Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trick about buying anything on amazon is having a Whole Foods nearby since they handle returns now and you get refunded immediately. No need to ship poo poo back.

So that’s how they figured out returns. Pretty smart actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

got a couple vampire survivors unlocks and got ff14 up and running last night

can anyone clarify exactly what bios pack is needed and where it should go for emudeck because the guides are like 'it should be easy to find an archive with google' and then because google sucks rear end and the internet is dead you just get 15 reddit results looking for the same thing and some people find a couple zips but all have conflicting information on whether subfolders are an issue and etc

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
anyone playing soul hackers 2 on the deck? i just bought both and I'm hoping they play well together.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the included 45w charger good enough to charge while playing? If not, what’s the recommended charger?

didn't see if this was answered correctly but no, it'll drain while playing even with the included charger. I recommend getting a 60w charger

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I was in the Oct-Dec order queue, now I'm in July-Sept order queue! Very excited to get my hands on it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yo thanks for this. The link for the rom did not work for me as that download's sha1 did not match what the SOH was looking for. googling the sha1 they want got me a working link. Got it running, grabbed the community control layout and hell yeah this owns.

Thanks for trying it. I've replaced the archive.org link in my post with the correct one.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

so it has one usb-c port and one usb-a port?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

v1ld posted:

Really wish Valve would add a medium setting between "get every shader cache update for every game you have installed" and "turn of shader caching entirely and enjoy stutter". A perfect medium for me would be "update shader caches only on game launch" + a "update all shader caches now" button somewhere.

What's annoying is that I like having multiple games installed but won't most of them all the time. So one large shader cache update when I do launch a game after a month is preferable to 20 updates for it over the month I didn't play it.

i don't understand. why would a game update its shaders while you're not playing it?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I was in the Oct-Dec order queue, now I'm in July-Sept order queue! Very excited to get my hands on it.

when'd you order?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

so it has one usb-c port and one usb-a port?

The deck has one usb c port.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So speaking of Amazon returns this happens every so often and I have no idea why.

Normally a UPS drop off is free but once in a while it wants to charge for it.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

didn't see if this was answered correctly but no, it'll drain while playing even with the included charger. I recommend getting a 60w charger

Deck charges just fine with the included charger while playing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mescal posted:

i don't understand. why would a game update its shaders while you're not playing it?
Whenever you turn the Steam Deck on, it downloads all the shaders that have been updated for all of your games. From my limited knowledge about it, I'm guessing these are generated over time as people further play through the games in question (and possibly due to the latest Proton updates). I've found it happens less often if you only use sleep mode, but when you do a full reboot it goes through all of your installed games.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Natsuumi posted:

in my experience, the power draw can be more than the charger is giving, so I bought a 60 or 65w charger off Amazon

I don't think I was playing very intensive games, either. glad it appears to work for you though

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Normally a UPS drop off is free but once in a while it wants to charge for it.

Yeah, weird. Never seen that. The no-label, instant-refund drop offs are really nice.

Others are starting to make it this easy; I did the ridiculous pre-order trade-in that Samsung is offering on their new gear - $900 trade-in value for a phone I paid ~$200 for last year after deals - and they had a similar shipping experience. Down to being able to re-use the box the new phone came in for shipping back.

Natsuumi posted:

I've read that the Deck rarely uses over 30W total while playing, so 45W is ample to play and charge at the same time.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Super No Vacancy posted:

got a couple vampire survivors unlocks and got ff14 up and running last night

can anyone clarify exactly what bios pack is needed and where it should go for emudeck because the guides are like 'it should be easy to find an archive with google' and then because google sucks rear end and the internet is dead you just get 15 reddit results looking for the same thing and some people find a couple zips but all have conflicting information on whether subfolders are an issue and etc

The problem is that it's not exactly legal to download a BIOS. Not 100% sure it's illegal either, just a real gray area. What BIOS do you need?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i added a little info to the op--please help me continue to improve it!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What is the deal with Docks?

