Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Star Man posted:

So how royally pissed off is the debt forgiveness going to make people that paid their poo poo off before the pandemic? That's where the real outrage is going to come from.

If they could predict the pandemic a year early, then they should be rich from making some stock investments and bulk purchases of toilet paper and it won't matter.

This is also their punishment because they should have also taken a trip to China and poisoned a bunch of bats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Keyser_Soze posted:

get ready for millions of "opinion" articles attacking the school loan debt relief.

this will be followed by every chud screaming about it in every grocery store line. :ohwell:

It's kind of brilliant that debt forgiveness seems to be camouflaging the new loan type that basically makes college free for anyone who makes less than $33k and gives you a 90-95% discount if you make between $33k and $50k for the 10 to 20 years after graduation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

IT BURNS posted:

In non-student loan news, it seems that MTG was swatted at her home in Georgia:

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1562422730481598464

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/marjorie-taylor-greene-swatted

The suspect (according to some articles) was a "trans activist" and the investigation is ongoing.

Well, no. The person who did the swatting called the police again a little while later to explain that they were a trans activist trying to get MTG killed for political reasons, and inform them of their internet forum memberships.

From the police report:

quote:

After we cleared the call and went back in service,​ Rome-Floyd ​911 received a call from the suspect,​ claiming responsibility for the incident and explaining his/her motives. ​It was a computer generated voice. ​They explained that they were upset about Ms. Greene's stance on "trans-gender youth's rights",​ and stated that they were trying to "SWAT" her. ​ ​ The suspect claims that he is connected to the website "kiwifarm.net" which is a site that supports cyberstalking. ​The suspect stated that their user name is "AltisticRight". ​I have attached a screen shot that was obtained of the alleged caller's profile from the site.

I think that generally people jump too quickly to accusing things of being false flags, but this is very obviously not on the up-and-up. Just calling up the cops to affirmatively admit to intentionally criming, and linking them to my internet forum profile, a thing that totally happens in real life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Star Man posted:

So how royally pissed off is the debt forgiveness going to make people that paid their poo poo off before the pandemic? That's where the real outrage is going to come from.

I'm fine with it :shrug:

Why would I be upset if people after me have it better, isn't that the point of making things better

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Randalor posted:

What are the odds that she tried to swat someone else and gave her own address by accident?

Less than the chances that a right winger called it in while babbling something about her killing trans teens or something. She's stupid, but her career is in a position where she has more to lose than most people do. She's not likely to swat anyone personally when she has so much at stake.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the student loan stuff looks pretty drat good

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why would I be upset if people after me have it better, isn't that the point of making things better

I agree. I could have gotten in on the Hathaway Program in Wyoming if I had graduated in 2006 instead of 2005 and gotten cheap or free college. It doesn't affect me, but I'm still glad that program exists.

In a better world, there would be restitution for people that did pay their poo poo off, but that would also be a world where the entirety of student loan debt would be forgiven, the cost of education would be reformed, and so on. I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth right now.

I'm just worried that it's going to piss off enough people for whatever their reasons are that it might affect an election.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
From a legislative standpoint has Biden been the most successful president since like GWB? Obama got ACA, Trump got Jobs Jobs Jobs, but between the last covid specific legislation, CHIPS, and all the climate stuff in IRA it just seems like he’s having more success than say Trump did with his two years of unified control.

All of that in addition to student loan forgiveness (and outrage over Dobbs) makes me evident if we’ll see a sortof reverse 2020 where the GOP makes gains but way underperforms expectations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Fifteen of Many posted:

From a legislative standpoint has Biden been the most successful president since like GWB? Obama got ACA, Trump got Jobs Jobs Jobs, but between the last covid specific legislation, CHIPS, and all the climate stuff in IRA it just seems like he’s having more success than say Trump did with his two years of unified control.

All of that in addition to student loan forgiveness (and outrage over Dobbs) makes me evident if we’ll see a sortof reverse 2020 where the GOP makes gains but way underperforms expectations.

