Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I found the theme song for Tzeentch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYJIs5tGCU

What would the theme song for the other three be?

Slaanesh would absolutely be Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Washin Tong posted:

Ghorst short campaign done, easy peasy.

The wheel gave me Morgiana le Fay now. Alright she seems cool, but I don't get the early game for her.

Turn 4 and oh no it gorm the punch. how kil gorm???

Peasant infantry is garbage at this point, every greenskin unit beats them pound for pound and they outnumber you hard (Grom has 1 and a half stack with catapults, stone trolls and other good units) while I'm capped at 1 peasant stack. No vows yet. The blessed trebuchet is super inaccurate and the Grail Guardians/heroes can't really be everywhere, so I get trounced in battle.

Should I just ruin my economy by going over cap and just drown them in peasants? Are you supposed to sit on your starter province until you get better stuff. I don't know what the goal is after you kill the turn 1-2 enemy. The orc incursions to farm out exp and money are gone too, so that's out.

I get that you confed Brettonnia through techs but where are you supposed to go and kill poo poo?

I don't have a huge amount of advice except that the blessed trebuchet doesn't hit friendly units. Fire that thing into melee against the enemies best stuff and laugh chivalrously.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
My very first campaign in WH1 was Kholek and it only took a few turns before I realised how bad Chaos was implemented. I got worried the whole game would be poor but luckily the rest was fantastic. Might just play Kholek as my first IE campaign for old times sake and to celebrate how far the game has come

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Bretonnian plan is cav, cav, and more cav.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

The Bretonnian plan is cav, cav, and more cav.

Don't forget blessed field trebuchets

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have to say the scale is just GREAT so far, I've retaken most of the Karaz Ankor, working to confederate with the other Dawi step by step, I've painted so much of the map and yet its... nothing, there is so much more out there, I am at the gates of kislev, Katarin is left with one minor province, the Angry wood spirit Screamy face is running around, most of the rest is empty ruins, Azazel is even farther north. But I am actually going to turn my attention to the empire and intervene by smashing all the remaining electors for Karl so he will be my nice meat shield against the northern hell

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
don't portal to the red desert, it traps you in this river ,can't even move to the land

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

AtomikKrab posted:

I have to say the scale is just GREAT so far, I've retaken most of the Karaz Ankor, working to confederate with the other Dawi step by step, I've painted so much of the map and yet its... nothing, there is so much more out there, I am at the gates of kislev, Katarin is left with one minor province, the Angry wood spirit Screamy face is running around, most of the rest is empty ruins, Azazel is even farther north. But I am actually going to turn my attention to the empire and intervene by smashing all the remaining electors for Karl so he will be my nice meat shield against the northern hell

Yeah it rules. I've taken over most of central Asia as Ghorst, and am liberating Cathay from invaders while just starting to push against the World's-Edge mountains-- and I have no idea what's going on in the Empire, or the western half of the map. I know Kislev is dead, and Kemmler is alive, and that's it. No idea what might come barrelling out of the fog next.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Does Belakor literally yell 'suck it' when he wins?

Also wow going from Malagor (a flying wizard who is super good at magic) to Be'lakor (a flying wizard who is super good at Magic and melee and has high resistances and amazing army buffs) feels hilarious. It's like they took the bird boy and smashed him into skarbrand and said this is balanced.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
trying Cathay in IE for the first time and lol at the Greenskins out here being the Dimmed Sunz dim sum

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Does Belakor literally yell 'suck it' when he wins?

Also wow going from Malagor (a flying wizard who is super good at magic) to Be'lakor (a flying wizard who is super good at Magic and melee and has high resistances and amazing army buffs) feels hilarious. It's like they took the bird boy and smashed him into skarbrand and said this is balanced.

