Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

This keeps popping up and I can't find PGUpd.exe on the computer. Seems like some sketch malware. I only have windows defender but it doesn't find anything.

When this pop-up is present, can you find pgupd.exe on the details tab of an elevated task manager? You can find the command line from there. Optionally, Process Explorer can hunt through memory for strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

astral posted:

Perhaps the worst behavior that came out of this was that several apps began to store their entire applications in people's user folders, robbing them of the very protections UAC would provide.

Access control has historically always been about protecting the integrity of the *system*, not of the individual user's account or data. That's what UAC was meant to do; and that's what installing applications into someone's own user folder rather than a system-wide location also serves.

It hasn't been until fairly recently in computing that thought has been put into protecting users from other things running under their own credentials.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EoRaptor posted:

When this pop-up is present, can you find pgupd.exe on the details tab of an elevated task manager? You can find the command line from there. Optionally, Process Explorer can hunt through memory for strings.

Better than this, in Process Explorer there's a toolbar button that looks like a crosshair, Find Window's Process.
When the popup next appears, drag it over to the popup and you'll see what is generating it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

astral posted:

Perhaps the worst behavior that came out of this was that several apps began to store their entire applications in people's user folders, robbing them of the very protections UAC would provide.

Especially fun when they install the entire app and all its cache data in the roaming folder on an AD network with very limited profile sizes.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Especially fun when they install the entire app and all its cache data in the roaming folder on an AD network with very limited profile sizes.

Each version, of course, gets its own folder and duplicate executable.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Windows 11's marketshare on Steam actually declined a little bit from last month which surprises me.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Windows 11's marketshare on Steam actually declined a little bit from last month which surprises me.

Did 10 gain, or was it the mac/linux/steamdeck users nudging windows overall down by a fraction of a percent?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Could be related to the jump in Russian language and drop in English language install percent.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

That survey is opt-in. A couple % change is not significant.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't even know what thread to post this...

I have my TV plugged in to my computer. I don't really use it as a second monitor, it's on the wall opposite of me, it's really just for watching movies/streaming video and watching from the kitchen while I do chores.

I use EarTrumpet to have MS Edge or VLC to play through the TV speakers rather than just changing the entire output device in Windows because I don't want Steam chat notifications playing through the TV lol.

The other day I tried to stream a movie off Amazon Prime [in Edge] on my TV, but it kept playing the audio through my default PC speakers. If I opened a new tab in Edge and went to YouTube it'd play through the TV though. Is this just some obnoxious DRM bullshit or something else entirely?

And as an aside, while EarTrumpet mostly does what I want it doesn't seem especially well tailored to setting the output device for Browsers, and on the rare occasion when I would like to just do a system-wide "redirect" I can't use the default Windows volume mixer/control panel for that anymore. Are there any other apps that provide quicker/better output device management?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 9, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sab669 posted:

I would like to just do a system-wide "redirect" I can't use the default Windows volume mixer/control panel for that anymore. Are there any other apps that provide quicker/better output device management?

I used EarTrumpet for a few years, but when I got a new wired headset (audio/mic separate 3.5 jacks in the back of motherboard) ET got flaky.

I now use SoundSwitch, which is free and was pretty easy to set up, and now I just hit Right CTRL+numpad 0 (user-defined hotkey) to switch from speakers to headset and back to speakers. It runs at startup and you can select where different hotkeys change the sound source from. I never looked deeper into it, but I think you can configure multiple sound sources by program…I’m not sure simply because I only use it to flip back and forth between headset/speakers!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

I used EarTrumpet for a few years, but when I got a new wired headset (audio/mic separate 3.5 jacks in the back of motherboard) ET got flaky.

I now use SoundSwitch, which is free and was pretty easy to set up, and now I just hit Right CTRL+numpad 0 (user-defined hotkey) to switch from speakers to headset and back to speakers. It runs at startup and you can select where different hotkeys change the sound source from. I never looked deeper into it, but I think you can configure multiple sound sources by program…I’m not sure simply because I only use it to flip back and forth between headset/speakers!

Soundswitch rules so hard and I'll never stop agreeing with people that recommend it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Falcon2001 posted:

Soundswitch rules so hard and I'll never stop agreeing with people that recommend it.

Occasionally when you “Windows update” SS will stop working, only if it’s a non-restart update. If you kill the program and restart just the program it works fine.

