Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

anyone have a module they want to love but struggle with?

The Oscillographic Block is my favorite module I own, on paper, but in practice I struggle understanding the interface, and I struggle getting sounds out of it I like. It's also a massive 36 HP. I'm tempted to replace it.

I've never seen that module before, seems cool!

At the moment for me it's cold mac. I love sitting down and figuring out how to do stuff with it, but once I'm actually patching I rarely end up using it for anything more than crossfading. I suppose this is more a fault of my brain not being big enough yet to think modular-ly when making music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
C'mon wavestate blowout.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Chainclaw posted:

The Oscillographic Block is my favorite module I own, on paper, but in practice I struggle understanding the interface, and I struggle getting sounds out of it I like. It's also a massive 36 HP. I'm tempted to replace it.

Several. Warps and Stages for two. Also QPas, which never seems to give me the tone I want.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Chainclaw posted:

Clouds is great on paper and in demos, but in practice I had so much trouble finding sweet spots on it that I gave up on it. The few times that I've gotten my hands on Beads, I've felt the same way. I know they both sound awesome in the right hands, but I have other effects modules I like significantly more. My Clouds clone got exchanged towards buying my Vortices mixer, which rules. I've considered trying out the Monsoon/Typhoon clone that has separate knobs or sliders for the functions that were, ridiculously, all stuffed into the Blend knob, but I'd really have to dig deep in trying it out before I considered actually purchasing one. Maybe playing with one in VCV would be a good way to test that.

I'm on the fence about my Instruo athru wavefolder too. It gets some really awesome and wild distortion sounds, but it has an extremely narrow usable range and there are times when puts out a ridiculous amount of noise on its own when something isn't going through it. For 4hp and some of the sounds I've gotten out of it I've held on to it, but if I were forced to really pare down my system it'd be one of the first to go. Especially now that I have the MT Mini-Drive, which doesn't go quite as wild but is more fun and easy to use.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 20, 2022

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Having no or small sweet spots can break an otherwise lovely synth, just as much as having all sweet spots elevates an otherwise middling one, I think.

Chainclaw posted:

Metropolis, it was the first fancy seq module I got years ago and I got it for immediacy but there's a pile of annoyances that make me hate using it.
It's nice because it helped me figure out I'd rather big old dumb stage sequencers and switching than a whiz-bang but I'd rather like it.

I've got an OB (wouldn't mind another :v:) and I use it most every patch. Even if you're not pulling the audio from it, it's a fantastic source of related CV and trigger bursts. The UI is very quick once you stop thinking too hard, and use the macro editing. Unless I have something particular in mind I will usually start just banging random on a slot until its static sound is near and then go from there. Don't neglect the CV ins! Without using them it's still good but it's more a best-of PSG sounds: it can only do so much self-modulation. You CAN and should assign the mod routing while the module is sounding different sounds, each will remember where you were.
I've been trying to prep for some jams in the fall and really loving clocking it, with reset, and also triggering the individual sounds. You can very quickly play around in a time/sequence this way.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Chainclaw posted:

The lìon. It's great for routing and lets you do some really cool poo poo with inserts, but in the end I always end up thinking to myself, "I could just patch this directly." Barely ever used it to actually mix, and it's currently sitting in a box.

Also the Sol. Won't sell it because it's a one-module solution for getting VCV Rack interacting with my modular. When I get an impulse to make robot farts, though, coding is the last thing I want to do.

Right now I have a Bloom on loan, and I really like messing around with the branching paths and mutations and such, but I've yet to enter a new sequence myself because it's such a pain in the rear end.

... I'm realizing I could keep going. Prooooobably time to downsize.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

The lìon. It's great for routing and lets you do some really cool poo poo with inserts, but in the end I always end up thinking to myself, "I could just patch this directly." Barely ever used it to actually mix, and it's currently sitting in a box.

Also the Sol. Won't sell it because it's a one-module solution for getting VCV Rack interacting with my modular. When I get an impulse to make robot farts, though, coding is the last thing I want to do.

Right now I have a Bloom on loan, and I really like messing around with the branching paths and mutations and such, but I've yet to enter a new sequence myself because it's such a pain in the rear end.

... I'm realizing I could keep going. Prooooobably time to downsize.

oh wow the Sol looks good for the dumb poo poo I do. I've been writing python that interacts with my synthesizers, mostly via midi events.

