Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Not the exact bar but AFAIK they're all remarkably similar in terms of install (there's nowhere else they can be fitted!) so this video shouldn't steer you wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJ9WpeDhZo

While I'm here I'd like some induction noise eventually and I can't afford ITBs, is there anything out there for an NB to replace the stock intake that isn't a billion dollars and sounds nice?

That's going to be subjective, but I like the sound of the K&N intake that came on my NB. I assume any "tube with a pod filter" intake would be about the same sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I put a TR Lane roll bar (seems very similar to Hard Dog and such, but was cheaper to get in Europeland) in my previous NA a few years ago. It was remarkably straightforward, and that video seems to cover pretty much all of it in quite good detail. I don't remember having to do much at the seat belt mounts other than trimming a little bit of plastic (and of course get the right bolts and spacers in). I think there was a bolt on the seatbelt roll that was blocked by the roll bar, but it was just a small one for aligning it (the main bolt that takes all the seatbelt force is still there) and I just did without it.

The most tricky part as I remember it was to get the sheet metal panel and carpet to sit nicely since I had to cut that quite a bit (it was one of those "double hoop" things that has a bar going under that panel), but I managed to monkey something together with some extra bits of sheet metal and pop rivets.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Any input on pricing for a 2006 Touring (5 speed, no limited slip or suspension package, 16inch wheels, cloth) that popped up locally? 69k miles, no accidents. Large 6ish inch tear in soft top, windshield cracked, drivers seat bolsters very worn, stock suspension, and still has the stock coolant expansion tank. They're asking 8k, but I think that's off by a bit. Thoughts?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Everyone is asking too much for miatas. 8k seems okayish if it had zero issue but totally depends on your areas market.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What market are you in?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Dameius posted:

What market are you in?

Northwest, Portland area

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
NC prices in portland seem high (12-15k) but just looking at CL I found this nice '92 which looks EXTREMELY clean!

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/portland-1992-mazda-miata/7519917407.html

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

How old/tall/heavy does my child have to be to ride in ND Miata? She just turned 4 and I’m tired of truck life

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

djfooboo posted:

How old/tall/heavy does my child have to be to ride in ND Miata? She just turned 4 and I’m tired of truck life

It depends state by state.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

poo poo, most my driving is in Illinois which has dumb laws so probably 18+.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Voltage posted:

NC prices in portland seem high (12-15k) but just looking at CL I found this nice '92 which looks EXTREMELY clean!

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/portland-1992-mazda-miata/7519917407.html

They're high everywhere. CarMax gave me $7300 for my beat to poo poo '06 and they listed it for $16k and it showed as sold 3 days later.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

djfooboo posted:

I feel like when a cartoon character goes across the border and meets their slightly pallet swapped doppelganger.

I just checked Michigan's rules because I'm looking forward to putting my 4yo son in my NB so I don't have to drive a Jeep everywhere and they say it's fine as long as they're in a forward facing car seat or the airbag is turned off if it's rear facing. Other than that they don't care. I'm still going to wait until he's too big to use the built in straps but that's as much about convenience as safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6RKDSPZfA

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

What is my approach to get the best prices on a ND?

Give the Costco auto service a look?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

djfooboo posted:

poo poo, most my driving is in Illinois which has dumb laws so probably 18+.

In my state, I'm not sure what the car seat regs are but one rule they do have is that all children under 12 have to be in the back seat and welp let's just say I ride dirty a lot

Rhyno posted:

They're high everywhere. CarMax gave me $7300 for my beat to poo poo '06 and they listed it for $16k and it showed as sold 3 days later.

Oh man, that just makes me sick. That sucks! Sorry dude.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

tactlessbastard posted:

In my state, I'm not sure what the car seat regs are but one rule they do have is that all children under 12 have to be in the back seat and welp let's just say I ride dirty a lot

No exceptions? Michigan has a back seat law but makes an exception for if there isn't a back seat or if its already full of other children.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

ionn posted:

I put a TR Lane roll bar (seems very similar to Hard Dog and such, but was cheaper to get in Europeland) in my previous NA a few years ago. It was remarkably straightforward, and that video seems to cover pretty much all of it in quite good detail. I don't remember having to do much at the seat belt mounts other than trimming a little bit of plastic (and of course get the right bolts and spacers in). I think there was a bolt on the seatbelt roll that was blocked by the roll bar, but it was just a small one for aligning it (the main bolt that takes all the seatbelt force is still there) and I just did without it.

