Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Analytic Engine posted:

the semiconductor chips we're posting on work via electron hole-movement metaphysics

I thought a direct copy of the first ball was supposed to be sent to the back first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

ikanreed posted:

I thought a direct copy of the first ball was supposed to be sent to the back first

Electricity works the same way

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Johnny five wafers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i already know more than I need to about knot and hole theory thankyou

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*me getting killed by the Terminator* Electron holes aren't real. They can't hurt you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

jjack229 posted:

That is such a bad way to show wealth distribution.

You can always tell a top tier awful chart/graph, where you legit struggle to figure out a worse way of showing what they're trying to.

God tier are the ones where have literally no idea what they were even trying to show or what even a single part of them means. Bonus points if it has titles and excessive labels and they all just make things worse

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

moonmazed posted:

i genuinely wouldn't have thought there was enough material in the field of topology to make a grad school degree about it, what kind of stuff did you do?
One of the seven Millenium Prize problems (the only solved one) was the Poincaré conjecture, and that was basically a topology problem (though a lot of geometry was used to solve it). Many people have recieved the Fields Medal for topology. I don't know your math background, so I'll just say you can get a sense of the scope of things at the wikipedia page for Algebraic Topology.

(Edit: Also, get PMs/turn them on in settings so I can respond without clogging up the thread.)

-

It's a little small, but this is rankings of banks in the same quarter of each year, with color coded square points that are sometimes totally different from the color of the lines through them:

dirby has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Aug 17, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
MY THEORY OF KNOTS IS YES PLEASE DADDY :D :D

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

MY THEORY OF KNOTS IS YES PLEASE DADDY :D :D

Do you prefer the Trefoil, the Three-twist, or the Stevedore?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tree Goat posted:

knot theory bb

Me neither.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh shoot, I can parley my knowledge of ABO into a math degree?!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

moonmazed posted:

i genuinely wouldn't have thought there was enough material in the field of topology to make a grad school degree about it, what kind of stuff did you do?

Topology and geometry is one of the major branches of math. It's a little bit newer than analysis and algebra so there aren't quite as many people working in the field as there are algebraists and analysts, but I'd ballpark it at about 10% of all research mathematicians. There's a vast literature on the subject, and basically any subject that touches on shape has connections, so you see applications in fields like motion planning for robots, data analysis, optimization of circuit layouts, theoretical physics, chemistry, the analysis of voting systems, and a bunch of others that I'm not familiar with.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
https://twitter.com/andrewyang/status/1559519779089747968?s=21&t=QYMFSCfxXAtxQ9JdPsq5Bg

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

*me getting killed by the Terminator* Electron holes aren't real. They can't hurt you.

Having better intelligence and simply telefragging John Conner with a displaced piece of rebar would have been much more efficient.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scientists are bad at naming things, then insist that their new names are the 'correct' ones.

See also botanists calling the apple, the most platonic-ideal fruit in existence, a 'false fruit'.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

scientists are bad at naming things, then insist that their new names are the 'correct' ones.

See also botanists calling the apple, the most platonic-ideal fruit in existence, a 'false fruit'.

Scientists just like to rigorously define things to the extent that eventually those definitions exclude the original examples. Like how Stonehenge is not a henge despite it being the thing that the word "henge" was derived from.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Uuuuufh, yang, you dumb fucker. How do you not understand what winner take all elections are and how they affect party politics?

It's not even a hard phenomenon to appreciate.

Yang always comes across as weirdly earnest in believing stupid things.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The greatest advance in topology in the last century has, of course, been the invention of the portable hole.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

dirby posted:

One of the seven Millenium Prize problems (the only solved one) was the Poincaré conjecture, and that was basically a topology problem (though a lot of geometry was used to solve it). Many people have recieved the Fields Medal for topology. I don't know your math background, so I'll just say you can get a sense of the scope of things at the wikipedia page for Algebraic Topology.

(Edit: Also, get PMs/turn them on in settings so I can respond without clogging up the thread.)

unfortunately i have no money, but thank you for the information (and everyone else too)!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tunicate posted:

There’s a genus Acacia.

“The” acacia tree is not in it. It used to be, but then hundreds of species from Australia and surrounding islands were added to the genus and. Lol whoops careful study reveals that Acacia is actually five genera wearing a trench coat.

I’ll let Wikipedia summarize the rest, because it is a mess.

quote:

By 2005, taxonomists had decided that Acacia sensu lato should be split into at least five separate genera. The ICN dictated that under these circumstances, the name of Acacia should remain with the original type, which was Acacia nilotica.[1] However, that year the General Committee of the IBC decided that Acacia should be given a new type (Acacia verticillatum) so that the ~920 species of Australian acacias would not need to be renamed Racosperma. This decision was opposed by 54.9% or 247 representatives at its 2005 congress, while 45.1% or 203 votes were cast in favor. However, since a 60% vote was required to override the committee, the decision was carried, and a nom. cons. propositum was listed in Appendix III (p. 286).[8][9] The 2011 congress voted 373 to 172 to uphold the 2005 decision, which means that the name Acacia and a new type follow the majority of the species in Acacia sensu lato, rather than this genus.[10] However, some members of the botanical community remain unconvinced,[11] and the use of Acacia in the scientific literature continues to exceed the use of the new generic names.

It’s basically botany’s equivalent to “Pluto is a planet”.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

The greatest advance in topology in the last century has, of course, been the invention of the portable hole.

just don't drop your bag of holding

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

High energy spectroscopy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Platystemon posted:

There’s a genus Acacia.

