Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

So....Games.
Well… I don’t read the Smash Bros thread in games but I somehow doubt the reaction to the last dlc character was the same there.

Anyone questioning these posts was banned for racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peachfart posted:

SA can be pretty bad at times, but all the other forums I've visited are worse.

sa has the only usable sports forum i've ever seen

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Peachfart posted:

Would like to echo this. It’s so much worse everywhere else.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Well… I don’t read the Smash Bros thread in games but I somehow doubt the reaction to the last dlc character was the same there.

Lmao what is wrong with these people?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

And the irony of course is there's tons of actually insanely racist positions and stances people there take but its couched in a "woke" way and allowed lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its maybe not cool to admit but i really enjoy posting in games even if some people have the wrong opinions on the Doom series. i can't imagine any other game-focused board being better.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The penny arcade forums were decent for nerd chat last time I looked, had a low key sa feel.

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

And the irony of course is there's tons of actually insanely racist positions and stances people there take but its couched in a "woke" way and allowed lol

Hey now, when they advocate for racial segregation they’re approaching it from an informed modern perspective which is totally progressive and not at all racist. They voted for Obama, dontcha know?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its maybe not cool to admit but i really enjoy posting in games even if some people have the wrong opinions on the Doom series. i can't imagine any other game-focused board being better.

games is the 2nd best gaming forum on SA, it is good

behind imp zone, of course

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sebmojo posted:

The penny arcade forums were decent for nerd chat last time I looked, had a low key sa feel.

I posted there for awhile and the mods were really provincial and hostile. A bunch of us started writing a comic review blog together and the mods threatened to ban us for “using the forums for free advertising” despite it just being “hey we like this community and we want to write reviews together, if anyone wants to contribute they’re welcome”.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I used to post on Gametrailers in Middle and High School and I am very happy that there is no archive of that site's forums.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

tbh this kind of post (and being banned for disagreeing in any way) would have happened on SA too back during the Troubles era. the late 20-teens were a loving weird time everywhere

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Arivia posted:

I posted there for awhile and the mods were really provincial and hostile. A bunch of us started writing a comic review blog together and the mods threatened to ban us for “using the forums for free advertising” despite it just being “hey we like this community and we want to write reviews together, if anyone wants to contribute they’re welcome”.

people trying to create and post unique content on MY forum?? i'll show em!!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Well, that explains this one

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

Would like to echo this. It’s so much worse everywhere else.

Lmao what is wrong with these people?

I said Knuckles was black once and they banned me for “comparing black people to animals.” They also made me change my name because the admins were tired of getting reports about it from people thinking I was a real life nazi.

I found this screen when looking for the one I posted earlier. It’s not as bad as the Smash Bros racism stuff (which got way worse than what I posted) but it gives you an idea of the level of discussion in the off topic forum:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I said Knuckles was black once and they banned me for “comparing black people to animals.” They also made me change my name because the admins were tired of getting reports about it from people thinking I was a real life nazi.

Lol, that's some very stable moderation.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Someone here absolutely has an active account still...Do the needful.

Anfurpology

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Peachfart posted:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Games is at the very least a better source of information on any given game than whatever wiki Google tries to send you to whenever you're trying to figure something out.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

That's not true, it doesn't have nearly enough circumcision analogies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Roth posted:

I used to post on Gametrailers in Middle and High School and I am very happy that there is no archive of that site's forums.

I got my middle school ip banned from the GameShark forums. I don't remember what got it banned in the end but one account went down for telling a mod "GTA vice city can't be GTA 4 because London 1969 exists"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Alaois posted:

This is actually the second time Chip has worked for Volition.

The first time he was hired while they were developing Agents of Mayhem

lmfao my condolences

Heath posted:

What's the deal with Volition?

their problem is being mostly a AA developer forced to meet AAA expectations

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I found this screen when looking for the one I posted earlier. It’s not as bad as the Smash Bros racism stuff (which got way worse than what I posted) but it gives you an idea of the level of discussion in the off topic forum:

lmao

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
really enjoying saints row, it starts v bad and is FO NV launch janky but it's a hoot after a while, buy on big discount

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Resetera is unbelievably bad from most screenshots ive seen. Ppl calling it boring are underselling it lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

games has a lot of insane posters and its fun to make them more insane. this is a clear benefit over resetera where saying lol at someone being a psycho gets your account deleted or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

their problem is being mostly a AA developer forced to meet AAA expectations

volition can make AAA games and have for years, people just put too much expectations on their poo poo instead of accepting it being fun in its own ways

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Goons sign up for a bobcat in a box like service. Somehow, and no one could have ever predicted this, the OP was a scammer.

BoxMystery.com - A bag of stuff that may or may not be worth your money

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

pentyne posted:

Goons sign up for a bobcat in a box like service. Somehow, and no one could have ever predicted this, the OP was a scammer.

