Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

Your first bike is to teach you what your second bike should be, right?

Well, as much as I like the idea of going across the country and into the hinterlands and all that, my income and my available vacation time means I'm never going to be more than maybe 3 days from home. That won't change for years unless I have a serious career change and I'm too old to want to change careers (again).

So I think that whenever it's time to trade in my Roadster, it's going to be for a Bonneville. I keep debating between the T100 and the T120, but one of those.

I keep looking down when I'm out and expecting that to be what I'm riding, so that seems like a sign it's what I should be on.

Keeping in mind that I'm months or even a year out from paying things down enough for it to make sense, what am I not seeing? What am I going to be sad about on that bike? Lack of locking storage is the main thing I'm seeing (though it's easier on a Bonne than on a Roadster).

Maybe something like an NC750X or a V-Strom is in my future too, but the Bonne has been loving calling to me.
In your case your first bike is teaching you what your first bike should have been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Slavvy posted:

In your case your first bike is teaching you what your first bike should have been

this is a solid burn and I accept it

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Ways in which the Bonneville makes me sad:

-The FSM is a digital-only monthly subscription at $8.33/mo

-There's a maintenance reminder light that will prompt you every 1 year or 4k miles to bring your motorcycle to a Triumph dealership and spend ~$600 USD for an all-day service that probably includes mostly things you can do yourself (Oil change, coolant, brake fluid, fastener tightening, spark plug checks etc. ), plus hooking it up to an expensive proprietary machine that goes bing. The interval can be changed by the shop I believe.

-The chain is a pain in the rear end to clean & wax with the exhaust in the way.

-Do you hate cleaning rims? How about rims with spokes?

-Don't even get me started on the turn signal button.

-The wrong sorts of people will approach you to talk about your motorcycle.

-It's not what I'd call nimble in the twisties, which is OK by me at the moment

-Fake Carb Shame

Otherwise I have zero regrets on the T120, and there's nothing I've read or watched that would make me consider a T100 over the T120 once you're preparing to pay the Triumph fancy lad tax. I will say if I was riding the longer distances and twisties that I used to on the GS500, I'd be migrating toward trying something with a slightly more aggressive riding position with more nimble handling and hard side luggage, yeah FJR, I'm comin' for you when I'm 60.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Remy Marathe posted:

Yesterday in Portland on I-5 I got passed by some guy on a Thruxton, wearing a Bell Bullit, a Tweed jacket and jeans, a leather messenger bag, and some kind of sailing shoes.

It was perfect :allears:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What does Triumph do really well? Is it like Ducati but British?

I think i remember that the 1200RS has a suuuuuuper flat torque curve all the way to redline from some review I saw at some point.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

What does Triumph do really well?

Provide stable employment to drunks that couldn't make it at Crewe or Solihull and mechanics.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

Ways in which the Bonneville makes me sad:

-The FSM is a digital-only monthly subscription at $8.33/mo

-There's a maintenance reminder light that will prompt you every 1 year or 4k miles to bring your motorcycle to a Triumph dealership and spend ~$600 USD for an all-day service that probably includes mostly things you can do yourself (Oil change, coolant, brake fluid, fastener tightening, spark plug checks etc. ), plus hooking it up to an expensive proprietary machine that goes bing. The interval can be changed by the shop I believe.

-The chain is a pain in the rear end to clean & wax with the exhaust in the way.

-Do you hate cleaning rims? How about rims with spokes?

-Don't even get me started on the turn signal button.

-It's not what I'd call nimble in the twisties, which is OK by me at the moment

-Fake Carb Shame

Otherwise I have zero regrets on the T120, and there's nothing I've read or watched that would make me consider a T100 over the T120 once you're preparing to pay the Triumph fancy lad tax. I will say if I was riding the longer distances and twisties that I used to on the GS500, I'd be migrating toward trying something with a slightly more aggressive riding position with more nimble handling and hard side luggage, yeah FJR, I'm comin' for you when I'm 60.

1) I had to look up what FSM was, but lol come on, :filez:

2) use the Ducati method: ignore it (or if it's actually a bulb take the bulb out or put some tape over it).

3) ehhh, spray some lube on it, make a mess, so what.

4) see 3

5-7) sorry, can't help you with that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

What does Triumph do really well? Is it like Ducati but British?

I think i remember that the 1200RS has a suuuuuuper flat torque curve all the way to redline from some review I saw at some point.

They make phenomenal Just A Bikes that look acceptable without being super flashy.

