Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I tend to rewatch movies from my childhood like Close Encounters of the Third Kind, IT the miniseries, Explorers and Flight of the Navigator. Usually when I'm drunk though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I’ll add What We do in the Shadows to my list

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

UHF

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Bargearse posted:

I haven't seen it in years. Maybe I was unfair to it but so far it's the only Star Wars movie I have no desire to revisit.

Give it another watch, but through the eyes of a 6 year old not as a disappointed lifelong Star Wars fan. It’s got everything, undersea adventure, space ships, cool robots, laser battles pew-pew, dudes with magic powers, a goofy alien with a funny voice, a beautiful Queen in a fancy dress, a little kid winning a race against a bunch of weird monsters. Episode 1 rules.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Many good selections have already been stated.

Two for me I don’t think I’ve seen yet are Scott Pilgrim and Rushmore.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

2nd Amendment posted:

Yeah Judge Dredd. One of Sly's best

I've never seen Judge Dredd, I've only seen Dredd

One More Fat Nerd posted:

You wanted to revisit Attack of The Clones?? Or Rise Of Skywalker?

Attack of the Clones marks the first time I was ever bored while actually seeing a movie in a theater. Memories :allears:

Seeing Rise of Skywalker in theaters & groaning in unison with everyone in the theater when (are spoilers still necessary? Rey & Kylo kiss) was a fun experience though

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tarkus posted:

IT the miniseries.

Oh yeah, I think this goes without saying.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

Attack of the Clones marks the first time I was ever bored while actually seeing a movie in a theater. Memories :allears:

Seeing Rise of Skywalker in theaters & groaning in unison with everyone in the theater when (are spoilers still necessary? Rey & Kylo kiss) was a fun experience though

I've tried to watch AotC like 3 times and fallen asleep each time. I have never fallen asleep in another movie. My brain hears the Anakin/Padme dialog and just shuts down.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Jelly posted:

The Princess Bride

That movie has a lot of weird/bad poo poo in it that the plot handwaves away.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Hot Rod
Glengarry Glen Ross
Lebowski
Goodfellas

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Rounders

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I think I've seen GoldenEye and Raiders of the Lost Ark about 80 times each

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Muppet Movie

Disney's Robin Hood

PeeWee's Big Adventure

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Silence of the lambs is an evergreen movie

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Blade Runner

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

YeahTubaMike posted:

You're a Palpatine was the moment I almost bailed. Like, the last movie actually tried to do something new and interesting and here comes JJ Abrams and his Lowtaxian lack of spine pretending it didn't happen.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Back in the old days I used to watch The Rules of Attraction with the Carrot Top commentary all the time, but I no longer have a DVD player and I don't think you can get commentaries anymore??

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bargearse posted:

You're a Palpatine was the moment I almost bailed. Like, the last movie actually tried to do something new and interesting and here comes JJ Abrams and his Lowtaxian lack of spine pretending it didn't happen.

That was pretty awful, but I think the worst parts of the movie for me were Poe's "I'm totally not gay because I canonically want to have sex with a woman who is also my ex-gf" and Finn's "I'm totally not gay because I sat near a Black girl once" moments.

Also, the part where the spy turned out to be Hux, like the movie had been aggressively telegraphing for the whole drat time. So many bad things about this movie.

edit: punctuation is important

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 23, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I've watched The Hours like three times on planes and it never gets less depressing. Sometimes, if I wanna bum myself out, I'll put on The Hours.

Also,

Hereditary
Fargo
Noriko's Dinner Table
Ponyo
Goodfellas
Ikiru
Rosemary's Baby

a couple of night24 vids

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Omg hell yeah fargo

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

YeahTubaMike posted:

That was pretty awful, but I think the worst parts of the movie for me were Poe's "I'm totally not gay because I canonically want to have sex with a woman who is also my ex-gf and Finn's I'm not gay because I sat near a Black girl once moments.

Also, the part where the spy turned out to be Hux, like the movie had been aggressively telegraphing for the whole drat time. So many bad things about this movie.

The most frustrating thing was that it could have been different, there was a lot of genuinely good stuff there but it just didn't come together. Carrie Fisher's death and the sudden last minute change of director didn't do the movie any favours.

