Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

tithin posted:

Two questions:

1/ not to wrap around to battery chat, but I remember reading somewhere in here that if you leave your battery on charge overnight, it won't do damage to the battery because even when on sleep mode, the deck discharges down to 80%? y/n?

I posted that. It’s not overnight. But definitely if you don’t touch it for several days in a row it will eventually set 80% as the new max until you mess with it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bum the Sad posted:

I posted that. It’s not overnight. But definitely if you don’t touch it for several days in a row it will eventually set 80% as the new max until you mess with it again.

Ah cool - I just didn't want to leave it on charge overnight while I was asleep and damage the battery is all

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

lol you made this thread and never ordered one?

Also the base model has the best price to performance ratio imo. Just get a 512 SD card and call it good.

Yeah, I've wanted one since they were announced, but I didn't need one until the laptop gave up the ghost, and I'm kinda sharing the other PC. I only made this thread because the steam thread turned into the steam deck thread for about 20 pages. Maybe I'll be able to give it a real OP!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zurtilik posted:

Would be neat to somehow get some modular hardware update stuff and you could like jam in extra ram or whatever but I guess you might as well be doing a PC then.

It's interesting because Framework is a laptop manufacturer that just jumped on the scene and they offer all of their parts for sale online, it's all modular. The whole point is that everything could be upgraded and swapped down the line as technology advances, if Valve could get the Deck to the point where I'm just swapping parts and Frankensteining a device together like LEGO for the rest of my life I would be in loving heaven.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Picked up my Deck from my package locker when I got home from work. This thing is great and it's wild how well it feels in the hands. Of course I already put in the 1TB SSD months ago.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1563425075939856384

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

50Hz is definitely for PAL content, all my monitors in Ireland have had it as an option.

Out of curiosity, is 50 Hz the default display resolution for monitors sold in your region, or is it merely an option with 60 Hz as default?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know they wouldn't run high end games, but no Steam support was one of the main reasons I've never considered getting a Chromebook.

This is potentially huge.

I've been a Chromebook user for several years and feel the opposite way. Gaming is one of the few things that I can't [effectively] do on ChromeOS; most everything else nowadays you can do on a Chromebook. I still have Windows machines, but they're primarily just for gaming (kind of like how you'd still buy consoles for that purpose and be satisfied without being overly concerned about their limitations.) Not to turn this into the (admittedly fairly sleepy) Chromebook thread, but there are far more reasons to use ChromeOS than not. I'll leave it at that in this thread.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

System M was 60 Hz, and System B (and many others) were 50 Hz as you said, since filtering out AC noise was difficult with 1930s electronics. When NTSC (color) was introduced the field rate was decreased by 1000/1001 (59.94 Hz) due to "math" to optimize the line rate and chroma carrier while keeping the audio carrier the same for compatibility. Ironically, analog televisions tolerated a good amount of variation in scan rates even though the broadcast standards were pretty strict, and now with digital systems 1080p59.94 and 1080p60 are very different things (and why both options exist).

48 Hz exists because it's twice the standard film frame rate of 24 fps.

My only additional thoughts regarding the film framerate thing are that:
- Telecine and pulldown techniques have existed for a long time, and although not perfect, make film viewable as video and thus negate the requirement to have a 24 fps framerate (I mean you're not viewing film on a video monitor.)
- Widescreen/ultrawide (i.e. not merely HD/16:9) displays that have aspect ratios approaching those of typical ~2:1 film aren't even all that common nowadays; I can't imagine 48 Hz existing solely because of 24 fps film so that people can more smoothly watch aggressively letterboxed (or horribly cropped/zoomed) films on their 4:3 CRTs or whatever (depending on how long 48 Hz has been an intentionally selected monitor refresh rate.)

I'll add that I'm not disagreeing with you here, I'm genuinely interested in the topic and merely trying to add to the discussion, although it's somewhat off-topic so we can drop it.

Heran Bago posted:

Get yourself a new Microsoft Surface Pro and connect a Razer Kishi via Bluetooth. Try this poo poo and report back with your results:

I know this is a joke, but the Kishi is a USB controller; the Junglecat is Bluetooth. It would make a lot more sense to just use the tablet propped up on a stand and connect any BT controller.

beep-beep car is go posted:

A tiny laptop with controller nubs added to the top so it's awkward to hold and awkward to use for....3 times the price. What a deal.

