Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sun never was the head of state of ROC and died early so you don't really know what he would have done if he had real power. But up to his death you can see the similarity between Sun and Nehru.

OTHO, If Nehru died early, he couldn't have passed the power to his daughter, which would make his legacy a more beloved figure.

Nah, Nehru's biggest legacy was not letting the State collapse right out of independence as was predicted by every smug whiteboi ethnographer and skull measurer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
But the new founded country kind of went through the collapse in the form of a violent partition.

I guess you can give Nehru credit for not letting the military take hold of the government, which happened to the many new countries post WW2.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Partition was essentially a final gently caress you by the british government satisfying the most reactionary elements of indian society and led to the largest forcible mass transfer of population in human history. The Mujahirs got their monkey's paw wish where they formed the elite of a part of the subcontinent but the religious firebranding ended up losing the socioeconomic basis of their power (land and serfs in the United Provinces). My grandma grew up watching both the 43 bengal famine and then Direct Action day in Calcutta, all because the colonial government of the day was busy stoking sectarian strife.

Nearly every other left leaning country going through decolonization got couped by spooks and turned into charnel houses. Indonesia is the closest point of comparison. The left didn't become martyrs or a statistic to be used by first world kids with a guilty conscience. Maybe I am biased but I don't want millions of the poorest and most marginalized people to die off because some army officer got their :20bux: from a state department ghoul who read a story about the gurkhas and thought they should rule the country for Indo-STANVAC.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Atrocious Joe posted:

The US Navy still longs for the time when they patrolled Chinese rivers

I don’t know, the loss of the Asiatic Fleet is one of the more embarrassing episodes in US military history.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1563410718976004096

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think I saw a twitter thread that was calling out RRR for glorifying Hindutva and engaging in fascist revisionism. Is that true or is that just people being oversensitive

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is his most recent article

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/3615247-can-we-discuss-our-founding-fathers-honestly-instead-of-canceling-them/

quote:

Instead of focusing on centuries-dead men, those who condemn a single dimension of our Founders should consider using their time, energy and resources to tackle the slavery and human trafficking going on in today’s world. Look no further than China for modern-day slavery and labor-camp abuses, or any city in the world where you happen to be at the moment for human-trafficking abuses.

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Aug 29, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think I saw a twitter thread that was calling out RRR for glorifying Hindutva and engaging in fascist revisionism. Is that true or is that just people being oversensitive

I also saw a similar thread and based on reading a bunch of reply threads beneath it I have concluded that: I don't have enough background to even begin to tell who to listen to lol

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the hill posted:

Instead of focusing on centuries-dead men, those who condemn a single dimension of our Founders should consider using their time, energy and resources to tackle the slavery and human trafficking going on in today’s world. Look no further than China for modern-day slavery and labor-camp abuses, or any city in the world where you happen to be at the moment for human-trafficking abuses.

I'm glad that america left slavery in the past and in no way has made it modern for our current day

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I thought the set for the final number with all the guns and a huge blocky statue of an overly muscled dude was a bit much.

But it's kinda hard to criticize what with you know the British being what they are. Since it's still nationalism with an aim of anticolonialism and liberation.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
RRR is the best movie of 2022, it’s incredible and completely justifies its run time

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

i think thats probably true in the same sense that top gun 2 is fascist revisionism its just not a very useful statement to make if youre only going to apply it to iconography and not narrative structure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Marzzle posted:

I'm glad that america left slavery in the past and in no way has made it modern for our current day

me too

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Marzzle posted:

I really like how our prison system is literally labor camps where political prisoners make poo poo for all our major companies for like 30 cents an hour and it's just invisible

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I really like how our prison system is literally labor camps where political prisoners make poo poo for all our major companies for like 30 cents an hour and it's just invisible

Its not invisible! Where I live you can pay to see those same prisoners wrestle animals in a rodeo. The white people here love it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lmao what

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean if they do try to expand it out to double/triple it's current size it might get more noticeable.

