Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

"How would you like to be contacted regarding this support case - phone call or email?"
"Email please"
"Sure thing!"

*rings phone repeatedly, leaves a voicemail saying they will call back*

Dealing with M365 support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yup. I assume it's some metrics thing. Just email me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I knew who you were talking about instantly, too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

I knew who you were talking about instantly, too.

When you input the hours which you are available and they call you in the middle of the night... it leads to violence within me.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

m365 basically doesn't have support, for certain products at least.

I tried setting up Event-Based Retention in Sharepoint and could not, for the life of me, get the triggered events to actually find the documents with the matching Asset ID. When I opened the ticket I supplied all the steps I followed (documentation and screenshots).

After a back and forth and an escalation, they finally got back to me with a fix: Apply a static retention policy to the site. They did not even know what event-based retention was.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fart Amplifier posted:

m365 basically doesn't have support, for certain products at least.

I tried setting up Event-Based Retention in Sharepoint and could not, for the life of me, get the triggered events to actually find the documents with the matching Asset ID. When I opened the ticket I supplied all the steps I followed (documentation and screenshots).

After a back and forth and an escalation, they finally got back to me with a fix: Apply a static retention policy to the site. They did not even know what event-based retention was.

M365 support quality is mostly dependent on how specific you make the first case post, i've experienced poo poo staffers when i did exceedingly vague questions and skilled staffers when i provided a proper explanation of the issue.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Curious what regulations would go back that long.

But I'd find messing with a 486 pretty fun nowadays.

I haven't installed 86box... yet.

You can run into weird things. I had a client that was a contractor for NASA. When their bit was set up, Congress said "This space thing is new, document everything and keep it for us to review just in case." So that group has warehouse with video footage going back to the 60's because congress didn't set a limit. And attempts to get a limit set have run into issues. So they have 60 years of video in all kinda of formats.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This has nothing to do with work or IT, but I'm posting it here anyways because it's poo poo that is seriously pissing me off.

KillHour posted:

gently caress you, Synchrony. Don't loving put $600 on the 12 equal payments line that should only have $240 applied to it, but then only put 2 loving dollars on the deferred interest item that's expiring soon. You know exactly what you're doing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KillHour posted:

This has nothing to do with work or IT, but I'm posting it here anyways because it's poo poo that is seriously pissing me off.

This is why I usually laugh at globocorp offers to relocate to the US. Having to interact with your banks would send me to a mental asylum.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

This is why I usually laugh at globocorp offers to relocate to the US. Having to interact with your banks would send me to a mental asylum.

Paypal does this correctly - they have a single type of promotional balance (deferred interest), and payments are always made first on regular purchases, and then on promotional balances, oldest first.

Synchrony does this poo poo intentionally because they know people won't notice until its too late and they can't afford to avoid the interest charges, and has been called out on it repeatedly by consumer advocates. They also don't have a thing that tells you how much to pay to avoid interest; you have to calculate it by hand. I had to call them on the phone (which then tried everything it its power to get me to go away) to have a person pay off the deferred interest and regular balances so I can just make minimums on the even payment items moving forward.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A few weeks ago I talked to a vendor at a conference, gave them my email address to enter their raffle, I know how the game is played. I do not give them any phone numbers. A week later I get a message from my mom, some guy from <vendor> called her looking for me. Well now this week the same guy finally got around to emailing me. How the hell did he get my mom's phone number? Why in the hell did he think it was remotely acceptable to call that number?

For reference I'm 35, married, haven't lived at home since high school, and I don't even have the same last name as my mom, so just completely off-the-wall inappropriate, for so many reasons.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

A few weeks ago I talked to a vendor at a conference, gave them my email address to enter their raffle, I know how the game is played. I do not give them any phone numbers. A week later I get a message from my mom, some guy from <vendor> called her looking for me. Well now this week the same guy finally got around to emailing me. How the hell did he get my mom's phone number? Why in the hell did he think it was remotely acceptable to call that number?

For reference I'm 35, married, haven't lived at home since high school, and I don't even have the same last name as my mom, so just completely off-the-wall inappropriate, for so many reasons.

