Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

winegums posted:

Hard not to feel utterly despondent at everything that's going on.

Energy companies just hiking prices with no end in sight.
Inflation careening through the roof.
Government refusing to do anything
Opposition parties also refusing to do anything.
Everyone is striking everywhere (which is fine, but the causes of strikes are very bad).

Feels like electoral politics has utterly failed to deal with any of the issues facing us. Everything Corbyn tried to put in policies against has come together in an awful shitshow. And nobody wants to learn these lessons, if anything they're memory-holing everything he did and everything they did to discredit him.

I don't know what's worse, the anticipated misery of this winter, or the inevitable indifference of everyone important.

Even my centrist boss "why can't we all just get along" anti-Corbyn ("everything I read about him made me hate him" - she reads the Graun) has just come back from a holiday in France (where her family have a house so not in a hotel) and has really noticed the difference in how France is dealing with things and here.

Page snipe:

346 In the Roman Empire, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Constantius and Claudius

Macedonius I, Patriarch of Constantinople, is deposed again by Paul I. Julius Firmicus Maternus writes De erroribus profanarum religionum. The Visigoths are converted to Arianism by Wulfila.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you're wondering about keeping the heating off this winter and concerned about mould, here's a couple of charts for you:

A. Relative Humidity v Temp (sadly in F)

To convert F to C use the formula C= (5/9)*(F-32)

To nearest .5C:

60F = 15.5C, 65F = 18.5C, 70F = 21C, 75F = 24C, 80F = 26.5C, 85F = 29.5C

Example: your indoor temp is 15.5C, it's raining so relative humidity 90% = 3 or 4 days to mould on wood in a crawl space. The PI is paper preservation and I'm not sure how to interpret that other than lower numbers are worse and your papers will probably get mouldy too. (NB - I stand to be corrected on this if someone has knowledge of this area!)

For the above chart:

B. Relative Humidity v Temp (C)

I know some of you have got dehumidifiers, but I just read that they start to become less efficient under 18C and don't function below 10C.

I have lived in a flat where the indoors in unheated areas was 9C in winter (in Cairo as it happens) and that is very bloody cold and Brits saying 'oh but it's 2C here - not in your bloody home it isn't).

I might be misunderstanding the charts here, but wouldn't that mean that every time it rained for 3 days straight we'd all have mould problems? That doesn't seem quite right to me, from what I understand in a place like Glasgow the average humidity in winter is going to be like 90% and most people would be keeping their indoor areas around 20-22C, so you'd expect practically every house without a dehumidifier (which is going to be the vast majority) to have a mould problem within a few weeks, which doesn't sound right to me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Reveilled posted:

I might be misunderstanding the charts here, but wouldn't that mean that every time it rained for 3 days straight we'd all have mould problems? That doesn't seem quite right to me, from what I understand in a place like Glasgow the average humidity in winter is going to be like 90% and most people would be keeping their indoor areas around 20-22C, so you'd expect practically every house without a dehumidifier (which is going to be the vast majority) to have a mould problem within a few weeks, which doesn't sound right to me.

I expect that depends on ventilation. They talk about crawlspace in the first diagram so that suggests not much ventilation.
I guess if you never open the windows or have no extractor fans in say kitchen and bathroom (I don't have windows in mine so I have extractor fan in both) then you might get mould quite quickly.
Actually my bathroom if I don't put the extractor fan on (it's inextricably connected with the bathroom light so that means I'm using the bathroom with the ambient light) starts showing black mould round the bath edges within a few days and my flat is generally around 18C in the winter and 23C at the moment. (I use black mould spray every week to keep it away - probably no good for my lungs or the environment). I rarely see the mould in the kitchen because it's quite well ventilated as there's no door between it and the rest of the flat.

Some people will be blocking up their windows for the winter so they could see mould growth.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 30, 2022

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Ouroboros posted:

Anyone got a simple rundown of all jk Rowlings insanity in one place? I saw one a while back but I can’t find it now

This is a good video essay on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaJWSwUZs

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

winegums posted:

Feels like electoral politics has utterly failed to deal with any of the issues facing us. Everything Corbyn tried to put in policies against has come together in an awful shitshow. And nobody wants to learn these lessons, if anything they're memory-holing everything he did and everything they did to discredit him.

I don't know what's worse, the anticipated misery of this winter, or the inevitable indifference of everyone important.

One way or another, this is going to get sorted. If electoral politics can't or won't tackle it, then it will be dealt with by non-electoral politics, which is likely to be a messy business.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know some of you have got dehumidifiers, but I just read that they start to become less efficient under 18C and don't function below 10C.

Depends on the dehumidifier, so here's your dehumidifier rundown

-dessicant traps-

Absorbent rocks in the upper, they soak water up and turn to a briney mess that drips down into a lower tray. Good for small areas you can't get power to if you can remember to swap them out, like drawers/cupboards/fridges but compared with powered units over time they aren't cost effective at all

-peltier units-

If it's electrical and under about sixty quid it's one of these, a peltier is a plate that gets hot on one side and cold on the other due to physics, the cold side collects condensate much like a cold drinks can does. If it gets too cold in the room, the cold side will develop a big ol' block of ice and stop working as well. Individual units don't draw much power but comparing litres recovered per watts spent, they aren't nearly as efficient as the two other electric sorts

-compressor units-

These are the traditional electrical units and they run pretty much parts of an aircon system to extract the water- they are a little noisy but they collect loads and loads- as mentioned before the collection amount drops off rapidly under 18-19C though

-dessicant drum-

it's got a big porous rock in it, and it blasts wet air into the rock and then turns around so it can heat the poo poo out of that bit of rock to get the water out while dumping more water into a fresh bit- they don't pull quite as much water as compressor units at best but will keep working happily right down to freezing point. Drawbacks are cost and energy use- especially on high- but a lot of that energy is going into heat so that might work for you.

