Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

All interfaces need to be like the one in Lt. Tom Paris's 'Alice' ship where you 'bond' with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Walrusmaster posted:

For an anecdotal data point, I bought a 2021 bolt in April of 2021 for $19k, but that included a $2k CA rebate and ~$3500 trade-in. You might be in the ballpark?

It's an LT with all the safety features though, not a premier.

Most importantly though, it's blue:

https://imgur.com/a/OU1Zi5b

edit: do imgur embeds not work anymore?

I'm ashamed that I missed this pic of a blue bolt.

NICE CAR!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's a Blolt

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's a Blolt

TEAM BLOLT

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cruft posted:

LMFAO if you think Starfleet hadn't deployed rear end-detection logic by stardate 42353.

Sorry, they didn’t pony up the 15,000 in gold pressed latinum bars for that feature. Should’ve bought it when it was at 8k bars.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

My parents sent me this picture from the road trip they've been on in their EV.

While charging their 2021 EV6 they met someone in the parking lot with their 1921 Model T, and thought it was a neat enough coincidence to get a photo of 2 cars separated by exactly 100 years of development together.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

cruft posted:

LMFAO if you think Starfleet hadn't deployed rear end-detection logic by stardate 42353.

Man, they didn't even figure out how to not run high voltage plasma through computer panels by then. Even our dumbass auto manufacturers have user interface on the 12V accessory system instead of the 800 volt traction system.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Stultus Maximus posted:

Man, they didn't even figure out how to not run high voltage plasma through computer panels by then. Even our dumbass auto manufacturers have user interface on the 12V accessory system instead of the 800 volt traction system.

So if I sit on a Tesla screen, it won’t blow up?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It will, but not for that reason

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Eyes Only posted:

This is an important thing to keep in mind for anyone comparing a single country in western Europe to the entire United States, for any reason. Significant portions of the US are akin to developing countries in some ways.

*chuckles in SR826.*

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

While charging their 2021 EV6 they met someone in the parking lot with their 1921 Model T, and thought it was a neat enough coincidence to get a photo of 2 cars separated by exactly 100 years of development together.

This owns.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Normal Barbarian posted:

I will (most likely) be making too much for that, alas. Wow betide me.

Oh cool, do you miss any of the features you'd have gotten with the Premier, specifically the surround-view cameras?

Did it take any effort/stress to get that price?

Also, yes. Blue car supremacy. That's a pretty blue, too, though I've started coming around in the garish Oasis Blue, too.

I have a lot of experience fitting large vehicles into tiny spaces (used to fuel airplanes) so no, I don't miss the surround view. The bolt is very nimble and easy to park. I'm also probably not the best person to ask because I generally don't even use the rearview camera much, I just turn around and look out the back.

I emailed all the dealers in the area and gave them all the opportunity to beat the best price. It wasn't terribly difficult, but it was also early 2021 before they stopped making all the cars ever.

I saw both kinetic and Oasis blue in person. Oasis was ok, but I really preferred kinetic.

And yes to everyone I agree, it's definitely a blolt now :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SlowBloke posted:

Driving to meet my extended family outside the state requires me to pass near Aviano, so if i see the weird imports with non-standard plates, I need to give them about a car and change of space cause those troops drive like loving maniacs.

One troop did squish a kid on a bicycle recently while on a 5x BAC limit.

If there was a way to identify Joe (other than the Dodge Charger/Challenger) via number plate here in the states everyone here would avoid him too. These are 18-25 year old young men hopped up on testosterone and peer pressure, they’re obviously the worst possible drivers in the world.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If there was a way to identify Joe (other than the Dodge Charger/Challenger) via number plate here in the states everyone here would avoid him too. These are 18-25 year old young men hopped up on testosterone and peer pressure, they’re obviously the worst possible drivers in the world.

When male elephants become teenage assholes and start loving everything up, they get kicked out of the herd.

Just sayin'.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

as someone who knows very little about cars and even littler about ev outside of the numerous videos of teslas killing kids and blowing up, yet wants to get an ev to help the environment and save money on gas over continuing to drive their 2000 toyota avalon, where do i begin? is there a good primer post somewhere? do i just give details here and bandy about to help narrow down my choices? i’m pretty open to anything, so just let me know. i would start self-researching via google but i’m too stupid about cars or ev to even know where to start doing that, so forgive me.

any help is appreciated! thanks.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

as someone who knows very little about cars and even littler about ev outside of the numerous videos of teslas killing kids and blowing up, yet wants to get an ev to help the environment and save money on gas over continuing to drive their 2000 toyota avalon, where do i begin? is there a good primer post somewhere? do i just give details here and bandy about to help narrow down my choices? i’m pretty open to anything, so just let me know. i would start self-researching via google but i’m too stupid about cars or ev to even know where to start doing that, so forgive me.

Yup, tell us what your budget is, and any requirements. Like some people are like "hard pass on Tesla" and other people are like "hard pass on dealerships". :)

It'd also be handy to know what you'd like, but aren't married to.

And lastly, let us know whether you have a parking spot near an electrical system that you own. Like, if you rent, that's going to flavor our recommendations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

abelwingnut posted:

:justpost:

But seriously, EVs are just cars with different fuel. The most important questions are "What do I need from a vehicle?", "What do I want in a vehicle?", and "What's my budget for a vehicle?"

Most EVs right now are in the SUV/Crossover size category, but not all of them. So the first step is really defining what your requirements & limits are, then we can start with some guidance.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

abelwingnut posted:

Get a Tesla.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Make sure to pay $15k for full self driving. The car will earn you money by driving for Uber by itself while you sleep.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

VideoGameVet posted:

The Sprinter EV has less than 100 mile range. Road tests of the Transit EV say 150 miles is possible, It’s 2WD by the way.