I don't think the Republicans will make meaningful gains, not after everything of the last couple months or so.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1562520081342406658

It looks like the White House has even workshopped some answers to the attacks on this. Kinda mumbled out the answer, sure, but that's Joe for you. It's certainly more than I ever seriously expected from him!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It doesn't look like WA actually required it, though.

So, the NYT is correct that California is currently the only government to mandate 0 emission vehicles sales.

Sorry about that, all the other sources I looked at (mostly car/automotive news) were really specific about a ban being put into place. I just grabbed the Seattle Times link for something local. I did also go through the legislation itself and yeah, it's a goal, nothing more.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Same here. In fact, if I were the last person on earth to make payments for student loans, I would be fine with that too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think what my mind keeps coming back to is all those headlines about how Larry Summers (and presumably others like him) has had a direct line on this stuff for awhile now. It feels like a toss-up between that just being speculation or some media exec putting it on their dream board, or the "what the next 6 months looks like" info gathering was so dire that Summers was sidelined yet again or, god help us, actually thought this sort of stuff was necessary to meet the moment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Main Paineframe posted:

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1562520081342406658

It looks like the White House has even workshopped some answers to the attacks on this. Kinda mumbled out the answer, sure, but that's Joe for you. It's certainly more than I ever seriously expected from him!
I'm glad the media is going after him on this, and not Congress who keeps shoveling billions to defense contractors in the NDAA every year

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I think what my mind keeps coming back to is all those headlines about how Larry Summers (and presumably others like him) has had a direct line on this stuff for awhile now. It feels like a toss-up between that just being speculation or some media exec putting it on their dream board, or the "what the next 6 months looks like" info gathering was so dire that Summers was sidelined yet again or, god help us, actually thought this sort of stuff was necessary to meet the moment.

Larry has been silent today, but in the past couple days he's been tweeting all about how student debt relief is bad, the debt pause is worth, and Biden should do as little of both as possible. At the very least, it seems he's not the one writing policy here.

https://twitter.com/LHSummers/status/1561701542591356931
https://twitter.com/LHSummers/status/1561701545615441921

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm glad the media is going after him on this, and not Congress who keeps shoveling billions to defense contractors in the NDAA every year

Best I can figure many people in positions of power think it's okay to spend money to hurt people in other countries, but not okay to spend money to help people in this country.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

"Among others" doing a whole lot of work there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Larry has been silent today, but in the past couple days he's been tweeting all about how student debt relief is bad, the debt pause is worth, and Biden should do as little of both as possible. At the very least, it seems he's not the one writing policy here.

https://twitter.com/LHSummers/status/1561701542591356931
https://twitter.com/LHSummers/status/1561701545615441921

At last, federal recognition that my personal life strategy of seeing what the dumbest most wrong people alive think should be done and then doing the opposite is in fact sound strategy. Alas, most of the time this person is me.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Baronash posted:

"Among others" doing a whole lot of work there.

Oh no, we might reduce medical school debt and facilitate new physicians following their passions as healthcare providers instead of pushing them to seek out positions where they make the most money to deal with their intense debt load?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Star Man posted:

I'm glad I did it. I got 2 years of debt free living by paying it off. I'm glad it will help some other people feel that same relief.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

You know, as established earlier in this thread, the US budget is not zero sum, right? That’s a real crab bucket mentality you have there . . .

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Oh no, we might reduce medical school debt and facilitate new physicians following their passions as healthcare providers instead of pushing them to seek out positions where they make the most money to deal with their intense debt load?

IDK a lot of doctors are in it for the money/prestige. Also, the medical school debt load is a problem doctors have created for themselves. The debt load is also not that bad, given that admission to an American medical school basically guarantees you a very well paying job for life.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thread up and stickied for questions and other updates about student loan relief:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010697

Feel free to keep talking about it and asking questions in here too since it is still new and developing. In a few days, try to keep questions about eligibility and stuff to that thread.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 24, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Holy poo poo. I’ll have to let my parents know they borrow for my sister.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

I think that generally people jump too quickly to accusing things of being false flags, but this is very obviously not on the up-and-up. Just calling up the cops to affirmatively admit to intentionally criming, and linking them to my internet forum profile, a thing that totally happens in real life.