This is also Windows 11, and has only happened like three times since upgrading, but I did want to throw it out there in fairness! It’s still a great small-footprint program.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Windows update now insists I'm missing an update or updates that it also will not show me to download, no matter how many times I let it check for updates.

:iiam:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Javid posted:

Windows update now insists I'm missing an update or updates that it also will not show me to download, no matter how many times I let it check for updates.

:iiam:

Have you rebooted since you started getting that message?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
After a reboot, if that doesn't work try the Windows Update troubleshooter.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
While I admittedly had not rebooted that thing in A While, doing so did not resolve the weird behavior. I will mess with the troubleshooter, thanks

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Javid posted:

While I admittedly had not rebooted that thing in A While, doing so did not resolve the weird behavior. I will mess with the troubleshooter, thanks

I'd also say that you might try more than one reboot - Windows is poo poo about telling you what it's actually doing, and sometimes to complete all the updates queued it can take multiple reboots in my experience. Often with no feedback from Windows at all that you NEED to do multiple reboots.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
You can also pop winver to see what your build number is and see if it matches the latest; Running/searching for winver will do - it's built in.

Window will look similar to this

And as a frame of reference, a fully patched Windows 10 machine with August updates will be on 21H2, 19044.1889. If you are on 20H2 or 21H1 with August updates, it will be 19042/19043.1889. Anything below that major build number (19042+) will need to be updated

If you are on a lower version, I recommend running the Update Assistant against your install

Arcon fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 22, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Arcon posted:

You can also pop winver to see what your build number is and see if it matches the latest; Running/searching for winver will do - it's built in.

Window will look similar to this

And as a frame of reference, a fully patched Windows 10 machine with August updates will be on 21H2, 19044.1889. If you are on 20H2 or 21H1 with August updates, it will be 19042/19043.1889. Anything below that major build number (19042+) will need to be updated

If you are on a lower version, I recommend running the Update Assistant against your install

Good point - I forgot about them EOLing specific Windows 10 releases. I remember this coming up for someone whose Windows 10 version was EOL but the device didn't have enough storage space to update to a new version.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember this coming up for someone whose Windows 10 version was EOL

Last I heard, Win10 is being supported until 2025. Have they changed that timeline?

e: you said specific releases, got it. Do you remember which ones?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
IIRC Microsoft expects you to be on the most current version that they’ve made available to you and older versions get very limited support, like a few months at best. At least for home users, I’d assume things work differently for enterprise.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

IIRC Microsoft expects you to be on the most current version that they’ve made available to you and older versions get very limited support, like a few months at best. At least for home users, I’d assume things work differently for enterprise.

This is likely to encourage people to update because of security patches.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

Last I heard, Win10 is being supported until 2025. Have they changed that timeline?

e: you said specific releases, got it. Do you remember which ones?

CptnSarcastic is talking about a specific update version, like for example 20H2 is currently unsupported. So if you are running a machine with 20H2 or before you stopped getting updates in May, and wouldn't get any updates until you take the major update to 21H2.

If someone had zero free disk space so the update wouldn't install, this is a problem.

The Lord Bude posted:

and older versions get very limited support, like a few months at best.

While they were still doing 2 major updates per year, the spring update got 1.5 years of support and the fall update got 2 years.

Now every version update will get 2 years, unless they stop doing major version updates altogether at some point (whereupon whatever the final one is will get support until 2025).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

The Lord Bude posted:

I think the situation is quite a bit better, even Home seems to receive 18 months of support, it's just more difficult to defer the feature updates.

This page shows clearest how long different versions are supported.
https://endoflife.date/windows

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
nm, I think I know what the culprit is

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 23, 2022

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Klyith posted:

CptnSarcastic is talking about a specific update version, like for example 20H2 is currently unsupported.

Thanks for clarifying. I was scared for a minute I'd be looking at moving to Win11 sooner than I was expecting. I plan to stay with 10 (and download all "update versions" as soon as they're available to me) until 2025, after which, I may decide to buy new hardware for using 11.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have my taskbar set to auto-hide. Anyone have any idea why sometimes for no apparent reason it always pops out behind any open windows instead of on top? I've messed around with its location and such. Eventually it just starts working properly again. Google provides no relevant answers whatsoever.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mozi posted:

I have my taskbar set to auto-hide. Anyone have any idea why sometimes for no apparent reason it always pops out behind any open windows instead of on top? I've messed around with its location and such. Eventually it just starts working properly again. Google provides no relevant answers whatsoever.