Should have just given the whole trilogy to Rian Johnson imo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Making it a trilogy but having no creative continuity was really the dumbest thing

It's amazing that it even happened

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Blues Brothers shows Chicago when the Maxwell Street Market was still there, it being gone is one of the great horrors humanity has inflicted on itself.

Larry Cohen’s I, the Jury is the perfect encapsulation of ~1980 Times Square sleaze.

Plus of course any Evil Dead, Lebowski, Darkman, first Raiders, Hudsucker Proxy, Airplane, any 70s to mid-90s Jackie Chan or Chow Yun Fat movie, Citizen Kane, and the Arnold Conan movie are impossible to turn off if I see any moment.

Streaming has brought us a great loss, we can no longer flip a channel and find ourselves in the middle of a movie and get immediately fascinated, you always start at the beginning.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Making it a trilogy but having no creative continuity was really the dumbest thing

Yeah, and it was a planned trilogy, not just one movie that keeps getting sequels.

Baffling

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Remulak posted:

Streaming has brought us a great loss, we can no longer flip a channel and find ourselves in the middle of a movie and get immediately fascinated, you always start at the beginning.

I'm a moron who pays for cable and I do this literally every day.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

godzilla vs megalon

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

The Bloop posted:

They might have gotten away with it if they managed to stick the landing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sometimes I'll watch Bowling for Columbine if I have the blues. Michael Moore has his problems and all, but it was the first movie where I realized that sometimes things don't get fixed, they just coast along awfully and get worse and worse over time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm a moron who pays for cable and I do this literally every day.

I’m even stupider, I pay for cable and only watch streaming*.

*Because my internet is metered if I don’t pay for cable.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

YeahTubaMike posted:

You owe it to yourself to watch it. When I first rewatched it as an adult over a decade ago I realized I was about to see something special during the credits.

Starring

Sylvester Stallone

with

Rob Schneider

If that pitch doesn't sell you, it's basically the last shout of '80s Action/sci-fi genre. Really great stuff if you like that genre. Maybe a little too ironic for some viewers and the '70s sci-fi they were sending up was a little too distant at the time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No desire to see Judge Dredd. I saw a bit of it and loved that the old dude from The Exorcist was in it who was perpetually 75 years old for loving 40 years. But it was boring. It was on TV though so I didn't give it a solid chance.

Although, I have a better suggestion for a movie featuring Stallone and Schneider.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
shawnshank redemption being on TNT constantly in the mid 90s and me loving it means i can watch it constantly and love it

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

2nd Amendment posted:

Rob Schneider

tbh when i watched judge dredd recently i liked it more than i thought i would

except this part, oh man, the comedic relief did nothing for me

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I used to watch the original Evil Dead every night and I only stopped because I can't find the dvd, so that's one. It's not funny like the sequel/reboot, just really low budget and gross and earnest. I think any filmmaker who wants to make a horror comedy should make a straight horror movie first.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hard counter posted:

tbh when i watched judge dredd recently i liked it more than i thought i would

except this part, oh man, the comedic relief did nothing for me

It’s not good but probably could have been tweaked to be maybe Batman Returns level of quality. Get Stallone to wear the helmet 50% more, cut Rob’s part to a few scenes, totally drop the romance angle, rewrite the ending to be coherent, and you’ve still got great for the time CGI and excellent set designs. Not a four star film but could easily be in the three range.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
People who give a poo poo about Dredd's helmet should be chemically sterilized.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

GABA ghoul posted:

Silence of the lambs is an evergreen movie

Red Dragon too

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Haverchuck posted:

Red Dragon too

It’s not bad, but it’s no Manhunter. And it certainly ain’t silence of the lambs.

Ok it’s kind of bad

Just in a very, very mainstream way.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Big Trouble in Little China. I stop whatever I'm doing to watch it when its on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
French Cinéma du look trash from the 80s. I can watch The Big Blue on repeat, just for the visuals and Eric Serra's score.

Gresh posted:

Blade Runner

It's an atmospheric and iconic movie but there is a scene in it with such hokey writing and acting, everytime I watch it kind of annoys me enough to not want to watch it again for a long time after. "I'm from the American Federation of Variety Artists, ya got any peep holes in your dressing room?". I should just make a non-aggravating background viewing edit that skips that bit and straight onto Zhora elbowing his stupid face.