Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whoops looks like I broke a game by dual booting yet again. May need to reimage and start from scratch because an “uninstall” didn’t fix it lmao.

One day I will stop messing with this thing and just play games. It won’t be anytime soon

Good news, I found the issue and unfucked things up. Folks, if you’re going to be using a BTFRFS formatted SD card while dual booting, either turn off auto updates or don’t link the steamapp folder between operating systems. While Windows can read and run SteamOS installed games no problem, SteamOS is VERY loving PICKY about files and folders created/edited by Windows. I wasn’t paying attention and I got an update for a game (originally installed in SteamOS) while I was in Windows. This uh… did not play well with the game. Or SteamOS. At all.

I had to nuke the steam apps folder on SteamOS to fix it which meant redownloading everything (just to be safe). So yeah, just keep separate folders/storage and don’t try to be clever by having a unified steam apps directory for all your games.

I imagine should Valve ever come up with an official dual boot solution some of these issues may be addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Atomizer posted:

This made me remember something: I think we have 60 Hz as a standard refresh rate going back to NTSC/System M (in that case, it was the field rate due to interlacing) because our electrical grid uses 60 Hz AC as the line frequency, and synchronizing those values was used to prevent intermodulation; similarly, PAL/SECAM/System B/G regions were 50 Hz due to their grid's frequency.
System M was 60 Hz, and System B (and many others) were 50 Hz as you said, since filtering out AC noise was difficult with 1930s electronics. When NTSC (color) was introduced the field rate was decreased by 1000/1001 (59.94 Hz) due to "math" to optimize the line rate and chroma carrier while keeping the audio carrier the same for compatibility. Ironically, analog televisions tolerated a good amount of variation in scan rates even though the broadcast standards were pretty strict, and now with digital systems 1080p59.94 and 1080p60 are very different things (and why both options exist).

48 Hz exists because it's twice the standard film frame rate of 24 fps.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
What are you using, WinBtrfs?

That sounds sketchy as gently caress tbh.

What uid/gid does Windows create files with and with what mode?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

What are you using, WinBtrfs?

That sounds sketchy as gently caress tbh.

What uid/gid does Windows create files with and with what mode?

This is how I formatted the SD card (on SteamOS) to BTRFS. It appears they have archived this and linked to a possibly better solution here. will have to check this out later.

And yeah WinBtrfs is what I used to mount/use the SD card on Windows.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

TwoDeer posted:

What sort of control scheme are you using for Stalker ?

Nothing overly complex. Using the default WASD + mouse layout, put 1-8 on the left touchpad as a wheel. Inventory and ESC on the backplate buttons.

You really don't need that many buttons with Anomaly.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm ordering my 512gb now but I will be spending the next week thinking about if I want to keep it or not. If anyone wants to send me a PM, If I decide I don't need it I can send it to another goon. I am in Canada so maybe a bit of shipping to cover but that's it besides cost.

I can't believe I'm still waffling but I haven't had the chance to have one in my hands.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

Yes, but I'm:

A: an Apple user
B: old
C: decrepit

so I want the larger screen and built in controller.

Get yourself a new Microsoft Surface Pro and connect a Razer Kishi via Bluetooth. Try this poo poo and report back with your results:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes, but I'm:

A: an Apple user
B: old
C: decrepit

so I want the larger screen and built in controller.

GPD win Max 2 then.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

MarcusSA posted:

GPD win Max 2 then.

A tiny laptop with controller nubs added to the top so it's awkward to hold and awkward to use for....3 times the price. What a deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A tiny laptop with controller nubs added to the top so it's awkward to hold and awkward to use for....3 times the price. What a deal.

I have the Max and it’s actually not that awkward. You’d think it would be but it works surprisingly well.

Also it’s not really 3x the price lol. It’s $999 so not quite double. It also has a 10 inch screen.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is how I formatted the SD card (on SteamOS) to BTRFS. It appears they have archived this and linked to a possibly better solution here. will have to check this out later.

And yeah WinBtrfs is what I used to mount/use the SD card on Windows.

I wouldn't exactly trust the Windows implementation, but the problems you described sounds like the Windows-mounted btrfs file system doesn't have the correct uid/gid mapping, so the files written on windows have the wrong permissions. That's the most obvious problem at least.

