Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Ah, my memories are old and live in old brainmeats. Thank you for the correction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:argh:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

UnknownMercenary posted:

The merch shop is restocking this Friday.

Is this the merch shop merch shop or the atelier shop where you can buy the kim kitsuragi pants?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Is this the merch shop merch shop or the atelier shop where you can buy the kim kitsuragi pants?

Atelier. I will buy the pants.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Wrr posted:

Atelier. I will buy the pants.

Rubbing my hands together like the drat Grinch rn!!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

lol

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://twitter.com/discoelysiumbot/status/1562402985074106368?t=S5zVAm0nrZ-xQE-0zLn5-A&s=19

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Worst part of the game, tbh.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
There are enough modifiers to pass that check even with zero shivers, but yeah you might have to break role-playing to get them all.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not on snake eyes!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Yeah, you can see he’s actually beat the check but still auto loses due to rolling double ones.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is that a very rare but possible softlock?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

No Dignity posted:

I was wondering about that too - in my case I had another unused skill point that I could use to immediately try again, but otherwise the game just tells you to explore the coast more.

I was wondering more generally as well if it's possible to get stuck in the game once you only have a few quests left to do, and you need to increase a skill for each of them to pass a check. If you have no more ways of getting XP then it wouldn't be possible to progress.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

No Dignity posted:

I think it's still possible yeah but they patched in a lot of bonus modifiers plus an alternate route.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I know all of the skill descriptions say something like this, but how does having high stats actually cash out in making you less able to relate to people? Even in games with modded 9/9/9/9 distributions and such, I haven't ever seen anything that could really be described as "negative" from high stats (except being unable to discover your true name from a failed conceptualization check, that is).

It's because with 9 stats in everything volition will always win a battle of wills

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Yadoppsi posted:

There are enough modifiers to pass that check even with zero shivers, but yeah you might have to break role-playing to get them all.

I mean, I'm not sure whether you can softlock yourself into not completing that skill check or not, but even though there's a lot of fun content that adds modifiers to it, having only that way of progressing the main story felt weird and incongruous with the way the game played until that point. If the devs were making a thematic point about Harry with it, it completely flew past me, tbh.

But the ending is incredible and more than makes up for that little niggle.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I accepted that as the devs going 'we want you to do this sidequest content that isn't a direct line on the investigation, so we are just going to say that Harry doesn't get the idea to investigate this building until he's explored the south bank enough'

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Thematically I think the idea is that the city itself is trying to tell Harry where she is, and the more intimately familiar Harry is with the city and the lives of the people who live in it, the easier it becomes for his spiritual antenna to pick up the message.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Thematically I think the idea is that the city itself is trying to tell Harry where she is, and the more intimately familiar Harry is with the city and the lives of the people who live in it, the easier it becomes for his spiritual antenna to pick up the message.

Yeah but also more practically it's Harry going 'oh this is the one building I haven't looked in, it's probably here'.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Conceptualization

christmas boots posted:

Logic

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but also more practically it's Harry going 'oh this is the one building I haven't looked in, it's probably here'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Conceptualisation is just logic in a fancy dress

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Alchenar posted:

Conceptualisation is just logic in a fancy dress

That's visual calculus

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally trying out a 1/2/5/4 hardcore run, though I tagged authority instead of half light to really round out the fascist meathead angle of it all

I totally forgot shivers was a body skill though which is weird because its basically psychic magic, but I definitely appreciate when it pipes in more now that I'm starting with a better general idea of Revachol/all that

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wolfsheim posted:

I definitely appreciate when it pipes in more now that I'm starting with a better general idea of Revachol/all that

i went high int for my first run so i got encyclopedia piping up a lot and it was a bit much. i think those skills are better appreciated on a second+ run when you're more into the world and more interested in lore tidbits which in a contextless first run can be overwhelming

Caufman
May 7, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

I think it's still possible yeah but they patched in a lot of bonus modifiers plus an alternate route.

What's the alternate route? I haven't encountered that yet.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you fail the shivers check you can try again with logic iirc and it leads you on a quest about radio waves which unlocks the shivers check again. I guess not really an alternate route but extra content if you fail it instead of just putting +1 into shivers to try again.

https://discoelysium.fandom.com/wiki/Work_with_the_Children_of_the_Big_Sea

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Oh man so that's how you call Speedfreaks FM? I've seen people do that but haven't run across it myself. Time to replay.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I didn't get that option but then I have pretty low logic.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
not the direction i expected for a sequel but i'm here for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggxESUhEGjw

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Brewcop

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Electrochemistry (Easy Success) : So experiment; have fun. Brewing is about the experience, and the journey.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I had to quit my high FYS, low PSY run because it makes Harry even more of an rear end in a top hat.

wologar fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 26, 2022

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I still can't believe it's Empathy the one that starts that Dr. Love quest.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

wologar posted:

I still can't believe it's Empathy the one that starts that Dr. Love quest.

It's Empathy loving up that starts the Dr. Love Quest. And it does so by making Harry project his own problems on the situation. I think that's actually pretty appropriate.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
When empathy fails, when you fail empathy, you're loving crazy. You have become a problem.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

not the direction i expected for a sequel but i'm here for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggxESUhEGjw

lol

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Has Kurwitz’s book been translated yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Any tips for making rent? I was able to con my way to getting the 130, but with how tedious it is to collect cans, I don't think I am in for a good time if I have to collect 20 monies every day. I am assuming either money will become a lot easier to get or I will be able to find another place to stay somehow? Stressing out about being able to make rent is not my idea of a fun time.