Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is there an adapter to take HDMI/DP output and combine it with power to do video and power to a USB-C port? I got my weird little 10.5" touchscreen monitor in and it works nicely, but it's a pain having to connect both the mini-HDMI and USB-C for power cables.

HDMI -> USB-C certainly exists, but I've no idea how much (or if) power rides along. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VDT3YGK/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DrDork posted:

HDMI -> USB-C certainly exists, but I've no idea how much (or if) power rides along. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VDT3YGK/

Thanks! That looks like it would work.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DrDork posted:

Just went through pretty much this exact issue with my partner swapping from an older Intel-based MBP to a M1 with that same monitor: using her MBP or my ThinkPad and a dock that works just fine for MBP -> dock -> monitor at 3440x1440@50, the M1 just would not work. Who knows who to blame on that (maybe Apple decided to be more picky, maybe the dock was never technically in spec compliance to begin with, maybe Intel had some non-spec feature or workaround that made docs work better, who knows), but the "fix" for us at least was her buying one of the $300 Razer (because RGB) TB4 docks. Works just fine with that. The non-working dock was a TB3 one, so maybe that's got some play in this game.

Aah thanks everyone. What a pain.

Yeah this is a TB3 dock, the Lenovo Gen2 one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

the first cable certified for the maximum DP2.0 bandwidth (80gbps) has been announced

https://www.bizlinktech.com/news/detail/67

looks like they can only run it over about 30cm of copper before the signal disintegrates lol

hope your PC is on your desk because these cables aren't going to reach the floor
Are there any plans to move to optical as standard because they've been kicking that can for a while, doesn't seem like it's avoidable anymore (unless they go heavier on compression).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are optical HDMI 2.1 cables. There will probably be optical DP 2.0 cables too, since the standard allows for that. Just expect to pay a premium for that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are optical HDMI 2.1 cables. There will probably be optical DP 2.0 cables too, since the standard allows for that. Just expect to pay a premium for that.

30' optical HDMI 2.1 cables go for about $40. 10' copper ones go for like $25. I'm not sure there's even a premium anymore, really.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

knox_harrington posted:

Aah thanks everyone. What a pain.

Yeah this is a TB3 dock, the Lenovo Gen2 one.

Yeah, we had the Lenovo docks at work. Look at the supported specs on your specific model.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
This link should have what you are using, drill down into the supported resolution from there: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd014572-docks-port-replicator-ultrabase-reference-guide

you may have to manually calculate the video bandwidth to see if it's supported. I don't think they typically list non-16:9 resolutions.

e: \/ ooohh I see

TheDK fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 28, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It handles the full resolution at 50hz for various non-mac laptops. The macbook is recognising the monitor and extending the desktop but nothing comes up on the screen.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

knox_harrington posted:

It handles the full resolution at 50hz for various non-mac laptops. The macbook is recognising the monitor and extending the desktop but nothing comes up on the screen.

We were never able to get Lenovo non-thunderbolt docks to play nice with Macs via USB-C. Lenovos implementation of Thunderbolt 3 was almost a meme.

This will give you max bandwidth and specs, but you’re probably not going to have any luck with Lenovo docks:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd029622-display-and-video-output-configurations-docking-stations

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well I got "permanent" image retention in my Acer XB271hu. Upping the refresh rate to 144/165 makes the words blur a lot more but there's still a blotch of darker pixels.

I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor. I have a GTX 1080ti right now for my GPU and even though it's kinda underpowered for it, I'm tempted to look into a 4k monitor. Probably gonna wait til the 4080/4070 come out before I make a decision either way I think. Mainly posting this here because wow I didn't think a LCD could get image retention/burn in like this.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Thanks! That looks like it would work.

If it doesn't, you can try adding something like this: https://www.covid.com/en/hd-pi_hdmi-power-injector-usb-to-hdmi?GroupGuid=343

You mentioning this want now actually has me trying to do the same thing for a Switch -> portable monitor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DrDork posted:

If it doesn't, you can try adding something like this: https://www.covid.com/en/hd-pi_hdmi-power-injector-usb-to-hdmi?GroupGuid=343

You mentioning this want now actually has me trying to do the same thing for a Switch -> portable monitor.

Boy that's an unfortunate company name

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just updated to the Windows 11 Insider Beta channel, and I swear that the picture quality just got a lot better on my Neo G7 while looking at SDR content in HDR mode. It looks a lot more like my calibrated SDR profile than it did before. It was previously a bit washed-out and desaturated-looking, but not anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.thelec.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=17836

Currently, Samsung manufactures QD-OLED by bonding two glass substrates together. The top substrate contains the quantum dot layer, and the bottom substrate contains the OLED layer. However, Samsung and friends are working on a way to use quantum dot filters without a second substrate, which is what's referred to here as stacked QD-OLED (seen in the bottom-left figure). This will have some brightness efficiency implications and will allow for bendable panels (why does everyone care about this now?), but it also has two other benefits that are very important to monitors: RGB stripe and increased pixel density (seen on the top left). Further benefits of this approach include a simplified manufacturing process and lower materials cost. It could play a key role in bringing OLED to the mass market should Samsung choose to expand manufacturing enough to do so.

