Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like winning the Feinne fight in Soul Nomad, getting New Cycle and Asagi in the process. And then repeating that to get as many Asagis as you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the real unwinnable boss fight is this thread and discussing anything that isnt unwinnable boss fights

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every video game should have to operate under Sonic mandates where you're not allowed to lose badly and even when you lose you still win actually

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Anyone have an opinion on Light Fairytale? It's an episodic (j)rpg that looks cute. I bought the first episode on sale but I haven't tried it yet.

Selane
May 19, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

Was it Star Ocean 2 that had unwinnable boss fights where you also needed to stay alive for at least a whole minute or else it resulted in a Game Over
If I remember correctly, Star Ocean 2 had no less than three different types of rigged boss fights. There was a fight against Shin that you had to lose. Then there was another fight against Shin where you had to damage him to a certain point. Then there was also the fight against Berle where you had to survive for sixty seconds or something.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Are they talking about the frogs or the monkeys? Frogs are SimaFort, monkeys are Highfort.

oooh yeah i completely forgot about that incredible waste of time

im starting to think this game isnt any good!!!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm playing Tales of Vespiria and its portrayal of class is not exactly subtle. Appreciated, but not subtle.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but can anyone explain the KotOR situation to me?

From what I can tell, the version on Steam is (more or less) the original BioWare 2003 release. Aspyr has the publishing rights to it now, but they haven't provided any real updates to the PC version since they were (allegedly) working on a remake, which apparently now has been moved to Saber and will come out TBA.

However, Aspyr was in charge of last year's Switch port of KotOR which has numerous QoL improvements and is the best way to play it at the moment?

Meanwhile, for KotOR II, Aspyr did produce an updated version in 2015 with widescreen support, and this is (more or less) what the recent Switch version is based on? And while the lost content was never officially added, Aspyr has publicly endorsed the Restored Content Mod? And this is what they're bringing to the Switch as free DLC at some point?

Asking because I have KotOR on Switch, and both I and II on Steam, but trying to figure out which of the Switch or Steam Deck is the better way to play each.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but can anyone explain the KotOR situation to me?

From what I can tell, the version on Steam is (more or less) the original BioWare 2003 release. Aspyr has the publishing rights to it now, but they haven't provided any real updates to the PC version since they were (allegedly) working on a remake, which apparently now has been moved to Saber and will come out TBA.

However, Aspyr was in charge of last year's Switch port of KotOR which has numerous QoL improvements and is the best way to play it at the moment?

Meanwhile, for KotOR II, Aspyr did produce an updated version in 2015 with widescreen support, and this is (more or less) what the recent Switch version is based on? And while the lost content was never officially added, Aspyr has publicly endorsed the Restored Content Mod? And this is what they're bringing to the Switch as free DLC at some point?

Asking because I have KotOR on Switch, and both I and II on Steam, but trying to figure out which of the Switch or Steam Deck is the better way to play each.

I believe all of that is correct, yes.

Aspyr were doing a KOTOR remake also but they showed what they had to Lucas/Disney, seemingly got a response of "What the gently caress is this", let two directors go and now it appears Saber is taking up the helm on the project.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

i gave up on fell seal in the first mission lol
i choose to believe everyone who likes it has stockholm syndrome from their need for another "FFT" though i was not giving the game a fair chance

im actually liking langrisser more than i would, the troop thing does make battles way longer but its not like you actually have to indivually move each one and can just animation skip... and there is like interesting stuff in the like get the units around you so you can do a buff spell and what not...

too bad the game is incredibly easy so these tactical decisions don't feel as impactful as it could

Langrisser still feels way too slow and it's a shame because Lang 4 does seem interesting.

I've got a pet theory that SRPGs died because of game speed issues which would explain why Fire Emblem was the one series to survive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

Langrisser still feels way too slow and it's a shame because Lang 4 does seem interesting.

I've got a pet theory that SRPGs died because of game speed issues which would explain why Fire Emblem was the one series to survive.

Gears Tactics is an SRPG and, no no, you're right its really fast actually.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mysticblade posted:

I always feel bad for skipping animations because some of them are really well crafted and whatnot, but sometimes I just want to see numbers go down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I always feel bad for skipping animations because some of them are really well crafted and whatnot, but sometimes I just want to see numbers go down.

Animations are cutscenes, and cutscenes should always be skipped

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

RareAcumen posted:

The only problem I have with boss fights that you lose to progress the story is when you have to survive to a specific point. Like if you come into it on 4% health and take one hit and die and that gives you a game over. Just play the story forward and say that they're too strong! Scarlet Nexus did that, as a recent example on my part.

That is how TWEWY did it, but being real-time battles, you had to survive for a set amount of time.

But Reaper Beat and Minamimoto will hand you your rear end if you're not careful, so it's absolutely justified in the story.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tae posted:

The "losing in cutscene" problem wasn't just about that in Cold Steel, it was the alarming, constant frequency for basically every story fight which spans like 30+ hours.

