Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

99pct of germs posted:

loving hell Baersonling might be a little overtuned. 2 feral mammoths right off the bat is a bit much.

From pretty early on Wulfrik gets a feral mammoth and a RoR Mammoth Herd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm not usually an achievement whore but part of the reason I played EU4 so much was that the achievements gave you a goal to do as each state which helped give you something to do in a largely sandbox game.

Speaking of giving us direction in a sandbox. A lot of the old quests and missions seem to be missing right? I saw people complaining that Karl doesn't get the starter wizard quest, and in a lot of campaigns you just get dumped into the game without a clear quest to start you off. For example, I haven't seen any of the old "Beat the turn 1 enemy" missions or "gain control of a province" that used to fill your log.

Those little quests gave you some sense of direction if you need them but also they give you small payments that help you get going. So it sucks that they're gone, even if they sometimes cluttered your screen.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i know its been industry standard for decades now but i still will never understand why ppl care about achievements

its fun to have a lil checklist reminding you of what you've accomplished, and little nudges towards other cool things to try and do. like, you know, quests, or missions

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ummmm

I just confederated Repanse's faction. She wasn't recruited so I slapped my forehead..........

Then went to recruit a Lord, and she was there waiting for me. It seems you now can recruit LLs after confederation.

gently caress. YES.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Anyone who hasn't should try a lord in cathay, it looks amazing now and is way bigger than the Realm of Chaos map, which doesn't do it justice. I started a eshin campaign and it's just been been different fights around some beautiful terrain.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ardent Communist posted:

Anyone who hasn't should try a lord in cathay, it looks amazing now and is way bigger than the Realm of Chaos map, which doesn't do it justice. I started a eshin campaign and it's just been been different fights around some beautiful terrain.

Oh yeah, Cathay looks gorgeous. I wish there was someone better than loving Nakai in the south though, I want a dragon sibling there!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

canada jezus posted:

Ah man thats a little bit of a bummer, i would have enjoyed melee nurgle/tzeentch lords. I guess that’s why Viltich is in the game. If anyone has tzeench army comp tips i’d be glad to hear them.

Couldnt get into the daemons version with little front line.

Look on the bright side, heroes and lords getting the missing marks is fairly obvious DLC/FLC for the future.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Cathay can get Gotrek and Felix in IE, in case anyone was wondering.

I found a little scuff with having heroes investigating ruins in IE. In RoC, it says heroes can scout for threats, which is just Skaven, and that’s it. You either find them or get an “all clear” screen.
However, doing it IE still gives the old tooltip about the potential to find rewards, which have been removed. Trying it on a settlement I had just razed didn’t give any message at all. I’ve only tried it with Dwarfs, so maybe it’s an IE thing or a previous game race thing.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I hope they go back and change up some of the short/long victories, or rather change the standard occupy/sack/raze province bit

Norsca and Greenskins? Sure, you can hit thirty pretty quick, that's a short victory. Franz-Empire or Brettonia? That's a big defensive campaign based around confederation, you only start going out on campaigns once you're pretty well established and that's not exactly short. Unless you start losing real bad and need to do clean up, anyway.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh man thats cool that malekith has an item that gives spell resist in an AoE and has a WoM drain effect, i wonder... which other race is supposed to have something similar to that??

This knife ear favoritism and keeping the dawi down has to stop. Give all rune priests/lords WoM drain effects in battle and give rune magic a passive that increases battlefield wide spell resist.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As Thorgrim is it worth doubling down on his hammerer buffs or should I boost regular and cheaper dwarf warriors? I don't usually play dawi and I don't know the melee meta for game 3. So far I've mostly fought rats who don't require a tough front line to beat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i know its been industry standard for decades now but i still will never understand why ppl care about achievements

Can't explain it man, it's psychology.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

they're no more or less real than any other thing in video games. if you ever tried to beat a level in super mario you're basically a cheevo hunter.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Arghy posted:

Oh man thats cool that malekith has an item that gives spell resist in an AoE and has a WoM drain effect, i wonder... which other race is supposed to have something similar to that??

