Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Case chat: I ordered one of these JSAUX ones as an alternative with some realistic internal storage. It won't arrive for like 2 more weeks so I can't add anything further about it yet.

I fully expect a review of this when it comes in. I like the extra storage it might provide.

Although lol that it shows an airpod case in their mock-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I fully expect a review of this when it comes in. I like the extra storage it might provide.

Although lol that it shows an airpod case in their mock-up.

Wait what's wrong with the airpods (or any TWS earbud set)? I mean I personally wouldn't use one for gaming due to the latency concerns we've previously discussed, but that's not an unreasonable accessory that you might want to carry along with you (even it's for your phone and not the Dreck.) Headphones, a PSU, a battery bank, those are perfectly cromulent options to throw in that bag (although I'd have wired headphones in mine.)

If anything, the most ridiculous part is the full-size SD card slots, which of course don't fit in the Dreck (or the Switch, or your phone, etc.) And of course you'd need not one but five slots for cards you can't use in anything! (Hell, a USB card reader would make more sense to throw in there now that I think of it.)

But anyways yeah I can totally do a side-by-side comparison, maybe even eventually adding in the base versus premium OEM cases.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have AirPods but wouldn’t ever try and pair them with my deck. It seems like a weird inclusion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was annoyed I couldn't plug a USB dongle into the deck for my wireless headphones and scoffed at the idea of using BT because of the latency until someone itt thread was like "it's fine you are being dramatic" and I have logged probably 150 hours my deck and probably 148 hours of it was over a BT connection. I have never once been remotely bothered by it. Yeah there is a micro delay but it affects basically nothing unless you are playing a rhythm game on hard or something and cords can smd.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Opopanax posted:

Jesus, my phone was getting low so I used the Deck's charger since it was next to me, and it took my phone from 5% to 75% in about 10 minutes. I'm surprised steam didn't shoot out of it
:rimshot:

Atomizer posted:

If anything, the most ridiculous part is the full-size SD card slots, which of course don't fit in the Dreck (or the Switch, or your phone, etc.) And of course you'd need not one but five slots for cards you can't use in anything! (Hell, a USB card reader would make more sense to throw in there now that I think of it.)
Most PCs and laptops with built-in SD card slots only have slots for the full-sized version, which is why must microSD cards you buy even today come with adapters. The slots are designed to hold the microSD card and the adapter, in case you need to transfer something from a PC. At least that's my take on it, and I think it's a good idea personally.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
I've had the Magglass Matte screen protector on my glossy 256 for a week now. $20 on amazon. For anyone with a glossy deck, I'd say it's very worth it.

+ It does an excellent job eliminating reflections and glare
+ Fit was perfect and installation was easy since you can lift it back up and adjust

- Screen protector is probably entirely pointless on a device this size
- Viewed straight on there is a slight amount of blurring, at an angle it's pretty significant

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Commander Keene posted:

:rimshot:

Most PCs and laptops with built-in SD card slots only have slots for the full-sized version, which is why must microSD cards you buy even today come with adapters. The slots are designed to hold the microSD card and the adapter, in case you need to transfer something from a PC. At least that's my take on it, and I think it's a good idea personally.

Those slots are there because it's a remolded switch carrying case and the switch uses cartridges that size. They aren't going to order up new protection flaps just for the deck so now you have slots for your SD cards/dainty handkerchief/guitar picks.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I've had the Magglass Matte screen protector on my glossy 256 for a week now. $20 on amazon. For anyone with a glossy deck, I'd say it's very worth it.

+ Fit was perfect and installation was easy since you can lift it back up and adjust

- Viewed straight on there is a slight amount of blurring, at an angle it's pretty significant

I just bought the same one and would agree with all of this. One extra point, I messed up the install and had a few specs of dust a d air bubbles underneath. Was getting ready to try and get another one but by the next day the air bubbles were gone and the specs of dusts invisible (to me). Was quite impressed. It definitely makes it a bit blurry but for non text stuff it looks a whole lot better without the reflections.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

I have AirPods but wouldn’t ever try and pair them with my deck. It seems like a weird inclusion.

My AirPods Pro are the only BT headphones I have, and they have been fine for Yakuza 0 and Vampire Survivors and a tiny bit of FFXIV. I guess there might be latency I don’t notice?

They live in my pants pocket though, because I always need them for phone calls, so I don’t need space in a case for them.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Bluetooth audio latency is a lot lower than it used to be (assuming your devices all use more recent BT standards).