I don't necessarily mind unwinnables or just being set back in the plot (cause otherwise that kind of limits where plots can go), but the frequency it happened in CS2 got old.

I haven't played 3 or 4, nor have any plans to, so I dunno if it got any better there.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the best boss QOL thing I've seen lately is SMTV telling you which status effects actually work on bosses

That little feature was ported over from Etrian Odyssey! Started in 2 Untold and is a nice thing to know when fighting big enemies.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 23, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

just learned about a fan remake of smt1 that adds a bunch of new stuff, its not tled yet but hopefully it'll get tled like that one ff6 romhack patch https://w.atwiki.jp/rpgvxmegaten1/sp/pages/16.html

Mysticblade posted:

the best change awakening ever did was letting you hit start to skip all of the enemy phase (unless a unit died or something)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

XB3 has a bunch of them too, you go toe-to-toe with big scary enemy and then kick their rear end easily because lol you've been doing sidequests and so on and then oops, cutscene says get hosed

I think you can count the number of those on 1 hand in XBC3. Especially if you keep in mind that in certain fights you are very clearly not winning and the boss's HP gauge is just for you to move on to what's coming next.

Like, this is really noticeable in the ch5 end fight where you're literally bashing away at a boss who is just calmly focusing and slashing the poo poo out of your party the entire time.

OddObserver posted:

Suikoden III actually does it. I don't know what happens if you win the fight when you do it as the player, though

IIRC each of the fights just give you some exp and maybe a rune drop but it's not a unique rune (thankfully). Though in those fights, the boss can and will instantly wipe your party if you're unlucky. Masked Bishop fight in Geddoe's first act comes to mind in particular.

There's also the duel where you outright cannot take the enemy's bar below half health, assuming you make it that far since they can one or two shot Hugo.

Oxxidation posted:

tetsu is trash tier. tora at least invites you to dinner

Tora's firmly in the mediocre tier at the least and that's entirely due to Poppi since we couldn't have her without him and Poppi is The Best.

Tatsu literally does nothing but drag down XBX and the game would be outright better if he wasn't in it. Lin should've cooked him and been done with it. Tatsu is even worse than the Handler from MHW.

Srice posted:

A specific example I was thinking of with a normally unwinnable boss fight that rewards you if you win was Lufia II, which has a boss fight that normally wipes you out in a turn or two but if you do manage to win you get one of the best weapons in the game. And then the boss reveals he wasn't fighting with his full power and immediately destroys you in the cutscene if you do manage to win but if you die in the fight that scene doesn't happen. I'm cool with that considering the context around it.

IIRC, that boss actually is fighting you at full power and uses their endgame stats which is why they can and will obliterate your party instantly unless you get super lucky and can buff/debuff for a turn or 3. I played through Lufia 2 earlier this year and even with save states it was nearly impossible to win that fight on a regular party. Retry mode is a lot more feasible simply due to the fact you can have an extra 5-10 levels by that point even without grinding, giving you enough HP for everyone in the party to survive the AOE reliably even without buffs and debuffs in place yet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mysticblade posted:

Literally the worst year to mark the death of srpg

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

its the year of the srpg babey!!!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Quackles posted:

That is how TWEWY did it, but being real-time battles, you had to survive for a set amount of time.

But Reaper Beat and Minamimoto will hand you your rear end if you're not careful, so it's absolutely justified in the story.

Iirc TWEWY also has it as an option to win those fights if you’re on Hard mode where the standard “you still lost in the cutscene right after” but it’s also cool because you get the best healing pin in the game from spoiler boss.

Edit:

Booky posted:

the best change awakening ever did was letting you hit start to skip all of the enemy phase (unless a unit died or something)

I think that change was introduced way back in Shadow Dragon with the other QOL stuff like cutting enemy phase walking so they just instant transmission to tiles.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 23, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the s in srpg stands for sex, because its the only genre good as sex!!!!!!!! (not true) (im sorry to lie to you) (it stands for stratgey)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It stands for Tactics. This is extra confusing because the T in TRPG stands for Strategy.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

SRPGs absolutely died, they just came back from the dead recently. I don't know if the recent boom in them will hold but I hope they do stay alive this time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they never really died honestly. they were always pretty popular in japan. a lot of them for the nes/snes didnt get translated but around the early 2000s they started to get translated as much as any other genre, and they never went away.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just toss a phoenix down before they crystallize.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i always wonder how many 90s japan only srpgs would have needed to been changed in translation to pass muster, keeping in mind 90s nintendo of america policies on religion and content and such

probably, a pretty big chunk of em

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of SRPGs not being dead,

Disgaea 7 announced. Has a traditional Japan theme. Coming to PS4, PS5, and Switch.

quote:

The demons of Hinomoto abide the laws Opener has laid down called “Hinomoto Destroy Hatto.”

“Hinomoto Destroy Hatto”

One: Destroy Bushido.
Two: Anyone who complains about their salary or taxes will be killed.
Three: Say “no thanks” to friendship or love.
Four: Please help the strong and defeat the weak.
Five: Fights are what make the Netherworld, so feel free to inflict violence.
…all who do not abide by these laws will be punished by the Harakiri.

