Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Let it be me. I'll probe all of you for not keeping to the topic of biosphere collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

they who are to be the post collapse warlord shall be the thread ik that they may workshop their dictatorial skills and bloody their hands with the needful sacrifice now that they do not shy from it later

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

hows that chromium spill in michigan doing?

Working hard! Thank you

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Would it sweeten the deal if I said that the IK could literally probe Arf any time for any reason?

me

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lmao

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Tempora Mutantur posted:

remember Arf? he's back, in cringe form!

Lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

hekaton posted:

Arf shitposted to freedom through five hundred pages of cringe smelling foulness I can’t even imagine

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I would do it but I’m too offended that I wasn’t asked behind the scenes first so you’d have to sweeten the pot somehow. like remove the character limit on my avatar maybe

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh or make it so I can change the thread title

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'd do it because honestly I really only give a poo poo about posting news and local collapse stories and sometimes posting coool poo poo but also

I could never do it because im a sensitive little baby who cries when people make fun of me.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I promise as moderator I will fix the cringe crisis once and for all via common sense reforms and by working across the isle and with industry partners

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

silicone thrills posted:

I'd do it because honestly I really only give a poo poo about posting news and local collapse stories and sometimes posting coool poo poo but also

I could never do it because im a sensitive little baby who cries when people make fun of me.

Give me the IK icon but give silicone thrills the actual buttons so i take all the flak and also i don't have to do anything

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

give everyone who has ever posted in the thread ik but every time someone gives a sixer it also gives them a sixer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

blatman posted:

give everyone who has ever posted in the thread ik but every time someone gives a sixer it also gives them a sixer

*two hours later, literally every poster is in the leper's colony*

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

blatman posted:

:hmmyes:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Microplastics posted:

*two hours later, literally every poster is in the leper's colony*

lol wasn't there an IK who tried to do that a few years back? Everytime he probed someone he probed himself?

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Fell Mood posted:

There are no skills that will let you survive a complete collapse, ie the water and electricity are turned off and industrial farming stops. There are 4 reasons for this.

Assume the fossil fuel stops flowing.

1. Learning how to farm like it's 1800 requires a lot more than just "having skills" It's a knowledge base that very very few people still keep up with, and you have to get it right quickly before you starve. This isn't like growing a garden.

2. None of the infrastructure is there. The tools for farming by human or animal power no longer exist in quantity. The electricity to power the machines to make them won't exist. Where are the tens of thousands of horses and donkeys and oxen we would need? What about the seeds? Hell can you even get from the city to a field on the outskirts without a car? With no horse to ride?

Even a simple way of life requires pre-existing infrastructure that has built on itself over centuries.
If you were an expert on farming and time traveled to 1820 and was given a free piece of land, there is a great deal already made available by society. Plows and horses would exist in high numbers and could be bought on credit. Today we would be starting from scratch. It would be like the Jamestown settlers starving before the native Americans saved them.

3. The environment is degraded. Even if your community could transition back into a low tech agrarian society before you all starved to death, crop failure would be common.

4. The environment is degraded. 300 years ago you could simply walk thru a forest in north America and pick up enough chestnuts, blue berries, muskadines, ect ect to survive. There would be deer and rabbits and Buffalo everywhere. Now when your crops fail you won't be feeding the community by hunting. That or you'll give everyone a prion disease.

There is no rebuilding from this. It is different from every other collapse that a society has suffered in history because there is no where to go. We cannot revert to a less organized society because we are destroying nature itself. Let's assume a worst case scenario. Humanity is set back 50,000 years to being isolated tribes of 50 to 60 people that either hunt or try to farm.

There are places that have seen continuous human habitation for millenia that will be too hot for that. We've collapsed the fish stocks. We've killed the large mammal populations. Even after human society is gone they may not recover due to the chemical pollution affecting fertility for centuries.

Let's talk Canada and Siberia. We'll just all move north where it's cooler, right? To a place that has never been farmed and has no topsoil. To the massive bogs of thawed permafrost where a human being can't walk, nevermind trying to get a donkey or tractor into the field. Where the natives have lost thier way of life because the seal, whale, crab, fish, populations are depleted.

Let's talk the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Nature recovered in 20 years right? It's called shifting baselines. That's what you think nature is like because you're never seen nature. How much animal biomass does the zone have? How many humans could that sustain if you didn't overhunt? How does seeing a few deer in the exclusion zone compare to native American stories about a herd of Buffalo millions strong where you just had to sit on the trail for 3 days and wait for the mass of animals to pass before you could continue? Spanish explorers wrote in thier logs about schools of sea turtles so thick it felt like the ship was running aground as they plowed thru.

