Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
On rewatch pretty much every forceful delivery by Théoden is goosebumps city. Him being won over by Aragorn to go out in a blaze of glory is :chefkiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Carpator Diei posted:

Come to think of it, in a world where not only men exist but also Elves and Dwarves and Hobbits and Orcs and Ents et cetera, that prophecy kind of doesn't mean all that much.

Hey, he's the Witch-King of Angmar, not the Rules-Lawyer of Angmar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Plucky Brit posted:

Gothmog’s ‘oh poo poo’ moment during the Rohirrim charge is one of the best moments in the entire trilogy.

The shift from smug,"I can school all these fools in combat" to,"Oh Jesus Christ this isn't working! :stonk:" was incredible.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8UAUAuKNcU

How can I still feel nothing watching these trailers? Can they at least try to explain the story and why I should care about anything being shown onscreen?
Why are people fighting? I don't know. Aside from the beginning setting up "oh my brother died and I'll take up his sword," all I hear are just generic placeholder inspirational phrases.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 23, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shibawanko posted:

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/The_Stranger
this guy is supposed to be sauron? doesn't really look like what you'd expect

I'm still not convinced they're not gonna pull something and have that be young Gandalf. And yes, I know this would contradict previous lore about how the wizards came to Middle Earth, blah blah blah. I just don't think they'll care about that as much as they'll care about a "big moment".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i think a blue wizard is far more likely than either sauron or gandalf.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MLSM posted:

Man I love Treebeard

Treebeard: We have decided...................... we have decided that you........................ are not orcs.
Other Ents nod enthusiastically, delighted with their accomplishment.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

How can I still feel nothing watching these trailers? Can they at least try to explain the story and why I should care about anything being shown onscreen?
Why are people fighting? I don't know. Aside from the beginning setting up "oh my brother died and I'll take up his sword," all I hear are just generic placeholder inspirational phrases.

Man I love lord of the rings and I’m kind of in the same boat. I go into every show/movie optimistic and willing to give everything a chance but aside from fantasy creatures in this trailer everything looked like it was just some Roman show.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That trailer does nothing for me. Maybe it’s a victim of modern marketing strategy and how every trailer for everything follows the same beats but it doesn’t make me feel optimistic.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It reinforces (to me at least) how good looking everything is but yeah, not really getting much of a reason to care about these people and places.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
How powerful is Galadriel supposed to be at the time this series takes place? Based on the trailers, she can climb mountains and swing her sword, but there's not the kind of mythical aura she had in the movies.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I'm glad to see that someone has finally made a series with 100% portentous dialog, thank you Bezos!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

BoldFace posted:

How powerful is Galadriel supposed to be at the time this series takes place? Based on the trailers, she can climb mountains and swing her sword, but there's not the kind of mythical aura she had in the movies.

"power" is alwasy dodgy in Tolkien as its not like star wars with midichlorians. However for discussion we can delinate powerful people from ones with less capability.

The biggest thing compared to later is that she does not have the ring she uses to create Lothlorien yet. That is what puts her far above most others by the events of LOTR.

Absent that, compared to the other characters, she is by far one of the oldest and most powerful elves in Middle Earth at the time, being aroudn 8,000 as of the show. There are others too since not everyone died during the war of wrath and the destruction of Beleriand, but she is rather high up in the ranks of elvish nobility. She is the daughter of the High King of the Noldor, Finarfin and was born in Valinor under the light of the two trees. In Tolkien's stories, Elves born in Valinor during that time are noticiably differnt than other Elves, being taller, stronger, and more in tune with magic. I think she is like 6'5 or something in the books. She's also from the house of the High King, and only 2 generatiosn removed from one of the Elves that first awoke, which also counts for "power" in Tolkien cause he definitely loved noble houses.

So as of the start of the show, she's bascially legolas on steroids, and then at some point gets an immensely powerful magic ring that contribues to her later aura.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

That trailer looked and sounded bland as gently caress!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i dont give a poo poo about trailers the show will be good or bad regardless of them

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

it looks and feels like bloodless "prestige" tv made by jj abrams proxies

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"power" is alwasy dodgy in Tolkien as its not like star wars with midichlorians. However for discussion we can delinate powerful people from ones with less capability.