Im trying to get things all figured out; At home I have a Dell WP15 for my work Dell setup. Then I have a Microsoft Surface Dock 2. Lastly, I have a Startech TB3DK2DPPD floating around. Oh and a Nintendo Switch dock for my TV, but I don't think that works because NINTENDO.

Will I still need a dock for the SteamDeck? It seems that none of these are HDMI over USB-c; that's all that will work in SteamOS right?

It'd be nice to have ONE DOCK TO RULE THEM ALL for my work/desk setup. Is the JSAUX the dock that can do it all?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^^ A USB-C dock from like Dell or HP should Just Work. Not 1st party Nintendo. Can't comment on power delivery.

Mescal posted:

i added a little info to the op--please help me continue to improve it!

Check Cowman and my post history ITT. I've linked a bunch of stuff but it's your call what's OP-worthy.

Maybe some info on chargers, SD cards, docks, and options for transferring files. These topics come up often.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 30, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

deong posted:

Im trying to get things all figured out; At home I have a Dell WP15 for my work Dell setup. Then I have a Microsoft Surface Dock 2. Lastly, I have a Startech TB3DK2DPPD floating around. Oh and a Nintendo Switch dock for my TV, but I don't think that works because NINTENDO.

Will I still need a dock for the SteamDeck? It seems that none of these are HDMI over USB-c; that's all that will work in SteamOS right?

It'd be nice to have ONE DOCK TO RULE THEM ALL for my work/desk setup. Is the JSAUX the dock that can do it all?

Theoretically the first three should work fine if there is displayport, albeit you'll probably need to finagle under the hood a bit like I mentioned earlier. And yes, Nintendo is proprietary.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

deong posted:

Any USB C hub that has: a USB C PD port for power in, HDMI out and a bunch of USB ports will do the job for you. There's nothing special about the Deck's USB C out - which is its strongest point.

If you meant the Dell WD15 - I can't find a WP15 - it seems to have HDMI out. It doesn't need USB PD input power since it seems to come with a 180W(!!) power brick.

It'll also do DisplayPort over USB C which is nice if you have a monitor that has that input - it's not very common though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

deong posted:

From my experience so far, I think the JSAUX dock (the most recent one, the HB0603) works very well for my purposes. This one here:
https://www.jsaux.com/products/upgraded-docking-station-for-steam-deck

I got it for 15% off a few weeks ago using the coupon JSAUX15, not sure if that still works. It did take a few weeks to get to me, so be aware of slow shipping from China. I think they sell them on Amazon now, but I'm not sure if it ships faster or if it's sold by the actual company.

I will say, I had a brief bit of troubleshooting with my TV, as it was only displaying it in 4k30hz even though I bought new HDMI cables specifically to support 60hz. After swapping cables around (using my PS5's cable on the Dock as a test which worked fine), I was able to go into my TV's settings and change the HDMI 2.0 mode to "Enhanced" instead of "Standard." After that, it worked at 4k60hz. It was more of a "my tv" problem, not the dock's problem.
The latest XBox Series X/S controllers connect without adapters to the Steam Deck, so I use one of them and it's pretty smooth sailing although some games have minor issues here or there. Emudeck works very well, too, so it's cool being able to have all my emulators portable and on the TV. I do miss having the customizable back buttons of the Deck, though. I had them set up for hotkeys for the standalone emulators.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 30, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
For reference the wd18 is what I was talking about earlier being difficult on a different arch distro.

Actually reading up on it more, it might've had more to do with the switchable graphics in my laptop and the fact that I explicitly shut off the dgpu...

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 30, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The JSAUX does look very nice as USB C hubs go. The HDMI 2.0 support in particular is great to see, my older hub doesn't have that and I'm limited to 50Hz at 1440p UW and 4k30.

Do y'all still use wired ethernet for much? Wifi6 is good enough that I don't run cables even to my fixed desktop - it gets 800+ Mbps in real use over wifi, though Steam game downloads are the only thing that get that high usually.

I'm not against wired, I ran cat 6 a decade ago to tie the front of the house to the back at good speeds. Just wondering if folks still use it much with all the improvements to wifi tech.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

For reference the wd18 is what I was talking about earlier being difficult on a different arch distro.