I’m very sensitive to sync issues (my wife thinks I’m a maniac when I start rebooting and reconnecting devices because I perceive some tiny delay when we’re watching a show), but I have no problem playing games with airpods.

Edit: I haven’t actually tried it on the Deck, though.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I bought an extra case because I didn't know it came with a case. So for those who haven't gotten one yet, the Deck comes with a pretty nice case already.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

veni veni veni posted:

Community layouts are so wonderful. I can’t believe I’m playing stalker call of Pripyat on a handheld with controller controls and it actually feels good and I didn’t have to do poo poo.

Wholeheartedly agree, some official layouts don't even work properly (I'm looking at you, Risk of Rain) or are really crap (Prey). Kind of wish setting the dead zone was easier, since the sticks on Prey turn the game into a Parkinson's simulator.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

I bought an extra case because I didn't know it came with a case. So for those who haven't gotten one yet, the Deck comes with a pretty nice case already.

I like that it comes with a little mesh bag that you can stuff the charger into and slip in between the case and the strap. very satisfying how it all fits together

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tagaziel posted:

Wholeheartedly agree, some official layouts don't even work properly (I'm looking at you, Risk of Rain) or are really crap (Prey). Kind of wish setting the dead zone was easier, since the sticks on Prey turn the game into a Parkinson's simulator.

It’s kind of shocking how lovely some of the official layouts are.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

These two are really easy to set up and extremely good.

Running the Jak & Daxter native port "OpenGOAL" on Steam Deck:

Switch to Desktop Mode.

Download and extract the latest normal linux release: https://github.com/open-goal/jak-project/releases

Rename your self-ripped Jack and Daxter ISO from "Jak and Daxter - The Precursor Legacy (USA) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).iso" to "jak1.iso"

Move jak1.iso to the same spot as the files "gk" and "extractor".

Right-click an empty space next to those files and click Open Terminal.

Type './extractor jak1.iso' and press Enter. The game will start.

Press the Y button. Change settings here if you want now.

In the graphics options, set resolution to 16:10.

Close the game.

That file gk will now start the game. Add it to your Steam library as a non-Steam game.

Rename the game to "Jak and Daxter - The Precursor Legacy" and add icon+cover art if you wish.

Close everything and return to Gaming Mode. The game runs flawlessly with the default controller layout.

Running the Ocarina of Time native port "Ship of Harkinian" on Steam Deck:

Switch to Desktop Mode.

Follow the discord link here: https://github.com/HarbourMasters/Shipwright

Download the latest Linux release.

Extract SOH-Linux.AppImage somewhere.

Download Ocarina of Time Gamecube Proto (Non Master Quest) from archive.org: https://archive.org/details/ocarina-of-time-proto

Extract the file and rename it "OOT_PAL_GC_DBG1.z64" (or OOT_PAL_GC.z64 for Master Quest).

Place the .z64 file next to the SOH-Linux.AppImage file.

Add SOH-Linux.AppImage to your Steam Library as a Non-Steam Game.

Rename the game "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" add icon+cover art if you wish.

Close everything and return to Game Mode.

Before running the game, browse community controller layouts. Look for mine with "Steam Deck" and "ShipofHarkinian" in the title.

Launch the game. Press L5 for the menu (bottom paddle), R5 to enable true Fullscreen, and use the right trackpad for mouse. When you're happy with the settings feel free to remap or switch layouts.

I can't wait until every beloved 3D Nintendo game is ported by the archival community.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tamba posted:

The charger that comes with the Switch only puts out 39W, while the deck can draw up to 45W. People haven't really gotten it to draw more than 39W in real life use, so the Switch charger will be enough to keep it stable forever while playing (but it might not charge past that if you're actually playing something that completely maxes out the deck).
If you're playing something less intensive (or when the Deck is turned off), it might charge slightly slower, but will work just fine.

e:

No, letting the battery get very low is actually bad for it. The best practice is keeping it plugged in while over 90% charge, because it will switch from charging the battery to directly powering the Deck without touching the battery at all.

This is incredibly late since I haven't looked at this thread for a while, but really? It's okay to just leave it plugged in when I'm not using it?

