Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

JingleBells posted:

Someone flew from California to Hawaii in a Cessna 172, 18hrs non-stop :stare:
https://twitter.com/bshyong/status/1561469187003924480

My brother found a video of the arrival, and you can see the ferry tank in the back of the cabin.

https://www.facebook.com/566027619/videos/5061899067251838/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How do they put that tank in? It looks huge, wider than the door or does it just look that way?

I assume filling up a tank like that must put it over max weight?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
ESOPS.

That does not look like fun, I hope they paid him a lot of money.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Murgos posted:

Why couldn’t they just be shipped mostly assembled in boxes or wrapped in plastic and do final assembly at the destination?

because paying some newb in flight time is cheaper than paying to have professionals take the airplane apart and then put it back together

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 23, 2022

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PT6A posted:

ESOPS.

they didn't

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

PT6A posted:

ESOPS.

Engine spins or pilot swims?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can someone tell me what the Sky Warden is about? As far as I understand it, it's a converted industrial plane made to carry surveillance and light ground attack weapons. It seems to me a drone could fulfill the same role without exposing a pilot to risk. Is it meant for export to other countries or really that much cheaper than a drone? What's the deal here?
It's a predator without the chain of command in the way.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

It's a predator without the chain of command in the way.

Stealing this.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

There was only one aircraft in the vicinity, Air New Zealand Flight 103, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 travelling from Fiji to Auckland. The flight had 88 passengers on board. The captain was Gordon Vette, the first officer was Arthur Dovey, and the flight engineer was Gordon Brooks.

Man, this flight deck would have absolutely rippled with the sursurration of moustaches.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Fun local news from a couple weeks ago.

Airplane debris crashes down near Maine State Capitol building posted:

AUGUSTA (WGME) – A member of the Capitol Police is lucky to be OK after he narrowly missed being hit by what's believed to be part of a plane.

Investigators say it landed a few feet away from him right outside the Maine State House.

Capitol Police Screener Craig Donahue was just walking outside when the object crashed to the ground, leaving a mark.
The photo of what's being described as a "large metal object" comes from the Department of Public Safety.
It is a roughly 6-7 pound "sleeve-like object."

The incident happened on Friday [August 12] at 12:30 p.m.

Capitol Police say two other people were also in the area and saw it happen.

Fortunately, no one was hit by the object.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the Augusta State Airport has been notified.

The FAA has launched an investigation, trying to find where exactly the part came from.

Flights that were over the Augusta area have been notified.

Capitol Police say it is likely from a large airline on an international route, but the source for now is still unknown and under investigation.

Left a good dent in the granite:

Anyone have a guess at what it was?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
My dad used to do those transpacific delivery flights for Mooney. His favourite story was the time a customer ordered a M20 with the extended range tanks installed (helpful for delivering over the pacific too), the paperwork said it had the extended range tanks installed, the fueler filled it to the brim and reported that it must therefore have the extended range tanks worth of fuel... but oops, Mooney put the wrong wings on it (the ones *without* extended range tanks) and nobody realized the mistake until his engine started sputtering 30 minutes from land when he should have been good for another couple of hours including reserve. (He did an emergency landing at the first strip he found and was OK)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Captain Postal posted:

My dad used to do those transpacific delivery flights for Mooney. His favourite story was the time a customer ordered a M20 with the extended range tanks installed (helpful for delivering over the pacific too), the paperwork said it had the extended range tanks installed, the fueler filled it to the brim and reported that it must therefore have the extended range tanks worth of fuel... but oops, Mooney put the wrong wings on it (the ones *without* extended range tanks) and nobody realized the mistake until his engine started sputtering 30 minutes from land when he should have been good for another couple of hours including reserve. (He did an emergency landing at the first strip he found and was OK)

This is why you always need someone counting the gas to make sure enough has been put in.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

This is why you always need someone counting the gas to make sure enough has been put in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOJXRs_V5Cw

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

.... 🙃

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 27, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Ferrari setting up a tow for a 1sec down lap for the driver taking a penalty in q2 lmao

wild

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

it's hard to use computers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
WHAT?!? :britain: :france: HOW DARE TH... oh it's the Konkordski. As you were, lads.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Bold of them to choose the Goblin and not the F-104 for the cover

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That is a book designed for the purpose of destroying threads like this one.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
That looks a lot like a book called Lemons The World’s Worst Cars I have.

