Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Bouncing around TNG and got to S3E3 The Survivors and its kind of bullshit that Picard is like " Yeah we have no law to fit your crime", dude I'm pretty sure the federation has laws against genocide.

We've been over this, extinction is a step beyond genocide. It's a step beyond everything.

daww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

where's this from?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm looking at the upcoming 4k blu ray box set of the original film series and thinking 'do I want to buy this knowing I only like half of them?'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't know if that picture is accurate, Cerritos is a bit larger than that. Her saucer is exactly the width of an Ambassador saucer. But she still has way less internal volume than a Galaxy because of all the chunk the Galaxy has, Cerritos is basically just a flat saucer.

E: 535.2m long, 121.3m high, per the writers.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 21, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Technowolf posted:

where's this from?

Trekyards. Ironically when shown this video Mike says the Cerritos is too big, but then has to come back in his next interview and say it's too small.

This is a 1250 foot Cerritos while the canon one is about 1500 feet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Star Trek must be discussed in metric

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Something something measure of a man

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i wonder what system of measurement they'd use in a treklike reality. Imperial and Metric are pathetic joke approximations barely good enough to work on our hillbilly planet, so once you're out in the wide galaxy everyone's gonna need a proper system of measurement.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Star Trek is measured in Datas.

:riker:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Trying to explain to a Vulcan why C is pegged to boiling water in very specific circumstances only and how this must be useful to any society ever at any point in any context, and the Vulcan points out you can tell the water is boiling or not without knowing it's temperature.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lower Decks family reunion:

Canada, California, Oberth, Nova, Obena, another California

I'm not sure what to think about the Sovereign-ified Excelsior that is the Obena class. On the one hand you would think that Starfleet would be eager to leave the Excelsior in the past by 2380s. On the other hand, I'm sure there are a lot of shipyards post Dominion War that are too old to produce post-Wolf 359 ships but you don't want to shut down while rebuilding the fleet after a major war. So maybe you go in and create a completely clean slate design that a shipyard that's been building Excelsiors for 100 years can convert over to.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 21, 2022

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

helloberth

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Khanstant posted:

i wonder what system of measurement they'd use in a treklike reality. Imperial and Metric are pathetic joke approximations barely good enough to work on our hillbilly planet, so once you're out in the wide galaxy everyone's gonna need a proper system of measurement.

Kelicams and teraquads

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i was wondering what a trek ship would look like with two saucers, like more room for activities and whatever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05PgbkLYSlw

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Khanstant posted:

i was wondering what a trek ship would look like with two saucers, like more room for activities and whatever.

These are the voyages of the dick and balls

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alchenar posted:

I'm looking at the upcoming 4k blu ray box set of the original film series and thinking 'do I want to buy this knowing I only like half of them?'.

This binds all of fandom across the years. Since the days of the first VHS box sets, all Trekkies have shared one worrying dilemma: that only the even-numbered movies are any good.

(Also the big chunky diagonal box doesn't fit well on your tape shelf. And you can totally tell that the "spine" graphics were originally made for a 1-through-5 collection.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Khanstant posted:

Leaked designs of the ship from Star Trek: The Sexed Generation

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I've graduated to liking all of the original cast movies at least a little. I'm still more likely to watch Undiscovered Country than Final Frontier, but Final IS still on the menu.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MillennialVulcan posted:

I've graduated to liking all of the original cast movies at least a little. I'm still more likely to watch Undiscovered Country than Final Frontier, but Final IS still on the menu.

Final Frontier is at least so campy it's enjoyable just for that. And I hold the Search for Spock was never bad, just merely pretty average and had to suffer the albatross of being the one where they blew up the Enterprise in it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
1 and 5 are the only ones worth rewatching. They have the most interesting direction and themes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I came to realize now that I have that 1-10 box set, that I had never watched ST5 from start to end on one sitting before... I may have the same thing with Nemesis because I only remember bits of it from here and there and I vaguely remember that it came from TV a couple of times prior to the first Kelvin movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mossyfisk posted:

1 and 5 are the only ones worth rewatching. They have the most interesting direction and themes.
Mods????

