Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

V. Illych L. posted:

schmitt in particular is one of the most serious early critics of developed bourgeois democracy. he went completely mad personally, but a lot of his work in discussing liberality and democracy e.g. was and is very important and to a large extent useful for disentangling some important concepts in our contemporary society

if you're coming from a marxist perspective this will not turn you into a nazi since you've already got issues with bourgeois democracy and will naturally interpret his criticisms from a different point of view than he, an rear end in a top hat bougie german, did

I can't read the article in question because it's behind a paywall*, but I believe you. Like I said, it doesn't seem like these ideas were being regurgitated but engaged with in a critical fashion, so the argument confuses me (I mean, not really, this is the Marxism thread on Something Awful dot Com.)

* If I'm being honest I doubt I'd read it right now even if it were freely accessible. I've got minis to paint, pets to play with, and I'm still working on the Capital analysis that I need to finish in another week or so, so at best I'd likely bookmark it for reading at some unspecified future date.

eta: Added a quote to make it clear who I was responding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Raskolnikov38 posted:

theres a line between 19th century dude writing about savages and a nazi court philosopher

it really depends on which 19th century dude you're thinking of.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Falstaff posted:

I can't read the article in question because it's behind a paywall*, but I believe you. Like I said, it doesn't seem like these ideas were being regurgitated but engaged with in a critical fashion, so the argument confuses me (I mean, not really, this is the Marxism thread on Something Awful dot Com.)

* If I'm being honest I doubt I'd read it right now even if it were freely accessible. I've got minis to paint, pets to play with, and I'm still working on the Capital analysis that I need to finish in another week or so, so at best I'd likely bookmark it for reading at some unspecified future date.

eta: Added a quote to make it clear who I was responding to.

the line of argument goes that since the conclusion can be naziism (demonstrated by the thinker himself becaming a nazi), you should not engage with the line of thinking at all. this is regardless of any particular truth value or merit outside of the thinker himself, because the empirical fact of the intellectual succumbing to naziism means that he is a) unintelligent and/or b) that the thoughts in question are objectively nazi propaganda, since they clearly led someone to become a nazi

a) is on some occasions flatly untrue, but b) merits a more substantive evaluation - smart nazi propaganda isn't something to cite in an academic context unless one is specifically looking at propaganda etc., so you want to see if there is some actual value to be extracted with a critical eye. this can be and has been done with several authors and thinkers, prominently heidegger and only slightly less prominently schmitt

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

croup coughfield posted:

the only way to understand bourgeois democracy and its contradictions is to read 👏 mein 👏 kampf 👏

i appreciate the bit you're doing but come on, that's incredibly bad faith. you 100% literally might read mein kampf to understand what happened in germany. it's a primary source, as incredibly flawed as it is and with the trillion caveats that we justifiably put on it. you can examine the text and not support the text, you can examine the influence and not support the text.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol, you don't have to be smart to be persuasive. usually the opposite. mein kampf is dumb as hell, like, try reading a passage outloud and not bust up laughing. but it galvanized a whole nation

smart usually requires some subtlety and appreciation of context

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

The Voice of Labor posted:

mein kampf is dumb as hell, like, try reading a passage outloud and not bust up laughing

ok but what if you do it without the hitler impression

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m sitting in a bumpy bus which makes it inconvenient to write much but here’s a excerpt on how Schmitt can be evaluated and contrasted in a Marxist analysis, from Comrade by Dean

quote:

“Carl Schmitt famously characterized liberalism as replacing politics with ethics and economics. Correlatively, we should note the displacement of politics specific to neoliberalism. There is individualized self-cultivation, self-management, self-reliance, self-absorption, and—at the same time—impersonal determining processes, circuits, and systems. We have responsible individuals, individuals who are responsibilized, treated as loci of autonomous choices and decisions, and we have individuals encountering situations that are utterly determining and outside their control. Instead of ethics and economics, neoliberalism’s displacement of politics manifests in the opposition between survivors and systems. The former struggle to persist in conditions of unlivability rather than to seize and transform these conditions. The latter are systems and “hyperobjects” determining us, often aesthetic objects or objects of a future aesthetics, things to view and diagram and predict and perhaps even mourn, but not to affect.”