This knife ear favoritism and keeping the dawi down has to stop. Give all rune priests/lords WoM drain effects in battle and give rune magic a passive that increases battlefield wide spell resist.

Dawi are pretty good at staying down on their own lmao

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
anyone got a link to that random legendary lord picker. i went a couple pages back and can't find it

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

terrorist ambulance posted:

anyone got a link to that random legendary lord picker. i went a couple pages back and can't find it

https://wheelofnames.com/g55-3dj

be free of decision paralysis

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
thanks! it picked nakai, I think I'll actually try him given they've reworked vassals and he's in a new hood

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Useless information time. Earlier this summer when CA started detailing their plans for IE and 2.0 and people were maybe starting to be a bit happier with the base campaign I started taking a weekly snapshot of the game's review information on steamdb because I'm weird and like following data like this.

So this was on July 6th.

Fast forward to an hour before IE's release and the total number of negative reviews have actually dropped over the last ~45 days as people get hyped for IE. The recent reviews score on Steam was still like 74% despite that, so I guess people deleting/flipping their old reviews isn't counted in that score. Makes sense.

And this is now. I guess people are, so far at least, very happy with IE. And for good reason - it's excellent! Good to see their hard work rewarded, though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
dead game

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
So I'm new to Warhams 3:

Do my troops ignore towers unless I tell them to fire automatically? I want to zoom in and enjoy some fights but I feel like I'm playing whack a mole with these towers.

It wouldn't be so annoying if they didn't rebuild them so quickly.

I guess I can download a mod but this instant construction poo poo doesn't really feel like it jives with the rest of the relatively 'serious' game mechanics and seems like it belongs in Warcraft or something. I can squint my eyes and imagine 200 guys throwing a street barricade together at short notice out of random carts and market stalls and furniture. It is always jarring to me to see a sturdy 5 story tower just pop up in the middle of a war - sturdy enough to stand under its own weight, but not sturdy enough to resist a few hundred arrows plinking on the side of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they will shoot at them but they're low priority, certainly I always have to retask a unit to knock them out and it's annoying yeah.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The beginning of battle ones are the only towers that insta-construct right? I kind of just headcanon that as them getting defenses set up as your army approached, or maybe that’s just how the towers happened to be build in that town or something. Other than that it takes a bit of time.

I think your units can target them when on fire at will but I always ask them to do it before that. A few archers will knock it out in a couple volleys.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

So I'm new to Warhams 3:

Do my troops ignore towers unless I tell them to fire automatically? I want to zoom in and enjoy some fights but I feel like I'm playing whack a mole with these towers.

It wouldn't be so annoying if they didn't rebuild them so quickly.

I guess I can download a mod but this instant construction poo poo doesn't really feel like it jives with the rest of the relatively 'serious' game mechanics and seems like it belongs in Warcraft or something. I can squint my eyes and imagine 200 guys throwing a street barricade together at short notice out of random carts and market stalls and furniture. It is always jarring to me to see a sturdy 5 story tower just pop up in the middle of a war - sturdy enough to stand under its own weight, but not sturdy enough to resist a few hundred arrows plinking on the side of it.

If you're hanging around enough that they are rebuilding towers multiple times you probably need a different city fight strategy. If you concentrate all your forces on one entrance the AI will absolutely logjam you in place as long as it can. Spread out and hit multiple entrances to force the AI to spend resources in multiple locations. Use units with stalk (night goblins, ungors, ect) or light cav to sneak in, backcap, and generally cause havoc behind enemy lines. If you can stealth cap the settlements main point the enemy loses a ton of melee defense and leadership and it makes it easier to push past the logjams. If you can get dogs or light cavalry around the flank in the city capping poo poo the AI will just commit to sending like 4 spear infantry to yakety sax around the city square, taking pressure off the front.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes minor settlement fights are best accomplished by just mobbing the enemy with everything you have, as a rule. It is a very untidy way to fight but hanging around generally only makes it worse. It is also a nightmare if the enemy has an occupying army because you will likely take very high casualties as a result.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone know if there is a mod on the workshop that disables the battle realism camera? I don't like my view restricted on legendary difficulty and want to see the pretty scenery or not have the camera jerk around when flanking.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Being able to recruit allied units is just so cool. Even if they don't get benefits from skills, they can open up some totally new ways of playing races and it's just such an old-school tabletop vibe to be able to take some Orc arrer boyz or goblobbers in your Chaos stack. I think I might play Teclis next to go all-in on the allied units mechanic.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I can confirm that Teclis with Empire artillery is amazing. Lackluster artillery is the biggest weakness of High Elves, and Empire are ready to be your buddies