Actually what the hell do people expect to do if they start making the connection that prisoners are 'stealing' their jobs?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thechosenone posted:

what the hell do people expect to do if they start making the connection that prisoners are 'stealing' their jobs?

lol, you already know the answer to that. what does your heart tell you

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

indigi posted:

lmao what

http://www.angolarodeo.com/

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

what the gently caress lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol well honestly that's better than making them clean the governors mansion or stamp license plates, I bet it's more fun too

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

indigi posted:

lol well honestly that's better than making them clean the governors mansion or stamp license plates, I bet it's more fun too

This is literally the local lovely White Person Response. They get injured, potentially permanently, for incredibly meager rewards.

edit: They also do those other things, people can be thrown into solitary for not working. Its compulsory. It was a former plantation and the prisoners work the fields.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

theyre not political prisoners because they didnt do political crimes just incredibly petty ones that most countries wouldnt even give out a fine for get your facts straight tankie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

yeah very fun

Convict Poker

It's the ultimate poker game, and even winning has a price. Four inmate cowboys sit at a table in the middle of the arena playing a friendly game of poker. Suddenly, a wild bull is released with the sole purpose of unseating the poker players. The last man remaining seated is the winner.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

yeah very fun

Convict Poker

It's the ultimate poker game, and even winning has a price. Four inmate cowboys sit at a table in the middle of the arena playing a friendly game of poker. Suddenly, a wild bull is released with the sole purpose of unseating the poker players. The last man remaining seated is the winner.

I must shamefully admit I looked at one picture and didn’t get to this event, which sounds hilarious but certainly more awful than stamping a license plate. I was picturing something more like Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede and less like Running Man

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

indigi posted:

I mean the racial makeup of that particular prison is like 75% black so

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
it’s more fun when done by willing rodeo clowns rather than prisoners

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

indigi posted:

I must shamefully admit I looked at one picture and didn’t get to this event, which sounds hilarious but certainly more awful than stamping a license plate. I was picturing something more like Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede and less like Running Man

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/29/angola-prison-rodeo-louisiana

"When asked why he was participating in the rodeo, Aldrie Lathan had a blunt answer: “Money.”

Lathan, who is serving a 65-year sentence for armed robbery, has competed in the rodeo for nine years. He’s broken ribs, weathered concussions, and dislocated a shoulder. Still, he said, it’s “most definitely” worth it for the money."

The grand prize is $500

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I need to go to bed this country isn't worth my time.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

the latter. There are absolutely elements in it that basically expose the brainrot of the indian middle class's latent rightwing tendencies but the movie literally has characters wrestle tigers and mobs of thousands.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/29/angola-prison-rodeo-louisiana

"When asked why he was participating in the rodeo, Aldrie Lathan had a blunt answer: “Money.”

Lathan, who is serving a 65-year sentence for armed robbery, has competed in the rodeo for nine years. He’s broken ribs, weathered concussions, and dislocated a shoulder. Still, he said, it’s “most definitely” worth it for the money."

The grand prize is $500

Thinking about the tweet where the guy said the ccp was sick for making his grandpa work as a cinema usher

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Some Guy TT posted:

theyre not political prisoners because they didnt do political crimes just incredibly petty ones that most countries wouldnt even give out a fine for get your facts straight tankie

I was thinking of Nixon saying we need to crush the Blacks with the drug war but yeah also the fact that our "justice" system is just a giant extractive enterprise against the poor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Thinking about the tweet where the guy said the ccp was sick for making his grandpa work as a cinema usher

you mean enslaving him as a cinema usher

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's a good example of that weird sort of anti-colonial hypernationalism that comes out of places badly exploited by empire. the british in it are all hilariously evil caricatures which would be problematic against basically any other nationality but that's a dynamic that only exists because they were the ruling class, without which the conflicts in the movie don't make any sense. i think people are just overthinking a dumb crazy action movie

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Also indian blockbuster movies cannot be constrained by lovely concepts like subtlety.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

smdh at all these awful nazi movies that make the germans out to be crazed madmen wheres the subtlety gone?!?!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The British in the movie were a lot less evil than the real world.

At least I didn't see them starving everyone to death en mass.

They're awful petty tyrants abusing a single person at a time because they have the power.

Like the comically evil stuff that happens in the movie is so much nicer than the death and horror colonial empires inflicted in real life.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 06:40 on Aug 29, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

le price stabilité

I love this reasoning: "Our history is horrible, therefore we must condemn China".

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

Much like a ton of masala flicks its magical realism. What set RRR apart was really good CGI, stuntworks and well directed action and camera work.

:thunk: