Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gonna swerve to the west and pound lake charles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not Lake Charles, 2/10

e:f;b

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gonna swerve to the west and pound lake charles

anyone else watch 5 days at memorial on appletv?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Koirhor posted:

anyone else watch 5 days at memorial on appletv?

There is approximately 0% chance it even begins to approach the racist, evil reality that actually went down based on what we know so why bother

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SirPablo posted:

Ah poo poo moved again.

ah, the natural migration territory of all hurricanes

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
GFS playing pin the hurricane on the gulf

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God Hates Louisiana

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Ah poo poo moved again.

I was going to ask where the murder New Orleans run was, GFS always spits one out. I see the trend is continuing.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SirPablo posted:

Ah poo poo moved again.

these rotifer memes are getting more and more abstract and im all for it

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

FlamingLiberal posted:

God Hates Louisiana

why don’t all the hate churches come out and yell these are punishments for homosexuality and liberals when they hit the southern states? Are these not storms from god and the wrath? so confusing.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

hypercane hits me? test of my faith from god. my faith is unshakeable. everything happens for a reason
hypercane hits you? praise god for punishing the deviants and homos

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

biceps crimes posted:

hypercane hits me? test of my faith from god. my faith is unshakeable. everything happens for a reason
hypercane hits you? praise god for punishing the deviants and homos

Religion is the ultimate malleable cudgel which can be used to soothe yourself and bludgeon your opponents at all times and without feeling the faintest whiff of hypocrisy.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
How hot does it need to be for common materials that make up, say, a city, to catch fire or combust? 125F good enough?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Religion is the ultimate malleable cudgel which can be used to soothe yourself and bludgeon your opponents at all times and without feeling the faintest whiff of hypocrisy.

Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill-needs a savior such as you!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

How hot does it need to be for common materials that make up, say, a city, to catch fire or combust? 125F good enough?

lol no wood for instance is around 482ºF

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yeah, but asphalt can melt at 120 degrees, and we all know that roads are the lifeblood of cities. If the roads are melted, ain't nobody can drive to get food or repair the powerlines and so forth lol

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shifty Nipples posted:

Obviously I don't mean wood! How long do I need to leave , say, a dry pile of leaves in the sun before it goes up in smoke? Is it still a very high temperature? Coal, compost, sawdust, etc, whats the danger zone of steady high heat with respect to combustion?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you'll be out of food well before then

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Picturing my polyester blend shirt melting into my skin

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

iirc compost piles can catch fire even during normal summer heat for whatever reason so don't park the pile near anything flammable

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Heat domes can't melt wooden beams

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Obviously I don't mean wood! How long do I need to leave , say, a dry pile of leaves in the sun before it goes up in smoke? Is it still a very high temperature? Coal, compost, sawdust, etc, whats the danger zone of steady high heat with respect to combustion?

uh wood leaves sawdust and compost are all made up of largely the same stuff

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

blatman posted:

iirc compost piles can catch fire even during normal summer heat for whatever reason so don't park the pile near anything flammable

the process of composting produces heat

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shifty Nipples posted:

uh wood leaves sawdust and compost are all made up of largely the same stuff

Start a fire with leaves, sawdust, and compost only then bozo! I don't drat think so

Edit: wood is not generally (completely) dry, is the thing. It also takes more energy to heat up with something with a large surface area

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Start a fire with leaves, sawdust, and compost only then bozo! I don't drat think so

can i also use a magnifying glass cause if so that would be no problem, on a sunny day at least

e:

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Edit: wood is not generally (completely) dry, is the thing. It also takes more energy to heat up with something with a large surface area

lol what no a large surface area makes it easier to burn, you could easily set some sawdust on fire with a bic lighter but trying that with a log would take considerably longer

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Aug 24, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Wouldn't last the night. The camping noob

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

you can set steel wool on fire cause of the large surface area, you don't physics very well

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qx2sjyvLVv1yefkvd.mp4

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Shifty Nipples posted:

can i also use a magnifying glass cause if so that would be no problem, on a sunny day at least

e:

lol what no a large surface area makes it easier to burn, you could easily set some sawdust on fire with a bic lighter but trying that with a log would take considerably longer

the real reason gandalf wanted the orb kept in a bag was so the hobbits didn't burn their campsites down when the sun hit it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Shifty Nipples posted:

the process of composting produces heat

yeah I have a compost pile and in the winter it's not unusual to catch a stray cat napping on top of it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hell, I bet they add to it

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

blatman posted:

wet hay can spontaneously combust for roughly the same reason. microbes generating heat that gets trapped inside a big flammable insulator.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shifty Nipples posted:

you can set steel wool on fire cause of the large surface area, you don't physics very well

No? You can set steel wool on fire because it has a reactant that allows it to do that. I meant the surface area of a log of wood is greater than a twig. You're talking about the surface area of a reactant rather than the surface area of the object

You can't heat up the ocean faster than you can a puddle. Which has a greater surface area?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol at the truck that just backs up forever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

:sickos:Hypercanes would have wind speeds of over 800 kilometres per hour (500 mph), potentially gusting to 970 km/h (600 mph), and would also have a central pressure of less than 700 hectopascals (20.67 inHg), giving them an enormous lifespan of at least several weeks. This extreme low pressure could also support massive storm systems roughly the size of North America

The waters after a hypercane could remain hot enough for weeks, allowing more hypercanes to form. A hypercane's clouds would reach 30 to 40 km (20 to 25 mi) into the stratosphere. Such an intense storm would also damage the Earth's ozone layer, potentially having devastating consequences for life on Earth. Water molecules in the stratosphere would react with ozone to accelerate decay into O2 and reduce absorption of ultraviolet light.

Well at least I won't have to go to work.

*somehow has to go to work during the weeks-long hypercanes*

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

SirPablo posted:

Ah poo poo moved again.

post one of it destroying tampa, the hurricane proof city

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I thought it was jacksonville that continues to spite god by existing

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Edit: beaten

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

No? You can set steel wool on fire because it has a reactant that allows it to do that. I meant the surface area of a log of wood is greater than a twig. You're talking about the surface area of a reactant rather than the surface area of the object

You can't heat up the ocean faster than you can a puddle. Which has a greater surface area?

surface area relative to mass

separate the ocean into a bunch of puddles and those puddles will warm more quickly than the ocean as a single mass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
*dj khaled voice* another one
https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1562500751699898368