The biggest thing compared to later is that she does not have the ring she uses to create Lothlorien yet. That is what puts her far above most others by the events of LOTR.

Absent that, compared to the other characters, she is by far one of the oldest and most powerful elves in Middle Earth at the time, being aroudn 8,000 as of the show. There are others too since not everyone died during the war of wrath and the destruction of Beleriand, but she is rather high up in the ranks of elvish nobility. She is the daughter of the High King of the Noldor, Finarfin and was born in Valinor under the light of the two trees. In Tolkien's stories, Elves born in Valinor during that time are noticiably differnt than other Elves, being taller, stronger, and more in tune with magic. I think she is like 6'5 or something in the books. She's also from the house of the High King, and only 2 generatiosn removed from one of the Elves that first awoke, which also counts for "power" in Tolkien cause he definitely loved noble houses.

So as of the start of the show, she's bascially legolas on steroids, and then at some point gets an immensely powerful magic ring that contribues to her later aura.

GilGalad and especially Elrond have absolutely zero standing or authority to speak down to Galadriel or basically second guess her at all which is something that has me especially concerned over how these characters are all going to be portrayed. They actually do the character of Galadriel a disservice by diminishing her to some spunky elf who won’t play by the rules. And her Ring of Power is not why she’s more “powerful.” It merely enhances her already more significant abilities.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 23, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GilGalad and especially Elrond have absolutely zero standing or authority to speak down to Galadriel or basically second guess her at all which is something that has me especially concerned over how these characters are all going to be portrayed. They actually do the character of Galadriel a disservice by diminishing her to some spunky elf who won’t play by the rules. And her Ring of Power is not why she’s more “powerful.” It merely enhances her already more significant abilities.

That does not mean that can't do it anyway, Elves, especially Noldor, are not exactly well known for their deep respect of tradition and authority.

How is something that enhances your extant abilities not making you more powerful?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That does not mean that can't do it anyway, Elves, especially Noldor, are not exactly well known for their deep respect of tradition and authority.

How is something that enhances your extant abilities not making you more powerful?

I’m merely pointing out that she was above those two kids (and Elrond is like 50 years old when the second age starts) long before the Rings were a thing. The time compression poo poo is gonna be a disaster imo. It was my biggest worry from the start.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

JazzFlight posted:

No slim shady sauron

1/10

pyrotek posted:

I'm glad to see that someone has finally made a series with 100% portentous dialog, thank you Bezos!

For real its nothing but pretentious platitudes about courage or whatever. None of these trailers have given a coherent hint of the plot lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I want more of the Galadriel who can wander serenely around meadows and forests beaming a warm sincere smile at you as she chats sweetly about things.... while simultaneously having mental conversations with half a dozen people at once warning them that she can see deep into their souls and knows their truest fears and darkest secrets, and shits going to get real if they're not careful.

Edit: this one, basically!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 23, 2022

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m merely pointing out that she was above those two kids (and Elrond is like 50 years old when the second age starts) long before the Rings were a thing. The time compression poo poo is gonna be a disaster imo. It was my biggest worry from the start.

Elrond has a Maia ancestor though if I'm not mistaken

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Elrond has a Maia ancestor though if I'm not mistaken

Melian, his great grandmother, mother of Luthien who married Beren. She and Beren were Aragorn and Arwen 1.0.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Luthien was infinite more badass than Arwen though. Not many people in Middle Earth can say that they slapped Sauron, but Luthien is one of them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also the star of the one and only singular horny scene in all of Tolkien. Which itself is worded so clinically and off-puttingly that it leaves no uncertainty as to how he felt about the whole idea

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Data Graham posted:

Also the star of the one and only singular horny scene in all of Tolkien. Which itself is worded so clinically and off-puttingly that it leaves no uncertainty as to how he felt about the whole idea

He and his wife's graves are carved as Beren and Luthien. Tolkien was very Catholic.