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I rolled Skrag.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dramicus posted:

Being able to recruit allied units is just so cool. Even if they don't get benefits from skills, they can open up some totally new ways of playing races and it's just such an old-school tabletop vibe to be able to take some Orc arrer boyz or goblobbers in your Chaos stack. I think I might play Teclis next to go all-in on the allied units mechanic.

Now imagine the truly degenerate stuff, like having warriors of chaos in a skaven warcrime army that wont break when you start dropping mortars and poison globes on top of them. Or Vampire counts allying with Vampire coast and now you have armies with grave guard, black knights, and cannons all together.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ummmm

I just confederated Repanse's faction. She wasn't recruited so I slapped my forehead..........

Then went to recruit a Lord, and she was there waiting for me. It seems you now can recruit LLs after confederation.

gently caress. YES.

That is how that has always worked.

Or at least in the entire time I played WH2 and 3 so several years now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I just had time to play, went to wrap up my kislev campaign... I suddenly had 10000 extra gold per turn income I think from changes, I cackled and started queueing up giant ice bears, I will also say in campaign the ai is if anything now MORE aggressive than before, likely because their economy is now better than it was

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

As Thorgrim is it worth doubling down on his hammerer buffs or should I boost regular and cheaper dwarf warriors? I don't usually play dawi and I don't know the melee meta for game 3. So far I've mostly fought rats who don't require a tough front line to beat.

He's got some long beard buffs too and the red line tree buffs miners and long beards too so its worth getting 3 points in it. The hammerer red line skill also sucks in comparison where thorgrim should be rocking longbeards with hammerers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally I would always double up on buffs for lords that have special ones, most units punch above their weight if you stack buffs on them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Yeeeuuuup. Having a Saurus Frontline makes a Brettonian Peasant army actually workable.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ArchRanger posted:

That is how that has always worked.

Or at least in the entire time I played WH2 and 3 so several years now.

Is it? I thought I'd lost Gelt by confederation and being unable to recruit him a few times. Maybe not :shrug:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I got long victory for Grimgor at 212 but apparently a mod to change March distance cost caused a script break so I got no popup notifying me of short or large being complete lol

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone know if there is a mod on the workshop that disables the battle realism camera? I don't like my view restricted on legendary difficulty and want to see the pretty scenery or not have the camera jerk around when flanking.

not a mod but you can change to debug camera mode to fix that but you will also be able to zoom into the floor and out into space

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You know whats great with settlement battles and the AI crowding the choke points?

Bloated corpses become silly.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

has anyone given bel'akor a try? whats it like balancing the different god authorities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

has anyone given bel'akor a try? whats it like balancing the different god authorities?

I haven't done him yet, but I'm in the middle of an Archaon campaign and it's pretty much the same deal. Essentially you have 3-ish ways to make an army:

1) Undivided (no or few daemons)

2) Mono-god with daemons (this is determined by what kind of lord you pick for the army, for example if you want Khorne or Slaanesh you must pick a Chaos lord & if you want Nurgle or Tzeentch you must pick a Chaos Sorcerer Lord and then you give them the appropriate mark)

3) 2-God with daemons (This is accomplished by picking a lord of one god and and some heroes of a non-hostile god (Khorne & Nurgle or Khorne & Tzeentch can go together but Khorne and Slaanesh hate each other and will nullify their benefits)

The only difference for Belakor is that he has no limit on how many daemons he can put into his armies.