Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

He's being sarcastic, right? This isn't his actual opinion, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

Not just saying the quiet part out loud, but SCREAMING it. :smith:

Yeah, but to be honest I can't remember the last time anyone faced consequences for saying the quiet part out loud.

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Aug 25, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Nebrilos posted:

Better than even odds he actually believes this, and thinks it's a good thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, but to be honest I can't remember the last time anyone faced consequences for saying the quiet part out loud.

Romney got hurt by that video where he said some Americans are worthless because they don't pay taxes because they're old or a disabled veteran or poor. But honestly he was never gonna beat Barack Obama, it probably only cost him 1-2% points in the popular vote. No one changed their mind about Romney after that but it might have motivated a few people who wouldn't have bothered to vote to vote for Obama.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Romney got hurt by that video where he said some Americans are worthless because they don't pay taxes because they're old or a disabled veteran or poor. But honestly he was never gonna beat Barack Obama, it probably only cost him 1-2% points in the popular vote. No one changed their mind about Romney after that but it might have motivated a few people who wouldn't have bothered to vote to vote for Obama.

That feels like it happened 10,000 years ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McCracAttack posted:

That feels like it happened 10,000 years ago.

Yeah, it's almost completely irrelevant except if for some reason Donald Trump doesn't run in 2024 there's a small chance Romney might try again.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nebrilos posted:

"universal healthcare will make people quit their lovely jobs" was touted as a negative in the US discourse. The economic coercion is a feature.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bit of a way's back but yeah it won't shock anyone that a whole lot of autistics-- not going to subdivide further than that-- are massive assholes who absolutely try to use the disorder as a crutch to justify being a piece of human garbage, and a sad number greatly overestimate how subtle they are about their actual motives and methods.

quote:

Also I'm pretty sure anyone who calls it Asperger's in 2022 definitely self diagnosed.

People who call themselves "Aspergers" in 2022 fall into a few categories with significant overlap and they're all sad:

1. People whose self image relies on them being better than others in their group-- "I'm autistic, but I'm not like, autistic-autistic. I'm one of you, but I'm not one of you. Like we're the same, but I'm just a bit better. Wait why are you telling me to go gently caress myself? You're the real bigot!"
2. People who got diagnosed 20+ years ago and never updated their education, still thinking the autism spectrum is a line of "high" and "low" and not a plastic radar graph of environmentally-influenced variables. Stubborn old mules here.
3. People who are desperate to avoid the social stigma that comes with autism at all costs. Sympathetic to a degree, but they're trying to prop themselves up by pushing others down, so it's a self-defeating play in the long run because no one respects Aspergers anyway; at best they tolerate it.
4. People whose support networks and access to information are so remedial that they're legitimately that far behind the curve-- think people out in rural backwaters or cultures that barely want to acknowledge autism as something that exists at all.

Weirdly self-diagnosis isn't as huge a problem as a lot of people think. Like yeah there are assholes who just use the label for clout and make trouble, but they're a drop in the bucket in terms of severity compared to the ocean of bullshit autistics deal with elsewhere, and most autistics only get mad about them because it's a target they can get away with hitting. Fine enough if that's their choice, but like, not the hill to die on for any party involved.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

Bit of a way's back but yeah it won't shock anyone that a whole lot of autistics-- not going to subdivide further than that-- are massive assholes who absolutely try to use the disorder as a crutch to justify being a piece of human garbage, and a sad number greatly overestimate how subtle they are about their actual motives and methods.

People who call themselves "Aspergers" in 2022 fall into a few categories with significant overlap and they're all sad:

1. People whose self image relies on them being better than others in their group-- "I'm autistic, but I'm not like, autistic-autistic. I'm one of you, but I'm not one of you. Like we're the same, but I'm just a bit better. Wait why are you telling me to go gently caress myself? You're the real bigot!"
2. People who got diagnosed 20+ years ago and never updated their education, still thinking the autism spectrum is a line of "high" and "low" and not a plastic radar graph of environmentally-influenced variables. Stubborn old mules here.
3. People who are desperate to avoid the social stigma that comes with autism at all costs. Sympathetic to a degree, but they're trying to prop themselves up by pushing others down, so it's a self-defeating play in the long run because no one respects Aspergers anyway; at best they tolerate it.
4. People whose support networks and access to information are so remedial that they're legitimately that far behind the curve-- think people out in rural backwaters or cultures that barely want to acknowledge autism as something that exists at all.

Weirdly self-diagnosis isn't as huge a problem as a lot of people think. Like yeah there are assholes who just use the label for clout and make trouble, but they're a drop in the bucket in terms of severity compared to the ocean of bullshit autistics deal with elsewhere, and most autistics only get mad about them because it's a target they can get away with hitting. Fine enough if that's their choice, but like, not the hill to die on for any party involved.

The DSM didn't drop Asperger's until 2013. That's still a while ago but that's a bit more recent than 20+ years. (I'm addressing #3 specifically)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's fine to identify as such if you were diagnosed with it. Don't need to make it a weird thing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

mind the walrus posted:

In France mainstream awareness of autism is alright but progress in the field is pretty sluggish. Part of it is that Lacanian psychoanalysis and other bullshit still holds a lot of influence among psychiatrists - my father was a social worker and he loving hates these guys he had to work with, bunch of secular priests with a ready-made answer for everything.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

this isnt about children its about horny dads / moms esp since shes just wearing mom jeans and a turtle neck so she isnt even dressing provactivly. shes just young with an attractive body.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah your should keep reading this thread because several posts later it turns out that tweet was fantastically misrepresenting it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I guess someone high up is done with these fucks:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1562916206419509248

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1562916212841103360

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1562916200866267138

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Privileged people completely lacking in self-awareness, Fox News at eleven

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Where can I get one of these PP loans?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Anora posted:

Hypocrites getting told on.

