Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sb hermit posted:

dunno why we don't have a midcal to stick SLO in

It's like a DMZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

returning to the policy that was in place since early 2020 is what i assumed since it was previously working smoothly before they decided that the downtown lunch economy was more important than my continued health

simply saying "no" to a blanket demand to return to the office for two days a week, regardless of job duties, was the expectation that frankly we all had

I think "working smoothly" makes a lot of assumptions - the last two years were pretty explicitly a holding pattern until something could be figured out with some things deteriorating (and others getting better). It's just that no one wants to figure it out hence a lot of agencies falling into the 2/week system as the path of least resistance. My agency is "everyone figure it out yourselves" and there are real concerns about equity issues if/when much-lower paid office staff under SEIU get told "4 days" and engineers are told "you guys are cool with whatever."

And your "blanket demand" isn't a blanket demand from the state, it's still up to each agency to come up with their own plan, which is good because a few of them sometimes remember that not everyone works in downtown Sacto. Sucks yours doesn't.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh sorry i wasn't clear, it's a blanket demand from our district chief

our PMs haven't been shy about who's responsible for this, it's not even agency-wide for us

a buddy of mine's over in D4, they're apparently still closed and he was shocked to hear that we were even trying to be open now

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

sb hermit posted:

We would never consent to such a region that would obviously also contain Fresno and Bakersfield . That's why there's a "Central Coast", babyyyyy :cool:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
never thought id see state of jefferson proponents in this thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VSOKUL girl posted:

never thought id see state of jefferson proponents in this thread

im not really a proponent so much as thinking it would be funny

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
wouldn't they immediately poo poo up every important watershed normal people rely on

i mean i feel that's a good assumption

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wouldn't they immediately poo poo up every important watershed normal people rely on

i mean i feel that's a good assumption

that's why it would be funny, that and rapidly learning that a proposed state of like 100k people is really hard to control when there's about 5 people voting and they're all cranks who want the government to be destroyed

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

sb hermit posted:

Despite decades of propaganda, San Francisco is in midcal. It is basically SLO to SF. They took norcal to sound contrary to socal and try to appropriate that culture.

Sorry to hear about your WFH issues HP. The management training sessions where I work are filled with managers demanding strong return to office because they don't know how to handle hybrid or work from home.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larry Parrish posted:

im not really a proponent so much as thinking it would be funny
Worked great for Prez Timpf :waycool:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Prop 26/27 advertising reaching critical mass here in LA.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I’m pretty sure both are going to be passed, so that’ll be fun to watch.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my criticism of rail in ca is that the state should have bought or eminent domained freight railroads that won't double track, electrify or in UP case let passenger trains through the pass that connects the central valley to LA.

Also get rid of grade crossings tia, my small european country got rid of about all of them and we don't even have high speed rail.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wanna see the Tehachapi Loop upgraded to take high-speed train speeds and watch everybody get flattened to the floor by the g-forces.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Celexi posted:

my criticism of rail in ca is that the state should have bought or eminent domained freight railroads that won't double track, electrify or in UP case let passenger trains through the pass that connects the central valley to LA.

Also get rid of grade crossings tia, my small european country got rid of about all of them and we don't even have high speed rail.

Yes at-grade crossings for a HSR project in 2022 is a loving tragedy

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CPColin posted:

I wanna see the Tehachapi Loop upgraded to take high-speed train speeds and watch everybody get flattened to the floor by the g-forces.

Oh, that is not what I meant, more like running the regular cal funded trains through it or higher speed trains or run the high-speed train through it very slowly until you get the tunnel built.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Yes at-grade crossings for a HSR project in 2022 is a loving tragedy

I wish we could remove all at-grade crossings for Caltrain, and in the process also eminent domain all of Atherton

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Shinkansen did away with at-grade 60 years ago.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Jaxyon posted:

I got a text from a "volunteer" for prop 27. What kind of broken individual gives their labor to Draft Kings for free?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gann Jerrod posted:

I’m pretty sure both are going to be passed, so that’ll be fun to watch.

didnt occur to me that this is possible but its very funny & i hope it transpires

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

luminalflux posted:

I wish we could remove all at-grade crossings for Caltrain, and in the process also eminent domain all of Atherton

Absolutely not. Atherton is a cesspool of the worst kind of people. Wall the whole thing off and open it up again in a year when they are all gone. Then eminent domain the whole thing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Escape from Central Bay

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Jaxyon posted:

Been getting it on Youtube for a long time... at least a month. Prop 27 in particular. Every other ad is Prop 27 pretty much.

