Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

giogadi posted:

Omg please stop.

Mobas like dota are better for society than most AAA action games. Trying (even if it fails) to get strangers to work together on something as hard as dota is loving awesome and way better than giving people an Achievement Simulator that makes you forget that you’re winning at something that was designed for even the dumbest players to win without much effort

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this would be true if a single one of them ever spent any amount of money on moderation so they could permaban the people who get mad over losing a videogame and start shouting slurs and telling their teammates to kill themselves

:hai:

Right. Getting people to play together is literally true for every multiplayer or co-op game. And almost all of them are better than the cesspool that is LoL or any other MOBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

giogadi posted:

A perfect example of the value of competitive multiplayer is racing games like Gran Turismo.

As a lifetime GT player I jumped on GT Sport assuming I’d Gold every race because, guess what! The single player campaign teaches you that you’re “supposed” to win every race. Then you meet the real world and realize, omg: only ONE person can win every race? And that person is literally never me? How will I find meaning now?

Then I realized there is so much joy in just having a great race against somebody, even if I’m just fighting for 12th place. And then I look back at the single player campaign and it feels almost profane in comparison

an extreme example of this is iRacing, since it's such a sim and being a subscription with paid cars and tracks, everyone who plays it tends to take it incredibly seriously. some of the most exciting wheel to wheel racing I've ever had have been in practice session servers before a race has even started.

i've also only ever had 5 wins after about two years of racing.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I don’t disagree that mobas can be toxic. But the value that comes from figuring things out and getting to a point where you can strategize with other people, IMO vastly overcomes the negatives. And those negatives are not in any way intrinsic to the game. And obviously if you find a group of chill people to play with it’s basically nirvana.

I once had a (I’m guessing) 11-year-old teammate in CSGO that was so incredibly good at strategizing AND managing the egos of the team that I would’ve hired that dude on the spot as a manager, ezpz.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

an extreme example of this is iRacing, since it's such a sim and being a subscription with paid cars and tracks, everyone who plays it tends to take it incredibly seriously. some of the most exciting wheel to wheel racing I've ever had have been in practice session servers before a race has even started.

i've also only ever had 5 wins after about two years of racing.

Yeah!! I play iracing as well, and have podiumed maybe once in a year of play. It’s a beautiful experience. It’s too bad GT sells this awful fake experience as “an experience for the true car lover” where you just win every race by tricking your car out to be 2x faster than the competition, and you get no encouragement from the game to try to engage it as an actual racing game.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

giogadi posted:

Yeah!! I play iracing as well, and have podiumed maybe once in a year of play. It’s a beautiful experience. It’s too bad GT sells this awful fake experience as “an experience for the true car lover” where you just win every race by tricking your car out to be 2x faster than the competition, and you get no encouragement from the game to try to engage it as an actual racing game.

I'll give GT credit that it at least has some kind of safety rating now these days doesn't it? I haven't played sport or the new one as I only have a pc now. there's definitely room for "simcade" games imo, especially when it comes to single player, but in forza at least multiplayer is a shitshow because there's no downside to ramming people or divebombing from a mile back.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I'll give GT credit that it at least has some kind of safety rating now these days doesn't it? I haven't played sport or the new one as I only have a pc now. there's definitely room for "simcade" games imo, especially when it comes to single player, but in forza at least multiplayer is a shitshow because there's no downside to ramming people or divebombing from a mile back.

Oh sorry, I was specifically talking about GT’s single player campaign, which is what I imagine 99% of players engage with solely.

The Sport online mode is great.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Stop trying to act like there's anything valuable to be gained for yourself or for society by playing video games. They're fun and it's okay to play them but they are culturally and educationally void and always will be.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

giogadi posted:

Oh sorry, I was specifically talking about GT’s single player campaign, which is what I imagine 99% of players engage with solely.

The Sport online mode is great.

you are right about the single player. it's just upgrade your car to be as fast as possible and you don't even need to care about handling because the AI always sucks.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

"I'd hire that child who knew how to hold corners in an fps" says supernerd who lists running a wow guild on their cv

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Catboy is absolutely correct

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

"I'd hire that child who knew how to hold corners in an fps" says supernerd who lists running a wow guild on their cv

you're gonna look so silly when I hit champ in rocket league and the mayor gives me the key to the city

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Stop trying to act like there's anything valuable to be gained for yourself or for society by playing video games. They're fun and it's okay to play them but they are culturally and educationally void and always will be.

Nothing more sad than a self hating catboy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

there is nothing to be gained by anything. we are all dust in the end

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

HEY. If I were better than bronze league in literally any game I’ve ever played, I’d slam that poo poo right at the top of my cv. First sentence of my cover letter. In my email signature

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I was gold 5 last time I played league but I can't decide if my talents would be more valuable at a tech startup or at MIT

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Do y’all know anyone who is an awful toxic online gamer type, but is otherwise a nice and cool person? I don’t personally know any gamers like this so I can’t answer this but I’m curious if anybody else does.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

By definition they aren't nice or cool though?

"It's ok, I'm not a violent person. I only beat my spouse! :v:"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I learned english exclusively from videogames. Then I was making lovely forums and websites about videogames. Then I got a job making websites for an international company.

It would have to be an extreme dullard to think people put "playing videogames" on their CV. The kind of person who thinks outside the box, inside a box.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

itry posted:

By definition they aren't nice or cool though?

"It's ok, I'm not a violent person. I only beat my spouse! :v:"

Maybe I should ask this differently: is anyone friends with a toxic online gamer? If so, why?

Do these people have friends? How?

