Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Kicked Throat posted:

that picture was taken near uptown 0:)

also paid pilgrimage to this sacred space

two cars side by side in the driveway with a garage, they seem to have ample parking already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Re e-bikes, I do think that the pedelec regulations (or similar) are important and that machines outside of them should be sold under scooter/moped licensing and regulations. There's a big difference between something that will go to almost 30mph and one that will go to 40.

I also think that throttles are more dangerous than e-assist but can't justify that.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Saw a guy just now with 4 kids in the bucket of his cargo bike, which is the most I've seen. Had seen 2 kids and 2 dogs before though which was also cool.

They've installed these "deluxe" bike stands in town and they're great. Pumped a tire and adjusted my seat, was even easier than doing it at home because they had all the tools out already, no searching in the bike bits box.

distortion park has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Aug 21, 2022

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Harik posted:

rule-of-thumb leave 10 car lengths between you and the car in front of you. it's trivial to judge this because there will be ten cars between you and the car in front of you

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

really bad twin accidents happened in Turkey killing at least 35. there’s video if you want to see but it’s showing a mass death event so you’ll have to find it

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/8/20/bus-collision-at-accident-site-leaves-15-dead-in-turkey

quote:

Turkey: At least 35 killed in separate crashes at accident sites
At least 15 people killed in Gaziantep province and 20 others killed in Mardin province in separate incidents.

Rescue workers attend scene of bus crash
Rescue and emergency responders work at the scene after a bus crash on the highway between Gaziantep and Nizip, Turkey [Ihlas News Agency via Reuters]
At least 35 people have been killed in separate incidents in southeastern Turkey when vehicles crashed into first responders who were attending earlier accidents, authorities said.

Saturday’s accidents happened just 250km (155 miles) apart in southern Turkey.

The first happened on the highway between Gaziantep and Nizip when a passenger bus collided with emergency teams that had responded to a crash in the southeastern Mardin Province, west of Derik.

Three firefighters, two paramedics and two journalists were among the 15 killed on the highway between Gaziantep and Nizip, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu wrote in a tweet. The other eight deaths were on the bus, he added.

Twenty other people were wounded and received treatment, regional Governor Davut Gul said on Saturday.

“At around 10:45 this morning, a passenger bus crashed here,” Gul said, speaking from the scene of the accident on the road east of Gaziantep.

“While the fire brigade, medical teams and other colleagues were responding to the accident, another bus crashed 200 metres [219 yards] behind. The second bus slid to this site and hit the first responders and the wounded people on the ground.”

The Turkish news agency Ilhas said two of its journalists were killed after pulling over to help the victims of the initial accident, in which a car came off the highway and slid down an embankment.

Television footage showed an ambulance with severe damage to its rear while the bus lay on its side alongside the highway.

smashed car and ambulance
Television footage showed an ambulance with severe damage [Screenshot/Reuters]

Separately, a truck hit a site in the Derik district of Mardin, where the first respondents were attending to another accident.

Speaking from the site, Soylu said 20 people were killed and 26 injured. A police officer was among the victims, and two drivers were detained as an investigation was launched, he said.

Turkey’s official Anadolu Agency said an accident involving three vehicles had happened at the same site shortly before, and emergency responders were already at the scene when the truck ploughed into the crowd.

Turkey has a poor record of road safety. Some 5,362 people were killed in traffic accidents last year, according to the government.

i hate cars

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

Turkey has a poor record of road safety. Some 5,362 people were killed in traffic accidents last year, according to the government.

This is (significantly) better per capita than the USA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

distortion park posted:

This is (significantly) better per capita than the USA

Lol

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

of course it's a BMW

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

idk how anyone can tell one of these blob-rear end plops of vehicles from another. surely this era will go down as a low point in car design.

(and hopefully the endpoint too)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thinking about cars and feeling insanely pissed off

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Zerg Mans posted:

The equivalent in China would be Kunming to Harbin, which takes 20 hours and costs $150ish.

Thank you Zerg MANS!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

distortion park posted:

Re e-bikes, I do think that the pedelec regulations (or similar) are important and that machines outside of them should be sold under scooter/moped licensing and regulations. There's a big difference between something that will go to almost 30mph and one that will go to 40.

I also think that throttles are more dangerous than e-assist but can't justify that.

It depends which regulations you're talking about though. From what I know about the USA, your regulations are a mess that varies by state (which seems to be a common theme over there) but generally the allowable e-bike motor power is very high (750W) and from what I can see your pedal-assist speed limit is around 28 mph (45 kph)?