“The” acacia tree is not in it. It used to be, but then hundreds of species from Australia and surrounding islands were added to the genus and. Lol whoops careful study reveals that Acacia is actually five genera wearing a trench coat.

I’ll let Wikipedia summarize the rest, because it is a mess.

It’s basically botany’s equivalent to “Pluto is a planet”.

Acacia friggen sucks rear end.

Every time we got a job in the mid west I'd groan and prepare myself for an eternity of trying to classify woodland made up of almost a dozen interbreeding members of the Acacia aneura tribe: Acacia aneura, Acacia paraneura, Acacia aneura var. argentea, Acacia aneura var. intermedia etc etc

A. intermedia is funny because it means something like 'intermediate between two other taxon' but they all hybridize and mutate anyway.

Every few years someone with too much time on their hands will try and reclassify, lump or split up the aneuras for no real benefit to anyone.

Sometimes we'd just say 'Woodland of mixed Acacia aneura aff. spp?.' because gently caress all that noise.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Molecular phylogeny kind of threw a wrench in things when they used to just be like well that plant has similar physical traits to this other one.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Outrail posted:

Acacia friggen sucks rear end.

Every time we got a job in the mid west I'd groan and prepare myself for an eternity of trying to classify woodland made up of almost a dozen interbreeding members of the Acacia aneura tribe: Acacia aneura, Acacia paraneura, Acacia aneura var. argentea, Acacia aneura var. intermedia etc etc

A. intermedia is funny because it means something like 'intermediate between two other taxon' but they all hybridize and mutate anyway.

Every few years someone with too much time on their hands will try and reclassify, lump or split up the aneuras for no real benefit to anyone.

Sometimes we'd just say 'Woodland of mixed Acacia aneura aff. spp?.' because gently caress all that noise.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Platystemon posted:

a nom. cons. propositum was listed in Appendix III (p. 286).[8][9]

If anybody else was confused, that's short for nomen conservandum propositum.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Two of the examples given at the top of this comic have been effectively solved by really solid standards being enforced.

No one today questions usb-c or utf-8.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Eh there's still tons of stuff that's not utf-8, particularly for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean text, because the unicode standards around those 3 radically different alphabets are hosed.
No English native monoglots question utf-8, sure, but that's a different thing entirely.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ikanreed posted:

No one today questions usb-c

To an extent, that's true. The AC adapter situation is vastly better now than it was ten or fifteen years ago.

But lots and lots of devices in the world still use power adapters that aren't any flavor of USB. For example, in my sight right now are a set of desktop speakers, a wi-fi router, a AA-cell rechargeable battery charger, and even an Intel NUC mini-PC. None of these are terribly old and none of them are powered by USB. The battery charger uses some godawful proprietary cable that looks a lot like an old PS/2 keyboard plug, and the rest use various sizes of barrel plug. I would not dare to swap power adapters between two devices, even if the barrels happened to be the same size, without first carefully comparing the voltages listed in the tiny print.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ikanreed posted:

Two of the examples given at the top of this comic have been effectively solved by really solid standards being enforced.

I mean, USB-C connectors are great, but the cables are still a mess of competing specifications and capabilities.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ikanreed posted:

USB C is literally mandated by the EU nowadays, and since it's a pretty big market, that's gonna have an impact. Especially since the benefit to the competitors are pretty negligible.

Even so, Apple insists on lightning, to the point that they're trying to weasel or by making the other end of the cable USB C instead of the actual charge port of the phone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shifty Nipples posted:

Molecular phylogeny kind of threw a wrench in things when they used to just be like well that plant has similar physical traits to this other one.

Some taxonomists say gently caress that genetics poo poo we're still doing things our way and other taxonomists embrace genetics. It's great.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Outrail posted:

Some taxonomists say gently caress that genetics poo poo we're still doing things our way and other taxonomists embrace genetics. It's great.

Sounds like they should have just made another parallel system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Outrail posted:

someone should sort those into concrete categories and give them names.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

OwlFancier posted:

someone should sort those into concrete categories and give them names.

The taxonomists?

You mean lumpers and splitters or genetics and phenotypes? Well that's kinda four categories

Unless:

Mescal posted:

Sounds like they should have just made another parallel system.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Outrail posted:

That's weird, organisms are either related or not and going by vibes or whatever is silly.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

surely it'd depend on what kind of lattice the ceramic is???

an Al-Mn doped amorphous quasicrystal, of course

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Analytic Engine posted:

an Al-Mn doped amorphous quasicrystal, of course

It took me a moment to realize I wasn't still looking at the Elder Scrolls thread.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Shifty Nipples posted:

That's weird, organisms are either related or not and going by vibes or whatever is silly.

Yeah but renaming poo poo is a pain and it's a bit of a tradition at this point. Look at the compliment pathway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Geology rules because we named poo poo whatever dumb name we wanted. Location? Sure. Name? Why not. Latin? Greek? Yeah.
It sucks too because idiots keep giving new minerals names like firstnamelastname-ite which sounds terrible even if it's someone you like.
And a lot of minerals end up with umlauts and alternate spellings thanks to inconsistent international standards.
Also we made the same Acacia mistake a few times, like which mineral we called 'turquoise' which the vast majority of the gem turquoise is actually made of a different mineral (planerite).
Also the IMA decided to rename musgravite to the incomprehensible magnesiotaaffeite-6N’3S and their conventions aren't getting any better or less opaque.
Actually you know what geology sucks and we're bad at everything.