I still wouldn't share the same Steam library between OS', that's just asking for weird trouble.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

that steam deck sure looks cool. Should i get the cheap model and run games from an SD card or get a more expensive one? What are the wait times looking like in canada? is it easy or hard to get it connected wirelessly to my switch pro controller and dumb TV?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Antigravitas posted:

I wouldn't exactly trust the Windows implementation, but the problems you described sounds like the Windows-mounted btrfs file system doesn't have the correct uid/gid mapping, so the files written on windows have the wrong permissions. That's the most obvious problem at least.

I still wouldn't share the same Steam library between OS', that's just asking for weird trouble.

I've used WinBtrfs for a while and reading is fine but writing ended up corrupting a bunch of files for me irreversibly.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mescal posted:

Should i get the cheap model and run games from an SD card or get a more expensive one?
Everyone is going to have different opinions on this, but I think for most people the 256 GB model is the sweet spot. You'll probably be installing games to SD card anyways, but games will take up an average of 1 GB of internal storage for shaders and "compatdata" even if the game contents are on SD. That limits how much you can have installed on the 64 GB model even with a SD card. Although, if you know you're going to replace the internal SSD with an aftermarket one anyways, sure, go for that.

Mescal posted:

is it easy or hard to get it connected wirelessly to my switch pro controller and dumb TV?
The Pro Controller works fine on it. To connect to your TV you'll need to buy a USB-C hub. I have the Anker 555, but regardless of which one make sure it supports 4K @ 60 Hz.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Good news, I found the issue and unfucked things up. Folks, if you’re going to be using a BTFRFS formatted SD card while dual booting, either turn off auto updates or don’t link the steamapp folder between operating systems. While Windows can read and run SteamOS installed games no problem, SteamOS is VERY loving PICKY about files and folders created/edited by Windows. I wasn’t paying attention and I got an update for a game (originally installed in SteamOS) while I was in Windows. This uh… did not play well with the game. Or SteamOS. At all.

I had to nuke the steam apps folder on SteamOS to fix it which meant redownloading everything (just to be safe). So yeah, just keep separate folders/storage and don’t try to be clever by having a unified steam apps directory for all your games.

I imagine should Valve ever come up with an official dual boot solution some of these issues may be addressed.

This whole thing sounds sketchy but can you just disable updates in the Window's Steam config and just have Linux do the updating?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Mescal posted:

that steam deck sure looks cool. Should i get the cheap model and run games from an SD card or get a more expensive one? What are the wait times looking like in canada? is it easy or hard to get it connected wirelessly to my switch pro controller and dumb TV?

They're still hard to get, but they're really ramping up production. I placed my order in May and I'm on track to get mine before the end of September. You can always pay the "fee" and buy one from someone on FBM or eBay. I'd personally do local pickup from FBM if you want to go that way so you can verify it's A: real and B: works before you fork over money.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lockback posted:

This whole thing sounds sketchy but can you just disable updates in the Window's Steam config and just have Linux do the updating?

That’d be the safe way but I’m just keeping things separate from now on. There’s no real reason for me to want to play the same game on either OS outside of novelty factor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

lol you made this thread and never ordered one?

Also the base model has the best price to performance ratio imo. Just get a 512 SD card and call it good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PC gamer thinks the Deck will get a revision at some point.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-confirms-there-will-be-next-gen-steam-decks-more-open-and-more-capable-than-the-first-version/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

PC gamer thinks the Deck will get a revision at some point.
Valve basically put out a PR that says as much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good, I'll buy it!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'll pick one up every like 3 or 4 years, sure.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Would be neat to somehow get some modular hardware update stuff and you could like jam in extra ram or whatever but I guess you might as well be doing a PC then.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zurtilik posted:

I'll pick one up every like 3 or 4 years, sure.

It'll be available 2026, and the first wave will go out 2024.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just wanna be able to put the inevitable OLED update screen on my current one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Animal posted:

I just wanna be able to put the inevitable OLED update screen on my current one

yeah

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We've taken a lot of feedback from you, the discerning gamers, and are proud to introduce the Steam Deck 2!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So far the biggest gripe I have with is that the on-screen keyboard in desktop sometimes does not recognize (?) my touch input. Anyone got the same issue? Like, it shows that the button is pressed but doesn't write it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

We've taken a lot of feedback from you, the discerning gamers, and are proud to introduce the Steam Deck 2!

