Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have absolutely no idea, but if this is a really novel marketing strategy for your movie, it's loving working like a charm.

I wanna watch the absolute poo poo out of whatever this is.

How likely would you be to go see this movie in theaters with 2 or more friends?:
a.) Very Likely
b.) Somewhat Likely
c.) Likely
d.) Definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I found it!! Lone Star State of Mind (2002)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

John Mellencamp was in that movie?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This is all just viral marketing for a 2002 film on a dead gay forum

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Analytic Engine posted:

The opening scene is a US family looking for a quarter in their yard with a metal detector. They find one and use it to run the coin-operated TV in their living room for a few minutes. Also, maybe someone works at Sizzler later in the movie? That's all I remember, probably 1990-1999

That would be the surrealist counter-culture comedy group Firesign Theatre's Nick Danger in The Case of the Missing Yolk (1983) (timestamped at the scene you're remembering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcm8tsuubPg&t=331s

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A claymation movie/tv show/youtube video (?) and all I remember is a brown worm creature chewing/munching something and his mouth is chewing very animatedly. I cant remember if there was actually something in its mouth or it was just fake chewing.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kvlt! posted:

A claymation movie/tv show/youtube video (?) and all I remember is a brown worm creature chewing/munching something and his mouth is chewing very animatedly. I cant remember if there was actually something in its mouth or it was just fake chewing.

Maybe from Creature Comforts? I don't specifically remember a worm but I've also never seen the series, only the short film. Wikipedia does mention a worm in the TV show.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

DoombatINC posted:

That would be the surrealist counter-culture comedy group Firesign Theatre's Nick Danger in The Case of the Missing Yolk (1983) (timestamped at the scene you're remembering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcm8tsuubPg&t=331s

lmao that's too perfect, thanks! My parents are huge FST fans and must have rented this on video

"Look at that pyramid opening up!"
"Which one?"
"The one with the ever-widening hole in it."

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Allyn posted:

Maybe from Creature Comforts? I don't specifically remember a worm but I've also never seen the series, only the short film. Wikipedia does mention a worm in the TV show.

That wasnt it, but researching that movie led me to find what I was looking for so thank you!

It was this youtube video: https://youtu.be/nv4yruWX7HI

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I have a serious one that’s haunted me for at least 30 years. It was a VHS tape being played in a video store in my childhood, and a clerk had put on a horror movie. All I remember what appeared to be shot at night, where somebody’s head exploded in the rain, in slow motion. Anybody got an idea?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kvlt! posted:

That wasnt it, but researching that movie led me to find what I was looking for so thank you!

It was this youtube video: https://youtu.be/nv4yruWX7HI

I'm certain there is someone on these forums that has that chewing thing as an avatar

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hasturtium posted:

I have a serious one that’s haunted me for at least 30 years. It was a VHS tape being played in a video store in my childhood, and a clerk had put on a horror movie. All I remember what appeared to be shot at night, where somebody’s head exploded in the rain, in slow motion. Anybody got an idea?

There's a pretty famous night time slow mo head explosion in Maniac (1980). No rain, tho.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hasturtium posted:

Head explosions are a specialty of Scanners. Probably not what you're looking for but it is a classic.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Fundamental 80s head explosion also happened in Deadly Friend but it's indoors.

Found this delightful compilation but I doubt any are the one you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8vTl-ZVayc

Edit: Holy crap, this is probably all of the head explosions. Like comprehensive. If it's in there, there's a comment about a dozen down that lists all 150 movies represented.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHaaajT71M

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

This is going to be a reverse post, but I have been thinking of this snippet of tv show I saw back when I was a wee lad. It was a British kid looking at a little mechanical device and an adult asks him what it is and he said says something along the lines of it being an extraterrestrial communication device or—the mechanical device has two scissor arms protruding that snap shut—a very painful pimple remover.

Had no context for this scene at all except maybe the vague feeling they were on the run.