This is a story about a girl who admires Bushido, and a young man who hates Bushido, as they fight for what they believe in, in a world that forgot honor.

New gameplay gimmicks are characters growing giant sized and being able to reincarnate grind weapons, too.

They're also adding an asynchronous PVP mode, where you can set up your characters with AI scripts and then put them up for other players to try and beat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

is the switch version gonna have more than 20 fps at 240p this time

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Disgaea 7 announced. Has a traditional Japan theme. Coming to PS4, PS5, and Switch.

New gameplay gimmicks are characters growing giant sized and being able to reincarnate grind weapons, too.

They're also adding an asynchronous PVP mode, where you can set up your characters with AI scripts and then put them up for other players to try and beat.

I can tell from the trailer they’re scaling back the numbers from 6 which is neat to know that’s a one-off thing. Also conventional weapon mastery is back!

…as long as we’re talking Disgaea, would be cool if they ported Disgaea D2, it’s one of the better entries in the series imho.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I never got into D6 because of all the stuff people were saying about how it was scaled back drastically from previous games, so maybe I'll check this one out in the hopes of chasing that D4/5 high again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Am I understanding correctly that the female lead is a weeb?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SRPGs may have never died, but it's telling how many series disappeared over the years. FFT, Tactics Ogre, Shining Force and Langrisser just to name a few. Shining Force never recovered from the Saturn and morphed into a standard ARPG, and the others just died off completely after having a sequel or 2 on the GBA or DS. I don't think Langrisser even got that much. Dynasty Tactics was another great series that lived and died on the PS2 like so many others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Am I understanding correctly that the female lead is a weeb?
she seems to be foreign to the netherworld and obsessed with the ideals of bushido, while the protagonist is a samurai who has rejected bushido. so basically yes

Walla posted:

SRPGs may have never died, but it's telling how many series disappeared over the years. FFT, Tactics Ogre, Shining Force and Langrisser just to name a few. Shining Force never recovered from the Saturn and morphed into a standard ARPG, and the others just died off completely after having a sequel or 2 on the GBA or DS. I don't think Langrisser even got that much. Dynasty Tactics was another great series that lived and died on the PS2 like so many others.
Sure, but plenty of other series rose up in their place? Luminous Arc, Utawarerumono, The Union series, Disgaea. Some of those series died on the vine too, but still. the PS2 was definitely a golden age of completely random SRPG spinoffs but the Vita had a ton of random one off SRPGs.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 23, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Her splash screen calls her a Hinomoto otaku (Hinomoto being a kanji pun on Nihon, basically) and we see her taking selfies in her animations, so I'm guessing it's a little broader than just bushido, but good to know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Genres don't die, they just go into recession. Like how collectathon games are now just the Assassin's Creed series

Endorph posted:

drat, already? I haven't even bought 6 yet because I'll be damned if I pay 70$ for a game even if I'm excited for it! Still though, wow swapping to 3D models is really fast forwarding development speed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Walla posted:

Langrisser

This one's kinda doing alright. There's a very solid little mobile title that has an original campaign but also every so often you unlock "flashbacks" which are basically remakes of old stories. I think it's up to Langrisser IV.

Also the Langrisser I + II port on Steam is quite good, lot of little quality of life functions and difficulty options for a variety of players.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Genres don't die, they just go into recession. Like how collectathon games are now just the Assassin's Creed series

Man collectathons really went downhill

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

drat, already? I haven't even bought 6 yet because I'll be damned if I pay 70$ for a game even if I'm excited for it! Still though, wow swapping to 3D models is really fast forwarding development speed.

About the same turnaround as D2 to D3 I guess

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Man collectathons really went downhill

All the mascots animals except Ratchet, Sonic and Nintendo owned ones got put in the Roger Rabbit Dip.

kirbysuperstar posted:

About the same turnaround as D2 to D3 I guess

Maybe D6 has been done for longer than I realized and it's just me waiting till it became available on PS4 that has my idea of how long they took to get made skewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is langrisser worth trying out if you've never played them before and know nothing about them

Also, winter voices is not really a good game but it's still something worth reading about because it's a unique take on strategy rpgs. It's a game where you can't actually fight the enemies in any traditional way, it's all about surviving and escaping though secretly best girl can say a lot more about Winter Voices than I ever could since I never even played anything past the first chapter.

Also, lots of indie tactics rpgs on steam. Idk if there are any standout must-have titles but I've found a couple that look, at the very least, competent. Such as Far Away From Home.

quote:

Far Away From Home is a story-driven tactical RPG. Battle foes in turn-based combat, turn monstrous enemies into friends, customize your party with a variety of builds, and craft powerful gear to enhance your playstyle. Unfold the mystery of your lost party as you try to find a way home.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874260/Far_Away_From_Home/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256901487/movie480_vp9.webm