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
you know what's even better than developing teamwork from videogames? any Sport at all.

especially since most of them would help get you in shape, then u might get hosed. (as a positive)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

EA Sports posted:

you know what's even better than developing teamwork from videogames? any Sport at all.

especially since most of them would help get you in shape, then u might get hosed. (as a positive)

you're just trying to sell more copies of fifa and madden i'm onto you "EA Sports"

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Lots of pro athletes play esports

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

giogadi posted:

“You are NOT a pro athlete”

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Back in my day we went outside and ran through the woods :arghfist:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I know it's not a deep game and in some ways isn't even a GOOD game but gently caress The Ascent is just gorgeous. It's got that cyberpunk feel down perfectly. I'm in the high town area and I'm astonished at the level of detail. It's a shame this wasn't more RPG-y.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Meme Poker Party posted:

That's grandfathered in as a non-souls game because they weren't the souls company yet.

Good point. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn and Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airou Village are Souls-likes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What is the best shooter that doesn’t require me having to rely on other people in any meaningful way?

Also I expect short rounds, and hopefully no vertical progression

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

jokes posted:

What is the best shooter that doesn’t require me having to rely on other people in any meaningful way?

quake live

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

jokes posted:

Evolve Stage 2, just play as the monster

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

giogadi posted:

pretty much the entire NBA are closeted nerds and always have been

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

itry posted:

They read your inputs.

Tbh I don't mind that part of Elden Ring at all. It's kind of counterintuitive, but imo it makes for better design if you get consistently punished for leaving yourself open 100% of the time and know for sure what you can and can't get away with.

That said, Elden Ring is basically just ike a big buffet and has the quality to match. The big dungeons are like delicious fresh cuts of steak, and the exploration is like munching on chicken tenders. But there's no real identity, nothing is made for purpose and a lot of it is very obviously being reused. Those catacombs in particular are downright embarrassing, those are like the sketchy seafood tray. And the PvP is the food poisoning.

I still love it, but only because I haven't played a game this poorly balanced (in a fun way) since Morrowind. Its nowhere near that good, but if you know what you're doing you can game the mechanics in ways that are always rewarding. Like using powerstanced scythes to 2-shot Radahn before anyone else because his hit boxes were kinda hosed up so jumping attacks would hit him like 4 times.
Unpopular opini9n, but I think they went for "funny" over "balanced" and it was the right call. After Sekiro and Nioh 2 a game that tried to earnestly su4vive on the Dark Souls combat system would seem to be a massive step back. Adding unbalanced weapons, like a trumpet that can can kill dragons faster than any sword, are what makes it fun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jokes posted:

ultrakill

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

Halo Infinite. :colbert:

Anyway, games that make you have to hit enemies a million times before they die like Blasphemous or Hollow Knight have bad combat systems and drag otherwise good games down. Oh, you found an upgrade to increase sword damage by .05%? I take it back, the combat system is good now.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Nioh was too hard for me! :mad:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bifner McDoogle posted:

That said, Elden Ring is basically just ike a big buffet and has the quality to match. The big dungeons are like delicious fresh cuts of steak, and the exploration is like munching on chicken tenders. But there's no real identity, nothing is made for purpose and a lot of it is very obviously being reused. Those catacombs in particular are downright embarrassing, those are like the sketchy seafood tray. And the PvP is the food poisoning.

I still love it, but only because I haven't played a game this poorly balanced (in a fun way) since Morrowind. Its nowhere near that good, but if you know what you're doing you can game the mechanics in ways that are always rewarding. Like using powerstanced scythes to 2-shot Radahn before anyone else because his hit boxes were kinda hosed up so jumping attacks would hit him like 4 times.
Unpopular opini9n, but I think they went for "funny" over "balanced" and it was the right call. After Sekiro and Nioh 2 a game that tried to earnestly su4vive on the Dark Souls combat system would seem to be a massive step back. Adding unbalanced weapons, like a trumpet that can can kill dragons faster than any sword, are what makes it fun.

Those doot doot horns are pretty funny, it's true. Not very useful in co-op though. At least not as useful as just bleeding everything to death.

neato burrito posted:

Nioh was too hard for me! :mad:

Have you tried getting good? :grin:

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

giogadi posted:

Do y’all know anyone who is an awful toxic online gamer type, but is otherwise a nice and cool person? I don’t personally know any gamers like this so I can’t answer this but I’m curious if anybody else does.

My flatmate is a high school teacher and uses all the gamer words while playing Rocket League. He otherwise never uses them. It was very funny to watch him run classes over Zoom and have to tell his students to not use the same words and to stop playing Fortnite during class.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 23, 2022

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Redezga posted:

My flatmate is a high school teacher and uses all the gamer words while playing Rocket League. He otherwise never uses them. It was very funny to watch him run classes over Zoom and have to tell his students to not use the same words and to stop playing Fortnite during class.

I suppose watching a bigot be a hypocrite could be funny. Not really my flavor of humor

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

Unreal tournament

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I like Yakuza's scale for open worldness. It's a small open world, but it is dense and full of things to do and every corner you turn you run into a guy with underwear on his head or something and it keeps me engaged. I can't think of any other open world games on the same scale. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines? That game is real loving old though.
VtMB has tiny, tiny "cities" with almost no one in them. It helps that it's set exclusively at night time (because vampires) so you don't expect crowded streets, but there are only a handful of locations with anything to do and you keep returning to them and speaking to the same people. I love the game, but it's not an open world and it's not dense with characters or activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

giogadi posted:

Omg please stop.

Mobas like dota are better for society than most AAA action games. Trying (even if it fails) to get strangers to work together on something as hard as dota is loving awesome and way better than giving people an Achievement Simulator that makes you forget that you’re winning at something that was designed for even the dumbest players to win without much effort

lol yup dota invented the concept of cooperative multiplayer