MarcusSA posted:

I have the Max and it’s actually not that awkward. You’d think it would be but it works surprisingly well.

Also it’s not really 3x the price lol. It’s $999 so not quite double. It also has a 10 inch screen.

I have the original Win Max and it's a bit awkward as a handheld. It's nice that it has the option to be used that way, but there's a reason most of the gaming handhelds have the Switch/Vita/Dreck style.

I agree that it's definitely overpriced just as a gaming device; you're paying a premium for the addition of an ultraportable laptop and lack of competition in that niche.

Mescal posted:

that steam deck sure looks cool. Should i get the cheap model and run games from an SD card or get a more expensive one? What are the wait times looking like in canada? is it easy or hard to get it connected wirelessly to my switch pro controller and dumb TV?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Everyone is going to have different opinions on this, but I think for most people the 256 GB model is the sweet spot. You'll probably be installing games to SD card anyways, but games will take up an average of 1 GB of internal storage for shaders and "compatdata" even if the game contents are on SD. That limits how much you can have installed on the 64 GB model even with a SD card. Although, if you know you're going to replace the internal SSD with an aftermarket one anyways, sure, go for that.

Fortunately, every model has the same performance, and of course the internal storage is the most significant (but not only) difference between them. In the end, I agree with Blarg in that:
- I would bet that everyone is going to add an SD card regardless of the model they get, and
- The 256 version is the most realistic "default" model.

On that last point, it's specifically because the price differences between the models isn't particularly worth it compared to what the storage devices themselves cost, and particularly because doing the upgrade yourself is very doable. So if you really want 512 GB or more then it makes the most financial sense to get the 64 model and upgrade it (it's like $50 for a 512 GB pull on eBay versus $200+ for the 512 model albeit with a few other differences.)

The 256 model is then for people who don't necessarily want to do the internal SSD upgrade but are more than happy with the limitations of microSD cards. The 512 model is for us who don't care and want the top version and may even be buying more than one Dreck.... :ssh:

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

sigher posted:

It's interesting because Framework is a laptop manufacturer that just jumped on the scene and they offer all of their parts for sale online, it's all modular. The whole point is that everything could be upgraded and swapped down the line as technology advances, if Valve could get the Deck to the point where I'm just swapping parts and Frankensteining a device together like LEGO for the rest of my life I would be in loving heaven.

This is a nice idea but in practice even where PC parts are completely modular you still end upgrading the whole thing after a few minor upgrades due to changes in underlying architectures, bus speeds, form factors and so on.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It's so minor but god dammit. Being able to play Shin Megami Tensei III HD made this purchase worth it somehow... :allears:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Definitely not the default normally w/r/t 50hz in PAL but back in the day I definitely remember changing a monitor or two from 50 to 60. Haven’t seen it in years though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

sigher posted:

The Valve Ship of Theseus, brand new product on the market!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Definitely not the default normally w/r/t 50hz in PAL but back in the day I definitely remember changing a monitor or two from 50 to 60. Haven’t seen it in years though.

50hz was mostly a thing in the pre-HD era, games had to be 'ported' to run on 50hz PAL systems. Some developers did a good job with it and games ran identically to how they did in NTSC territories, but many just ran slower and at a different resolution, some games had a little bit of letterboxing at times. TVs later on started to be able to do 60hz, I remember some games in the GameCube era having options to run in 60hz mode, and some (like Metroid Prime 2) required a 60hz capable TV and didn't have 50hz modes.

Once TVs got flat and HD, it stopped being a thing. I think all TVs you can buy now can run in 60hz.

