Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah a 40w battery charger ic isnt something you want to overheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Out of spec hardware changes to a device riding the edge as much as the Deck does out of the box just seems like a stupid loving idea to be honest

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Just get a 1 or 2 TB MicroSD card.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Just get a 1 or 2 TB MicroSD card.

do they all have the same read speeds?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mescal posted:

do they all have the same read speeds?

definitely not

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is U3 worthwhile for the Deck or does it not practically go faster than U1?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Subjunctive posted:

Is U3 worthwhile for the Deck or does it not practically go faster than U1?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/best-microsd-cards-for-steam-deck suggests that U3 vs U1 doesn't matter too much. I ended up with the Sandisk ultra largely because Amazon had it next day shipping.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Not a great idea to buy SD cards on Amazon, they have frequent issues with counterfeits and don't seem too invested in fixing that. Your chances of a bad card are much, much lower somewhere like Best Buy.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i preordered one! thanks for your help with my questions

Nukelear v.2 posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/best-microsd-cards-for-steam-deck suggests that U3 vs U1 doesn't matter too much. I ended up with the Sandisk ultra largely because Amazon had it next day shipping.

article says they're just barely slower than the internal SSD. cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
:f5: as my deck is stuck in Netherlands for the last few days

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

Not a great idea to buy SD cards on Amazon, they have frequent issues with counterfeits and don't seem too invested in fixing that. Your chances of a bad card are much, much lower somewhere like Best Buy.

Anecdotally, I've bought from them over the years and never had one that reports the wrong size. I could believe I've had counterfeits on like brand or speed.

Takes hours to test a 1TB card though with h2testw.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I’ve always bought my SD cards from Amazon. I just don’t but then from third party sellers which most of these counterfeits are coming from. Not that I’m saying it doesn’t happen with Amazon proper, but if it did, they’d replace it easily.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Anecdotally, I've bought from them over the years and never had one that reports the wrong size. I could believe I've had counterfeits on like brand or speed.

I've heard more anecdotes about the latter than the former.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I’ve always bought my SD cards from Amazon. I just don’t but then from third party sellers which most of these counterfeits are coming from. Not that I’m saying it doesn’t happen with Amazon proper, but if it did, they’d replace it easily.

Amazon does inventory co-mingling which means they take incoming inventory from all vendors and mix them in a big bucket. After that the individual items aren't associated with either 1st or 3rd party sellers, they just pull one from that bucket when somebody makes a purchase. Obviously it's still possible to get authentic ones but buying 1st vs. 3rd party doesn't improve your chances at all.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Skrill.exe posted:

Amazon does inventory co-mingling which means they take incoming inventory from all vendors and mix them in a big bucket. After that the individual items aren't associated with either 1st or 3rd party sellers, they just pull one from that bucket when somebody makes a purchase. Obviously it's still possible to get authentic ones but buying 1st vs. 3rd party doesn't improve your chances at all.

Guess I’m just lucky.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Costco has a nice 400gb one for like 50 which I’ve been using for a few months now with no issues.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Costco has a nice 400gb one for like 50 which I’ve been using for a few months now with no issues.

Yeah that one is fine. Best Buy also has routine sales; I just picked up a 512gb Samsung card for $60 after accidentally scissoring my SanDisk in half when opening the case.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Mescal posted:

I've heard more anecdotes about the latter than the former.

We have a standing rule to not buy USB sticks and MicroSD cards from Amazon at work because enough were counterfeit.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't know if it was counterfeit but the last USB stick I bought from Amazon broke while I was trying to separate it from the plastic USB plug cover.

My MicroSD cards have all been good, surprisingly I've been having issues with an Anker SD card adapter, but a generic cheap plastic reader works fine. :shrug:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://www.pcgamer.com/emulating-3ds-games-with-a-steam-deck-proves-that-the-wii-u-was-right/ this is clever: using the deck and a tv to emulate wiiU games.

what info should i add to the OP for people who haven't followed the thread yet?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gettin my deck today

Veotax
May 16, 2006

3DS games actually, just WiiU styled by having the top screen on another monitor and the bottom screen on the Deck.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Veotax posted:

3DS games actually, just WiiU styled by having the top screen on another monitor and the bottom screen on the Deck.

Oh. the article linked within implies that the same for wiiu should be coming soon with the emulator releasing its source code, though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Marx Headroom posted:

Anecdotally I've bought a dozen or so higher-capacity SD cards from Amazon over the past five years or so and I've yet to encounter an "obvious" counterfeit.