Here's an example, I wrote some python that reads memory from the connected SNES playing Link to the Past over USB, listens to midi events from the connected OP-Z, and then changes colors of gameplay elements in Link to the Past based on those midi events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU98J9jlY2A

I've been wanting to make a sort of "twitch plays synthesizer" module, something that reads messages from twitch chat and changes up what the synthesizer is doing.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm deciding between a couple of source of uncertainty style modules at the moment and had a few questions for anyone that owns a wogglebug:

I'm struggling to understand the ego/id control. My understanding is that, with external voltage coming in, the further left the dial is the more the stepped voltage will cluster around the cv being fed in. Is this correct?

Secondly, do you find yourself patching the audio outs often? If so, how? It seems a bit wierd to me and I think I'd rather have something with noise outs.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the doepfer a149-1 is skiff friendly, so it's between a wogglebug and the nlc sauce of unce. I'm also considering the joranalogue orbit and/or nlc triple sloths to pair up with it. Any other suggestions?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Agreed posted:

Thomann US has OpSix for sale at $469, if anyone is still hurting for one but doesn't want to pay $750.

won’t ship to the US, however

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

suck my dick korg

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well that's lame for U.S. would-be buyers but I guess it's also the only way that non-U.S. buyers might get something close to the price they just blew them out at here through more outlets.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

field balm posted:

I'm deciding between a couple of source of uncertainty style modules at the moment and had a few questions for anyone that owns a wogglebug:

I'm struggling to understand the ego/id control. My understanding is that, with external voltage coming in, the further left the dial is the more the stepped voltage will cluster around the cv being fed in. Is this correct?

Correct. It's like a mixer for the signal to be sent a sample and hold circuit; external signal vs noise.

e: regarding the audio outs, here is a thread about them

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107664

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 21, 2022

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Correct. It's like a mixer for the signal to be sent a sample and hold circuit; external signal vs noise.

e: regarding the audio outs, here is a thread about them

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107664

Thanks for the response! Still not sure I'd use the audio outs, but I guess it's 'free' percussion/s&h fodder.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

Ooooh post more about it after some playtime

I don't suppose there's a central location where I can find some songs on this thing?

And It's been a long time since I've been here much, someday hope to make it back, let me ask how the NTS-2 is doing? Anybody have it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

petit choux posted:

I don't suppose there's a central location where I can find some songs on this thing?

Not really, the M8 discord is probably the closest you'll get. There's a fair number of hits if you search for it on youtube too if you don't mind doing some digging.

Jeremy Blake's "Rituals" album was done entirely on the M8 and is on bandcamp.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cool, kinda having a flashback to mods and stuff. Is .mod a format they still use I wonder.

and just looking on ebay I'm not seeing any nts-2s so I guess maybe I'm a bit early on that one.

Oh, you may have seen it, but I think I've found my filter:

It's about the size of a breadbox. Maybe I'll start setting up today, I just had surgery so I'm moving kinda really slow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sunvox will load .mod files (and xm and midi formats). So does fasttracker.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

musicians friend sent an email saying it'd ship friday, but now it says backordered

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Chainclaw posted:

Here's an example, I wrote some python that reads memory from the connected SNES playing Link to the Past over USB, listens to midi events from the connected OP-Z, and then changes colors of gameplay elements in Link to the Past based on those midi events

That is sick.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

musicians friend sent an email saying it'd ship friday, but now it says backordered

That ain't looking good, Korg hasn't officially discontinued it but it still seems pretty drat discontinued from my perspective

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How’s the OP-Z in practice? My SP404MKII purchase fell through (for good reasons) and I’m looking at those two or learning the software for an eventual M8.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

How’s the OP-Z in practice? My SP404MKII purchase fell through (for good reasons) and I’m looking at those two or learning the software for an eventual M8.

I never bought one but I did a ton of YouTube "research" a ways back because I was jonesing hard for mobile gadgets. It can definitely make some excellent sounds but a common theme seems to be it's annoying to work with without the app running.

It also seems prone to build quality issues, but maybe that's been fixed by now.

Then the M8 entered my consciousness and I haven't thought about OP-Z since.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

petit choux posted:

, let me ask how the NTS-2 is doing? Anybody have it?

I have one incoming in September after restocking to replace my old analog oscilloscope.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

petit choux posted:

And It's been a long time since I've been here much, someday hope to make it back, let me ask how the NTS-2 is doing? Anybody have it?

I google this about once a week, such is my interest level, but there's no stores even offering preorders in my location from the looks of it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

free Trapt CD posted:

I google this about once a week, such is my interest level, but there's no stores even offering preorders in my location from the looks of it.