I forgot how all that ended, other than obviously being a scam.

quote:

Jesus Christ you people are some creepy motherfuckers.

quote:

Eh..the internet detective work in this thread, while effective, was pretty easy to obtain.

quote:

You know what else was easy to obtain in this thread? Several hundred dollars.

:lol:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

lol drat

quote:

Not gonna lie, feeling pretty underwhelmed by my box. I received:

-iLogic earphones (cheap already, but only one earbud worked)
-plastic vampire teeth (Intended wearer? 4 year-old I'm guessing. Though anyone that tries to bite down with these would receive a mouthful of plastic shrapnel, as they seem very breakable and have virtually no hinge point)
-iTunes gift card ($10, pretty straight-forwardnot bad)
-K-Lite Lazer Lite (could maybe be enjoyable for my dog to chase around)
EDIT: The button just fell out. Not even kidding.
-Dickies guitar picks

I had no delusions that I'd get some amazing, high-priced stuff. I knew it would be cheap, but for thirty dollars I was hoping for either a stuffed box of really cheap but fun dollar store type junk or I don't know, something that I would at least get brief amusement out of, but most of this stuff has no application.

Also, I was a local buyer. Where was the SoCal specific stuff?

Overall: D+

quote:

I have no idea what kind of scam this was supposed to be, but I got:

- Funchop Chopstick Helper clip
- Giant Matchstick lighter
- Laser pointer

There's no way this is any more than $10, let alone $50 MSRP. poo poo, I've gotten more than this in every single Bag of Crap I've ordered from Woot. Completely ridiculous.

Edit: not even kidding, all of this is dollar store poo poo. I had low expectations, but this is just stupid.

quote:

I got two things in my box and two things only: a dollar store electronic pinball machine and a women's small sized LED flashing t-shirt. I guess this is probably a thirty dollar shirt or something

e: nope, it's a $19 shirt according to the brand's webite, so according to the statement that each box will be worth MSRP $50 then this SUPER PINBALL LCD VIDEO GAME is worth $31.

e2: its manufacturer declares it to have an MSRP of $4

It would have been less insulting if the guy had just taken the money and never sent anything

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

volition can make AAA games and have for years, people just put too much expectations on their poo poo instead of accepting it being fun in its own ways

sr1, 2 and to a lesser degree 3 are jank and dont even compare in production values to contemporaries. then theres agents of mayhem. you could say their most aaa game was SR4 and that was only after 3 was a hit. maybe one of the red factions?? idk their games always felt a bit budget (not as an insult)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I finally got my shipment from them, I got a T-shirt and Nothing else, Women's Medium lightup t-shirt (that doesn't work). If you search the OP's post history it seems like he made a Light up T-shirt company a while back as well as many other businesses.

ahahaha

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I think somebody from Volition once said that their entire game budget for SR3 was less than many other games' cutscene budget which is why they couldn't do nearly as many cutscenes as SR2. Really it's a miracle they managed to put out as many successes as they did since it sounds like they had proper funding for SR1 and 2 and then after that THQ just went "how about you do even more but with half the budget" and they had to compromise a ton just to get a game out in the end

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

sr1, 2 and to a lesser degree 3 are jank and dont even compare in production values to contemporaries. then theres agents of mayhem. you could say their most aaa game was SR4 and that was only after 3 was a hit. maybe one of the red factions?? idk their games always felt a bit budget (not as an insult)

their first AAA game was freespace 2 and nothing has ever topped it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ruflux posted:

I think somebody from Volition once said that their entire game budget for SR3 was less than many other games' cutscene budget which is why they couldn't do nearly as many cutscenes as SR2. Really it's a miracle they managed to put out as many successes as they did since it sounds like they had proper funding for SR1 and 2 and then after that THQ just went "how about you do even more but with half the budget" and they had to compromise a ton just to get a game out in the end

SR3 was a miracle it worked because it was basically GTA5-lite with what would now likely be referred to Rick&Morty-esque humor.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Uhhh has anyone checked in on Games recently? This behavior seems unwell assuming this person’s account of events is accurate

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
challenge creates innovation, which is why deep silver took away their qa team

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

pentyne posted:

Also lmao

Double lmao they were using a 2nd account as a hypeman

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 29, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pentyne posted:

god i remember this lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

SR3 was a miracle it worked because it was basically GTA5-lite with what would now likely be referred to Rick&Morty-esque humor.

Yeah, the back half of that game started to get off the rails pretty quick. SR4 doesn't even really have anything to do with Saints Row.

I'm rather liking the new one. It's got some bugs but it feels more like 2 than 3 did imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Frank Frank posted:

Uhhh has anyone checked in on Games recently? This behavior seems unwell assuming this person’s account of events is accurate

He is referencing ResetEra, not SA Games(which varies between good and ResetEra Lite)