They make a phenomenal 600SS/midsize sport that is always broken.

They make a great big naked and decent middleweight naked, both of which are fast enough but not actually fast, and always broken.

Can't think of much else they do well.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The Bonneville stock pipes are peerless for triggering dogs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

They make phenomenal Just A Bikes that look acceptable without being super flashy.

They make a phenomenal 600SS/midsize sport that is always broken.

They make a great big naked and decent middleweight naked, both of which are fast enough but not actually fast, and always broken.

Can't think of much else they do well.

Pretty branded leather jackets?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I ride a Harley and I don’t think it’s possible to be approached by worse people than I already am.

This is not a challenge to the universe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

I ride a Harley and I don’t think it’s possible to be approached by worse people than I already am.

This is not a challenge to the universe.

Depending on how you define worse, a cafe racered anything is a strong contender.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A triumph is not a cafe racer by default?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I thought it was bar end mirrors away from being a cafe racer.

(I do not want bar end mirrors)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

A triumph is not a cafe racer by default?

Idk man what does a d675 look like to you

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Idk man what does a d675 look like to you

I actually don't know what that is, do you have a link?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Nitrox posted:

I actually don't know what that is, do you have a link?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a dumb little thing but I liked when Polaris hadn't picked up the Indian branding yet because there were triumphs on one side of the Atlantic and victories on the other

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

A cafe racer for the people who only care about the race to the cafe.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I thought the point of a cafe racer is to modify a street bike to go faster, from Cafe to cafe or whatever. This is why the term belongs in time, when designated sport bikes did not exist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The point of a cafe racer is to impress your mates on Instagram

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i've been riding at least a little just about every day and i'm getting to the point where I'm a little sick of city riding. i'd like to take some trips farther afield. here in seattle that pretty much means going on I5 for a significant distance, and my darling little tu250x isn't quite up to the task. going south through seattle there are several spots where you need to merge or exit from the left side of the highway and it generally feels a little unsafe maxing out at ~75mph with a long runway and a tail wind. I want to go to portland or canada, both of which will take about 4 hours of highway riding.

the closest dealer to me is triumph. would it be really stupid to get a bonneville or a thruxton? i have also had my eye on the royal enfield 650s they sell.

also i really want this old bmw https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/751932659188195
it's so dreamy :ohdear:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you want to get out of the city and don't want to take the freeway (understandable), why not ferry over to the Olympic Peninsula and ride around there? You've only been riding for a few months IIRC. I wouldn't think about trading in for a bigger bike just yet. I have no opinion on those bikes otherwise, though.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
yeah i've been planning to do that, too. i have some reasons to go to portland, though, and i don't have access to a car.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I also can't stand long stretches of freeway, given the size of my current bike (MT03). Seconding hop on a ferry; it's how I start most of my best rides out of Seattle, with the bonus that you can show up any time and get right onto the next boat, no waiting in line. Heading East instead, some combination of the 169/18/202-3/2/9 and other smaller roads in between is fun too, again with little freeway necessary to get started. I usually go around the lake but you can add one of the floating bridges into the mix to adjust ride time as necessary.

The Amtrak is a nice way to get to Portland and back if being on a bike isn't a requirement. There's even a bar car!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The RE 650 would be an ideal step up, a Bonneville is probably a little too much. The bmw is very tidy very clean garbage, unless you already know what you're doing and specifically want that specific type of garbage.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

My first bike was a Yamaha TW200. I wanted to upgrade for similar reasons, and so my second bike was a Honda 599 with a small windscreen that I ended up putting a set of GIVI luggage on.

I didn't ride for several years, then bike 3 was a Husky 701 SM, and bike 4 is a 2013 F800GS.

I still have the last 3, but the 599 has been in storage for a few years and I'm on the fence about selling it, mostly for sentimental reasons.

Longer distance isn't just about a bigger motor, ergos are equally (if not more) important. I'm 6'1 250+lbs, and one of my riding buddies has told me I make the 701 look small (it isn't). I love the GS because it has nice highway power, good ergos, a cushy seat, a windscreen and luggage.

Sitting on bikes at a dealership for a few minutes won't give you a sense of what will start to ache on longer trips (I'm willing to bet lower back and wrists would be the first on something like a Thruxton, though).