PST fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 24, 2022

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

thrawn527 posted:

I'm still not convinced they're not gonna pull something and have that be young Gandalf. And yes, I know this would contradict previous lore about how the wizards came to Middle Earth, blah blah blah. I just don't think they'll care about that as much as they'll care about a "big moment".

tom bombadil

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s incredible how many people here are proactively ready to hate this show, having not seen a single episode.

I guess I should be accustomed to it based on the Dragon House thread, and SA history in general, but I never can quite get used to it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MrMojok posted:

It’s incredible how many people here are proactively ready to hate this show, having not seen a single episode.

I guess I should be accustomed to it based on the Dragon House thread, and SA history in general, but I never can quite get used to it.
Hey, I'm up for the show, I'll have an open mind for it.
I'm just saying the trailers are extremely bland and unappealing. It's kinda their job to get the viewer excited.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I like the posts ripping the newest trailer for only including epic one-liners and not fully-fleshed dialogue or not “making me care” about the characters as if trailers are supposed to be full-fledged episodes, then dooming the show to failure over it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think we should just give it a chance. If it sucks, it sucks. But we don’t know what it even is, yet.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt

MrMojok posted:

I think we should just give it a chance. If it sucks, it sucks. But we don’t know what it even is, yet.

People that have seen the first two episodes seem to be generally pretty positive about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a really unique challenge for a TV show to attempt. The material is not a "story" so much as a historical chronicle. Nerds have spent decades obsessing over the historical chronicle aspects of it, because it's nerdy by nature, but that's not how TV works. If they want to make a TV show out of it, they'll have to do something that's inherently different from what nerds like about it. They'll have to turn it into a "story".

It's natural that we nerds are unsure about what the show thinks it's doing, or whether the story will be engaging or Tolkien-like or will find an audience or anything. It's all brand-new territory. But the one thing we know they can't do is "just film the book" because in this case, way more than with LotR or even the Silmarillion, there's hardly any book to film. Literally all they have that ties it to what we are familiar with is epic establishing shots and greatest-hits characters in cool costumes. It's like trying to write a text in Quenya when all you have is lots of nouns, a few adjectives, and almost zero verbs.

We've all been burned by Foundation, but that was kind of a different problem to solve. That show just made some dumb narrative decisions that didn't pan out. It was a similarly "unfilmable" story, but there was a lot more narrative and character to base things on.

I'd also put it on a spectrum with Brokeback Mountain, a 3-hour movie based on a 20-page short story. But in that case it was all character and a really heart-wrenching narrative, so there was plenty for a filmmaker to sink his teeth into and expand it out.

This is something new again.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Judgy Fucker posted:

I like the posts ripping the newest trailer for only including epic one-liners and not fully-fleshed dialogue or not “making me care” about the characters as if trailers are supposed to be full-fledged episodes, then dooming the show to failure over it.

You only have to keep lying to yourself like this for another week. :)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

drunkill posted:

tom bombadil

This was dumb but still made me lol

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MLSM posted:

You only have to keep lying to yourself like this for another week. :)

Lying about what, exactly?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sticksy posted:

This was dumb but still made me lol

At the risk of arguing with a meme, this is one of the most frustrating and yet long running misconceptions in the Tolkien fandom. There is really nothing more for Bombadil to elaborate on. He isn’t some secret identity, he isn’t anything he doesn’t just outright say. “Who is Tom Bombadil?” is a silly question because the answer is literally just “He’s Tom Bombadil.” “Well what is Tom Bombadil?” He just is. Which is either entirely appropriate for the legendarium or underwhelming depending on how wild you get with theorycrafting.

Frankly the identity of Goldberry is more mysterious because it feels like Bombadil just kidnapped her one day and made her his wife like some hosed up religious cultist.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 24, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

they're two manifestations of the same obviously demonic entity

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I thought he was eru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Collateral posted:

I thought he was eru.

Regrettably Tolkien shot that down point blank in a letter.