My particular rollbar sits between the seatbelt towers, and has a few bolts that connect horizontally to the sheet metal on said towers, which is the only thing I haven't seen a video for. Just worried I'll have to remove something extra to get access to the "inside". I found a video of the right hardware, but it's non-professional and they don't actually show any drilling. Linked to relevant timestamp. Can I actually reach all the way up there from the wheel well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHzKWZW5A0s&t=592s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tactlessbastard posted:

Eh, I was quite happy with the deal, the car was not in good shape. The only positive was new tires and top. I expected them to drop the initial offer but they matched it and I skipped away with that check. I didn't have the time or resources to sell it private party and get the kind of money they were asking for it.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

JohnnySavs posted:

My particular rollbar sits between the seatbelt towers, and has a few bolts that connect horizontally to the sheet metal on said towers, which is the only thing I haven't seen a video for. Just worried I'll have to remove something extra to get access to the "inside". I found a video of the right hardware, but it's non-professional and they don't actually show any drilling. Linked to relevant timestamp. Can I actually reach all the way up there from the wheel well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHzKWZW5A0s&t=592s

Apart from the mounting points at the seat belt (it doesn't use the "main seatbelt bolts" as mine did), it looks like it's in the same locations. I don't think that was too big of an issue, there were some where I couldn't get access with the drill from above (too close to something else to drill straight), but I could make a small pilot hole with a dremel and drill from inside the wheel well / underneath the car. This was like 7 years ago and I no longer have that particular MX-5, but I don't remember it being overall too difficult. This is the most closeup photo I can find of the roll bar (when I went and picked up some new tires for it), I apparently took zero photos of the installation:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Any tips for removing the front and rear bumpers on the ND? I ordered the Carbon Miata Spyder grill and Hard Dog tow hitch (for a bicycle rack) a few months ago, but it's been too hot to even consider working in the garage.

Trying to get the energy to do it in the near future. If my friend will let me, I was either planning on borrowing his quick jacks to use at my house, or maybe doing it at his house on the quick jacks or 4 post lift. Will this be a very tedious job?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

MetaJew posted:

Any tips for removing the front and rear bumpers on the ND? I ordered the Carbon Miata Spyder grill and Hard Dog tow hitch (for a bicycle rack) a few months ago, but it's been too hot to even consider working in the garage.

Trying to get the energy to do it in the near future. If my friend will let me, I was either planning on borrowing his quick jacks to use at my house, or maybe doing it at his house on the quick jacks or 4 post lift. Will this be a very tedious job?

I did the hitch over a few hours and it's not too bad. You don't need to jack up the car (for the rear bumper at least). Just follow the installation text and use the online shop manual for reference. The text mentions plastic Phillips screws and I had a hard time not stripping these; in retrospect these are probably actually JIS screws so try to use the right bits if you have access. If you don't have it already, get the anti-rattle kit. The removable receiver attaches very loosely and is actually quite loud, not to mention the extra wear it will take with a load on it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Hikaki posted:

I did the hitch over a few hours and it's not too bad. You don't need to jack up the car (for the rear bumper at least). Just follow the installation text and use the online shop manual for reference. The text mentions plastic Phillips screws and I had a hard time not stripping these; in retrospect these are probably actually JIS screws so try to use the right bits if you have access. If you don't have it already, get the anti-rattle kit. The removable receiver attaches very loosely and is actually quite loud, not to mention the extra wear it will take with a load on it.

Good point. It hadn't crossed my mind that I could get the rear bumper off without raising the car.

Can you point me to the shop manual? I thought I had bookmarked one, but I can't find it now.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
https://www.hexorcism.com/16ND/

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Making the financially dumb decision to sell my working 2nd car and shop NDs. I like the look of the Fiats, but I don't like giving up the power.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Third day of owning my Nc :( Little girl thought she could park in front of me without parallel parking and tagged my fender/bumper/hood/wheel. Miat is cursed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Canna Happy posted:

Third day of owning my Nc :( Little girl thought she could park in front of me without parallel parking and tagged my fender/bumper/hood/wheel. Miat is cursed.