The bad part? This change won't happen until 2024 at the earliest. Once Samsung makes this switch and also the switch to phosphorescent blue OLED though, nearly all downsides of OLED displays will be either eliminated or mitigated to the point of being a non-factor. Phosphorescent OLED in particular should bring massive power efficiency and endurance gains when normalizing for brightness. The new OLED material is said to be 4x brighter at the same power input, though it's also less stable. This means we won't quite see a 4x gain in these areas here, but it will still surely be huge.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 29, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MagusDraco posted:

Well I got "permanent" image retention in my Acer XB271hu. Upping the refresh rate to 144/165 makes the words blur a lot more but there's still a blotch of darker pixels.

I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor. I have a GTX 1080ti right now for my GPU and even though it's kinda underpowered for it, I'm tempted to look into a 4k monitor. Probably gonna wait til the 4080/4070 come out before I make a decision either way I think. Mainly posting this here because wow I didn't think a LCD could get image retention/burn in like this.

this is normal especially on aging IPS screens if you had something high contrast there like that black text against white background for a long-rear end time (like when windows randomly decides to turn on your screen after you've stepped away for a couple hours). i thought my ancient 30" IPS also was going bad, but it turned out it was just a temporary dark line because i had a bright scrollbar in the middle of a dark screen lol

it should go away by itself over a night or so

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 29, 2022

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Truga posted:

this is normal especially on aging IPS screens if you had something high contrast there like that black text against white background for a long-rear end time (like when windows randomly decides to turn on your screen after you've stepped away for a couple hours). i thought my ancient 30" IPS also was going bad, but it turned out it was just a temporary dark line because i had a bright scrollbar in the middle of a dark screen lol

it should go away by itself over a night or so

There's been a two or so inch blotch of darker pixels that's only really noticeable on mostly pure color backgrounds in that area for I think about a year. I remember seeing it on sky backgrounds on some games like FF14. I only noticed the text part a day ago so :shrug:

edit: like it doesn't show up on white or very dark backgrounds. It isn't really an actual issue yet but I've been surprised at how long it's actually persisted. My guess is the letters will disappear so long as I don't leave chrome up all the time if I'm not using it but I think that bit of darker pixels may just be the monitor aging and not sending as much voltage to that section or something?

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 29, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
try this

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

That got rid of the letters at least but the section is still a bit darker then the rest of the monitor when on blue backgrounds/some other colors that aren't close to pure black or close to pure white. It's worse at really low refresh rates so in the end...yeah, monitor's just getting old.

120hz

24hz

edit: also whoof, monitor's kinda dirty. Just realized I need to clean it up there too looking at those pictures blown up.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IPS monitors generally speaking do not experience burnin/burnout in any form, but it does seem like temporary to longer lasting problems are MUCH more common on g-sync module montors.

And whatever less than an hour you exercised those pixels is not enough. Do it longer, and/or leave the monitor unplugged at least 12+ hours.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

K8.0 posted:

IPS monitors generally speaking do not experience burnin/burnout in any form, but it does seem like temporary to longer lasting problems are MUCH more common on g-sync module montors.

And whatever less than an hour you exercised those pixels is not enough. Do it longer, and/or leave the monitor unplugged at least 12+ hours.

I'll unplug it overnight or something and see how it acts.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

Temporary image retention is very common with IPS displays, Gsync module or not. My Moto G definitely has it, it was a common complaint with some Macbook models and the Steam Deck. It's nothing to worry about.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

https://www.thelec.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=17836

Currently, Samsung manufactures QD-OLED by bonding two glass substrates together. The top substrate contains the quantum dot layer, and the bottom substrate contains the OLED layer. However, Samsung and friends are working on a way to use quantum dot filters without a second substrate, which is what's referred to here as stacked QD-OLED (seen in the bottom-left figure). This will have some brightness efficiency implications and will allow for bendable panels (why does everyone care about this now?), but it also has two other benefits that are very important to monitors: RGB stripe and increased pixel density (seen on the top left). Further benefits of this approach include a simplified manufacturing process and lower materials cost. It could play a key role in bringing OLED to the mass market should Samsung choose to expand manufacturing enough to do so.