Skrill.exe posted:

I've heard the opposite, which is that they co-mingle third-party inventory but not first-party. Who knows, maybe they didn't at one time and do now, or maybe it depends on the fulfillment facility.

As an alternative explanation: I typically buy the cards on Prime Day or when there's a lightning deal, and I assume that they sell enough on Prime Day that they're unloading palettes of these straight from SanDisk/Samsung and they're not really sitting in inventory long enough to get mixed in with counterfeits. Or maybe the counterfeitters are going after the "Extreme" models for which there's higher margins anyways. Who knows.

Either way, I don't really have a problem purchasing cards from Amazon. If I was burned their exchange process is pretty easy. I mean, if you can get a comparable deal at Best Buy/Micro Center/wherever that's great too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Each week is increasing in delivery than the last... We're up to January preorders now or so, so it might slow down once we hit march

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How is Doom Eternal on the deck? I imagine it runs well considering how much it's shoved to the top of the 'great on deck' page but it also seems like it's extremely hectic which seems like it would tax the deck a lot lot

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Anecdotally I've bought a dozen or so higher-capacity SD cards from Amazon over the past five years or so and I've yet to encounter an "obvious" counterfeit.

I've never received a counterfeit card from Amazon either but other people have, so be warned is all. Here's a reddit about spotting fake cards to assist with research.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

jokes posted:

How is Doom Eternal on the deck? I imagine it runs well considering how much it's shoved to the top of the 'great on deck' page but it also seems like it's extremely hectic which seems like it would tax the deck a lot lot

Pretty great. Vulkan continues to be a boon in performance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like the 60% off but I also have a pretty substantial backlog I'm working through. The eternal steam conundrum.....

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just got my email for a 512 after a December preorder.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Y'all need to get SyncThing setup - I love having my ROM game saves synced across my Server/Gaming PC/MiSTer/Laptop. I also setup a "Sync" folder that lets me easily move files from my Deck to my other devices.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SyncThing is great, I use it to sync up my Elden Ring Seamless Coop saves between my Deck and main rig.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

All of the far cry games are on sale so I bought them because i want to play them on the deck.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got my email for a pre order from last Thanksgiving so it sounds like they probably have them arriving in batches 10k or so. I'll be decking in a few days time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Just wanted to add regarding Deck storage. Playing games from a fast MicroSDXC card vs SSD there's no difference in load times for games. It's not a bottleneck for Deck and even in max detail current gen gaming it's the last thing you'd generally be worrying about.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Each week is increasing in delivery than the last... We're up to January preorders now or so, so it might slow down once we hit march

64gb in the US slowed way down. I think it was 5% or so today but they're up to right after the review embargo lifted so I imagine the will be more right around now. Still in Q3 for a June order which ain't bad.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Vic posted:

Just wanted to add regarding Deck storage. Playing games from a fast MicroSDXC card vs SSD there's no difference in load times for games. It's not a bottleneck for Deck and even in max detail current gen gaming it's the last thing you'd generally be worrying about.
Yeah I've been testing this, I haven't noticed a difference either. Im using a 256GB Samsung Pro UHS-I and I haven't had any issues.

Then again my biggest install has only been 3GB because most of my library is indie games, so I can't vouch for load times on AAA titles that take up like 100GB+

I want to check out all the emulation stuff eventually but I'm enjoying just going through my library and testing everything to see if it works. Had to do some configuration on a couple titles but so far it's been very nice

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really wish 2 TB MicroSD cards would finally come out - I don't know if I'm ready to open my Deck to add a bigger SSD. Yes, I'm one of those nutjobs who needs 100+ games and 500+ roms at my disposal.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

bucksmash posted:

Yeah I've been testing this, I haven't noticed a difference either. Im using a 256GB Samsung Pro UHS-I and I haven't had any issues.

Then again my biggest install has only been 3GB because most of my library is indie games, so I can't vouch for load times on AAA titles that take up like 100GB+

I want to check out all the emulation stuff eventually but I'm enjoying just going through my library and testing everything to see if it works. Had to do some configuration on a couple titles but so far it's been very nice

Big games aren't any different to indie games to load, they just have more (often redundant) art assests, uncompressed video and audio. Games load stuff you'll need into memory before they are displayed because it's easy to predict what data will be needed. And they don't need to write anything except for saving which is minimal amount of data.

You need that high storage read/write speed for large scale concurrent file manipulation - something games just don't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Exception to that is Minecraft IIRC, which saves very aggressively and synchronously?