Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I feel bad for the Sunset Overdrive devs. It's obvious they put a lot of love into that game and it's basically forgotten due to MS trying to make cable boxes. And it is a legit good game. Lots of fun details in the environments. The writing is fun. Game play is really good, though it takes a little while to fully open up and get great. It looks really good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I feel bad for the Sunset Overdrive devs. It's obvious they put a lot of love into that game and it's basically forgotten due to MS trying to make cable boxes.

Its got a lot of flaws. If it had been a Nintendo or Sony title it would have scored a point higher on a 10 point scale, which can be true at the same time. For a while you could go into metacritic (maybe you still can) and basically any multi plat release even ones with performance problems on other platforms would average 2 points higher out of 100 than what they did on xbox.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

I feel bad for the Sunset Overdrive devs. It's obvious they put a lot of love into that game and it's basically forgotten due to MS trying to make cable boxes. And it is a legit good game. Lots of fun details in the environments. The writing is fun. Game play is really good, though it takes a little while to fully open up and get great. It looks really good, too.

Microsoft made a game console and everyone who actually tried it thought it was okay. (This is an unpopular opinion.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

You know what I miss? Custom Games or even just lobby’s with randos. These days so few games give you a way to play anything that isn’t matchmade narrowly defined by devs gametype and map, is to have at least a dozen acquaintances who all play at the same time of day, own the same game, and play said game on the same console/PC. Remember when you could just join something on a server/game list and find something novel? And I’m not even talking about crazy stuff that turned things into full on new games like the original Counterstrike and Team Fortress, just stuff like turning on max vehicle spawns or changing starting weapons and the like. And instead of either going to a completely new group from scratch every match or the exact same people every night forever.

boot up unreal tournament, servers are still there

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If Splatoon had been a PS or XB game I still think it would have been much less popular

Of course, it was a unique for Nintendo first party , getting big attention for the relatively unpopular wiiu ,AND riding the amiibo craze that tied directly into that title when it came out. I'm sure it's done big numbers once it got a switch version but I suspect a lot of its original fandom has moved to Fortnite.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vandar posted:

There is a lot of BotW DNA in Genshin Impact.

breath of the waifu

Vakal
May 11, 2008
BOTW is what I hoped a game like Far Cry: Primal would be like.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DontMockMySmock posted:

breath of the waifu

Would you explain sea shanties?

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Is constantly confusing Sunset Overdrive with Total Overdose

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

JediTalentAgent posted:

If Splatoon had been a PS or XB game I still think it would have been much less popular

This is true for every Nintendo exclusive because there are still a ton of people who never have and never will play video games outside of a Nintendo console.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

is pepsi ok posted:

This is true for every Nintendo exclusive because there are still a ton of people who never have and never will play video games outside of a Nintendo console.

It’s way more that the Nintendo brand is associated with quality in peoples heads (whether you think it’s deserved or not) and thus people are more willing to try out weird poo poo like “a versus multiplayer shooter where you can’t shoot each other you’re all squids” because “Nintendo wouldn’t be releasing this if it wasn’t good”

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Sunset Overdrive owns hard, really fun game that had the misfortune of being on the Xbox One. Same goes for the Killer Instinct reboot

Also Splatoon was fun and Nintendo games largely deserve their positive reputation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's also possible that, and hear me out here, Splatoon is pretty fun

galagazombie posted:

“Nintendo wouldn’t be releasing this if it wasn’t good”

Star Fox Zero..... :negative:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah Splatoon rules. I generally dislike online shooters but Splatoon is different enough that it doesn't feel like one. Also the original was my first experience with gyro controls which are a total gamechanger for console shooters.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm playing Twink's Awakening

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Harrow posted:

Star Fox Zero..... :negative:

It’s amazing how Nintendo keeps bungling this franchise when all anyone wants is essentially a Starfox 64 level expansion. Nintendo’s fine doing it with Mario Kart (Hell they’re currently releasing all new tracks for the 8 year old last entry) so I don’t see why they can’t do it for Starfox.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

kntfkr posted:

I'm playing Twink's Awakening

That has to be the title of a real book. It's too good.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
splatoons an ok game but the online infrastructure nintendo uses is so incredibly bad it really drags it down.
ruined smash for me too.

i just really can't believe i can remember back to when i played cheapo games like outtrigger on a 56k
on my dreamcast and didnt have to deal with constant stuttering and dropouts compared to nintendos service.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Splatoon is like a slightly more polished and slightly less horny Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash, and I wish anyone played Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash online because the actual gameplay is pretty fun even if its just with the bots from the surprisingly lengthy story mode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Sunset Overdrive owns hard, really fun game that had the misfortune of being on the Xbox One. Same goes for the Killer Instinct reboot

Also Splatoon was fun and Nintendo games largely deserve their positive reputation.

God this reminds me of Ryse Son of Rome which was basically a 4 hour tech demo for the kinect they added 2 hours of insanely detailed cut scenes to in order to push out a $60 release title.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

God this reminds me of Ryse Son of Rome which was basically a 4 hour tech demo for the kinect they added 2 hours of insanely detailed cut scenes to in order to push out a $60 release title.

It doesnt even need the Kinect since somebody close to release thankfully realized that was dumb and ended up being a 7/10 character action game that historical lookback would convince you was a 3/10 shitpile

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

Yeah Splatoon rules. I generally dislike online shooters but Splatoon is different enough that it doesn't feel like one.

Splatoon is to shooters what Smash Brothers is to fighting games

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

A bad game for casuals. Got it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Smash Bros be like "We can have any character from any game, time to put 19 identical anime sword guys"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Smash Bros be like "We can have any character from any game, time to put 19 identical anime sword guys"

Fire Emblem fans are the silent majority

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

any game that is a waifu simulator has a powerful presence standing behind it in support to attack in a moments notice

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I login GTAV online for the Amazon Prime benefits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

There's a deep-seated resistance to Xbox, for whatever reason, that makes this a self-fulfilling prophecy and prevents them from gaining traction.

I mean, Sunset Overdrive was right there and people refused so hard that Sony bought the dev.

Microsoft's pretty bad at developing their own franchises and has a history of hyping and then ignoring and abandoning their popular stuff that predates the Xbox. I blame their ridiculous internal politics.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I still remember how a lot of folks thought Brute Force and The Outfit were going to be big hits, but they just sort of came and went with little attention. I even remember Sudeki having quite a bit of attention before its launch, too. (I might be thining of Jade Empire, though)

I'm still a bit surprised Fable managed to become a long-running Xbox franchise, though.

edit: Project Spark

Hell, I remember the promo stuff for Spark and being really interested in it. It seemed to get a bit of a boom in interest when I think someone remade the P.T. in it, and then the next time I heard of it was seeing a copy of it on a clearance rack at a store. It completely felt like it ultimately went under the radar.

I know Dreams likely hasn't been the big hit Sony was really hoping for, but it seems like Dreams sparked (no pun intended) more continued interest and support since release despite that.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 30, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still remember how a lot of folks thought Brute Force and The Outfit were going to be big hits, but they just sort of came and went with little attention. I even remember Sudeki having quite a bit of attention before its launch, too. (I might be thining of Jade Empire, though)

I'm still a bit surprised Fable managed to become a long-running Xbox franchise, though.

edit: Project Spark

Hell, I remember the promo stuff for Spark and being really interested in it. It seemed to get a bit of a boom in interest when I think someone remade the P.T. in it, and then the next time I heard of it was seeing a copy of it on a clearance rack at a store. It completely felt like it ultimately went under the radar.

I know Dreams likely hasn't been the big hit Sony was really hoping for, but it seems like Dreams sparked (no pun intended) more continued interest and support since release despite that.

Brute Force now there's a game name i thought I'd never see again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vandar posted:

Aside from Genshin Impact and Immortals: Fenyx Rising, what other Breath of the Wild clones have released? Honest question, I'm actually curious.

The Pathless

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Devils Affricate posted:

Fire Emblem fans are the silent majority

The funny thing is that it doesn't even cater to fire emblem fans. Most of them sit there going, "why another sword guy and not one of the cool dudes with axes riding dragons? Or the fluffy murder chicken? Or anyone that uses lances? Or bows not even for smash? You could have at least given us Hector!"

FE is not only comically overrepresentssd ed in smash, it's done so in a comically boring way.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Brute Force now there's a game name i thought I'd never see again

A really good game. Launching bouncy saws at lizardmen was pretty cool. The human male named "tex" sometimes wielded TWO guns!!!!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess this opinion would be unpopular at volition but the new saints row definitely should not have gated the "real" finale behind the player earning like $15 million, cuz i doubt most players are gonna put in that kinda time. i used cheat engine because gently caress that

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Mechassault and Crimson Skies are the OG Xbox exclusives I want to see a revival of.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

galagazombie posted:

Mechassault and Crimson Skies are the OG Xbox exclusives I want to see a revival of.

the PC and Xbox Crimson Skies were awesome

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrQwerty posted:

the PC and Xbox Crimson Skies were awesome

Microsoft made great serial port controllers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

site posted:

i guess this opinion would be unpopular at volition but the new saints row definitely should not have gated the "real" finale behind the player earning like $15 million, cuz i doubt most players are gonna put in that kinda time. i used cheat engine because gently caress that

Most players aren't going to see the ending regardless. Only about a quarter of players saw the last mission in Saints Row IV (according to Steam achievements). For most people, the "end" of a video game is the bit where you got bored or distracted by something else and stopped playing. I don't know what proportion of people who get a false end then go on to get the real one, but my guess is it would be a decent chunk. Because by that time you've already whittled it down to the most dedicated players.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

All the superpowers in SR4 felt so bad, it felt like playing one of those GTA superpowers mod. They felt and looked like poo poo compared to something like Infamous 2 which had a real feel of power and momentum to it. Lifting a car in that game felt like you were picking up something huge but in SR4 it looked like a hollow piece of styrofoam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I didn't like most of the powers or the bullet sponge boss enemies but Saints Row 4 has some cool as hell parts and the ending was pretty great