The bad part? This change won't happen until 2024 at the earliest. Once Samsung makes this switch and also the switch to phosphorescent blue OLED though, nearly all downsides of OLED displays will be either eliminated or mitigated to the point of being a non-factor. Phosphorescent OLED in particular should bring massive power efficiency and endurance gains when normalizing for brightness. The new OLED material is said to be 4x brighter at the same power input, though it's also less stable. This means we won't quite see a 4x gain in these areas here, but it will still surely be huge.

This is pretty cool, here's hoping the tech continues to improve.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Imagine a future where you can roll up your wireless 8k 720Hz IPS monitor and use it to swat at a fly while you're grilling.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

It has really slow response times, so motion is kinda blurry on it.

edit: Also, the panel's still an IPS, so it has low native contrast. As such, the blooming/light haloing is more noticeable on it than on the Samsung monitors. It DOES get a hell of a lot brighter, and the ABL is practically non-existent (sustained full-screen whites of 1200 nits), but the IPS nature of the screen supposedly degrades performance in dark scenes with bright highlights. So maybe it's a little better overall than the Neo line if you want a monitor that can literally blind you if you crank the brightness too much, but yeesh, that price...

Meant to reply to this earlier.

The issue I have with the Neo line is the super aggressive curve, which is there to mask the terrible viewing angles.

This really doesn’t appear to be the best time to buy a monitor. I want something with good HDR implementation and it seems like it’s either go for non-standard sized OLEDs (Alienware 34” UW, LG 42 C2), aggressively curved VA (Neo G7) or insanely overpriced, blurry IPS (Asus PG32UGX).

Viewsonic has a Mini-LED backlit, 32” 4K IPS panel that’s very expensive. I haven’t seen any “professional” reviews outside of Tom’s Hardware for it, and it appears to be basically the same as the Asus PG32UGX.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
My Acer XB270HU appears to be dying; the left hand of the screen is unable to display black, as best I can tell. I think it is time to replace it, assuming repairing the Acer is impossible. Currently, I have two 27 inch 1440p monitors (the other is an old Korean Yamaski running at 60hz).

I'm thinking of getting another 1440p 27 incher as the cost premium for 4k gaming still seems too high, even though 90% of my computer use is for work or media consumption these days. I have a GTX 980 TI, but I'm hoping to hold out until the next generation of video cards comes out.

I've been looking at these:

MSI MAG274QRF-QD

GIGABYTE M28U (4k, but maybe worth it?)

LG 27GP850-B

Any thoughts?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

Meant to reply to this earlier.

The issue I have with the Neo line is the super aggressive curve, which is there to mask the terrible viewing angles.

This really doesn’t appear to be the best time to buy a monitor. I want something with good HDR implementation and it seems like it’s either go for non-standard sized OLEDs (Alienware 34” UW, LG 42 C2), aggressively curved VA (Neo G7) or insanely overpriced, blurry IPS (Asus PG32UGX).

Viewsonic has a Mini-LED backlit, 32” 4K IPS panel that’s very expensive. I haven’t seen any “professional” reviews outside of Tom’s Hardware for it, and it appears to be basically the same as the Asus PG32UGX.

Among IPS panels there is also a 27" 1440p monitor from AOC, but again there seems to be few reviews for it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

DeceasedHorse posted:

LG 27GP850-B

Any thoughts?

I have the 32" version of this model and I love it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Gigabyte gave me an RMA for my M27Q but I think they want me to pay for shipping? Is that how it's usually done? It's gonna be quite a bit for a package of that size.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031, you said that lines of dead pixels can occasionally, temporarily fix themselves, if the monitor is powered off long enough, right? Cause I'm worried that that'll happen as the monitor is being shipped, especially since Gigabyte isn't known for their due diligence when it comes to customer RMAs.

It looks like shipping will be at least $50, which is enough to make me hesitant about going through with it at all. I'm on a pretty tight budget right now, and this isn't even guaranteed to work (this being Gigabyte after all).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Gigabyte gave me an RMA for my M27Q but I think they want me to pay for shipping? Is that how it's usually done? It's gonna be quite a bit for a package of that size.

Depends on the company. Dell will generally pay for two-way shipping for their Ultrasharp lineup. Everyone else is a much bigger question, which is why a lot of people (reasonably) prefer to only buy expensive monitors either from Amazon, Dell, or a brick-and-mortar store: at least then if you get one with a mess of dead pixels you can get it returned without paying shipping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah this was bought through Amazon, but over a year ago. I didn't realize this kind of defect (column of dead pixels) could show up so much later.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Dr. Video Games 0031, you said that lines of dead pixels can occasionally, temporarily fix themselves, if the monitor is powered off long enough, right? Cause I'm worried that that'll happen as the monitor is being shipped, especially since Gigabyte isn't known for their due diligence when it comes to customer RMAs.

It looks like shipping will be at least $50, which is enough to make me hesitant about going through with it at all. I'm on a pretty tight budget right now, and this isn't even guaranteed to work (this being Gigabyte after all).