Compare this to EU regs that limit motor power to 250W and speed limit to 25 kph (~15 mph). IMO the EU regulations are far too strict, not that they don't have a place and definitely make riding a bike easier and more practical than it would otherwise be for a lot of people, but having the motor cut entirely above 25 kph and limiting to 250 W does restrict how practical and realistic it is to use an e-bike as a full car replacement in a lot of situations.

Maybe in a dead-flat European city with great cycling infrastructure 25 kph and 250 W is plenty to do all of your shopping and errands easily and safely and if so that's great, but if you're somewhere more like where I live where everything is steep hills and there's no infrastructure so you're going to be on the road with cars then having such low speed and power limits leaves you feeling like a sitting duck. If I have to ride on the road with cars and I want to replace my car with an e-bike for commuting and shopping etc. I'd like it to at least be able to get to 45 kph to reduce the speed differential on city streets. I'm a young fit cyclist and on my road bike I can quite easily keep pace with cars on suburban streets, but even I'd think twice about riding an e-cargo bike on the same streets if I were limited to 25 kph because the resulting speed differential would feel way too dangerous to me.

Yes in an ideal world speed wouldn't matter because there would be no cars to run into me, but for the vast majority of people living in cities/urban environments that's not and never will be the case, so we should be trying to make things better in the short term just as much as trying to improve the long-term outlook too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My bus couldn't pull into a bus stop today because there were cars parked in it lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

pretty wild how mad people are at spandex

Stupid sexy Flanders!

Harik posted:

at highway speeds like they are doing in that crash you should rule-of-thumb leave 10 car lengths between you and the car in front of you. it's trivial to judge this because there will be ten cars between you and the car in front of you on most highways at most hours of the day.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

lobster shirt posted:

two cars side by side in the driveway with a garage, they seem to have ample parking already

This is in response to them losing one side of street parking for a bike lane that’s like… 2 blocks up from an elementary school. Perhaps even both sides, but ALL of the affected houses have off-street parking. It’s so pathetic.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I hate cars

https://twitter.com/sfgogi/status/1561453338901639170?t=Km6cByqJt_bMYoc_45xoJQ&s=19

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mawarannahr posted:

*looks for controversy section on Wikipedia* oh yeah? what about the environment!

Recycling is a scam anyway. Most cities recycling programs actually recycle less then 10% of the things collected as "recycleable" Just another example of how market incentives are worse then doing nothing at all.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Recycling is a scam anyway. Most cities recycling programs actually recycle less then 10% of the things collected as "recycleable" Just another example of how market incentives are worse then doing nothing at all.

My city recently stopped curbside recycling because "the market for recycled material has collapsed".

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Blackhawk posted:

It depends which regulations you're talking about though. From what I know about the USA, your regulations are a mess that varies by state (which seems to be a common theme over there) but generally the allowable e-bike motor power is very high (750W) and from what I can see your pedal-assist speed limit is around 28 mph (45 kph)?

Compare this to EU regs that limit motor power to 250W and speed limit to 25 kph (~15 mph). IMO the EU regulations are far too strict, not that they don't have a place and definitely make riding a bike easier and more practical than it would otherwise be for a lot of people, but having the motor cut entirely above 25 kph and limiting to 250 W does restrict how practical and realistic it is to use an e-bike as a full car replacement in a lot of situations.

I had actually got a bit confused about this and there's more variety than I thought within the EU. Idk about higher speeds still, but your point about steep hills is a good one, perhaps the max power output should be increased at low speeds. I've used eu- regulation bikes in fairly hilly areas and found them perfectly fine though.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Don't really see the problem with cutting out the motor if you go over a certain speed, but having ridden a 250w and 750w ebike up the same steep hill the difference is enormous. 250w being the legally allowed limit on roads is incredibly stupid, especially when riding e scooters with 250w motors on footpaths is legal lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My city has a pretty comprehensive recycling program and the facilities to recycle things that most cities can't, but I look at people's recycling bins and they're just full of garbage.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Don't really see the problem with cutting out the motor if you go over a certain speed, but having ridden a 250w and 750w ebike up the same steep hill the difference is enormous. 250w being the legally allowed limit on roads is incredibly stupid, especially when riding e scooters with 250w motors on footpaths is legal lol

You can still have 500/750/1000w ebikes on EU roads, they just need to be registered as a moped. This means in some countries you need at least a moped driver's license, helmet, license plate, and liability insurance. The worst part is that fast ebikes technically aren't allowed on bicycle paths through parks and such.

I feel like Switzerland has the best compromise, which allows ebikes up to 750w to be considered essentially the same as regular bikes. Above 750w you need a license plate, insurance etc, but you can still use all normal bicycle infrastructure and trails as long as you cut off your motor or stay under 25 km/hr.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Weembles posted:

Maybe it's a regional thing, but most of the ebikers I've come across have been just fine.

I think it's too easy to end up like the people who cry about lycra every thread and let confirmation bias lead us to making an enemy of people we should be building solidarity with.

me to the spandex haters

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Even the worst cyclist is probably still better than the average motorist

absolutely true

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

destroy all cars

larper
Apr 9, 2019

I need to stop hate clicking these links because it just brings me back to all the Dumb poo poo I did to dickhead drivers that is even worse than these videos

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Every thread on r/idiotsincars

"Drivers from X are the worst. Lived here my whole life. They're a different breed."

"You think drivers from X are bad? You obviously haven't been to Y."

"Both of you obviously haven't been to Z, because-"

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
When I drove daily, I would inevitably encounter a major crash on the highway that forces all cars into a single lane or exit. That's 5 or more lanes of traffic shoved into a single lane and exasperated depending on interchanges and exits. I've been stuck for 2 hours in 3 mph traffic because of one such highway crash. It's been 3 years since I've endured such traffic and I'm much happier for it.

gently caress cars.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

When I drove daily, I would inevitably encounter a major crash on the highway that forces all cars into a single lane or exit. That's 5 or more lanes of traffic shoved into a single lane and exasperated depending on interchanges and exits. I've been stuck for 2 hours in 3 mph traffic because of one such highway crash. It's been 3 years since I've endured such traffic and I'm much happier for it.

gently caress cars.

worse is when this happens and then you get there and realize it's all because a highway cop pulled someone over on like a bridge or some other choke-point with no proper shoulder. loving pig!!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Along those lines...

https://www.ajc.com/atlanta-traffic/gridlock-guy-traffic-pacing-has-gotten-out-of-hand/R5E3V6Z5VNFO7BHINJHC2UFS3Y/

quote:

Imagine humming along I-285 and then grinding to a sudden halt. The slow zone comes out of thin air and lasts…and lasts…and lasts. Barely creeping along, vehicles finally reach the front of the slow zone and start to move at a better pace. What caused it? Where’s the carnage? Some cones are set up for a mile or so in one or two lanes and hardly anyone is even working in them.

Atlanta's "Gridlock Guy" is pissed that traffic is slowed down for the safety of "hardly anyone" (highway maintenance is the 16th most dangerous job in the US). What stood out to me is that his rant was directly spurred by the traffic he experienced after visiting Truist Park / The Battery in Atlanta, a place that could hardly have been more poorly designed and placed if they'd tried. You made your bed in Cobb County, sans transit, now lie in it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Along those lines...

https://www.ajc.com/atlanta-traffic/gridlock-guy-traffic-pacing-has-gotten-out-of-hand/R5E3V6Z5VNFO7BHINJHC2UFS3Y/

Atlanta's "Gridlock Guy" is pissed that traffic is slowed down for the safety of "hardly anyone" (highway maintenance is the 16th most dangerous job in the US). What stood out to me is that his rant was directly spurred by the traffic he experienced after visiting Truist Park / The Battery in Atlanta, a place that could hardly have been more poorly designed and placed if they'd tried. You made your bed in Cobb County, sans transit, now lie in it.
This just seems like he's looking for anything to blame for traffic other than cars

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Everyone who visits Truist Park has to drive through traffic, and the road work is only part of the story. The rest of the story is that they dropped it HERE: https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...6!4d-84.4684498

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Along those lines...

Sounds like somebody needs to call the Cones Hotline

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, there are actually bizzaro threads out there of this one where Not Just Bikes is not only completely hated but words like “stroads” are hate speech. The world is an interesting place.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Btw, there are actually bizzaro threads out there of this one where Not Just Bikes is not only completely hated but words like “stroads” are hate speech. The world is an interesting place.

You gonna share with the rest of us?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
if you drive into Cobb County you deserve your traffic. The Braves built their stadium out there because the rich white racist yankees who make up 90% of their fanbase refused to travel into the city where they'd have to see black people walking around.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ardennes posted:

lol link that poo poo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"I'm a car guy" means "I drive too fast and change lanes too much".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Peanut President posted:

if you drive into Cobb County you deserve your traffic. The Braves built their stadium out there because the rich white racist yankees who make up 90% of their fanbase refused to travel into the city where they'd have to see black people walking around.

I had to go there to see Modest Mouse once and it was probably the worst music venue I've ever been in (not the stadium; whatever stupid coca cola sponsored thing is there).

Braves fans deserve to be miserable though.