Finally some drat cupholders on this thing.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

oops

Animal fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 26, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Michaellaneous posted:

So far the biggest gripe I have with is that the on-screen keyboard in desktop sometimes does not recognize (?) my touch input. Anyone got the same issue? Like, it shows that the button is pressed but doesn't write it.
Yes, the on screen keyboard drops inputs like a one-armed epileptic juggling chainsaws under a disco ball, in both gaming and desktop modes, it is the worst on screen keyboard made for nearly two decades, and it has still not been fixed

But hey it's skinnable

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

They're still hard to get, but they're really ramping up production. I placed my order in May and I'm on track to get mine before the end of September. You can always pay the "fee" and buy one from someone on FBM or eBay. I'd personally do local pickup from FBM if you want to go that way so you can verify it's A: real and B: works before you fork over money.

I just placed my pre-order this week and am at 44.6%. No clue when that means I'm getting it though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

uh

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 26, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

F.D. Signifier posted:

Yes, the on screen keyboard drops inputs like a one-armed epileptic juggling chainsaws under a disco ball, in both gaming and desktop modes, it is the worst on screen keyboard made for nearly two decades, and it has still not been fixed

But hey it's skinnable

i really wish we had an option to go back to the steam controller keyboard. i got very good at that one.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

oops, fixed

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Proceed... but watch your watch, counsellor.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

These two are really easy to set up and extremely good.

Running the Jak & Daxter native port "OpenGOAL" on Steam Deck:

Switch to Desktop Mode.

Download and extract the latest normal linux release: https://github.com/open-goal/jak-project/releases

Rename your self-ripped Jack and Daxter ISO from "Jak and Daxter - The Precursor Legacy (USA) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).iso" to "jak1.iso"

Move jak1.iso to the same spot as the files "gk" and "extractor".

Right-click an empty space next to those files and click Open Terminal.

Type './extractor jak1.iso' and press Enter. The game will start.

Press the Y button. Change settings here if you want now.

In the graphics options, set resolution to 16:10.

Close the game.

That file gk will now start the game. Add it to your Steam library as a non-Steam game.

Rename the game to "Jak and Daxter - The Precursor Legacy" and add icon+cover art if you wish.

Close everything and return to Gaming Mode. The game runs flawlessly with the default controller layout.

Running the Ocarina of Time native port "Ship of Harkinian" on Steam Deck:

Switch to Desktop Mode.

Follow the discord link here: https://github.com/HarbourMasters/Shipwright

Download the latest Linux release.

Extract SOH-Linux.AppImage somewhere.

Download Ocarina of Time Gamecube Proto (Non Master Quest) from archive.org: https://archive.org/details/ZELOOTD

Extract the file and rename it from "ZELOOTD.z64" to "OOT_PAL_GC_DBG1.z64".

Place the .z64 file next to the SOH-Linux.AppImage file.

Add SOH-Linux.AppImage to your Steam Library as a Non-Steam Game.

Rename the game "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" add icon+cover art if you wish.

Close everything and return to Game Mode.

Before running the game, browse community controller layouts. Look for mine with "Steam Deck" and "ShipofHarkinian" in the title.

Launch the game. Press L5 for the menu (bottom paddle), R5 to enable true Fullscreen, and use the right trackpad for mouse. When you're happy with the settings feel free to remap or switch layouts.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 30, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Two questions:

1/ not to wrap around to battery chat, but I remember reading somewhere in here that if you leave your battery on charge overnight, it won't do damage to the battery because even when on sleep mode, the deck discharges down to 80%? y/n?

2/ is there any way to stop the "you are logged in somewhere else, please re-enter your credentials" on the main pc, I've got an idle game running basically 24/7 so having to log back in and re-enter my steam guard password every time I turn on my deck is aggravating.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tithin posted:

2/ is there any way to stop the "you are logged in somewhere else, please re-enter your credentials" on the main pc, I've got an idle game running basically 24/7 so having to log back in and re-enter my steam guard password every time I turn on my deck is aggravating.

Yeah it won't do this if you aren't running a game on your main PC.

They should update steam so you can have a main PC and the deck as a secondary and not have this issue but I'm not sure they'd ever do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Any tips on Fable 3? Ive followed the reddit instructions but get stuck on step 4 of 4 for installation. Running fablelauncher.exe as a non-steam game seems to work but I can't get the main install to continue.