:kiss:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Knormal posted:

Sorry, you only qualify for the minimum

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Knormal posted:

They were supposed to be for businesses to continue paying their employees during the early pandemic, but apparently making a podcast qualifies sometimes too, as it did for many of the people now complaining about student loan relief.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
There is way to many idiots whinging about student loan repayments that had ppp loans forgiven, but heres a nice compilation of them.

https://twitter.com/trayne_wreck/status/1562587880026808321

My personal favorite is this bitter goober. Just keep being a crab in the bucket.
https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/1562469558040264706
"Peers" not friends, peers.
https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/1562469688130797570

https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/1562551386185023488

Rhythmancer
Jun 5, 2004
Mr. Saturn

Anora posted:

I guess someone high up is done with these fucks:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1562916206419509248

I only hear about this guy every so often and then I forget about him so I get to be amused anew every time I hear there's a guy out there actually named Markwayne

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnT instant ramen acutally kinda expensive $/calorie compared to rich and beans and actual frugal food choices?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah but it's way faster to cook and rich in sodium!

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

isnT instant ramen acutally kinda expensive $/calorie compared to rich and beans and actual frugal food choices?

It's tastier with the flavor packets and easier to prepare as opposed to needing to wash rice or soak beans. Plus wheat is generally plentiful and easy to process, so its alot more available to urban populaces.

We just need to add more protein, maybe soy? And If we dye it green, it would be perceived as more sustainable.

Have I seen this episode before?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

poor bb posted:

For a 5 year period, I determined that paying off my student loan quickly would be a priority for me. To do so, I had to live in poverty because my college-degree is in a field where entry level wages are unlivably low. Between cost of living & restrictive student loan debt, I was forced to live in an overcrowded home and go without even basic nutrition. My idea of luxury at that time was vegetables and lunch meat. I was so destitute that I had to rely on the charity of others to avoid starving. I deprived myself not just of comfort or luxury, but of some of the most essential human needs, choosing to spend money that could have made material improvements in my life on paying off my debt.

Others around me did not. Cancelling student debt invalidates the suffering that I chose to put myself through in order to earn more money for myself sooner. It removes some of the burder that some people face. I do not approve of people who had different priorities and made different decisions than I did receiving a modest amount of charity. My words imply envy, entitlement and resentment. I reach to rehash old grudges and shift blame. When confronted with my callousness and contradictions, I get defensive, demonizing others and refusing to self-examine. My justification for a system that has caused me real harm is based on some idea of fairness and adherence to immutable societal rules

👍

edit: gently caress I forgot the best part

wah wah posted:

Implicit in all of this is the idea that I recognize student debt is restrictive and can have a dramatic impact on quality of life, and that it would do so for a length of time longer than five years, long enough to justify depriving myself substantially.

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Aug 26, 2022

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Also, aren't these the people who don't agree with the societal contract and institutions?

I'm even being nice and not pointing out that <20k a year would be barely enough to survive on even without a student loan

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Aug 26, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhazonLink posted:

Kind of?

In absolute terms, it’s closer to the cheapest food than it is to like a solid middle class living diet. Like, if ramen costs four simoleons per day and rice costs one, in one sense it’s profligate spending, but if the alternative is avocado toast (:siren:) at sixteen simoleons, the difference between ramen and rice hardly matters.

Or, if I may make an airship analogy, it hardly matters if you fill the gas bags with helium or hydrogen, because they’re both so much lighter than air. A cubic metre of hydrogen is half the mass of a cubic metre of helium, yet it only gives you seven percent more buoyancy.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Instant ramen is also a lot easier to cook if you’re a college student without a real kitchen.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cult_hero posted:

It's tastier with the flavor packets and easier to prepare as opposed to needing to wash rice or soak beans. Plus wheat is generally plentiful and easy to process, so its alot more available to urban populaces.

We just need to add more protein, maybe soy? And If we dye it green, it would be perceived as more sustainable.

Have I seen this episode before?

I mean, sure

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Basically "I'd rather millions of Americans suffer because then I could have five more bucks in my paycheck"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You don't need to soak beans, that's a myth.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/shadihamid/status/1562929399527362560?t=A4OXnGJ9fCHg8zBHiD3u7A&s=19

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Do these idiots not realise that the logical extension of their arguments is not only to forgive ALL student debt, but to pay reparations to people who paid theirs off if they can show that repayment materially impacted their lives?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Scientastic posted:

Do these idiots not realise that the logical extension of their arguments is not only to forgive ALL student debt, but to pay reparations to people who paid theirs off if they can show that repayment materially impacted their lives?

Something something unfair to people who didn't take out student loans.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Something something unfair to people who didn't take out student loans.

Give everyone some sort of minimum amount of money, you say? It wouldn’t need to be complex, some sort of basic regular allowance of money. An income, if you will. For all, universally?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Scientastic posted:

Give everyone some sort of minimum amount of money, you say? It wouldn’t need to be complex, some sort of basic regular allowance of money. An income, if you will. For all, universally?

Blimey, this redistribution of wealth is trickier than I thought.

OK, there, that's the inevitable Monty Python reference over and done with.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Aug 26, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"BUT WITHOUT USURIOUS INTEREST RATES FOR MULTI-DECADE TERMS, LENDERS WON'T BE ABLE TO STAY IN BUSINESS :supaburn:"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it's times like this i turn to the bible to reassure myself in my belief that debt forgiveness is immoral

just like jesus said

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It would be unfair to the people the trolley already ran over to divert it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
If it places undue hardship on the working class, tax the loving rich to pay for it then.

Also, interest is imaginary.