I'm not sure what he says there, but when Daniel shows up looking for a treaty or something he calls him "little Prince" with this wonderfully snide tone. Richard Armitage casually rocking the bad guy vibes.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Playing Ghorst and one of my low level zombie armies got ambushed by Queek. By all rights I was toast so I spent my time trying to get my lord out of the melee so I could keep him.
I shouldn't have done that. Once Queek's army expended their ammo and closed into melee it was a slow grind until nothing was left but my undying horde.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Fun start to my Festus RoC campaign. Decided to swing over to Norsca to secure some Dark Fortresses to get my economy going before getting into invading the Empire itself. Daniel and Vilitch had both left their fortresses to fight each other, so I slid in behind and took Daniel's easy. In the meantime, they destroyed each other in one big fight so I was able to immediately walk over and take Vilitch's home pretty much uncontested as well. Then after sitting in the water for like 10 turns with no territory, he finally tried to retake only to promptly kill himself right at the start of the battle with a miscast and then the Forbidden Rod ability. Honestly I had though that self-damage abilities might like leave characters at 1hp rather than being able to literally kill them outright, but nope!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

God drat, after a brutal slog I successfully defended Turtle Gate from 2 stacks of Miao's armies including the big dragon herself, and now I have a frankly absurd amount for Vilitch to feed to Tzeench. That really good feeling of auto-resolve's pyrrhic victory being "you lose everything but your named dudes" and your actual pyrrhic victory being "you lost a couple pink horrors and some marauders, all of whom you replaced the following turn instantly."

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There are some quality memes on the reddit already.
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wyzkqk/greasus_goldtooth_walking_south_on_turn_10/
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wyztsp/pov_tzeentch_just_transferred_your_settlement_for/

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
The new mannfred location kicks rear end, lots of good perks to pickup from fighting all of his neighbors

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Vashro posted:

don't portal to the red desert, it traps you in this river ,can't even move to the land

I had a portal spawn in an inaccessible area that I couldn’t reach from where I opened it. I didn’t try to portal back through it though.

Figured it was a bug because it seemed to always open in the same unreachable location.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Single Entity Monsters aren't Large in the Rock/Paper/Scissors matchup so much as their own thing; large is cavalry and monstrous infantry. SEMs beat melee infantry (even halberds) by wading through them and there never being enough halberds or spears engaging at one time to really matter and even if there were they just walk over the infantry before the attack animations start. They suffer a bit against monstrous infantry and cavalry that can keep them still by surrounding them (and a lot if there's a hero in that mix simply because they do splash damage but take focus fire from the hero) but what they lose against is shooting because they are literally too big to miss (Total War tracks the trajectory of each shot). I think a unit of Tier 0 Empire Archers do more damage to a mammoth than a unit of Chosen with halberds simply because they can all attack and the mammoth won't dodge.

Aha, that makes a lot of sense. Chaos doesn't really have missiles beyond marauder horsemen and hellcannons, although I suppose I could ally in Tzeentch daemons now.

Dark elves do have missiles, and coincidentally I've just started a Lokhir campaign. Archaon was well and truly past the point where anyone else could challenge me; I was going to push through to the Western map edge and all the southern dark fortresses, but will come back to it later.

I've done 2 dark elf campaigns before, Malekith and Lokhir, so I know their units. What I'm not sure I got before was just how great for recruitment Black Arks are. You can get everything you need from them, at +3 experience, relatively soon. Land cities are basically there to make money. So my strategic plan is for Lokhir to take Cathay's coast (I can recruit a Black Ark for every major port settlement I hold) and then sack the poo poo out of the inland areas. Meanwhile I confederate Karond Kar and start building up the Black Ark Fleet. Then sail back to Naggaroth en masse and eliminate Malekith before descending on Ulthuan.

I tried a few turns as Malus before settling on Lokhir. Ultimately I am not a fan of the possession mechanic. For fluff reasons I would want to keep the possession super low and that mostly just seems like a pain. I like the idea of Malus as a cold one cavalry combat beatstick lord, but I'll just attempt to confederate him later on, so I can use him but not deal with his faction layer.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Hargrimm posted:

Fun start to my Festus RoC campaign. Decided to swing over to Norsca to secure some Dark Fortresses to get my economy going before getting into invading the Empire itself. Daniel and Vilitch had both left their fortresses to fight each other, so I slid in behind and took Daniel's easy. In the meantime, they destroyed each other in one big fight so I was able to immediately walk over and take Vilitch's home pretty much uncontested as well. Then after sitting in the water for like 10 turns with no territory, he finally tried to retake only to promptly kill himself right at the start of the battle with a miscast and then the Forbidden Rod ability. Honestly I had though that self-damage abilities might like leave characters at 1hp rather than being able to literally kill them outright, but nope!

