Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can see the studio making sequels off Nope, with or without Peele’s help. And honestly, I’d watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The monster eats more than it can handle and barfs all over the house, because it is a cat

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CelticPredator posted:

Also JJ went over to the Haywood’s house and deuced out 40+ people’s chunks for the sake of being an rear end. JJ is a rude alien!

Just marking his territory

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The_Doctor posted:

I can see the studio making sequels off Nope, with or without Peele’s help. And honestly, I’d watch them.

I’ve said it but JJ’s brother should disguise itself as a giant grogu balloon at the macys fair

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given it doesn't seem to have any real control over the EMP effect, a member of the species probably couldn't hide for long anywhere but remote areas of Earth because there's no way it wouldn't get noticed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nope 2: Skinwalker Ranch Showdown
Nope 3: NRQZ

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'd watch Naru from Prey fight one of JJs species

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The monster eats more than it can handle and barfs all over the house, because it is a cat
I thought it had the fake horse clogging its throat which is why he did the blood rain. I assume it had to 'spit out' undigestible items but there wasn't a blood rain to come with the weird nickel rain that got Otis Sr. -- just metal.

Presumably it was able to completely digest or 'reduce to unidentifiable lumps' things other than metal and plastic.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I missed this in theaters; worth twenty buckaroo’s to rent in UHD?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Nessus posted:

I thought it had the fake horse clogging its throat which is why he did the blood rain. I assume it had to 'spit out' undigestible items but there wasn't a blood rain to come with the weird nickel rain that got Otis Sr. -- just metal.

Presumably it was able to completely digest or 'reduce to unidentifiable lumps' things other than metal and plastic.

In the scene just before it spews the blood chunks, you can hear the people screaming, then JJ does a very visible scrunch motion and the screams stop.

So yeah I agree, the horse statue clogged it up, JJ realized and spat everything up- but had to liquefy the people first to aid this motion, I guess. As opposed to this being its natural digestion process, or an act of revenge on the Haywoods specifically.

The question is 'why on the Haywood house'? Just marking its territory? Revenge?
But also interesting is the last known time it spat up indigestible items was also over the Haywood ranch, AND that it possibly hung out just next to them for months without bothering them. Even in the final scene, it only responded when Em played the signal- it was fine with them running around all day setting up the WWIAFTM

I've got a few theories:

1) JJ is generally nocturnal, or prefers overcast skies, which fits with its ambush/camouflage style. The exceptions would be strange circumstances, namely indigestion from the hiker's belongings, and Em playing a lure-call, both of which prompted it to move in broad daylight with no cover.

2a) JJ considered the Haywood ranch to be its 'lair'- a place to poo poo and sleep, but not to hunt, for fear of attracting attention to where it sleeps.

2b) Alternative to the previous, JJ simply didn't realize there were horses to grab from the Haywood's. OJ probably had them inside at night, and JJ wasn't active enough during the day to realize. This only changed during the movie, first when Ghost was still outside for some reason, and then when Clover/the statue were also outside later on.

Ghost being outside is a bit of a mystery- did OJ forget? Did Ghost escape and decide to go hang out in the corral? Did Jupe's kids let him out, like Clover, although at this point I don't think they had reason to. Perhaps this is another 'bad miracle', an unlikely coincidence that brought JJ to the Haywood's attention... and them to its.

3) JJ didn't take any other humans in between the hikers and the film, as it would've poo poo the keys and coins on the ranch and that wasn't mentioned. Nor did it take horses directly from the Haywoods, as that would've been mentioned as well. Likely it was solely subsisting on horses from Jupe for the last few months.

4) Why did JJ arrive early to the Star Lasso show? Was it still hungry because the statue stopped it from digesting Clover + other horse? Just upset at the stomach pain? Though when it grabbed the people I agree with some other posters that was likely because they were looking at it, more so than because it was hungry. Why did it hang around long enough for OJ to arrive- too full from the people, feeling territorial, still trying to get Lucky?

5) JJ was starving during the final scene, having had to spit out its previous haul of the Star Lasso experience audience. Possibly the last meal it had was Clover and/or the horse it got from Jupe that night. So that's why it moved during the day and generally seemed pretty aggressive, rather than because it was mad at the Haywoods and co. (Remember they set up all the tube guys without issue).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much all of JJ's behaviour is up to speculation, though you can connect a few dots.

I remember reading earlier about a zoo worker talking about one of the gorillas being especially gentle and calm when sick, which stands out because most animals go kinda nuts when sick or injured, becoming very aggressive and unpredictable. Alligators will eat a mate they've lived with for years. Predators avoid prey that acts erratically because it might be sick with something they could catch, or otherwise simply doesn't act like prey is supposed to. And makes sense, because animals have very little context of what's happening to them, and an illness or injury could very well be fatal to them, leading to a slow horrible death by starvation. (which to be fair is the fate for most wild animals eventually if they don't get eaten first) Aside from maybe seeking out plants it knows have medicinal qualities, or throwing up, an animal doesn't have much recourse when sick except to eat well and hope it can tough it out.

JJ probably is acting erratically because what it thought was perfectly good food turned out to be an inedible, and likely painful stomach blockage. Combine that with the feeding habits it's been used to being disrupted, and being led to a whole bunch of prey that are all staring at it- well, it goes apeshit. (Pun semi-intended) Now, ejecting the remains over the Haywood house is very much ambiguous- maybe it happened to be returning to its lair after gorging itself and needed to hock up some extra, maybe it's territorial marking, maybe it's making a mess because it's in a bad mood.