I tried a lot of the first two types before going for the drum type and I wish I had just stumped up the cash before- at first on max settings it pulled the advertised 8 litres per day (best peltier I had might manage 500ml a day) for over a week before slowing, now it just maintains a comfortable 55-60% on automatic/economy and only turns on a few times a day and the air quality is so much nicer

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Very strange stuff.
We're on strike at the moment at my uni, last year the police drove past looking straight ahead as usual. Yesterday at this new round of industrial action, two vans with four different sets of coppers beeped their horns and cheered for us as they passed our picket, TWICE.

I get when it comes to it if they're called in to move us they'll fall in line but poo poo must be getting bad if the police are showing more than just ambivalence to a picket.

Never seen anything like that before.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

thrashingteeth posted:

Very strange stuff.
We're on strike at the moment at my uni, last year the police drove past looking straight ahead as usual. Yesterday at this new round of industrial action, two vans with four different sets of coppers beeped their horns and cheered for us as they passed our picket, TWICE.

I get when it comes to it if they're called in to move us they'll fall in line but poo poo must be getting bad if the police are showing more than just ambivalence to a picket.

Never seen anything like that before.

There are always good people trapped in bad institutions. Hard to quantify what that means for England in the event of complete societal unrest though

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

winegums posted:

Hard not to feel utterly despondent at everything that's going on.

Energy companies just hiking prices with no end in sight.
Inflation careening through the roof.
Government refusing to do anything
Opposition parties also refusing to do anything.
Everyone is striking everywhere (which is fine, but the causes of strikes are very bad).

I have been feeling sad and doom-laden for the last two days and having trouble sleeping due to anxiety. This literally never happens to me so I can't imagine how anyone with less than robust mental health is coping

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A similar sort of thing happened in Egypt during the 2011 revolution: a lot of the domestic 'help' fled back to their villages and within a couple of weeks the middle/upper class neighbourhoods were in a right smelly state.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Maugrim posted:

I have been feeling sad and doom-laden for the last two days and having trouble sleeping due to anxiety. This literally never happens to me so I can't imagine how anyone with less than robust mental health is coping

Emigrating worked wonders for me.

Not even remotely joking. Cost every penny I had and involved me taking every job under the sun to pay the rent but I would never change it even for a moment.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maugrim posted:

Honestly the answer is medication. I'm sure that if I wasn't on SSRIs I'd be much worse off but as it is? Totally fine.

Things are bad but thus far I am still able to just get on without panicking over something I can't control.

Now, come back to me in 3 months when I can't afford to turn my PC for more than half an hour ago day and we'll talk again...

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

BastardySkull posted:

Do you also think Tories are actual aliens that don't drink water?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Pictured: a tory dispensing excess water into a receptacle following an unhealthy buildup of the toxic substance.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1564310909539033088

Voiceover version in the comments is :discourse: too but more nsfw

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Emigrating worked wonders for me.

Not even remotely joking. Cost every penny I had and involved me taking every job under the sun to pay the rent but I would never change it even for a moment.

Yeah I've picked a hell of a time to come back to the UK for a reasonable chunk of time (6 months) after 12 years in Australia. Leaving in 2 weeks. Will be an interesting winter.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/Vince_Evans1/status/1564187160739209216

keithers...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You came here to get scorched and then leave terf island for wildfire island.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the guy who works for Mr Burms

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Keither Sutherland

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Reveilled posted:

Unsurprisingly, Glasgow absolutely does have major issues with mould in the private rental sector. I've been in some really loving grim flats in the city. Whether it's worse than an equivalent city because of the climate I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Excellent Keithers

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCLauraKT/status/1564279365172699136

BRB, just stitching some kittens inside my jumper.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCLauraKT/status/1564279365172699136

BRB, just stitching some kittens inside my jumper.

Pretty sure that's parody.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

Pretty sure that's parody.

The account that shared the image is parody, but it does appear they shared a shoop. That same probably fake Nadine tweet image is being heavily shared in my circles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not dorries because it's far too coherent.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Wear their fur this winter, eat em in summer. Won't need em next winter anyways

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Been enjoying the Johnson-meeting-Zelenskiy memes

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/StopTweetingMia/status/1564289425344933889

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My plan is to find a fat bloke and climb inside like Han and Luke did to the Tauntaun in Empire Strikes Back.
Then move onto the next fat bloke when it gets cold.

(is actually fat bloke)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's always a fatter bloke.

(unless you're that giant tory guy, then possibly not)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you know any HMO landlords struggling in these difficult times, remember to reach out and check they're okay

https://twitter.com/sarahoconnor_/status/1564536395515011072?s=20&t=WQqoz5xqRPz1T073NeCE9g

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1564523324490649600?s=20&t=BfYK6QkroHQYPzq8hLr2uQ

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm the 49% of cretins who still have any loving faith in any of our political parties.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Brb, registering my new parliamentary party called None Of These Cunts

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/curtisstigers/status/1564514144199610368

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol that's a name I haven't heard in a while

I wonder why we have to break down,/ to make things all shite

:sax:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just been in BC, Canada, where food is still 1.3x more expensive generally than the UK, housing is about 2-3x the price of pretty much anywhere outside of the heart of London, and there's now a campaign to actively bring in more doctors because people literally can't get a GP. And this is after years of a national centrist party and left-wing provincial party being in power that have ostensibly been helping to improve these issues.

The grass is always greener! Focus on what you can do in the UK rather than emigrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Don't know about you but my grass died of thirst a few weeks back