I don't play on my steam deck every day, but it seems as if, even if I shut it completely off, if I leave it for a few days the battery will be completely dead when I come back to it. Should I just be leaving it plugged in?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I finally got the Epic Games version of MW5: Mercenaries working on the SteamDeck even Gaming mode, including all DLC and even mods. Instead of typing it all up again I'll just link to my little guide I made on Reddit. Maybe one of the 4 other people who bought this game on Epic and have a Steam Deck will appreciate it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechwarrior5/comments/wyavng/comment/im61rdm/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I even set up syncthing between my Desktop and Steamdeck so it can sync savegames and mods. Pretty cool!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Framboise posted:

This is incredibly late since I haven't looked at this thread for a while, but really? It's okay to just leave it plugged in when I'm not using it?

I don't play on my steam deck every day, but it seems as if, even if I shut it completely off, if I leave it for a few days the battery will be completely dead when I come back to it. Should I just be leaving it plugged in?

Really? I don't play mine nearly every day either, but it seems to hold its charge very well when I'm not using it to be honest.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Nukelear v.2 posted:

There's matte and glossy? I don't see mention of them on steam's product page

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

There's matte and glossy? I don't see mention of them on steam's product page

The 512 has a matte screen the 256 and 64 do not.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
They call it etched glass because they wanted to sound fancy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm excited to see how far in the queue I end up tomorrow

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Framboise posted:

I don't play on my steam deck every day, but it seems as if, even if I shut it completely off, if I leave it for a few days the battery will be completely dead when I come back to it.
I'm surprised that it dies after just a few days if you fully shut it down. Sleep mode I'm not so surprised about

There's actually a Battery Storage Mode you can put the Deck into if you're not planning to use it for a longer period of time, but you have to plug it in to use it again.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

So is there a third party docking station I can order off of Amazon that people recommend here? Most I see recommended are the jsaux dock and USB hubs that will certainly get the job done but I wanna see the thing upright when it's plugged into a TV or monitor

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

on google, i see advice against replacing the hard drive. good idea, bad idea?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Chucktesla posted:

So is there a third party docking station I can order off of Amazon that people recommend here? Most I see recommended are the jsaux dock and USB hubs that will certainly get the job done but I wanna see the thing upright when it's plugged into a TV or monitor

The Jsaux docks do hold your deck upright though?

https://www.jsaux.com/products/upgraded-docking-station-for-steam-deck?_pos=1&_fid=327a7b526&_ss=c&variant=43116910248156

Be warned: everyone is saying it took around a month to get their dock after ordering from them. They had a blog post recently where they said they just got swamped and are trying to ship them out as fast as possible. I bought mine on the 8/15 and finally got a tracking number on 8/26.

Reviews seem very good though.

Unless you meant the dock absolutely has to be on Amazon?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Do some games just take forever to transfer from the internal drive to a SSD? I'm trying to transfer Warhammer inquisitor (around 80gb iirc) and it's been about 1/2 hour and the move content bar is about 3/8 full. Would probably have been faster to delete and redownload.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
My end of may '22 256gb reserve got bumped up to q3! :woop:

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The Jsaux docks do hold your deck upright though?

https://www.jsaux.com/products/upgraded-docking-station-for-steam-deck?_pos=1&_fid=327a7b526&_ss=c&variant=43116910248156

Be warned: everyone is saying it took around a month to get their dock after ordering from them. They had a blog post recently where they said they just got swamped and are trying to ship them out as fast as possible. I bought mine on the 8/15 and finally got a tracking number on 8/26.

Reviews seem very good though.

Unless you meant the dock absolutely has to be on Amazon?

Amazon for next day delivery because turns out my deck might be here tomorrow? Which seems wild to me. Anyways there are a bunch of docking stations on Amazon that all have like three star ratings with ten reviews and I was wondering if there was a cheap one people liked

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah, this thing rips.
Of course I've only played vampire survivors so far.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

People in this thread have done it with no issues.

I personally wouldn’t do it because it seemed like a pain in the rear end lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

Really? I don't play mine nearly every day either, but it seems to hold its charge very well when I'm not using it to be honest.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm surprised that it dies after just a few days if you fully shut it down. Sleep mode I'm not so surprised about

There's actually a Battery Storage Mode you can put the Deck into if you're not planning to use it for a longer period of time, but you have to plug it in to use it again.

I mean I'm pretty sure I've been shutting it off?

Still, the question stands of "is it okay to leave this plugged in"? Because that goes against everything I'd heard before.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Anyone know how to enable dark theme in Chrome in desktop mode on Steam Deck?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

Running the Ocarina of Time native port "Ship of Harkinian" on Steam Deck:

Yo thanks for this. The link for the rom did not work for me as that download's sha1 did not match what the SOH was looking for. googling the sha1 they want got me a working link. Got it running, grabbed the community control layout and hell yeah this owns.

