Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's also worth knowing that holding the Steam button while using the (right only?) trackpad makes it work like a mouse even if it functions differently in the current input configuration. This is important to know if if you ever get a mouse cursor that you otherwise can't control, or if you screw up your Desktop input settings. I'm not sure this behavior is actually explicitly documented somewhere so it's kind of hard to discover.

I'm pretty sure this was part of the tutorial UI.

It's also the only method I know of...?

While most other options will work, nothing allows for mouse-clicking unless the steam button is pressed. (To my knowledge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a lot of shortcuts tied to the steam button and yeah they’re mentioned someone at some point. The ones I use the most are:

Steam + R1 is screenshots.
Steam + X brings up the keyboard.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think games have to make use of a Steam API to have the on-screen keyboard popup. Most games won't do that, so you have to bring it up manually with Steam+X. Over time we should see less of this as games accommodate for the Steam Deck, but for now that's how it is.

It's also worth knowing that holding the Steam button while using the (right only?) trackpad makes it work like a mouse even if it functions differently in the current input configuration. This is important to know if if you ever get a mouse cursor that you otherwise can't control, or if you screw up your Desktop input settings. I'm not sure this behavior is actually explicitly documented somewhere so it's kind of hard to discover.

Thanks! I wish there was a smaller keyboard (or transparent) for these situations. I use the virtual mouse cursor all the time and its really great! Good tip :)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GolfHole posted:

I'm pretty sure this was part of the tutorial UI.
If you launch a game that Steam knows requires manual keyboard entry then, yes, it has a tutorial that explains how to bring up the keyboard.

I don't recall any such tutorial though regarding forcing mouse input from the trackpad. I had to figure it out the hard way when Control corrupted my save. Maybe they added one?

GolfHole posted:

While most other options will work, nothing allows for mouse-clicking unless the steam button is pressed. (To my knowledge)
In most templates pressing the right trackpad is a left-click, and pressing the left trackpad is a right-click. Also Steam+triggers will do mouse-clicks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally saw another steam deck in the wild. Traveling back from Hawaii dude had his 512.

Said he absolutely loves the thing. Of course.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

unpurposed posted:

Thanks! I wish there was a smaller keyboard (or transparent) for these situations.

Ugh, yeah, I've had the keyboard obscure the field I'm typing in a few times, and it sucks, especially because the touch keyboard can be so unresponsive that I'm not always sure if it registered or not.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Shart Carbuncle posted:

[...] the touch keyboard can be so unresponsive that I'm not always sure if it registered or not.

That's my main issue. Makes playing FFXIV a bit more difficult when chatting, but i should probably just use an external keyboard (although not the best when traveling).

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Holding down the Steam or … buttons will display an overlay of shortcuts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

unpurposed posted:

That's my main issue. Makes playing FFXIV a bit more difficult when chatting, but i should probably just use an external keyboard (although not the best when traveling).

You should honestly learn to type with the trackpads. It feels off for a little bit, but then you get the hang of it.

An external keyboard means you put the thing down to type and that's a hassle.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jokes posted:

You should honestly learn to type with the trackpads. It feels off for a little bit, but then you get the hang of it.

An external keyboard means you put the thing down to type and that's a hassle.

I can't even get over it on mobile keyboards, swype poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jokes posted:

I've been working on getting used to them but I feel like something is just slightly off with trying to hit letters in the middle of the keyboard. Like the inner edges of both trackpads don't quite comfortably get me there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah that's the biggest problem with the touchpad typing IMO, those center keys like T, G, V, Y, H, and B.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1562925863758626819?s=21&t=uhT-DJtfxT1NbOF69xEeYg

Pretty cool

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've been working on getting used to them but I feel like something is just slightly off with trying to hit letters in the middle of the keyboard. Like the inner edges of both trackpads don't quite comfortably get me there.
There's an acceleration option that makes the edge keys a bit easier to hit and also gives you some overlap in the middle so you can hit them with either hand, try that out

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When the gently caress can I turn off "press to click" on the trackpads for the keyboard because that poo poo is my biggest issue with it. The way I use the trackpads I try to be as minimal as possible with any sort of pressure I put down on it but sometimes, especially when I go fast, I press down just a little bit too hard and I get a keypress I didn't want. I really like typing with the trackpads and the triggers, I don't want to select anything with the trackpads and it's still so annoying this can't be turned off so instead I just use a keyboard.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone have gamecube games running through dolphin working well? I'm getting annoying stuttering on Wind Waker. I've installed the flatpak via Discover.