there’s more stuff in there but I hope this example is helpful to this discussion.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cuttlefush posted:

ok but what if you do it without the hitler impression

less funny but still pretty funny. you can do it in a trump voice or a tucker voice too, droopy dog is also good

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

CoolCab posted:

i appreciate the bit you're doing but come on, that's incredibly bad faith. you 100% literally might read mein kampf to understand what happened in germany. it's a primary source, as incredibly flawed as it is and with the trillion caveats that we justifiably put on it. you can examine the text and not support the text, you can examine the influence and not support the text.

my objection is that these are presented by the op as required, that we simply must use these specific sources if we want to understand the mechanisms of capitalism. thats absurd. like no one else on earth can explain why liberal hegemony is bad except this one skull-measurer. i do not agree with the supposition and suggest that the op is wrong on this one.

lol, you don't have to be smart to be persuasive.

maybe you should try to be either before posting again

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Marx would write three entire notebooks against some low-tier intellectual on an average monday if Engels let him

I've always been a fan of the theory that Max Stirner did not exist and was purely a trick Engles pulled on Marx to get him wound up

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

StashAugustine posted:

I've always been a fan of the theory that Max Stirner did not exist and was purely a trick Engles pulled on Marx to get him wound up

Making up a guy to get mad at, but with a twist

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

StashAugustine posted:

Same.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

croup coughfield posted:

my objection is that these are presented by the op as required, that we simply must use these specific sources if we want to understand the mechanisms of capitalism. thats absurd. like no one else on earth can explain why liberal hegemony is bad except this one skull-measurer. i do not agree with the supposition and suggest that the op is wrong on this one.

then good, make the argument as you have done, are doing. don't fall back into that ur-Goon impulse to reduce everything into a rifftrax where everyone is goofing on what a wild thing someone said.

as thread Hey We Shouldn't Kick Out The Trotskysts Guy, apparently that's extending to You Know Academic Marxism Exists, Right guy

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
i like to make jokes and have fun

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
big daddy marx would want me to laugh at people being dumb

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you know who didnt have fun?

adolf hitler

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Man, I always knew gradenko was full of Schmitt

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

croup coughfield posted:

after your mother's heart, bless her

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

CoolCab posted:

after your mother's heart, bless her

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Look if Heidegger is supposed to be this no good guy that we can't talk about why do we keep posting that gif of him saying "its free real estate"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

i don't think you're cut out for an automatic in the first place

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the victims of communism museum adds another number to its figures

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

the victims of communism museum adds another number to its figures

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Look if Heidegger is supposed to be this no good guy that we can't talk about why do we keep posting that gif of him saying "its free real estate"

that’s hermeneutics bayby

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Germaneutics

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I refuse to believe in rocketry because of its political affiliation.

Those "satellites" are reactionary conspiracy theories hiding the glorious face of comrade Engels smiling down from the heavens.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Those "satellites" are reactionary conspiracy theories hiding the glorious face of comrade Engels smiling down from the heavens.

The moon landings were the epitome of white supremacy’s expression due to the involvement of Kurt H. Debus.

wait who am i kidding the moon landings were faked? !?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I have terrible news: Carl Schmitt is discussed in the latest episode of the red-brown podcast TrueAnon. shield your ears.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Moon Landings were white supremacist because they were by a white supremacist state and put a white supremacist flag on the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Moon Landings were white supremacist because they were by a white supremacist state and put a white supremacist flag on the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

and what color is the moon? thats right, WHITE

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and what color is the moon? thats right, WHITE

the moon is not white

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Atrocious Joe posted:

the moon is not white

That's just an Elizabeth Warren moon.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

nobodys saying this.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

the moon is not white

wow. is there a friggin cheeto on the white moon

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

nobodys saying this.

croup coughfield posted:

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

cant argue with it

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Homeless Friend posted:

wow. is there a friggin cheeto on the white moon

the moon has been trumpified

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
what would marx's name be if she transitioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
groucha