I think I'm gathering it's not an instrument now. I was going to get an o-scope anyway, there is a wave of 20$ o-scopes all over the ali babasphere and they work. I want to get more than one.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im excited for the behringer linndrum clone. i hope it's cheap (if it isn't im no longer excited)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

petit choux posted:

The latest update I just got from Sweetwater is that it looks like a shipment should be arriving at their facility mid/late October 2022. That's in line with an earlier backorder update from June, so here's hoping!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Honestly still waiting for their bcr32
e: Behringer's

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Chainclaw posted:

oh wow the Sol looks good for the dumb poo poo I do. I've been writing python that interacts with my synthesizers, mostly via midi events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU98J9jlY2A

I've been wanting to make a sort of "twitch plays synthesizer" module, something that reads messages from twitch chat and changes up what the synthesizer is doing.

Holy poo poo this is cool. Definitely recommend the Sol if you're already going down this road -- as much as I've kept bouncing off of it, the fact that you're just editing text files really makes things easy.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well I didn't really expect to get a Korg Kaossilator Pro+ in 2022 and yet I had a lot of fun loving around with one in a used gear shop today, kinda had to. I think it'll be fun to use with my looper pedal board thing. I understand it has some strange limitations, is viewed kind of as a toy but I am alright with it at this time for the real big discount I got. Bonus, it came with a nice hard case with that foam someone had custom cut to fit all its stuff. I hear it makes a real good midi X/Y controller too if you tire of its sounds, so that's neat, I mean I like the x/y pad on my Nanopad 2 but I can already tell it is a tiny piece of poo poo compared to the one on this unit with much less precision.

Assuming the opsix comes in in good shape that'll be a real fun combo I think.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 22, 2022

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Chainclaw posted:

Just in case you ever do decide to get rid of it, please do hit me up. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands if the stars align.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

petit choux posted:

I think I'm gathering it's not an instrument now. I was going to get an o-scope anyway, there is a wave of 20$ o-scopes all over the ali babasphere and they work. I want to get more than one.

It's got dual function generators for whatever that's worth, but they don't seem to be CV-controllable or anything so I'm sure you'd be changing one parameter at a time with the rotary encoder. I'm sure there's a better option if you're buying in bulk!

Personally I like the form factor and find Korg pretty reliable, plus it'll save me dicking around trying to find an old Tektronix that still works or whatever. Maybe folks will mod the NTS-2. IDK but I'm keen to boot up into XY mode and get vector arcade games on there somehow. You know, for making music.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Me: *spends thousands on old samplers mixers and sequencers because I'm convinced they will be instrumental to me writing fun jungle and d'n'b*

Everyone else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgfZl3Rc5yw

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes but you can make your own samples, they have to rip theirs from someone else's music!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

free Trapt CD posted:

It's got dual function generators for whatever that's worth, but they don't seem to be CV-controllable or anything so I'm sure you'd be changing one parameter at a time with the rotary encoder. I'm sure there's a better option if you're buying in bulk!

Personally I like the form factor and find Korg pretty reliable, plus it'll save me dicking around trying to find an old Tektronix that still works or whatever. Maybe folks will mod the NTS-2. IDK but I'm keen to boot up into XY mode and get vector arcade games on there somehow. You know, for making music.

Well if I can play Battlezone you may be onto something

I was looking at getting an o scope with USB, I see them starting around $60 from Hantek, at least before I decide whether I want anything more. I'm also hoping to get a couple of those $25 o scope kits and connect them to the aux outputs of some of the tone generators I have here, just to have a visual.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I just grabbed an Arturia Microfreak, its incredibly fun to noodle with and seems like it will fit my style very well.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Welcome to the club, sir.

Make sure you join the discord: https://discord.gg/5EMWxpnj

Thank you for this.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

I just grabbed an Arturia Microfreak, its incredibly fun to noodle with and seems like it will fit my style very well.

They're really densely packed with features, eh?
In case you didn't realize just yet, it sends pressure info as aftertouch over midi, so you've got a pressure sensitive touchplate controller.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Looking recommendations for a reasonably priced general purpose midi box? Is the retrokits rk-006 the way to go or is there an alternative.

Generally don't use a PC and want to connect a bunch of gear together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

musicians friend posted:

Hello.

Thanks for reaching out.

After some research, It looks like this model Korg opsix FM Synthesizer is unfortunately on back order until the date of 9/28/22. This is the date given by the manufacturer and may fluctuate.

Thank you very much for your patience with this order

well that's some bullshit