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Anyone know how to enable dark theme in Chrome in desktop mode on Steam Deck?

For the Google Chrome flatpak:

nano ~/.var/app/com.google.Chrome/config/chrome-flags.conf

Or for the Chromium flatpak:

nano ~/.var/app/org.chromium.Chromium/config/chromium-flags.conf

Add these lines:
code:
--force-dark-mode
--enable-features=WebUIDarkMode
Save. Restart Chrome.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mescal posted:

If it's the posts/articles I'm thinking of that I assume you read, it was mostly geared toward making a modification to the Deck to allow a 2242 sized SSD to be installed. The hardware lead from Valve understandably says not to do that due to power and heat concerns. However replacing it with the same sized 2230 will be just fine (as long as all the ICs are on the top, that is). Can be a little bit finicky to get the back cover off due to the very good clips keeping it together but can be done easily and I literally did it within the first hour of receiving mine the other day.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1563425075939856384

Do you *have* to do it? No, you can do just fine with micro SD cards. If you don't want to risk it, don't do it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I was annoyed I couldn't plug a USB dongle into the deck for my wireless headphones and scoffed at the idea of using BT because of the latency until someone itt thread was like "it's fine you are being dramatic" and I have logged probably 150 hours my deck and probably 148 hours of it was over a BT connection. I have never once been remotely bothered by it. Yeah there is a micro delay but it affects basically nothing unless you are playing a rhythm game on hard or something and cords can smd.

Subjunctive posted:

My AirPods Pro are the only BT headphones I have, and they have been fine for Yakuza 0 and Vampire Survivors and a tiny bit of FFXIV. I guess there might be latency I don’t notice?

They live in my pants pocket though, because I always need them for phone calls, so I don’t need space in a case for them.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Bluetooth audio latency is a lot lower than it used to be (assuming your devices all use more recent BT standards).

I’m very sensitive to sync issues (my wife thinks I’m a maniac when I start rebooting and reconnecting devices because I perceive some tiny delay when we’re watching a show), but I have no problem playing games with airpods.

Edit: I haven’t actually tried it on the Deck, though.

It partially depends on the user and what you're using the BT audio for, but beyond that the actual hardware and codec play a huge role in determining latency. The worst-case scenario is like 400+ ms, and the best case is closer to 100 ms, which is much closer to being un-noticeable. (I'm quoting numbers that are generally correct from bluetooth audio device reviews that I watch.)

Commander Keene posted:

Oh sure, I'm aware of all of that, but I'll point out that in contrast, the laptop I'm using right now (an HP Chromebook) only has a micro SD slot. Also, those are full-sized SD cards (read the labels) in the product shot, not micro SD, so they're indeed entirely unusable on the Dreck. It's just slightly lazy product design and preparation of their promo materials.

It's not the same, but it reminds me a little of how the game card holders for my Switch come with say 16 slots...and under each one is a micro SD slot, as if anybody was going to carry around 16 micro SD cards and swap those back and forth. Technically the space is there, so why not, it's just not something that basically any customer is going to use in that specific way.

Chucktesla posted:

Here's an option.

Mescal posted:

It doesn't have a hard drive, unless you're bringing along an external one.

Danith posted:

Do some games just take forever to transfer from the internal drive to a SSD? I'm trying to transfer Warhammer inquisitor (around 80gb iirc) and it's been about 1/2 hour and the move content bar is about 3/8 full. Would probably have been faster to delete and redownload.

Are you transferring to an external SSD, like a PC-grade one (i.e. a SATA or NVMe drive in an enclosure) or a cheaper USB flash drive? It depends, because lesser SS storage is both slower and lower quality, and may heat up faster and thus throttle itself. Also, there's a difference in performance between large files and a bunch of tiny ones, the latter being more intensive. As it stands, it sounds like your game is transferring roughly in the 10-20 MB/s range, which is probably realistic for a mixed transfer to a lower-end flash drive (and again, I can only guess what kind of SSD you're using.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mescal posted:

I don't have my deck yet and bought a 56 dollar 512gb ssd off eBay. Gonna be one of the first things I do.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Bad idea because of overheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The only concern with overheating is if you use a 2242 drive instead of a 2230 one. Using a 2242 drive requires you to remove a thermal pad that sinks the battery charger IC to the chassis, and that IC can possibly overheat without that. But if you just use a 2230 drive, there shouldn't be a problem.