just like winning a battle vs the vampire counts in my very first campaign in 2015 because the enemy vampire suffered a perils of the warp attack overcast damage and exploded like that pig thing in GalaxyQuest

Gonkish posted:

Add this to OP or we riot. :colbert:

I noticed it, on it's way

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

yeah sure

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Grombrindal's campaign is great. The start is hard and you have no resources. Took me 75 turns to finally get on top of Malekith and Valkia and I had to fight a not insignificant number of clutch battles. Valkia, her garrison and two other mid stacks chose to attack me outside the dark fortress and there just happens to be a cliff with no chance of flankers there. A gloriously dwarfy end to that faction.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Brief notes on short victory blitzes for the following lords:

Khatep: TKs probably got over buffed. They can get rolling with SEM spam stacks faster and cheaper than any other faction now. The only thing holding them back is army limit, and Khatep actually has the most defensible position with powerful neighbors that are easy to manipulate with the WC3 diplo system. Khatep's long victory should be taking over the Cathayan desert and building his own Nehekara with blackjack and hookers. Also allied unit upkeep should, uh. Cost jars? Free is too low, normal gold cost way too high for the Kings.

Luther Harkon: Coast is probably the single least fun faction to play a low tech offensive siege with, stuck with weak, slow melee and gunpowder sightlines. Alberich is less of a pushover than I expected, and Bret wall towers just delete undead.

Nakai: Basically at war with everyone I met until Cathay was conquered. No one even attempted to take a city off my vassal. No idea why. He has more money but his mechanics still blow (global-recruitment-only armies, poor scaling) and his unit buffs are even more anemic compared to the new stuff gor'rok and kroq'gar got.

Miao Ying: Self-imposed challenge to not war-dec another Cathayan faction. A minor starts in full possession of the wall and would not confederate, even to the point of being destroyed by the third Kurgan wave, flooding into my land. Not a fan of that. Lokhir and Eshin add some variety and pushed the other minors to confederate. Vilitch did nothing at all and Cathay still feels pretty empty for now. Zhao Ming impossible to confederate without AI abuse.

Confederation in general working out the opposite of how CA said it should. AI weights for buying and selling regions is busted and basically infinite money. Diplomacy just feels broken compared to WH2, where there was much more room for factions to be indifferent or hostile, instead of just either 'have treaties' and 'phony war'

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is it even possible to lose as ghorst? Once your zombies are upgraded it seems you’ve won the game. Pretty boring

What are some hard starts/LLs?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wyz389/you_know_what_thomin_the_snow_doesnt_seem_so_bad/

Adorable and brilliant.

I also learnt from this thread that Vilitch loudly complains that Thommin is getting seasick if you take them out onto the ocean, and lectures him not to get sand in his helmet if they're in the desert. Oh, my creepy little guys, you rock.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is it even possible to lose as ghorst? Once your zombies are upgraded it seems you’ve won the game. Pretty boring

What are some hard starts/LLs?

Dwarfs

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

1stGear posted:

yeah sure

yeah i've noticed the game being especially uncharitable with battle results

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Is it just me, or is the normal difficulty AI way more aggressive than it should be?

AI aggression is all over the place. I've played a lot of different games, and it starts getting real loopy around turn 20 and then again around turn 50. Some of this is tied to your strategic threat rating, some of it is just buggy behavior I believe. Strategic Threat is more than just a malus now, it's some sort of variable that gets fed into the AI choice tree and starts skewing it in ways that can be both sudden and really loving dumb. Additionally, be VERY leery of areas where people don't have a lot of natural enemies, because the AI bias will be just enough for you to become their enemy. Both times I tried out Sylvania (both Vlad and Isabella as LL) Zhufbar started out NOT at war with the greenskins and eventually declared on me, despite building positive relations as I beat the poo poo out of the VCount faction you start at war with for example.

There is also some strangeness going on with your reported score with factions vs actual. I haven't really figured this one out, but I've seen a couple MASSIVE drops in diplomacy ratings with people right before they go to war with you. In my Vlad game I actually had NAP+trade+access with Golden Order because I was seeing if I could have a Vlad of the Empire game. It was actually going VERY well with selective wars and mostly just back capping as I let festius or whomever gently caress with their territory, then go to war with Empire enemy and retake it for myself, etc etc. Well, anyways, I was at 90+ with golden order, was inching towards a defensive alliance so I was checking each turn, then suddenly its at -60 (I still have very high reliability and we share common wars and I'm not at war with ANY of his allies, no malus reported at all besides my strategic threat). The turn after that, he breaks all treaties and declares war.