Was he trying to contact you regarding your car's expired warranty?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

KillHour posted:

I only have one account with them for a 0% promotional thing and went all through it to figure out how they were gonna gently caress me and sure enough, that interest accumulates and becomes due if the final payoff is late. I front loaded six months on the first payment but lemme go check the actual statement this could be fun

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

I only have one account with them for a 0% promotional thing and went all through it to figure out how they were gonna gently caress me and sure enough, that interest accumulates and becomes due if the final payoff is late. I front loaded six months on the first payment but lemme go check the actual statement this could be fun

That's expected - I knew that's how it works going in. The problem is they take liberties with how your payments are applied to different balances, calculated to gently caress you over as much as possible.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

KillHour posted:

loving Chase-

When they bought my mortgage from my friendly local bank, they cancelled all of my auto payment stuff. When I set it back up I created a monthly payment for $payment+$200 to pay down my principal faster.

Five months later I got a nastygram from them saying my mortgage had not been paid for five months and I now owed five payments plus interest plus penalties plus risking my credit rating.

It turns out that because my payment didn’t exactly match my mortgage payment amount they “didn’t know what to do with it” so they put the funds into a 0% interest “holding account” where my funds piled up even as my mortgage went unpaid.

When I finally unfucked this situation and had my funds transferred to my mortgage account, they still claimed I owed them late fees and penalties. It took six months to get the charges waived.

My credit rating took a hit though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agrikk posted:

loving Chase-

When they bought my mortgage from my friendly local bank, they cancelled all of my auto payment stuff. When I set it back up I created a monthly payment for $payment+$200 to pay down my principal faster.

Five months later I got a nastygram from them saying my mortgage had not been paid for five months and I now owed five payments plus interest plus penalties plus risking my credit rating.

It turns out that because my payment didn’t exactly match my mortgage payment amount they “didn’t know what to do with it” so they put the funds into a 0% interest “holding account” where my funds piled up even as my mortgage went unpaid.

When I finally unfucked this situation and had my funds transferred to my mortgage account, they still claimed I owed them late fees and penalties. It took six months to get the charges waived.

Jesus. At least M&T applies the extra to my principal automatically. How the hell are you supposed to even automate exact payments? It always drifts around by a few dollars and then changes every year when they inevitably jack up your escrow payments.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

loving Chase-

Chase once told me they had closed my account as requested, and instead left it open at a $0 balance and charged me monthly fees for being below the minimum balance without telling me, causing my balance to become negative. At no point did they attempt to contact me in any way. I found out years later. Don't do business with Chase.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

guppy posted:

Chase once told me they had closed my account as requested, and instead left it open at a $0 balance and charged me monthly fees for being below the minimum balance without telling me, causing my balance to become negative. At no point did they attempt to contact me in any way. I found out years later. Don't do business with Chase.

Wells Fargo did the same thing to me. I closed my account. But instead of actually closing my account they let me withdraw all my money, then hit me with a teller fee so my balance went negative, and then proceeded to hit me with $30 negative balance penalties for the next 3 months. The entire reason I was closing the account is because I was a poor college student and they were doing that thing where if you overdrew your balance they would rearrange the debits to maximize the overdraft fees. I literally could not afford to get hit with their obscene fees every month. Absolute scum.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Credit unions. Bank with credit unions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
American bank stories always make my head hurt, and I hate Irish banks plenty from all the stupid poo poo they pull :psyduck:

FISHMANPET posted:

Email back and ask. Pretend to be an EU citizen if you aren't actually one and cite Article 15 of the GDPR. Most of the time they just poo poo themselves and go silent, but once in a while you get some fun panic out of it.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Wells Fargo did the same thing to me. I closed my account. But instead of actually closing my account they let me withdraw all my money, then hit me with a teller fee so my balance went negative, and then proceeded to hit me with $30 negative balance penalties for the next 3 months. The entire reason I was closing the account is because I was a poor college student and they were doing that thing where if you overdrew your balance they would rearrange the debits to maximize the overdraft fees. I literally could not afford to get hit with their obscene fees every month. Absolute scum.

Wells Fargo did basically the same thing to me and tried to send me to collections more than a year after I had closed the account.

I only found out when it was resold to another collection agency and it oddly never appeared on my credit report before or after I heard about it.

Wells Fargo can :fuckoff:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pissing me off: team lead deciding he knows better than me what to do to fix a straightforward problem.

