheese posted:

Steel bikes are great

I don't give a poo poo either way about steel bikes, but that's a nice looking bike

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Idk but to me saggyness is due to seams giving up before any other failure mode

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Residency Evil posted:

Look at this scrub who only wants electronic shifting. Why not wireless? HMMM

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Residency Evil posted:

Tarmacs are generally very good bikes, and the current one is a standout race bike. It's a bit of a harsher ride than others, so be prepared unless that's a thing you like

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lads I did Mt Washington yesterday and now I’m riding around on a 26t chainring for a couple days. This is a riot. Spin to win or something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Lads I did Mt Washington yesterday and now I’m riding around on a 26t chainring for a couple days. This is a riot. Spin to win or something.

Nice

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Early apple season, people who put out crates of them deserve all the love.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

serious gaylord posted:

Look at this scrub who only wants electronic shifting. Why not wireless? HMMM

Isn't electronic all wireless these days? Or was there that first get DA version wired?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tarmacs are generally very good bikes, and the current one is a standout race bike. It's a bit of a harsher ride than others, so be prepared unless that's a thing you like

I used to ride an aluminum CAAD10. Looking forward to trying carbon!

spf3million posted:

Come dentist it up with us homie

:getin:

I'm going to hit up a bike shop today to check how long it takes to order a bike. Are things still a disaster?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"Disaster" is really variable. Also before ordering make sure you get a bike fit! No point in having a 10k bike if it's not comfortable to ride.

Residency Evil posted:

Isn't electronic all wireless these days? Or was there that first get DA version wired?

SRAM have a patent on batteries on derailleurs, which mean that Campy and Shimano both need battery units external to the front/rear mechs. Shimano have gotten around this by doing "semi wireless", which is that the battery and the front and rear mechs form a little circuit, and the shifters are powered by coin batteries (like the SRAM ones are) and they communicate with the rear mech.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
For 10k go to Wisconsin and make waterford measure you and make a frame to fit.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I was unlocking my bicycle at the DIY store. Next to me was a transport bike/bakfiets. Didn't really notice it, those things are everywhere, but suddenly some pretty ugly welds caught my eyes and i thought 'jesus, i'd return the thing to the shop'. And then i noticed the whole thing.

Someone just built their own 6000 euro Urban Arrow knock off and i applaud them for that.

Please excuse the picture quality, i was sweaty from cycling and the lens got dirty.

The whole thing. I like the boat bow-shape.

The fork appears to be a bit under rated for carrying big loads, or perhaps even just the weight of the bike itself, maybe?
Flashlight for being visible at night on the matte black murder machine!

Although the front seems to be fairly weak, the rear appears to consist of two rear bicycle frames welded together, one of which has been extended a couple of cm with some rebar.

Steering linkage and pedal assist system. The battery was taken from a Sparta. There's a potentiometer mounted on the handle bars. Perhaps the pedal assist is not related to pedal speed and it's just a motor speed regulator, the normal Sparta electronics have a +/- button on the handle bars. nope the battery's a completely different thing i notice now.

Frame, i guess?

I love it. Fighting gentrification, one Urban Arrow knock off at a time. I'd wanna park it uncomfortably close to the actual urban arrows in the posh part of Amsterdam.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 21, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Disaster" is really variable. Also before ordering make sure you get a bike fit! No point in having a 10k bike if it's not comfortable to ride.

SRAM have a patent on batteries on derailleurs, which mean that Campy and Shimano both need battery units external to the front/rear mechs. Shimano have gotten around this by doing "semi wireless", which is that the battery and the front and rear mechs form a little circuit, and the shifters are powered by coin batteries (like the SRAM ones are) and they communicate with the rear mech.

Yup. I rode my friend’s aethos (conveniently a 54, my size) and loved it.

Salt Fish posted:

For 10k go to Wisconsin and make waterford measure you and make a frame to fit.

You can’t make me go back to Wisconsin. When I’m ready for my old man bike I’ll drive to steamboat.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Same. Want to die though I’m 220lbs

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

The Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb is known as the toughest hillclimb in the world at 7.6 miles in length, has an average grade of 12% with extended sections of 18% and the last 50 yards is an amazing 22%! Sprint that to the finish!