Jean Jacket isn't just an alien animal, but a large predator, like a wolf, a lion or a chimp, and thus its behaviour, while recognisably animal, is just complex enough to be especially dangerous, it's not like a jellyfish. Though like aquatic animals, it only has a limited number of ways it can interact with the world- hide, eat, regurgitate, and threat display.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

5) JJ was starving during the final scene, having had to spit out its previous haul of the Star Lasso experience audience. Possibly the last meal it had was Clover and/or the horse it got from Jupe that night. So that's why it moved during the day and generally seemed pretty aggressive, rather than because it was mad at the Haywoods and co. (Remember they set up all the tube guys without issue).

Wouldn't its last meal have been the TMZ guy or Holst?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wouldn't its last meal have been the TMZ guy or Holst?

Last meal previous to eating those guys. I'm going under the assumption that JJ is nocturnal, so coming out during the day is unusual, driven by it being very hungry since it lost its last few meals.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I liked Nuh-uh, but thought the series had grown dull by No Way, No How

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The 8th installment: Nein

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Has there been a TF2 parody?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Was it possible to see what medication Holst was taking? I realize that the important thing is that he's dying from something but I'm still curious. I assume it's some form of cancer, considering the constrictor-leopard footage he keeps watching.

Fell apart in the end but on the whole l loved this movie. Peele's best yet.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

who would win in a fight, predator or nope

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Someone on Reddit essentially made a short fan film:

It’s a bit spoilery for the film, so if you’ve not see Nope, don’t watch this.

https://imgur.com/a/vj9mv2V

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh.

The dad knew about JJ. He kept OJ in the dark about it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

who would win in a fight, predator or nope

Mighty as well ask who could win, Batman or Superman.

It would depend on if the Predator's gadgets would survive the electromagnetic field put out by JJ. Otherwise, depends on whether JJ could sense an invisible Predator.

I'd imagine that if JJ found a Pred and swallowed them, it would be a very disagreeable meal because of backup melee weapons like the claws.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Astrochicken posted:

Id like to be the latest person to say that digestion scene stayed with me for a while. It kinda feels like something out of a Junji Ito manga. Just real unsettling.

Got that feeling during the scene at their house afterwards. Felt the same way during Us when the Tethered do their hands across America - like a shot straight out of his work

Bizarre multiple people found the Star Lasso scene hilarious - Jean Jacket's interior gave me Under the Skin processing vibes as I hadn't realized it was a creature itself yet. Figured it was some kind of techo-organic deal.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 28, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

JJ is a giant horrible thoughtless predator gunning for the apex spot and I have zero remorse about exterminating every single member of its species on our planet.

Wishing death on a cryptid. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

F4rt5 posted:

Dunno if this was mentioned earlier but I thought the digestion scenes reminded me of the low budget effects used to great… effect… in Under The Skin. It’s like just a few cloth sheets

I saw a car commercial with flowing thin fabric and was triggered

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Rented this last night and I’m angry I didn’t see this in a packed theater. The whole concept is amazing, and the execution was beautiful. I really hope Paramount keeps giving Peele imax money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The_Doctor posted:

Someone on Reddit essentially made a short fan film:

It’s a bit spoilery for the film, so if you’ve not see Nope, don’t watch this.

https://imgur.com/a/vj9mv2V

What a jerk JJ is

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

wondering at the rationale of Jupe inviting OJ to the family live show after OJ asked about possibly being able to buy back the horses in the future. I mean I guess Jupe was high enough on his own supply that he'd assume OJ would be so wowed UFOs were real that he'd let 'his' horses being 'abducted' go unless I missed something. Or that was his really passive aggressive way of 'getting back' at OJ for stealing that fake horse.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

He wouldn’t think of it as getting back at OJ because he was sure enough he had everything under control to have his own family right in the danger zone, his logic was probably that OJ would be willing to let the horsedeath slide out of amazement at UFOs being real.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, agreed. He just really wants to promote it and he wants everyone there. He invited Mary Jo too.

The kids breaking into the ranch at night to gently caress with OJ, that was revenge for stealing the horse statue.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The through line I detected was 'OJ starts asking about getting horses back (presumably never came up before) -> Jupe invites him to the opening night -> Jupe's idea is probably "well unfortunately that's where your horses went", possibly followed by a business pitch'

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

He wouldn’t think of it as getting back at OJ because he was sure enough he had everything under control to have his own family right in the danger zone, his logic was probably that OJ would be willing to let the horsedeath slide out of amazement at UFOs being real.

lol I didn't think Jupe was trying to kill him since yeah, Jupe thought this was safe enough to turn into a family live show. I meant as a mean little "here's what I'm doing to your horses" as opposed to a "this is so amazing you'll forget I'm probably killing your horses"

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I also thought it was clever that in the transition between flying saucer and Evangelion Angel that Jean Jacket looked like a weather balloon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Spoilers: HD screenshots

It's not 100% clear that JJ has a camera obscura pinhole in the front, just that it has a notch

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should make a JJ inflatable slide at universal with the set

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Could JJ be a dig at JJ Abrams?

JJ is the big mystery box of the movie and the reveal is that it's actually much simpler and dumber than we expected. By the end JJ is putting on a huge visual spectacle to distract from the fact that it's actually quite insubstantial.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I doubt it because it’s not called JJ in the film but Jean Jackert.

I’m just lazy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Such a cool rear end design

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Glad I watched it in theatre, I wanna watch it again, movie is rad.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MacheteZombie posted:

Such a cool rear end design

Watching it for a second time and seeing JJ changing slowly behind OJ, obscured slightly, gave me chills. Then the full money shots... So good.

Man, Nope rules so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, it's a great design. The mix of classic UFO imagery, religious and angelic geometry, and marine and fungal biology is so good. And the animal behaviour is on point.