The other day on twitter, the creator of the Station Eleven miniseries was riffing on a show from youth he couldn’t remember and someone brought up Chocky and everything snapped into place for me

Between this tweet and this thread reminding me of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, I think all of my loose thread memories have been tied off

https://twitter.com/benpmorin/status/1561299264420052993?s=21&t=CeK23mkNOspJZgj69XpGMw

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I saw a movie trailer at a movie theater last week in thailand. I think its a thai movie. It’s about a girl, who looks like she’s 11 or 12, who falls in love with an old man, who’s like in his 70’s. I’m pretty sure its a rip off of harold and maude, except its humor is cutesy instead of dark. But i’d like to show the trailer to a friend but wasn’t able to find out the name of it.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 31, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This article is some listicle bullshit, but it’s also got at least a decent selection of Thailand’s cinematic offerings for 2022. Probably in there maybe? Nothing seemed overtly Harold and Maude-y, but it could be a segment in Jai Fuu Story or maybe they edited the trailer for The Anatomy of Time really weird and then also inexplicably put it in front of a movie months after its release. Idk I’m just trying to be vaguely helpful.

On the upside of going through an entire list of Thai films, now I have some loving dope as hell horror movies to look forward to.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Are you sure it was a trailer? Thai commercials go HARD

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

I saw a movie trailer at a movie theater last week in thailand. I think its a thai movie. It’s about a girl, who looks like she’s 11 or 12, who falls in love with an old man, who’s like in his 70’s. I’m pretty sure its a rip off of harold and maude, except its humor is cutesy instead of dark. But i’d like to show the trailer to a friend but wasn’t able to find out the name of it.

Does the movie theater have a website or such?
As it may have the trailer or the movie itself on it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My wife and I were talking about movie covers we remember seeing in the video store as kids and being interested/scared of them, and I'm trying to identify 2:

A man's head is the stem/crown of a pocket watch and it's being twisted, I was thinking it was Eddie Murphy in Boomerang, but looking up covers/posters of Boomerang I don't see it.

The second is a horror bowling alley movie? where there's a zombie/monster woman in a blue crop top in the foreground. This was in the 90s and definitely predates Gutterballs (2008)

Edit: a friend identified the second one, it's

Sorority Babes in the Slime Bowl-O-Rama

https://letterboxd.com/film/sorority-babes-in-the-slimeball-bowl-o-rama/

Arcella fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 1, 2022

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Does the movie theater have a website or such?
As it may have the trailer or the movie itself on it.

Thanks, I was able to find it that way.

For anyone curious, this is the trailer, that's unlisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMgRbn6_KYQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Arcella posted:

My wife and I were talking about movie covers we remember seeing in the video store as kids and being interested/scared of them, and I'm trying to identify 2:

A man's head is the stem/crown of a pocket watch and it's being twisted, I was thinking it was Eddie Murphy in Boomerang, but looking up covers/posters of Boomerang I don't see it.

The second is a horror bowling alley movie? where there's a zombie/monster woman in a blue crop top in the foreground. This was in the 90s and definitely predates Gutterballs (2008)

Edit: a friend identified the second one, it's

Sorority Babes in the Slime Bowl-O-Rama

https://letterboxd.com/film/sorority-babes-in-the-slimeball-bowl-o-rama/

?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

That’s it! Thanks!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arcella posted:

My wife and I were talking about movie covers we remember seeing in the video store as kids and being interested/scared of them, and I'm trying to identify 2:[/url]

Just so you can get the full video store experience, here's the back of the boxes so you can read the blurbs

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks, I was able to find it that way.

For anyone curious, this is the trailer, that's unlisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMgRbn6_KYQ

holy heck

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I thought this was Adam Scott for a minute and was super confused

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I know the film, but that looks amazingly like David Byrne.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just so you can get the full video store experience, here's the back of the boxes so you can read the blurbs

lol that Scorcese put Cheech and Chong in his movie

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

See I knew the VHS cover had under boob!