It's weird, it doesn't look like the CPU is taxed at all, but there's some fuckery in the way dolphin works when launched in game mode so it has bad stutters every so often.

I've seen that running it in desktop mode helps, but then IDK how to use the controller buttons as controller buttons then since I've already bound most of them to do desktop things.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Eeyo posted:

Anyone have gamecube games running through dolphin working well? I'm getting annoying stuttering on Wind Waker. I've installed the flatpak via Discover.

It's weird, it doesn't look like the CPU is taxed at all, but there's some fuckery in the way dolphin works when launched in game mode so it has bad stutters every so often.

I've seen that running it in desktop mode helps, but then IDK how to use the controller buttons as controller buttons then since I've already bound most of them to do desktop things.

There's a program that limits your CPU threads that helps out a lot with Dolphin. I don't have my Deck with me now or I'd tell you the name. But if you limit it to only using 3 CPU cores it runs better.

EDIT: Here's a thread on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ue2vvt/this_plugin_makes_emulation_so_much_better/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo that's night and day, really cool. I was seeing a lot of slowdown on Pikmin (Wii version though) so maybe this will help in that regard too.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
It's silly that I waited a year with this thing on preorder but the two weeks it's taking to ship are killing me

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sigher posted:

Holy poo poo that's night and day, really cool. I was seeing a lot of slowdown on Pikmin (Wii version though) so maybe this will help in that regard too.

Yeah I had the exact same issue with the exact same game as the video and it fixed it immediately.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whoops looks like I broke a game by dual booting yet again. May need to reimage and start from scratch because an “uninstall” didn’t fix it lmao.

One day I will stop messing with this thing and just play games. It won’t be anytime soon

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That puts that debate to rest, for those of you who were still doubting Valve would make more steam decks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChromeOS running Steam games is going to, uh, revolutionize educational computing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That puts that debate to rest, for those of you who were still doubting Valve would make more steam decks.
Also from the booklet:

quote:

In addition, we’ll soon be making SteamOS available for other manufacturers who wish to make a gaming device of their own.
I swore I'd heard this before, but it's good to get confirmation. Be interesting to see how "Deck clones" turn out, for better or worse.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Windows and Android end up loaded to the brim with manufacturer crapware, what makes them think SteamOS will end up any different. Like not just on some devices, every single third party Windows laptop and Android phone is loaded to the brim with crapware. Because in a commodity hardware market your margins are razor thin and crapware is how you make money.

I think it's just an acknowledgement that SteamOS is mostly open source and there is nothing Valve can do to stop them as long as they don't call it SteamOS or preinstall Steam itself (just make the knockoff devices first boot to a web browser open to Steam's install page instead)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Valve is legally required to let other companies use Steam OS if they want to.

edit: but I'm sure steam OS becoming more universally used would only benefit them. they would obviously like it if steam became the face of handheld pc gaming just as it has for desktop gaming.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 26, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Kins posted:

Also from the booklet:

I swore I'd heard this before, but it's good to get confirmation. Be interesting to see how "Deck clones" turn out, for better or worse.

They’ve reached out to GPD for a version for their devices and that’s supposedly in the works.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I put down Dark Cloud 2 long enough to try the SM64 and OoT native ports. Both run well as expected.

The Zelda Ocarina of Time native port Ship of Harkinian very easy to get going. There are linux binary releases in their discord - you don't have to compile poo poo if you don't want to. You just drop the right ROM with the right file name next to the .appImage file and go. Controls work out of the box. F1 for options and F10 for fullscreen.

The SM64 port SM64ex was a bit trickier. Instructions I found for building it were for other linux distros so it was a bit of looking to find the right libraries. Render96 also didn't help, as some outdated instructions mistakenly tell you to add models before building. Controls out of the box are hosed up. They can be remapped but it didn't recognize the analog stick. This might be easily fixed by running it in game mode. Settings for SM64ex or any fork are found in /.local/share/, which can be deleted to reset settings to default. I made of copy of the built game and added the Render96 models and textures which look pretty good. This way I can have a choice in Steam between Super Mario 64 EX and Mario 64 Render96.

The Kins posted:

Also from the booklet:

Same. I think it was for the Steam machines from like Alienware?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Just for you I checked my Inspiron laptop and 10 year old HP monitor.