An example of games running slower in Europe, here's Green Hill Zone from Sonic 1 as it's supposed to sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-i8HYi1QH0

And here's how it sounded in Europe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ErBf409Dk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
yeah I’m a child of the ps1 era, it had loads of poo poo PAL ports

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

50hz is absolutely still a thing in PAL territories, HD television is still broadcast at that frame rate so all TVs sold inherently support it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yes, 50 Hz isn't going anywhere for broadcast television. Between legacy feeds still being available and archival footage that doesn't covert to 60 well, it's here to stay.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Atomizer posted:

Telecine and pulldown techniques have existed for a long time, and although not perfect, make film viewable as video and thus negate the requirement to have a 24 fps framerate.
24 (or 23.976) fps has been around in video since at least DVD days since it's more bandwidth efficient to store progressive frames and apply 3:2 pulldown as needed. Similarly, in the early days of HD (before 1080p60) sets supporting 1080p24 were could display film content within same bandwidth as 1080i60 and looked significantly better due to the lack of jitter and not having to deal with interlaced fields.

In PAL territories film was just sped up to 25 fps, which is fine for most people but drives anyone with perfect pitch nuts.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Veotax posted:

50hz was mostly a thing in the pre-HD era, games had to be 'ported' to run on 50hz PAL systems. Some developers did a good job with it and games ran identically to how they did in NTSC territories, but many just ran slower and at a different resolution, some games had a little bit of letterboxing at times. TVs later on started to be able to do 60hz, I remember some games in the GameCube era having options to run in 60hz mode, and some (like Metroid Prime 2) required a 60hz capable TV and didn't have 50hz modes.

Once TVs got flat and HD, it stopped being a thing. I think all TVs you can buy now can run in 60hz.

An example of games running slower in Europe, here's Green Hill Zone from Sonic 1 as it's supposed to sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-i8HYi1QH0

And here's how it sounded in Europe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ErBf409Dk

Oh drat hearing it slower was nostalgic in the weirdest way. The megadrive was the first system we had after our drat Spectrum +2. We were *blown away*.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

These two are really easy to set up and extremely good.

Running the Jak & Daxter native port "OpenGOAL" on Steam Deck:

Running the Ocarina of Time native port "Ship of Harkinian" on Steam Deck:

I got SM64ex and Render96 going. Gorgeous and running perfectly. The default controls in Game Mode fit. It used to launch to a black screen but after some fiddling now it's just flawless.
Since it's so much more complicated to set up than those other two, I won't write a step-by-step for it.

Next to try is probably Link to the Past or Sonic 1&2, but I'm already happy with the widescreen hacks+emulators for those.

Question about vocabulary: what's the difference between these "decompilation" sort of ports and "wrapper" or "rewrite" ones like OpenLara for Tomb Raider and RVGL for Re-Volt? Is there somewhere I can find a big list of the latter?

E: found a list:
https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_engine_recreations_and_source_ports
Is anyone particularly interested in one of these on a Deck?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 27, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, 50 Hz isn't going anywhere for broadcast television. Between legacy feeds still being available and archival footage that doesn't covert to 60 well, it's here to stay.

Fair enough, I was mostly talking about with games. I know gently caress all about broadcast television.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's honestly crazy how many weird technical details are only kept for hysterical reasons. Digging into the lower levels of operating systems and the underlying hardware reveals strata of bug-compatible implementations for systems that were obsolete thirty years ago.

Weird frame rates that persist from the days of analogue television aren't an exception. That poo poo is the norm.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Anyone tried Chiaki to stream PS5 remote play? I'm wondering how it compares to the official iPad Remote Play app published by Sony. I found that somewhat underwhelming.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Howdy guys. I ordered in early jan (from germany) and just day i have been shifted in to Q3. I checked my estimated date on some calculator and it recons I am 104 percent of the way to getting my email.

If i had missed my email would it be completely obvious.

I am so hyped- absolutely did not expect to get this til next year some time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Science_enthusiast posted:

Howdy guys. I ordered in early jan (from germany) and just day i have been shifted in to Q3. I checked my estimated date on some calculator and it recons I am 104 percent of the way to getting my email.