Edit: On further investigation it is in fact the same publisher, and yes, that flying car is in both of them.

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 28, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr.Smasher posted:

Bold of them to choose the Goblin and not the F-104 for the cover

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It’s already fuckin started.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

If there isn't a dumb bow and arrow joke in the inevitable entry about the Goodyear Inflatoplanes I'd be astonished.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
It’s a bad book because the Osprey isn’t on the cover

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

It’s a bad book because the Constellation isn’t on the cover

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Bob A Feet posted:

It’s a bad book because the F-35 isn’t on the cover

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
the book got it right those planes you, reader of this post, dont like are good and not contained within the book much less on the cover

im strongly of this opinion and only pretend to even read counterarguments posted in good faith

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Sea Dart is clearly the best plane on the cover.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I owned that exact book as a child.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The absence of any German ww2 plane from that cover is, I'm not sure how to say this, some type of bad engineering erasure

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the worst plane that the Nazis built ordered slaves to build?

They weren’t all great, but the depths of depravity they achieved on the drawing board is something else.

I’ll nominate the Me 163 as being a bad concept executed ineptly.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

163 was good next the 349. And the 177 would've been good much better if the'd have let it have its 4 separate engine pods. The 162 had good clean lines but everything else was a nightmare. As for everything else... how do you pick? There was something wrong with all of them, if in some cases that being still serving while obsolete

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I dont know that the Seadart was bad, its mission wound up not being one that needed to be filled, but its not a flaw with the plane. Its a good choice for a cover image though, so if they wanted to move books...

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I dont know that the Seadart was bad, its mission wound up not being one that needed to be filled, but its not a flaw with the plane. Its a good choice for a cover image though, so if they wanted to move books...

The book's definitely got some takes. It would probably be a good buy for dad's coffee table or to introduce a teenager to the wonderful world of weird airplanes. Nice big pictures and a jocular tone to the text.

I think I paid $5 for it at Ollie's discount turkey jerky and carpet emporium.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

163 was good next the 349. And the 177 would've been good much better if the'd have let it have its 4 separate engine pods. The 162 had good clean lines but everything else was a nightmare. As for everything else... how do you pick? There was something wrong with all of them, if in some cases that being still serving while obsolete

Nazi aircraft, wunderwaffen or wundershiesse?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Eric Brown flew the 163 and several other tailless aircraft and said the 163 was the best of the lot (terrifying fuel notwithstanding).

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 28, 2022

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

It’s a bad book because the Osprey isn’t on the cover

Why is the osprey the worlds worst airplane?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If a Me-163 got
1. Big enough to fit permanent retractable gear
2. Enough fuel to not have to economise on powered flight
3. A jet engine from the 70s or better
4. AND maintained the same cg and aerodynamics
Then it would have been as good as the books I read as a kid said it deserved to be. "Development time" is a magical land that could fix every problem if only you could get enough of it, apparently.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

vuk83 posted:

Why is the osprey the worlds worst airplane?

Oh I just made the joke because the Osprey is usually low hanging fruit in these debates. It is also good at rapidly attracting detractors too.

I flew it for a while in my careers past and loved the thing. It’s a decent airplane that has the maintenance footprint of a helicopter. It’d attract a lot less hate provided the USMC could properly man and supply it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
It seems to me that the big problems with the Osprey were a) people viewing it as a fixed-wing aircraft when it’s really a helicopter (and thus thirsts for the blood of it’s occupants), b) the USMC doing test events with passengers instead of instrumented dummies leading to bad headlines, and c) maintenance requirements lead to fighter-like CPFH.