I don't have mine set to hide, and occasionally the taskbar gets hidden by apps only on my second screen. Electron-based programs seem to be the main culprit. It's gotten better over the past month or so.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm only running native Windows stuff but I do switch between monitors (only one at a time) and it does tend to happen after that switch I think.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Not even sure if this is properly a Windows 10 question, but it does seem like an OS thing and that's the OS in question.

I have an old (June '00) burned CD, that isn't too beat up like most of them, but that one particular file doesn't want to come off of. It's a video file, so that's probably a single sector that doesn't even have a macroblock. What do I throw at it to get a file that's 99% right and 1% a little iffy rather than eternal ARF on that one bad sector?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mandoric posted:

Not even sure if this is properly a Windows 10 question, but it does seem like an OS thing and that's the OS in question.

I have an old (June '00) burned CD, that isn't too beat up like most of them, but that one particular file doesn't want to come off of. It's a video file, so that's probably a single sector that doesn't even have a macroblock. What do I throw at it to get a file that's 99% right and 1% a little iffy rather than eternal ARF on that one bad sector?

the gold standard for this sort of thing is the linux utility ddrescue, which is maybe-possible to run in windows but tbqh just making a linux live boot usb stick will be faster

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mandoric posted:

I've used Roadkil's unstoppable copier on disks with bad blocks before and it's managed to get everything and usually let me know what's not copying right:
https://roadkil.net/program.php/P29/Unstoppable%20Copier

It's someone's project from 2010 so the options are a little janky but it worked to recover an XP install from 2005 that had the HD die after I used the freezer trick on it. Only lost a couple of files.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've got a 2006 vintage desktop I'm trying to get off 8.1 and on 10. Upgrading from within the os fails with the message that it failed and zero information. Booting from freshly created installation media works, but it doesn't list the ssd as a target at all even though the bios definitely sees it. I'm guessing this is one of these poo poo situations where I might get through this if I can feed the installer the right driver to, I dunno, enable the sata ports or something, but I wouldn't know where to start with that or what component the driver would even be for.

Now I had the bright idea that I could try and install windows on that disk in an old laptop I have and the transfer the disk to the desktop. Any chance that works at all?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't think of a reason why you couldn't just image the install from the HDD to SSD, yeah.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's no hdd or imaging involved, but as far as I understand that would make no difference, conceptually, that you're saying it's worth a shot, right.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 4, 2022

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I would try to fix the cause- update the bios, reset to defaults, try to switch it into UEFI boot and try again. Otherwise the next big update would just fail out again?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's no hdd or imaging involved, but as far as I understand that would make no difference, conceptually, that you're saying it's worth a shot, right.

That'll teach me to read when I'm barely awake lol

Try the BIOS update like strangehamster said but yeah I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, Windows is waaaaay better about redoing the HAL when you switch hardware these days

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've got a 2006 vintage desktop I'm trying to get off 8.1 and on 10. Upgrading from within the os fails with the message that it failed and zero information. Booting from freshly created installation media works, but it doesn't list the ssd as a target at all even though the bios definitely sees it. I'm guessing this is one of these poo poo situations where I might get through this if I can feed the installer the right driver to, I dunno, enable the sata ports or something, but I wouldn't know where to start with that or what component the driver would even be for.

What you may need to do is look in the bios for SATA configuration and set it to AHCI. Many mobos of that age default to Enhanced IDE, which Win10 won't work with. After that, look for UEFI if the mobo has it.

I'd be wary of upgrading to Win10 on a different machine, because you could easily end up with an unbootable drive if the problem is big enough that the 10 installer is failing for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Now I had the bright idea that I could try and install windows on that disk in an old laptop I have and the transfer the disk to the desktop. Any chance that works at all?

This might seem basic, but windows does not see drives as targetable during installation until they are formatted correctly by windows.

Follow option 1 in the answer below.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-hard-disk-during-installation-of/cc409a0a-5c64-4fa4-951a-061b8a4215b6

Also make sure you disconnect any other drives in the system. If you have a drive with windows installed plugged in windows likes to do all sorts of fucky things.

If this isn’t it, it’s probably what kilyth said. It being a driver or BIOS update related issue is near 0.