CX: "Hey, when I delete emails from this shared inbox, it goes to my personal deleted items."
Moi: "Oh, okay, let me know when you're available and we can fix that real quick."
TL: "Well, actually, let's do a bunch of other poo poo, starting with turning off automap so we can manually connect the account in Outlook."
Moi: "TL, we only need to do this one registry edit as MS documentation says."
TL: "Too late, I already turned off the automap."
Moi: "Fine, do whatever you think best."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

deedee megadoodoo posted:

An estate lawyer once told me the only banks they ever had trouble getting the deceased's money back from were Wells Fargo and BoA.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

guppy posted:

Don't do business with Chase.

I loving hate Chase and vowed to never do business with them after they hosed me on some credit card poo poo. So they went ahead and bought both of my mortgages, the fuckers.

I wish I could go down the street to our local bank and ask them to take over my loans for me.

KillHour posted:

Credit unions. Bank with credit unions.

This is the way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

*leaves helpdesk*
*enters security*
*gets tasked with reaching out to users as to why they are doing X*
*gets yelled at when 80% of the 30~ users I messaged instead calls the helpdesk to ask "what is this" instead of just replying to my skype/email*

Like, I get it....

but....

These are the people we expect more out of. :whoptc:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

*leaves helpdesk*
*enters security*
*gets tasked with reaching out to users as to why they are doing X*
*gets yelled at when 80% of the 30~ users I messaged instead calls the helpdesk to ask "what is this" instead of just replying to my skype/email*

Like, I get it....

but....

These are the people we expect more out of. :whoptc:

How are you still on skype?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sickening posted:

How are you still on skype?

Hahahahahaha

Defense contractor refuses to move to Teams

IT support is subcontracted and some of us use teams onsite while most of the rest of the company uses teams, but the defense contractor uses SfB

I have complained directly to the defense contractor folks, even on a firewall level (because skype wants a bajillion open ports vs teams) and have got nowhere

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bargearse posted:

Pharmaceutical industry. I'm not sure what specific regulations are involved but I get the feeling they don't want to run afoul of some obscure line in the GMP fine print.

It's not likely to have anything but old-rear end chromatography results on it anyway. I kind of didn't notice what thread I was in, getting paid to dick around with ancient relics is the opposite of poo poo that pisses me off.

It's basically archaeology at this point.

I keep an old 386sx 25Mhz laptop at my desk at work that still boots just to horrify interns and fresh grads.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yesterday:
Me: "hey I found an client side desync and I used it to pop an XSS, here's a screenshot of your site with the code visible in the console and the alert containing all relevant cookies as a PoC. This error is in your frontend code and here are the steps you need to take to diagnose and fix it".

Today
Client: "here's a link to a post on the nginx forums that says nginx doesn't have that vulnerability".

:smithicide:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Yesterday:
Me: "hey I found an client side desync and I used it to pop an XSS, here's a screenshot of your site with the code visible in the console and the alert containing all relevant cookies as a PoC. This error is in your frontend code and here are the steps you need to take to diagnose and fix it".

Today
Client: "here's a link to a post on the nginx forums that says nginx doesn't have that vulnerability".

:smithicide:

today I learned it's not pronounced "In jinks"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yes it is

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's basically archaeology at this point.

I keep an old 386sx 25Mhz laptop at my desk at work that still boots just to horrify interns and fresh grads.

Hopefully complete with a garbage passive matrix LCD screen

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

yes it is

I have heard it called "engine x".

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I like to pronounce it "Engenics", like it's a corporate science villain from a 90s spy thriller book.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I have heard it called "engine x".

also right

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I like to pronounce it "Engenics", like it's a corporate science villain from a 90s spy thriller book.

this is fine too

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

shame on an IGA posted:

today I learned it's not pronounced "In jinks"
I heard it pronounced before I ever saw it written, so I've always just assumed the guy who told me was right.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I heard it pronounced before I ever saw it written, so I've always just assumed the guy who told me was right.

My previous employer ran a bunch of nginx and a CMS called "ingeniux". I got them confused all the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had someone get a little huffy with me when I pronounced it "n geenks" and yet they call the database "my sequel" so basically IT people are impossible to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In my very first interview in IT, they were asking if I had any experience with "sequel" and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had only ever read the term SQL. It was quite embarrassing.