Keep an eye out for demo days, because that's a great way to try out a manufacturer's lineup for short rides and they're usually a loop so you can try different bikes back to back.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

MSPain posted:

i've been riding at least a little just about every day and i'm getting to the point where I'm a little sick of city riding. i'd like to take some trips farther afield. here in seattle that pretty much means going on I5 for a significant distance, and my darling little tu250x isn't quite up to the task. going south through seattle there are several spots where you need to merge or exit from the left side of the highway and it generally feels a little unsafe maxing out at ~75mph with a long runway and a tail wind. I want to go to portland or canada, both of which will take about 4 hours of highway riding.

the closest dealer to me is triumph. would it be really stupid to get a bonneville or a thruxton? i have also had my eye on the royal enfield 650s they sell.

also i really want this old bmw https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/751932659188195
it's so dreamy :ohdear:
There’s a few side highways you can use up north to avoid 5 that your tu250x would be perfectly happy on.

https://www.motowhere.com/explore/route/Space-Needle-to-Stanwood--No-I5 This is similar to some rides I've been planning. 9 mirrors 5 all the way up to the border with Canada, but is a way nicer road to take, and you can cut across 5 at a whole bunch of places depending on how long you want to ride.

If you want an all day trip, take 9 up to 20 and then traverse Whidbey Island all the way down to the Clinton/Mukilteo ferry. https://www.motowhere.com/explore/route/Seattle-to-Whidbey-Island-Loop

Edit: If you need to go to Portland and want to make a trip of it, take the ferry over to Bremerton, then head southwest on 3 to Aberdeen, and south on 101 from there to Astoria, then cut across on 30 all the way to Portland. It's several hours slower but way more interesting.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 3, 2022

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Captain McAllister posted:

Sitting on bikes at a dealership for a few minutes won't give you a sense of what will start to ache on longer trips (I'm willing to bet lower back and wrists would be the first on something like a Thruxton, though).

One of the things that's surprised me is how much my legs, particularly my upper thighs, get sore over long distances. This has been true across multiple bikes. I definitely prefer narrower seats and on my next bike I will spring for more padding.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Anyone heard anything about NT1100 coming to the US?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

T Zero posted:

One of the things that's surprised me is how much my legs, particularly my upper thighs, get sore over long distances. This has been true across multiple bikes. I definitely prefer narrower seats and on my next bike I will spring for more padding.

This is an interesting link to enter your height etc. and see what bikes may 'feel' like. You could put yourself in on your TU and see what may be causing the upper thigh issue. I'm pretty sure you can use it to compare bikes side to side.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Captain McAllister posted:

This is an interesting link to enter your height etc. and see what bikes may 'feel' like. You could put yourself in on your TU and see what may be causing the upper thigh issue. I'm pretty sure you can use it to compare bikes side to side.

I've used this before and it's helpful. My problem is not so much the angle of my leg relative to the ground but the pressure points on my legs from the seat.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MSPain posted:

yeah i've been planning to do that, too. i have some reasons to go to portland, though, and i don't have access to a car.

Seconding take the ferry and go ride, but also, the train to Portland is quite nice.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m keeping an eye on dual sports that come up for sale. What’s the word on the XR650L?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the R is cooler

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

the R is cooler

Lol if this is a pun it's a good one

They are good and you should get one.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

In the US, the L is a detuned, stree-legal version of the R, and still on sale! You can get plated Rs though.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

builds character posted:

Seconding take the ferry and go ride, but also, the train to Portland is quite nice.

I regularly hop over to Vashon on the ferry. If you’re near West Seattle it’s good for a quick chill cruise with minimal traffic. Don’t even need to head over to the peninsula if you don’t want to.

Also all the locals heading back on their bikes absolutely haul rear end up the hill into town, it’s fun.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My wife! is trying to convince me to get a bigger bike*.

My use case is basically commuting, and rides < 2hrs locally. I want to spend less than 8k. The dealerships that have any stock are upcharging eye-watering amounts.
I would like to take a closer look at the Rebel 500. Nobody has any new ones in stock. Dealers are trying to charge $7k for 2017 and 2018 models though, 3000-5000 miles. I know that Covid has done a number, but I don't think I'm comfortable with paying new MSRP money on 5 year old bikes.

Private sales look better, but I'd prefer not to fork over the entire purchase amount at once.

The NC750 of all years looks like it might work, but these are even harder to find.

Any opinion on the CTX 700?

What else should I consider? I've looked at older Rebels and Shadows. The Vstrom 650 might work. Found a 2011 at a dealer for $5.6k lol.

*I'm afraid she thinks I'm going to trade in/sell the Monkey. I don't want to get rid of this bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Scrambler 800