If I had to make a guess, they're doing a series of weights that can build up over time, but when they hit certain critical thresholds, it hits a bunch of them across the board on a bunch of different people. Chain decs are VERY common, especially if you get exposed to a ton of the map at once. People flipping from I love you to I hate you or vice versa, etc. Still loving the game, but its definitely a beta.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the tips a couple of pages ago. Tried to take a battle slow, deploy my units more spread out so they have room to maneuver and choose my ranged targets better and managed to turn a decisive defeat into a victory. On normal, but it feels good anyway.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for the tips a couple of pages ago. Tried to take a battle slow, deploy my units more spread out so they have room to maneuver and choose my ranged targets better and managed to turn a decisive defeat into a victory. On normal, but it feels good anyway.

feeling good is the point of games

who cares if you are just on normal, have fun

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

grobbo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wyz389/you_know_what_thomin_the_snow_doesnt_seem_so_bad/

Adorable and brilliant.

I also learnt from this thread that Vilitch loudly complains that Thommin is getting seasick if you take them out onto the ocean, and lectures him not to get sand in his helmet if they're in the desert. Oh, my creepy little guys, you rock.

Vilitch bitches about the snow so much that he ends up breaking the 4th wall. He says something like "YOU! Click me out of here!".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For future DLC I think we could expect these over TW3's lifespan:

Chaos dwarves obviously going to be first, then followed by some order of:
Dwarf DLC.
Nagash and Neferata, vampire units like Graveguard (halberds), infantry vampires, unmounted zombo dragons, a revamped Nagash end game crisis where the AI undead factions become the crisis and the player undead faction can choose to join or not.
Tamurkhan vs Elspeth.
Thanquol and rat demons and Vermintide end-game crisis.
Todbringer and Red duke FLC or DLC campaigns.
Araby in that new fancy province.
Khuresh and Ind after some years for lore to get hastily written.
Cathay dragons and Monkey King, Nippon looks doubtful.
One Lord each for the Mono-God demons.
Dogs of War or some border prince area update, though doubtful it would be any better then what Cataph has modded in or will mod in TW3.
Norsca DLC lords and faction update and longshot of Surtha Ek, legendary chariot lord.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 28, 2022

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Eltharion's greatest challenge yet, A-posing Kostaltyn on a manticore.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For future DLC I think we could expect these over TW3's lifespan:

Presumably they'll add something to Kislev. It's the base faction pretty much.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

trying Cathay in IE for the first time and lol at the Greenskins out here being the Dimmed Sunz dim sum

I just had a caravan whose leader was named Rong Wan. Part of me appreciates the pun, the other part is giving it a bit of the side eye...

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Eltharion's greatest challenge yet, A-posing Kostaltyn on a manticore.

hey, it's still wysiwyg so i'll allow it

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Gonkish posted:

Vilitch bitches about the snow so much that he ends up breaking the 4th wall. He says something like "YOU! Click me out of here!".

Tzeentch lords being able to break the 4th wall is something I'm totally fine with :allears:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Presumably they'll add something to Kislev. It's the base faction pretty much.

Re-named Baba Yaga, mother Ostyanka IIRC, is a sure bet I think. Probably as part of an expansion generally adding Ungol (that's the sort of Tatar/Siberian non-Slavic other ethnicity in Kislev, who hopefully haven't just been made out to be Slavs) units to the roster, alongside hags as a different type of spellcaster. A FLC adding some more great orthodoxy-specific units and hopefully campaign mechanics to flesh out Kostaltyn a bit more would also be highly welcome I think, as would just a generic combat hero.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 28, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
fimir faction :evilbuddy:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

grobbo posted:

Adorable and brilliant.

I really can't get enough of Vilitch's voice lines. What a stupid-rear end saturday morning cartoon villain of a character. I love him. I think he's my new favorite dude in this setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Tirranek posted:

Tzeentch lords being able to break the 4th wall is something I'm totally fine with :allears:

N'kari also threatens the player with "You think you're safe up there?".