I’m not doing this until 2024 at the earliest.

The range king is GM BrightDrop. 250 mile range and it’s big. Queen sized bed would fit crosswise with inches to spare.

Less than 100 is pretty terrible. 2wd is fine - the dirt bikes are for anything gnarly.

Queen sized crosswise is pretty great. As is 250 miles. But not highroof, right?

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, this is great. What'd the guy with the model t think about it? Seems happy enough to chat given the picture.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

abelwingnut posted:

It's simple. You post your requirements, then we totally ignore them and recommend what we personally own, and then bicker between ourselves about minor points nobody else cares about.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

It's simple. You post your requirements, then we totally ignore them and recommend what we personally own, and then bicker between ourselves about minor points nobody else cares about.

Just be sure whatever you buy is painted blue, op.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

:hmmyes:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
One thing you should find out pretty quickly is if / how the new tax incentives for next year will impact your decision. The rules on which vehicles get the $7500 tax rebate are about to change dramatically. That may impact both your decision on which make/model to look at, and the timing of your purchase.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the access to charging question is an important one. It basically kills my personal EV viability since I street park and rent.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

as someone who [...] wants to get an ev to help the environment and save money on gas over continuing to drive their 2000 toyota avalon, where do i begin?

If the environment is your primary motivator, keeping your current car and instead finding ways to drive less might be more beneficial. If you're going to get a new car regardless, then yeah, may as well swap to EV.

The usual inputs to this calculation are:
- Budget
- Do you own a house with a driveway or a garage?
- How many miles do you typically drive per day?
- What is your longest trip in a week? Month? (long monthly trips may impact your desired max range, but a yearly or twice yearly trip shouldn't factor in)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The rules on which vehicles get the $7500 tax rebate are about to change dramatically.
They already did, but will change a bit more on 1/1/2023. Short-term, the new rules have kind of screwed most buyers, dealers, and manufacturers.

Very few models are eligible for the credit right now. Virtually no Korean or Japanese cars other than Nissan. No Teslas, no GM's, few European cars.

For pure EV's (ie. not plug-in hybrids), the models currently eligible for the $7500 tax credit are:

- Ford Mustang Mach-E
- Ford F-150 Lightning
- Ford Transit Van
- Nissan Leaf
- Rivian R1S/T (only the low-end trims)

Everything else exceeds the price cap, isn't sufficiently manufactured in the US, or has met the old credit's manufacturer sales cap, which for some dumb reason doesn't disappear until the end of 2022.

Beginning in 2023, all Teslas and GM sub-brand cars will become eligible again. So if you're looking at a Model 3 or a Chevy Bolt or whatever, definitely wait until then to buy. It's an easy $7500 direct discount for most people.

It remains to be seen how lenient the rules will be for foreign manufacturers. Hyundai has complained that the new manufacturing rules violate the free trade agreement the US has with Korea, though they're accelerating their plans for a US-based battery factory just in case. I'm sure most foreign makers are scrambling as well, but it may be a while before the credit becomes available on many cars.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cruft posted:

Wrong. https://www.google.com/search?q=bol...h=1266&dpr=1.13

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I like the GV60 in that crazy green too

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

I like the GV60 in that crazy green too

I’m hoping other people hate it so I can buy it at a discount because I like it too. But honestly I think it’s going to be a few years before I replace my current vehicle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I’m hoping other people hate it so I can buy it at a discount because I like it too. But honestly I think it’s going to be a few years before I replace my current vehicle.

I would rock that with the navy interior with the green piping, it looks cool as hell

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm buying a 2022 Chevy Bolt today, but I haven't put the deposit down on it yet. Am I eligible for the new $7500 tax credit?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm buying a 2022 Chevy Bolt today, but I haven't put the deposit down on it yet. Am I eligible for the new $7500 tax credit?
No. GM cars hit the manufacturer sales cap last year and won't be eligible for the new tax credit until 1/1/2023.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Wayne Knight posted:

If the environment is your primary motivator, keeping your current car and instead finding ways to drive less might be more beneficial. If you're going to get a new car regardless, then yeah, may as well swap to EV.

Even if you are buying a new car, consider if the extra money you spend on an EV over an equivalent ICE vehicle (about £10k in the UK) could be better spent elsewhere. In my case my mileage is low enough that a £12k air source heat pump and home battery were a much better carbon saving than a new EV.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This isn't the air-source-heat-pump thread :getout:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Russian Bear posted:

That new purple that bmw has or some fashion of green.

Got a quote for $3200 to wrap it in this 3M vinyl

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

bird with big dick posted:

Got a quote for $3200 to wrap it in this 3M vinyl
I'm kind of clueless when it comes to this, but isn't that price in the same ballpark as getting a car professionally painted?

Is there a reason you'd do one over the other?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm kind of clueless when it comes to this, but isn't that price in the same ballpark as getting a car professionally painted?

Is there a reason you'd do one over the other?

One is reversible, the other isn't?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm not sure $3200 buys you much of a paintjob here either. Tbh I'd expect to pay a minimum of about twice that for a quality one based off some of the work I've had done recently but I could be off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird with big dick posted:

I'm not sure $3200 buys you much of a paintjob here either. Tbh I'd expect to pay a minimum of about twice that for a quality one based off some of the work I've had done recently but I could be off.

Allow me to introduce you to my friend Earl…