If I said that, I meant it more as a "maybe it could" thing than a "this definitely does happen occasionally." I've seen a lot of strange defects go away just by leaving the monitor unpowered for a while to rest, temporarily or permanently in some cases. Electronics are just strange and temperamental sometimes.

But I'll be blunt and say that I don't think you're getting that thing fixed any other way than by sending it in to Gigabyte. It sucks that they're sticking you with the shipping--gigabyte has always had lovely support, but that's especially bad. But the alternative is to either throw it in a dumpster and buy a new monitor or live with the defect. I'd try to get it fixed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wasn't expecting it to fix itself, I was resigning myself to living with it. In Windows it's not that big a deal, but in-game it's a real eyesore.

But yeah I'll RMA it because who knows if it won't get worse, it's just that now isn't a good time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Has there been any study of QD OLED burn in potential?

The fact that there is an Alienware display with a 2-3 year burn in warranty is really interesting.

I'm just worried because I use a S95B for work and all the dumb poo poo you're not supposed to do. I got the best buy burn in warranty though so I guess worst case I learn my lesson and stop using it as a monitor...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

Has there been any study of QD OLED burn in potential?

The fact that there is an Alienware display with a 2-3 year burn in warranty is really interesting.

It's new enough that I don't think there's any real knowledge about it. Multiple major companies offering them specifically as monitors, with multi-year warranties, does suggest that they are confident enough in the burn in resistance that it'll last at least that long. How much past that... who knows. But OLEDs in general have been getting much, much better about the whole issue over the last few years.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
For those interested, the Gigabyte M34WQ is now down from the release price of $500 to $400 at Best Buy. Grabbed it for $500 a little over a month ago and it had dropped down to $450.

DrDork posted:

Depends on the company. Dell will generally pay for two-way shipping for their Ultrasharp lineup. Everyone else is a much bigger question, which is why a lot of people (reasonably) prefer to only buy expensive monitors either from Amazon, Dell, or a brick-and-mortar store: at least then if you get one with a mess of dead pixels you can get it returned without paying shipping.
One thing I found out recently was that if you buy a Dell monitor anywhere other than Dell or a direct partner reseller replacement monitors will be refurbished and only carry 90 day warranties, including monitors bought from Amazon. For ultrasharps bought from Dell direct this doesn't apply and you get new, non-refurbished monitors. So there's a second tier of warranty service level for buying Dell ultrasharps.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samsung has finally unveiled their QD-OLED 21:9 monitor, now officially titled the Samsung Odyssey OLED G8: https://www.techpowerup.com/298421/samsung-electronics-unveils-odyssey-oled-g8-gaming-monitor-at-ifa-2022

Key differences from the AW3423DW include the lack of g-sync ultimate (may be a plus), HDMI 2.1 support, integrated smart TV functionality with IoT bullshit, and for some mystifying reason, the use of micro HDMI and mini DP instead of full-sized connectors. Seriously, what the hell.

I've heard Samsung was planning this, but it really does seem like they intend to add smart TV stuff to all of their high-end monitors going forward. This isn't completely pointless if you intend to watch media on your monitor. A lot of streaming services heavily gimp their web streaming, presumably for anti-piracy reasons (even though it has zero impact on piracy). So having a built-in way to access non-gimped, 4K HDR streaming services is actually kind of nice. I just hope it doesn't increase the cost too much. Hopefully this thing is still cheaper than the AW3423DW since there won't be a g-sync ultimate module.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Samsung has finally unveiled their QD-OLED 21:9 monitor, now officially titled the Samsung Odyssey OLED G8: https://www.techpowerup.com/298421/samsung-electronics-unveils-odyssey-oled-g8-gaming-monitor-at-ifa-2022

Key differences from the AW3423DW include the lack of g-sync ultimate (may be a plus), HDMI 2.1 support, integrated smart TV functionality with IoT bullshit, and for some mystifying reason, the use of micro HDMI and mini DP instead of full-sized connectors. Seriously, what the hell.

I've heard Samsung was planning this, but it really does seem like they intend to add smart TV stuff to all of their high-end monitors going forward. This isn't completely pointless if you intend to watch media on your monitor. A lot of streaming services heavily gimp their web streaming, presumably for anti-piracy reasons (even though it has zero impact on piracy). So having a built-in way to access non-gimped, 4K HDR streaming services is actually kind of nice. I just hope it doesn't increase the cost too much. Hopefully this thing is still cheaper than the AW3423DW since there won't be a g-sync ultimate module.

I assume the HDR implementation will be better when watching content that way too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I would be surprised if any of those integrated apps actually supported the aspect ratio of the monitor itself, though. The only service that does natively on browsers is Prime Video (and Youtube but only for videos uploaded in the same ratio).