We will not transition to a carbon neutral high tech society. We are in a capitalism fitness trap and it's almost too late.

We will not transition to a low tech agrarian society. We conceivably could with proper preparation and reorganizing of society, but we won't. And it may not be possible to rebuild into a low tech agrarian society after a sudden collapse. (Because we are altering the environment such that sufficient crops won't grow. )

We will flail about as we desperately try to keep things going. Canada and Northern Russia will be devastated as enormous effort is expended to make it suitable for large scale habitation. Thawed permafrost bogs will be drained and scraped away to try to find something solid to build on. Massive amounts of NatGas will be used to try to make enough fertilizer for what little dirt there is. The trees will be cut down for housing and the 10,000 lakes polluted. All while the mid latitudes experience giga death from heatwaves and crop failure.

We are hosed. And when the power is turned off and food and fuel stop being shipped to your little corner of the world, all your skills and resilient community's and whatnot just means you'll survive longer as you scavenge the corpse of society. I'm not saying that isn't worthwhile, I'm developing my own skills as well. But this isn't going to be Russia in the 90s or like a civil war in some war torn country. We are destroying the basic inputs human civilization must have to function.

Good post

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Cool that the author doesn't realize almost all of the US/Mexico border migrants are climates refugees and the response has been to put them in concentration camps and make it a crime to give them water. They're also sterilized.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Here's the letter from Congress:

https://jayapal.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/DHS-IG-FINAL.pdf

They began performing them in 2014.

Bunch of different links here. Extremely well documented.
Full report here: https://projectsouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/OIG-ICDC-Complaint-1.pdf

It just gets worse and worse lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

aren't you a woman though? the whole of the internet will come to your aid at the drop of a hat m'lady

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

What's the price of a Jubdge these days?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Voice of Labor posted:

aren't you a woman though? the whole of the internet will come to your aid at the drop of a hat m'lady

Thank you for reminding me why I definitely would never want to be IK

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

actionjackson posted:

what's the explanation for the patch running north south through the center of the US? does it relate to the mississippi river at all?

Weird. The Nile doesn't have one. Amazon doesn't have one. Congo, Tigris, Euphrates, nope. Ganges? Might be the mountains.

Don't remember my Chinese rivers too good, dunno about that blip. Are the big southern blotches more protected because more ocean? What about the us pacific nw blip? Extreme south south America is slightly cooler.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

God Hole posted:

What's the price of a Jubdge these days?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Bjudge bjury and extinctioner

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Wait if IK's can self-probe, gimme them buttons, Imma whack myself off with a sixer every day like one of those self-flagellating Opus Dei fucks

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

One of the cool things about farming in the 1800s is that it was highly reliant on bird poop islands that have been stripped bare of bird poop

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i went to the airshow at the marine corps base a few weeks ago and to leave after the blue angles were done swooshing around you had to get on some school busses and it was the most chaotic disorganized mess with a bunch of disgruntled families with young children scrambling to get onto random busses without any cohesive lines anywhere. we saw a bus stopping and ran over to it and it let us on as a bunch of people yelled "HEY THERES A LINE (there wasn't) and lol to them i bet they were stuck there for hours. also there was like a horn band there practicing and i kept being like "oh, so this is what the eventual refugee crisis will feel like"

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
someone should collate all the bdell edits :effort:

hekaton posted:

future IK, plagued with regret from an unjust probe
:five:

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
In the spirit of climate change, appoint someone who will talk a lot and do nothing. The IK must never make a decision that would help the thread. In fact the entrenched power structure (the mods) must remove the IK if they ever actually do something.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Fell Mood posted:

In the spirit of climate change, appoint someone who will talk a lot and do nothing. The IK must never make a decision that would help the thread. In fact the entrenched power structure (the mods) must remove the IK if they ever actually do something.

this hole was made for me.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
this thread stays on target really well i think

kater
Nov 16, 2010

you mean the thread’s main topic is longer and more severe than expected

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
THERES CRINGE IN THE ATMOSPHERE :negative:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

this thread stays on target really well i think

ArfJason posted:

i believe that we can still commit to a 1.5 degree Cringe world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

ArfJason posted:

Going back to a classic.