Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Tiggum posted:

VtMB has tiny, tiny "cities" with almost no one in them. It helps that it's set exclusively at night time (because vampires) so you don't expect crowded streets, but there are only a handful of locations with anything to do and you keep returning to them and speaking to the same people. I love the game, but it's not an open world and it's not dense with characters or activities.

It's a great RPG/adventure game, but it was made on a budget a long time ago and you need to install a bunch of bugfix and content restoration patches for it to be playable, and it will still sometimes crash or you'll find your last five saves are broken every once in a while. Also, you should use noclipping while looking for the Nosferatu warren, it will still take you half an hour wandering through the world's most convoluted water treatment plant that has zero landmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

lol yup dota invented the concept of cooperative multiplayer

You must have misread my post. I didn’t say dota was the only coop mp game. I’m saying that even a mp game as full of brain damaged shitlords as dota is a better use of time than the typical single player action game

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

no video game is a good use of time, basically anything else is a better use of time

however, your time isn't that valuable so it doesn't matter much

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

lol yup dota invented the concept of cooperative multiplayer

What the hell does Dota have to do with cooperative multiplayer?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

What the hell does Dota have to do with cooperative multiplayer?

THEY BOTH SUCK AND DEATHMATCHES R8LE OBVIOUSLY

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If what you're after is the satisfaction of wrangling a handful random idiots into doing something complex and cohesive, FFXI blows DOTA out of the water

Or at least it used to, I think the game is something completely different now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Devils Affricate posted:

Exactly. Armored Core is a Souls-like.

While it's a different genre everything I've heard about the Armored Core setting and tone is basically sci-fi Dark Souls as gently caress. That is, everything's hosed, the world's falling apart and the people left with power are all insane and evil.

Also the Moonlight Greatsword is in it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I suppose watching a bigot be a hypocrite could be funny. Not really my flavor of humor

God you are so loving annoying. Every post I ever read of yours is some self righteous fart huff. we get it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

God you are so loving annoying. Every post I ever read of yours is some self righteous fart huff. we get it.

Dude, chill, you're both horrible

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There should be more games about competitive kissing imo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think there's any way to accurately judge competitive kissing because what constitutes a 'good kiss' is highly subjective. There are a million variables and furthermore,

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I don't think there's any way to accurately judge competitive kissing because what constitutes a 'good kiss' is highly subjective. There are a million variables and furthermore,

This is exactly why we need a good sim, computers might have finally caught up to our needs.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I volunteer as an objective judge. I only require periodic Gatorade and mouthwash.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

If what you're after is the satisfaction of wrangling a handful random idiots into doing something complex and cohesive, FFXI blows DOTA out of the water

Or at least it used to, I think the game is something completely different now

both if these games are baby garbage compared to the coordination between players in EVE online

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Dude, chill, you're both horrible

You are all horrible.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sebmojo posted:

You are all horrible.

no we aren't

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:unsmith:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Hey, we're this close to page 2000, and we have forgotten what brought us all together in the first place: reporting that Donkey Kong Country sucks rear end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor J Off posted:

Hey, we're this close to page 2000, and we have forgotten what brought us all together in the first place: reporting that Donkey Kong Country sucks rear end

This is this threads "next year in Jerusalem"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

This is this threads "next year in Jerusalem"

I read this in the DBZ announcer voice

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Doctor J Off posted:

It does indeed suck rear end and Miyamoto should sue Rare and the Nintendo higher ups for slandering his good name.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Doctor J Off posted:

That's very true.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor J Off posted:

DKC1 - Bad
DKC2 - Good
DKC3 - Good even though people bitch about stupid poo poo with it
DKCJB - Best
DKCKoS - Sucks
DKCR - Best "regular" DKC game
DKCTF - Good

I forget the order for the Gameboy games but they're all sub-DKC1 levels of bad.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Maximum Carnage on the genesis wasn't that bad.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yuffie is actually the hottest one.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

kntfkr posted:

Maximum Carnage on the genesis wasn't that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevm2wPbC6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW4PAoK0WLk
(features morb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR_LHODOOw0

lol that the best music in that game is The Mob Rules by Sabbath

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 23, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crafting is a bad idea and shouldn't be in games (that aren't centrally about that, I guess).

Sure, I'd love to play this fun game, but first let me organise my giant loving inventory and look up the specific resources I need for the six types of things I need to make and, hold on, just let me check the slight variance on these stat modifiers so I can see which one to equip to upgrade my damage by 0.47%. :rolleyes:

If you're going to put that bullshit into a game, you should at least have the courtesy to make the UX as convenient as possible. Like, let me just specify the things I want to make and set that to automatically happen whenever possible, and set which things are worthless garbage I don't want and auto-sell them whenever I encounter a trader.

Also, manually gathering resources is busy-work. Teleport them into my inventory when I get close. You know, like how you used to pick things up in video games.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Donkey Kong Land 1 and 2 seemed pretty impressive for their time. Comparatively bare bones for a Rare game in comparison to stuff like DKC, but the controls and animation felt very smooth and responsive compared to a lot of other platformers on the original Game Boy.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Tiggum posted:

Crafting is a bad idea and shouldn't be in games (that aren't centrally about that, I guess).

Sure, I'd love to play this fun game, but first let me organise my giant loving inventory and look up the specific resources I need for the six types of things I need to make and, hold on, just let me check the slight variance on these stat modifiers so I can see which one to equip to upgrade my damage by 0.47%. :rolleyes:

If you're going to put that bullshit into a game, you should at least have the courtesy to make the UX as convenient as possible. Like, let me just specify the things I want to make and set that to automatically happen whenever possible, and set which things are worthless garbage I don't want and auto-sell them whenever I encounter a trader.

Also, manually gathering resources is busy-work. Teleport them into my inventory when I get close. You know, like how you used to pick things up in video games.

Dark Messiah has that perfect balance of Inventory and Crafting for a non-crafting game. Every item is meaningful and you'll rarely -if ever- need to sort your inventory to make space.
Crafting only happens twice and it's an actual process instead of inserting two UI icons into another icon to create new icon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

Yuffie is actually the hottest one.

:ssh:
she's 16 years old

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
which outed mod rereg is that poster

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:ssh:
she's 16 years old

He meant to say Edea

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

He meant to say Edea

that's right.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
wanting to play final fantasy 7 might have been the happiest time of my life. actually, playing it wasn't that great. nor was anything that came after it; standing in line, eating a sandwich and writing this post

:smith:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

Out of all my lovely posts, imagine getting worked up over “slurs aren’t cool”, lol

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
MOBA is a terrible genre name that can be applied to literally any competitive online multiplayer game.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

FWIW my flatmate doesn't think they're cool either and gets pretty embarrassed when he apes out over Rocket League. He just happens to be a combination of hyper competitive and also not very good at the game, leaving him in perpetual gold rank with everyone else who can't stop ball chasing.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

MOBA is a terrible genre name that can be applied to literally any competitive online multiplayer game.

Dotalike remains the best descriptor of this dead gay genre

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I would love another game similar to rocket league in terms of uptime, round time, and engagement. Nothing else quite hits that spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I would love another game similar to rocket league in terms of uptime, round time, and engagement. Nothing else quite hits that spot.

Fighting games are good