Oh for fucks sake. Insurance sorting it out?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Canna Happy posted:

:glomp:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Canna Happy posted:

oof that sucks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Park in front without parallel parking? So she just drove straight into your Miat? :/

Some people should not be allowed on the roads.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Park in front without parallel parking? So she just drove straight into your Miat? :/

Some people should not be allowed on the roads.

MIatas are invisible so probably just thought it was like an open space :p

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Canna Happy posted:

Welp, time to turn it into a race car

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Wibla posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Insurance sorting it out?

Yeah, thankfully one of my coworkers saw her do it and I was able to go get her chased down. Her insurance contacted me yesterday, so hopefully its painless.

:sadwave:

Anyone know anything about diminished value claims? Maybe I can buy myself some more goodies.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Canna Happy posted:

Is it at least just the one body panel?

Unrelated: are NC soft tops powered, or is that just the hard top?

tater_salad posted:

MIatas are invisible so probably just thought it was like an open space :p

I think that's just trying to make sense out of terrible drivers. My mom was once driving down a one way road in a Grand Cherokee and someone to her right suddenly just decided to wing his car across two lanes of traffic to make a left turn.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

I think that's just trying to make sense out of terrible drivers. My mom was once driving down a one way road in a Grand Cherokee and someone to her right suddenly just decided to wing his car across two lanes of traffic to make a left turn.

NC soft tops are manual.

My wife’s best friend got T boned turning left off a highway by a guy that got frustrated at her slowing down and tried to pass her.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Canna Happy posted:

Yeah, thankfully one of my coworkers saw her do it and I was able to go get her chased down. Her insurance contacted me yesterday, so hopefully its painless.

:sadwave:

Anyone know anything about diminished value claims? Maybe I can buy myself some more goodies.

Replacement fender and a couple hours of repair on all the other impacted body panels on an older Miata is probably a couple hundred in DV, assuming it has a clean history otherwise

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

oh no drivers are poo poo.. but invisible cars are even worse.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

tater_salad posted:

oh no drivers are poo poo.. but invisible cars are even worse.

I've not been keeping score or anything, it just seems like people do dumb poo poo around me pretty equally whether I'm driving my Jeep or my Miata.

Granted, I just spent yesterday washing, iron removing, bug/tar removing, washing, clay barring, washing, polishing, and ceramic coating my Miata; so once I've waited 24 hours and applied a second coat I assume a meteor is going to obliterate my car the first time I drive it.

Edit: I was originally going to write "monster truck" but changed it to "meteor" because that was even more ridiculous, forgetting that "getting hit by an inattentive driver" was the whole point. I'm leaving it as a monument to my idiocy.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 25, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Hello thread I got a lot of catching up to do, but I am very likely going to be joining your ranks soon. Specifically I think this one might be a great match for me: https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/d/bellingham-1995-mazda-miata/7519541796.html I'll be going to check it out tomorrow and I think if everything looks good go home with it and start the neverending fun of small wrenching projects!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's clean as hell but 220,000 miles is a bit of a turn off. A more experienced person can chime in but 300k is probably around the max you could expect without an engine rebuild if it's got all of it's service done.

Service internal is 60k miles for that timing belt so you have some but not a lot of time

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

tater_salad posted:

It's clean as hell but 220,000 miles is a bit of a turn off. A more experienced person can chime in but 300k is probably around the max you could expect without an engine rebuild if it's got all of it's service done.

Service internal is 60k miles for that timing belt so you have some but not a lot of time

It does seem to be pretty well maintained, it's an older lady that owns it, second owner, who bought it in 2004 and has added most of the miles. It is also basically completely unmodified which feels good. I don't intend on putting too many miles on it, mostly a second vehicle (have a motorcycle from California but don't care much for riding in the rain). It will get used a good bit immediately just in that my primary car will be down for a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey folks! Been slowly thinking about trading in my Corolla for something more interesting/fun to drive, and the Miata is definitely in the running. Before I go out and start test driving, I was wondering, how feasible would it be to stick a digital piano in the passenger seat? I rarely have to do any transporting of larger items, but as a musician I do occasionally need to bring my 88-key piano around. Dimensions are 50.6″ x 10.2″ x 6.3″ (not including soft case which is very thin and shouldn't add much). Anyone tried to do this before? I imagine it shouldn't be a problem with top down, but what about top up? I'll probably just end up going to a dealer anyway to check for myself, but figured I'd ask in case anyone has concrete experience with something similar.