:captainpop:

Big congrats to anyone who accomplishes that, got dang

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Guinness posted:

:captainpop:

Big congrats to anyone who accomplishes that, got dang

They'll get you even if you make it to the top:

https://twitter.com/TurbeauCurbeau/status/1561028629693448192?s=20&t=w37KUSQ0hoPNNUGZsftPOA

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/d/west-hartford-italian-road-bike/7524110245.html

A friends brother in law is looking at this. This would be his first road bike. Probably not great as a first bike, but might be a nice collector's piece if he gets into it.

Is this a fair price? I want to say yes a bike nerd, but I'm not great with vintage bikes.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/d/west-hartford-italian-road-bike/7524110245.html

A friends brother in law is looking at this. This would be his first road bike. Probably not great as a first bike, but might be a nice collector's piece if he gets into it.

Is this a fair price? I want to say yes a bike nerd, but I'm not great with vintage bikes.

Looks to be in great shape, and a pretty good deal. Check for cracks or bumps but otherwise I'd buy it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lmao my wife was at the top and said she laughed a lot when he fell over. They didn’t put it out again for the top lady

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some guy did Mt Washington on a brakeless fixie and he’s a legend. Also a guy on a unicycle.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I did my last audax with a 30t chainring as I've got a dodgy shin so climbing out the saddle is currently forbidden

It's just so much fun. I'm climbing so much slower overall but at an insane cadence, it's great just spinning past people slogging away

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I used my 26x30 combo more than I thought I would tbh. Lots of people regretting having their easiest gear be 1:1 or even worse.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gradients like that its got to be an absolute killer having to stand up and grind so you can keep the pedals turning. Would destroy your legs doing that for such a distance.

Extremely smart decision to go with the 26.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Lmao

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

I used my 26x30 combo more than I thought I would tbh. Lots of people regretting having their easiest gear be 1:1 or even worse.

I wouldn't tackle that long a climb with anything less than 0.75

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mine is 42-26 font-back in my road bike. Not optimal.. if the Peugeot build goes well I'll swap the hubs in my road bike and install a better casette.

I found out Sensah makes mechanical SRX Pro 1x11 shifters and a rear derailleur which can switch up to 46-50t. 170€ for a set.

I made my first moves and bought a 350mm long seatpost and a deraileur hanger.

Budget is roughly:
- bike frame + racks + fenders 150€
- wheels + tyres 320€
- parts 600€

1x11 with 42t in front and 11-46 or 11-50 in back. The velo orange cranks with narrow/wide 42t ring is now the most expensive part in the list. Cheaper cranks had too wide chainline.

Hard to find smaller narrow/wide chainring + crank combo. Or at least a cheaper combo. They look so sweet though!

https://velo-orange.com/products/single-ring-crankset-w-nw-ring

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is probably a dumb question but wtf does narrow-wide chain ring mean? Is it just a new faddy name for oval chain rings?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Biking is fun but it's unbearably hot outside.

Texas was a mistake imo

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

This is probably a dumb question but wtf does narrow-wide chain ring mean? Is it just a new faddy name for oval chain rings?

Its a chainring for a 1x drivetrain with alternating tooth widths that fit into the inner and outer chainlinks. It is to help prevent chain suck.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Different teeth in the chainring are different widths, narrow and wide. Helps keep the chain from jumping off.

efb

FredLordofCheese fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 21, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Its a chainring for a 1x drivetrain with alternating tooth widths that fit into the inner and outer chainlinks. It is to help prevent chain suck.

Went and looked and it turns out one of my bikes has got one, sweet! I guess that + DR clutch is why I can leap off of speed bumps and never derail, despite having gotten rid of the little safety guide thingy on the down tube.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My Edge 520 has been frtizing out a bit lately. It will periodically drop all bluetooth/ant+ connections for 5-10 seconds and then they all come back. This includes my iPhone, Garmin cadence & speed sensors, and Garmin HRM. It seems random but it happens several times on a ride and is annoying. My firmware is up to date.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Guinness posted:

My Edge 520 has been frtizing out a bit lately. It will periodically drop all bluetooth/ant+ connections for 5-10 seconds and then they all come back. This includes my iPhone, Garmin cadence & speed sensors, and Garmin HRM. It seems random but it happens several times on a ride and is annoying. My firmware is up to date.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

I think it is garmin being bad. I have a 1040 on the latest firmware and the HRM likes to just shut off during the ride and I have to go to sensors and toggle the connection.