Actually reading up on it more, it might've had more to do with the switchable graphics in my laptop and the fact that I explicitly shut off the dgpu...

These WD docks look like absolute beasts. Just how much power do those laptops need?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

F.D. Signifier posted:

Yeah if you install a lot of games or big budget games that use a lot of shaders it will get pretty iffy. I was installing every small game and demo I could onto my 256gb card and it was still filling up pretty quick, for some reason even low budget 2D pixel art metroidvanias that take up 200mb will download a couple megabytes of shader cache. And then keep downloading them. With 150+ games installed the shader cache updates are more frequent and annoying than game updates. In anticipation of getting a 512gb card I just turned the feature off altogether.

I don't know why it can't just download them to the SD card where the games are instead.

I watched something where they attempted this by using symlinks to move the shader cache to the SD card. For God of War it causes a lot of stutter because getting the shaders from the faster storage is very preferable. For smaller indy games its probably less of an issue.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
For me wifi is only an issue when it comes to streaming games from my PS4 or desktop, though one sided Ethernet is sufficient for that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

v1ld posted:

These WD docks look like absolute beasts. Just how much power do those laptops need?

the new MacBookpros need like 180w lol

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

v1ld posted:

Do y'all still use wired ethernet for much? Wifi6 is good enough that I don't run cables even to my fixed desktop - it gets 800+ Mbps in real use over wifi, though Steam game downloads are the only thing that get that high usually.

I'm not against wired, I ran cat 6 a decade ago to tie the front of the house to the back at good speeds. Just wondering if folks still use it much with all the improvements to wifi tech.

Just FYI the Steam Deck doesn't support wifi 6. Wifi 5 (or 802.11ac or whatever) is probably still faster than most people can download games at anyway. Ethernet would still best for game streaming I believe.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

v1ld posted:

The JSAUX does look very nice as USB C hubs go. The HDMI 2.0 support in particular is great to see, my older hub doesn't have that and I'm limited to 50Hz at 1440p UW and 4k30.

It seems to have the full 100w for the main connection, a usbc port that seems to have 20-25w on its own plus the support circuitry. There are actually specialty docks that use two 100w usbc plugs side by side for workstation laptops lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Deck tops out at 45W (15V). Barring some proprietary weirdness, chargers will also top out at 45W (15V). Those 60W+ modes are 20V only which the Deck doesn't support, but a USB-PD 2.0-compliant 60W+ charger will work fine since they'll support the 45W mode.

Mescal posted:

Games will compile shaders either on-demand, which causes stutter if not hidden effectively, or during load which makes load times longer. Valve does a trick here though whereby they crowdsource shaders across all Deck units and push them out as updates, so that when you go to play a game the shaders are already compiled and right there. Should any still compile while you're playing, the Steam checks for any new shaders after the game exits and uploads them.

This is why Elden Ring actually played better on the Deck when it first launched than it did on many PCs.

Cowman posted:

The problem is that it's not exactly legal to download a BIOS. Not 100% sure it's illegal either, just a real gray area. What BIOS do you need?
Sites that host BIOS files are liable for infringement should they receive a (DMCA) notice and refuse to remove the infringing material. Merely downloading stuff isn't unlawful. You may incidentally be infringing by making local copies of works without license but we're pretty firmly in "who cares" territory at that point.

deong posted:

The two main requirements are that the dock supports DP Alt Mode (most hubs that do video should, Nintendo withstanding), and 15V USB-PD pass-through. If you have a 4K monitor you also want to make sure the Dock can handle 4K @ 60 Hz, as many cheaper ones only do 4K @ 30 Hz.

Beyond that if you have a dock that only does DisplayPort, and you have a DisplayPort monitor, that's fine. Any dock is going to use the DisplayPort protocol to communicate with the Deck, the HDMI ones just have a DP->HDMI transcoder chip on board.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

For me wifi is only an issue when it comes to streaming games from my PS4 or desktop, though one sided Ethernet is sufficient for that

That would be the one situation where the guaranteed constant low latency of switched ethernet is a big deal, makes sense. Interactive streaming where input and output are dependent on each other. Just about everything else can buffer enough to hide momentary latency spikes.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the new MacBookpros need like 180w lol

Whew.