Update:

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1562558295134838785

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hopefully that backfires on her and the fascists get mad at other fascists.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Star Man posted:

My wife completed PSLF between 2011-2021. She did all the work, got all her papers in order, employer signed off, loans correctly consolidated, and worked very diligently dotting her i’s and crossing her t’s the whole 10 years. We almost couldn’t believe it last September when we finally got the all-clear letter from the Dept of Ed wiping away 6-figures of debt she accrued earning her Master’s. She did things the hard way, before any of Biden’s PSLF changes made the process easier. We’ve been taking a real hit on married tax benefits (filing married separate) while we tried to get her monthly income driven payment as low as possible, fingers crossed we were doing everything right even while reading that 99% of PSLF applicants were getting rejected for one red tape reason or another.

So that’s my perspective when I say for the both of us: wipe away all federal student debt. Do it now, all of it, for everyone, and make it as easy and automatic as possible.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's been a lot of calls for Cloudflare to drop Kiwi after the swatting of a trans twitch streamer - gotta say it'd be darkly hilarious if this was the push that helped take it down.

Doubly so if someone did it with the intent to draw more heat on Kiwi.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Oxyclean posted:

Doubly so if someone did it with the intent to draw more heat on Kiwi.

If (big if) someone got mad about them swatting a streamer and did an op to swat MTG and blame it on KF, that's a tremendous troll.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

get ready for millions of "opinion" articles attacking the school loan debt relief.

this will be followed by every chud screaming about it in every grocery store line. :ohwell:

many centrists and liberals agree with this line of thinking

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

An interesting point; Manchin's twitter is silent on the student loan forgiveness, and conservative media is trying to hit him over it. Manchin has previously and publicly promoted "simplifying" student loan activity and was involved in legislation to require further disclosures/transparency on the terms of student loans.

In the fanfic in my head, one summer evening Joe is working very late after an exhausting day with Manchin. He's 2 beers in, finally realizing that the coal baron is going to force a lot of cutbacks in his signature bill, when he suddenly looks over at the guy in charge of the student loan project. "Hey, tell me what you've been working on, where are we with this?"

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Star Man posted:

That was always the trade off but the bet is that most people who get pissed were voting Republican anyway.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do I want to know what the gently caress kiwifarm is?

Ok what the gently caress is kiwifarm

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

cr0y posted:

Knowing what kiwifarms is will not improve your life.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

cr0y posted:

It's where kiwis lay their brown green-yolked eggs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Star Man posted:

From talking to some coworkers today, apparently very pissed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

cat botherer posted:

Knowing what kiwifarms is will not improve your life.

Cannot stress this enough

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cr0y posted:

the oddly specific hell for the worst permabanned ex-goons, from which they occasionally escape to blight the waking world

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cr0y posted:

Think helldump or a a website full of people that stalk ChrisChan

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Where all the Helldump people went when that forum was killed off

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IT BURNS posted:

In non-student loan news, it seems that MTG was swatted at her home in Georgia:

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1562422730481598464

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/marjorie-taylor-greene-swatted

The suspect (according to some articles) was a "trans activist" and the investigation is ongoing.

Really want to know how this went down. Don't congress people have Secret Service details? I'd imagine a bunch of SWAT vans showing up outside and a couple of secret service agents show up flashing badges and the amped-up SWAT team members suddenly deflating and packing up their gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

haveblue posted:

Where all the Helldump people went when that forum was killed off

I don't know about the helldump part but it's a den of bigotry that harasses, doxxes, swats and threatens the lives of people who have committed the crime of "being transgender" or "woman"