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What does a mod need with a starship?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'd watch 5 before I watched any of the Abrams movies or the TNG movies - including First Contact and Beyond, which are the best of their respective series. Final Frontier is an underrated film.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Final Frontier is fun but it’s trivial and fairly dumb fun. You know how people say Insurrection is just a meh TNG episode stretched out to movie length? Final Frontier is the TOS version of that, but with better padding

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There was never any chance Ron Moore was going to pull off finishing what he'd set up there, but by god, did he aim high.

In hindsight he should hzve aimed AT something.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Please send this to the Lower Decks team, it would make a great gag. Pun intended.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Trying to explain to a Vulcan why C is pegged to boiling water in very specific circumstances only and how this must be useful to any society ever at any point in any context, and the Vulcan points out you can tell the water is boiling or not without knowing it's temperature.

Oh that's an easy one. There's literally no point or advantage to any one point you peg a temperature scale onto.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You gotta imagine the translator just translates into whatever the species knows, with appropriate detail (not saying it's 1635.74 squrks away, but just 1600, because it's not important). Maybe it even accommodates Americans and it's just the viewer who's French* enough to use metric.

*With a British accent for some reason

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"Apologizing to the enemy! That's cold."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:hai:

Neither did Gaius Baltar. :colbert:

Delsaber posted:

Frak 'em

I sorta remember a lot of people I tried to get into BSG back in the day just couldn't get past the frak thing, which I probably thought was nitpicky at the time, but I get it now. It's awkward in a similar but less extreme way as the usage of mandarin was awkward on Firefly, it's a worldbuilding detail that fits the setting and maybe works on paper but falls apart on execution the instant you gotta direct a bunch of poor tired actors to get it out convincingly on a regular basis.

In a way it's a different take on the Star Trek technobabble problem, most folks already inside the fandom bubble won't care that much or even notice it anymore, but to folks on the outside looking in it's sometimes all they hear

I dunno. I almost feel frak has become mainstream outside BSG and in regular pop culture.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Frak was amazing in OG Galactica, since it was so family friendly and very obviously just throwing F bombs everywhere except technically not stood out a lot.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Frak is the rare scifi swear that some of the actors were actually able to work with. Tigh in particular put some real energy into his frakkin’.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So wait Rios decided to stay in 2022 so that he could watch civilization collapse and the deaths of a third of Earth's people?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Tigh in particular put some real energy into his frakkin’.

We know, we all saw how he got off with Ellen

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh that's an easy one. There's literally no point or advantage to any one point you peg a temperature scale onto.

absolute zero

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah the thing that really matters is that your compound units build off the fundamental units without conversion in an intercompatible way, as the SI system does. (Also having constant multipliers and prefixes with the base 10 stuff is nice as well.) The fundamental units being arbitrary won't be an issue.

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not sure what to think about the Sovereign-ified Excelsior that is the Obena class. On the one hand you would think that Starfleet would be eager to leave the Excelsior in the past by 2380s. On the other hand, I'm sure there are a lot of shipyards post Dominion War that are too old to produce post-Wolf 359 ships but you don't want to shut down while rebuilding the fleet after a major war. So maybe you go in and create a completely clean slate design that a shipyard that's been building Excelsiors for 100 years can convert over to.

I think part of the idea is that the general Excelsior layout has proven itself to be a extremely good basic design for a long-lasting general-purpose mid-size starship, and they wanted to make something that continues that while not tied to century old decisions and tech.

The funny thing is that Lower Decks and Picard both apparently did this without realising the other was also doing it so now we have the Obena class on LD and the Excelsior II class on Picard.

BonHair posted:

Frak was amazing in OG Galactica, since it was so family friendly and very obviously just throwing F bombs everywhere except technically not stood out a lot.

It wasn't used that much in the OG Galactica, to be honest, and mainly just by Starbuck. I think goofier ones like felgercarb got used more often.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The "Fat Lee" makeup was good enough that Jamie Bamber actually had trouble getting work for a while after Galactica, because producers and casting directors had seen it and thought he really had gained all that weight. (Even though he was back to being completely ripped just a few episodes later, after going to the gym like twice.)