This made me remember something: I think we have 60 Hz as a standard refresh rate going back to NTSC/System M (in that case, it was the field rate due to interlacing) because our electrical grid uses 60 Hz AC as the line frequency, and synchronizing those values was used to prevent intermodulation; similarly, PAL/SECAM/System B/G regions were 50 Hz due to their grid's frequency. Maybe that's why those 48/50 Hz options are specifically available?

I'll freely admit that I'm just conjecturing here; some of the details are factual but I may be way off base with the rest!

Gay Retard posted:

You could always place a USB A > USB C dongle into the third port of the Anker power adapter, which would let you charge those pesky pre-PD 2.0 devices that hate USB C to USB C cables.

Oof, you're talking about using a USB-C to USB-A receptacle? I hadn't thought about that, but that might actually cause even more problems! Remember, there are different underlying power delivery standards (including multiple versions of PD over the years, Qualcomm QC, VOOC, etc.) and throwing in an adapter doesn't resolve any inherent incompatibilities.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't been lost in the discussion--you're suggesting that I've made points I haven't actually made.

This is the summary of the point I've been trying to make: if you had a USB-C hub that reserves (and derates) 20+ W, and you have a 65+ W PSU, the 100 W cables would be "beneficial" since such a hub would be able to provide the full 45 W of power the Deck accepts. This hinges on a few things though:
  • Re-regulating (accepts 20 V input, provides 15 V output) hubs are expensive and uncommon. Most USB-C hubs run on the bus voltage negotiated between the PSU and the Deck, and so are limited to 15 V input.
  • There's USB-C hubs that actually reserve 20 W for operation. The one I have only reserves 15 W, but it's not the highest-end model.
  • USB-PD 2.0 PSUs max out at 45 W (3A) when running at 15 V, so there's no difference between 60 W and 100 W cables here.
  • The Deck doesn't accept 20 V input. Which, I thought it might at first based on the OEM PSU specifications, but folks on Reddit have tested it and it doesn't.
  • There's an appreciable difference between 30 W and 45 W max on the Deck. Technically there is (faster charging when running at full tilt), but in practice this isn't a scenario users will typically encounter.
Of course, I'm willing to concede that the tangible benefits of 100 W cables exist only in fairly contrived scenarios given the above. But also, at the time I purchased the 65 W PSU the cables were like $2 more, so again, meh?

I'm going to drop the discussion because I think we're all on the same page now. The only thing I'd add is that, the one thing you've uncovered, the re-regulating (or not) hubs, is genuinely useful information to consumers yet is never advertised. It's the kind of thing that users would have to test for and create a community-run database. I'm guessing it'd take either disassembly of each hub to inspect their components, perhaps inquiring with the manufacturers to see if they'd be willing to clarify, or testing with different power sources/sinks and multimeters to see if the hubs can or can't handle different input/output voltages.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

50Hz is definitely for PAL content, all my monitors in Ireland have had it as an option.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I finally got my Steamdeck, promptly managed to get my PS2 emulator and Stalker Anomaly to run. This thing is dark magic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

IAnomaly to run.

Was this easy? Stalker is one of the big things I wanna play again :D

\/\/\/\/\/
thank you!!!

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 26, 2022

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Was this easy? Stalker is one of the big things I wanna play again :D

Yes, it was. It was just a matter of installing Protontricks, adding Anomaly to steam and downloading a few DLLs via protontricks.

Here is a detailed guide https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/forum/thread/running-anomaly-on-steamdeck-and-other-linux-distros-with-proton#1118101

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

I finally got my Steamdeck, promptly managed to get my PS2 emulator and Stalker Anomaly to run. This thing is dark magic.

What sort of control scheme are you using for Stalker ?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Subjunctive posted:

ChromeOS running Steam games is going to, uh, revolutionize educational computing.

I know they wouldn't run high end games, but no Steam support was one of the main reasons I've never considered getting a Chromebook.

This is potentially huge.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got moved form Q4 to Q3, so I'm expecting to get my golden ticket by end of next month.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Anymore than running Oregon Trail on the Apple IIs in the computer lab?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol kids are already gaming on their phones anyway and with better performance

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got moved form Q4 to Q3, so I'm expecting to get my golden ticket by end of next month.

:same: I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

shrike82 posted:

lol kids are already gaming on their phones anyway and with better performance

Yes, but I'm:

A: an Apple user
B: old
C: decrepit

so I want the larger screen and built in controller.