Celexi posted:

When I drive into Fresno, there's one at Herndon near the exit/entrance to 99 that's horrendous. If Fresno doesn't get an underpass or overpass out of HSR thing then city done poorly negotiated. Also get rid of the one on Shaw by 99. But also just all of them.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Y'all don't like to sit and do the mental math of how long this drat train must be that you're waiting 10 minutes at a crossing?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

anyway, here's what our bargaining unit brought back to us:

lol. annual raises are 3% this year and 2% next year, no inflation adjustment whatsoever. we were asking for 10%

Late to the party but our unit (CAPS) failed to reach an agreement at all before the recess, and now we're shut out. Oh well, maybe next year!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol. annual raises are 3% this year and 2% next year, no inflation adjustment whatsoever. we were asking for 10%

$98 billion dollar surplus btw

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

$98 billion dollar surplus btw

You ain't gonna maintain a surplus if you give reasonable COLAs and raises to staff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shareholders are going to shut that kind of poo poo down.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tayter Swift posted:

Late to the party but our unit (CAPS) failed to reach an agreement at all before the recess, and now we're shut out. Oh well, maybe next year!

i don't want to be too down on the caps negotiating team, because lord knows i'm not a negotiating expert and it's a hard job, but maybe they shouldn't have been blindsided by their pitch for raises being met with a "no" from the state, and had a plan b ready

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Strike

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kenning posted:

You ain't gonna maintain a surplus if you give reasonable COLAs and raises to staff.

What's your definition of a reasonable COLA/raise? Like in dollar amounts - is a $3,300 raise every year for three years a good raise package?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

To be clear, that was sarcasm. I think the state is being chintzy with its raises the way everyone is, and is probably citing the uncertainty of COVID as an excuse, despite good revenues. As for my numbers, they don't matter, because I'm not in the system – I suspect the employee union probably has a better idea than me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kenning posted:

To be clear, that was sarcasm. I think the state is being chintzy with its raises the way everyone is, and is probably citing the uncertainty of COVID as an excuse, despite good revenues. As for my numbers, they don't matter, because I'm not in the system – I suspect the employee union probably has a better idea than me.

But the union is recommending the proposed contract and doesn't appear to be suggesting that the raises are chintzy, so why do you think the state is being so?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Zachack posted:

But the union is recommending the proposed contract and doesn't appear to be suggesting that the raises are chintzy, so why do you think the state is being so?
some unions are lovely :ssh:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kenning posted:

our union also claimed that we don't have any kinda problems with hiring or attrition

impending mass retirements and ineffective gigantic hiring pushes notwithstanding, apparently

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
BTW you're probably all aware but just in case we're supposed to fuckin' bake this weekend, at least in NorCal.

I saw 111F pop up for Sunday in Sacramento and not even the Bay is forecast to be spared. Be safe please goons.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

cat botherer posted:

some unions are lovely :ssh:

And some aren't, do you have any supporting evidence for your post that implies the union in this case is lovely?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

3% annual raises are dogshit my dude, especially in the absence of a COLA during a big inflationary period.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tayter Swift posted:

BTW you're probably all aware but just in case we're supposed to fuckin' bake this weekend, at least in NorCal.

I saw 111F pop up for Sunday in Sacramento and not even the Bay is forecast to be spared. Be safe please goons.

I'm gonna ride my bike to Avila Beach and dunk my head in the 54° water :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kenning posted:

3% annual raises are dogshit my dude, especially in the absence of a COLA during a big inflationary period.

Wouldn't a percentage raise being good or bad depend entirely on the starting dollar value? Hence my question of what you consider a good dollar amount.