First, know that the calculator is purely an estimation and isn't the end all to when you should get notice. It's merely giving you a window of when you could see it. When it becomes your turn to purchase you would have received 2 things, the first being an email and second a orangeish/yellowish banner near your account name in steam.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If it's GetMyDeck, then that doesn't provide an estimate. It tells you how far the queue has moved. If you're at over 100%, then double check that you put in the right region, deck type, and time into that site. Then scour your inbox. I think there will also be something on the steam page that lets you order? (I honestly forgot what it was like for me)

edit: That said, the last known fulfilled order in the EU 512GB queue is from mid-December, so yeah, double-check the inputs are right.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 27, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GTO posted:

This is a nice idea but in practice even where PC parts are completely modular you still end upgrading the whole thing after a few minor upgrades due to changes in underlying architectures, bus speeds, form factors and so on.

This reminds me of that infuriating concept for “Phonebloks” by a guy who didn’t think far enough ahead to even ask “what happens if you have to upgrade the motherboard”

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Steam also pushes a notification itself, that was what alerted me that mine was ready.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Been playing Bully, what a treat this thing is. Native 16:9 support and can run for 4-5 hours

Armored Core 3 ran like poo poo on Vulkan. Its much better with the software renderer but loses upscaling. Good enough for me

Dark Alliance had issues with both PCSX2 and Dolphin but runs like a champ on Xemu, the Xbox emulator. What a strange device

Now, gonna try to get might and magic 6 going

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC BG Dark Alliance has an issue with PCSX2's default renderer on AMD chipsets, it gets massive slowdown even on systems that should easily be able to handle it. It's one of those games where you need to fiddle with the options to get it to run at full speed. I think changing the renderer from Direct3D to OpenGL or Vulkan will fix the issue.

But also both BG:DA games have been ported to Steam so there's no real need to futz with emulators any more for them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

Set yourself a remidner to check the steam deck page every monday night and every thursday night EST/EDT. If you don't see it anywhere else, you'll see it there.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

negativeneil posted:

Anyone tried Chiaki to stream PS5 remote play? I'm wondering how it compares to the official iPad Remote Play app published by Sony. I found that somewhat underwhelming.

Works fine. Setting it up is a bit of a pain but once it's done it works better than the official app, as long as the ps5 is on ethernet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Community layouts are so wonderful. I can’t believe I’m playing stalker call of Pripyat on a handheld with controller controls and it actually feels good and I didn’t have to do poo poo.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i played an hour of bloodborne online with chiaki and it was great.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

chiaki's great - just make sure your PS5 is hooked up via ethernet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Were the cases something they just gave away to the first round of shipments or does everyone get one?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Were the cases something they just gave away to the first round of shipments or does everyone get one?

Everyone gets one. They're pretty nice!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

All models come with the case as well, the 512 come with a slightly different case (colorways and interior fabric are different).

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Ok thanks I will just keep checking. I actually just realised my account is set to the UK (where I am from). I hope I don't run in to any issues if I change my region.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The fact that the deck comes with a case is an often overlooked huge positive.

None of the more expensive options come with a free case.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jesus, my phone was getting low so I used the Deck's charger since it was next to me, and it took my phone from 5% to 75% in about 10 minutes. I'm surprised steam didn't shoot out of it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so I tried out xcloud on the Deck by playing Escape Academy... and it worked, but it had enough input lag that I felt like "well, I guess I won't be playing anything too twitchy on this..."

turns out Escape Academy just has built-in input lag, because I played it directly on the One X and it had the same issue

so I guess I'll have to test a different game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

The fact that the deck comes with a case is an often overlooked huge positive.

None of the more expensive options come with a free case.

Case chat: I ordered one of these JSAUX ones as an alternative with some realistic internal storage. It won't arrive for like 2 more weeks so I can't add anything further about it yet.

I've also had my eye on this across-the-chest one.

Opopanax posted:

Jesus, my phone was getting low so I used the Deck's charger since it was next to me, and it took my phone from 5% to 75% in about 10 minutes. I'm surprised steam didn't shoot out of it

Well the nice thing is that nothing bad would ever happen, barring some equipment failure; the phone is only going to charge as fast as is appropriate. Note that the charger is the thing directly holding/connected to the battery, so the phone itself is the charger for its own battery (as it monitors the voltage and temperature to regulate it's health.) For comparison, I've got a throwaway phone that will only charge at 5 V (and no more than 15 W max,) even if it's plugged into a 100 W PD 2.0 PSU.