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
Been trying to place this movie for a long time, sadly I only caught the end scenes on TV so I'm completely dependent on someone knowing the ending:

-Horror film, very likely zombie or something equivalent to zombies
-Very 1970s/1980s feel w/r/t film grain, color palette, pacing, music
-Very Romero or Carpenter feel, but neither of their filmographies have an obvious choice
-The final scene takes place on some kind of military train or tracked vehicle with artillery guns on it, and the film ends on the artillery firing at a city (I think) and causing at least a mushroom cloud or perhaps a nuclear explosion. I want to say that there was a protagonist trying to stop the artillery from firing, or perhaps trying to make sure the artillery fired due to everyone else being dead. There was definitely a feeling of racing to the fire control area and a feeling of let down / downer ending as the scene ended/credits rolled.

This makes me think of potentially the original The Crazies, but the plot description (on wiki, anyway) doesn't quite align with my memory of the final scene as it sounds like that film used bombers to deliver weapons to the infected area (as did the remake).

In all likelihood I have looked right past an obvious choice, but it would be great to know what film I saw!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Return of the Living Dead.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
A male character punches another male character, in the presence of other people. Amid the gasps, the puncher says "That was long overdue!"

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'

Detective Thompson posted:

Return of the Living Dead.

Thank you! I kept always thinking it would be Day of the Dead and it never quite lining up.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

It's pretty great. Don't know if it's streaming for free anywhere, but it's worth a rental at least, if not a purchase if you really like it.

Edit: Just had a random memory of a WW2 film I saw a long time ago. I think it's probably from the late-50s/early-60s, pretty sure it was B&W. I think it was set in Africa, and showed scenes from both Germans and allied soldiers (can't remember if they were Brits or Americans). The one scene in my head is probably later in the film, two German soldiers are talking, and one of them is fed up with everything and starts insulting Hitler or something like that. The other German kills him, and I have this image of the dead man rolling down a sand dune.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 4, 2022

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've had a snippet of dialogue in my head for days now - someone prefaces a question with "I was wondering if you could tell me, I mean, that is if you know..." and I can't figure it out. I feel like it's not from something recent but I'm so close to remembering what it is that it's probably something I've watched a bunch and so might be really obvious.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

It's pretty great. Don't know if it's streaming for free anywhere, but it's worth a rental at least, if not a purchase if you really like it.

Edit: Just had a random memory of a WW2 film I saw a long time ago. I think it's probably from the late-50s/early-60s, pretty sure it was B&W. I think it was set in Africa, and showed scenes from both Germans and allied soldiers (can't remember if they were Brits or Americans). The one scene in my head is probably later in the film, two German soldiers are talking, and one of them is fed up with everything and starts insulting Hitler or something like that. The other German kills him, and I have this image of the dead man rolling down a sand dune.

Maybe Sahara?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QM6sUHGhM

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 4, 2022

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

It’s not in B&W, but there’s a scene exactly like this in The Big Red One.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Yeah, that's it. Obviously got some details wrong, like the arguing soldiers not being both German and especially with it being a film actually made during the war. Thanks.

SaintFu posted:

It’s not in B&W, but there’s a scene exactly like this in The Big Red One.

Not it, but I haven't seen this in a long time either and I think it might have a scene that also popped into my head awhile back. American soldiers are moving into an Italian village after killing the German soldiers there and the women of the village start hacking up the bodies of German soldiers with farming implements. Is that from Big Red One?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Not it, but I haven't seen this in a long time either and I think it might have a scene that also popped into my head awhile back. American soldiers are moving into an Italian village after killing the German soldiers there and the women of the village start hacking up the bodies of German soldiers with farming implements. Is that from Big Red One?
Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Yeah, that's it. Obviously got some details wrong, like the arguing soldiers not being both German and especially with it being a film actually made during the war. Thanks.

I know this is going to sound weird, but Jim Belushi starred in a really good remake of Sahara