Baxate posted:

Just FYI the Steam Deck doesn't support wifi 6. Wifi 5 (or 802.11ac or whatever) is probably still faster than most people can download games at anyway. Ethernet would still best for game streaming I believe.

Yeah, I had to create a separate 11ac network for the Deck to sit in, having made the main one wifi6 only.

I believe, but am not certain, that 6 will be significantly better than 11ac in crowded environments where there are lots of other wifi routers present since 6 has DFS as part of the base standard - though that last is the bit I'm not certain off. I don't see how it cannot have DFS built in given that it has channels that are so wide they're almost guaranteed to overlap with some radar channels.

11ac by itself doesn't and if you didn't get a router with DFS support you could have some really bad bandwidth issues - and there was just one consumer router with it back when I needed one in a very crowded city (Portal Networks, got bought by Razor and is now the Sila).

Basically, of the 6 wide channels available with 11ac 4(!!) are unavailable unless your router supports DFS. So all of the 11ac units in your neighborhood are crowded into the 2 channels that don't have weather radar clashes. These 2 happen to be the lowest frequency (good range) and highest frequency (not as good range), so everyone's bandwidth goes to poo poo as you clash. Meanwhile the DFS router using folks get 4 empty channels to choose from.

Which is partly why it's disappointing the Deck didn't ship with Wifi6.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 30, 2022

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

v1ld posted:

If you meant the Dell WD15 - I can't find a WP15 - it seems to have HDMI out. It doesn't need USB PD input power since it seems to come with a 180W(!!) power brick.

poo poo, you're correct.
For some reason, the WD15 doesn't charge the Surface laptop via usb c; and the second monitor (hdmi) is flakey. I seem to have picked up somewhere (prob reddit, hence asking here) that the WD15 can only do display port video out from the device even tho it can send out on HDMI. Something about the WD15 having a graphics card. Again, all this could be very wrong. I have not gotten my shipping notice yet, so I'm unable to test. I'm just looking to simplify my desk setup mostly. I have an older monitor, it can do 2k. So I'm not too futzzed about the 4k@60hz but if I have to buy a dock I'd like it to be future proofed etc.

Thanks yall. Once I have the Deck in hand I can see what will work.

Lastly, does the gyro/touch pad/haptics on the PS4 dualshock work? Is there a best steam control?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

deong posted:

Lastly, does the gyro/touch pad/haptics on the PS4 dualshock work? Is there a best steam control?

The Steam Controller software enables all the features on the DS4 controller simultaneously: gyro/touch pad/rumble. It and the DS5 are my favorites for PC gaming because of that.

No other controller I know of has the complete feature set. The 8Bitdo controller can do Gyro in Switch mode but then switches the triggers to digital off/on mode. Or it can do analog triggers in non-switch mode but then you lose the gyro. Meanwhile the DS4/5 have all of that working at the same time.

Rumble works on the DS4 if that's what you mean by haptics. Dunno about the more advanced haptics on the DS5 since I don't know of any PC games that use it.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Cloks posted:

anyone playing soul hackers 2 on the deck? i just bought both and I'm hoping they play well together.

It needs a patch. Basically it has a high chance of somehow messing itself up on start, either freezing entirely or just failing to play music and in either case needs a reboot. Once you’re in, though, it’s fine. Running pretty much max detail with a 50fps limit as it couldn’t quite manage 60. Don’t fiddle with the resolution settings as it’ll crash.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

v1ld posted:

The Steam Controller software enables all the features on the DS4 controller simultaneously: gyro/touch pad/rumble. It and the DS5 are my favorites for PC gaming because of that.

No other controller I know of has the complete feature set. The 8Bitdo controller can do Gyro in Switch mode but then switches the triggers to digital off/on mode. Or it can do analog triggers in non-switch mode but then you lose the gyro. Meanwhile the DS4/5 have all of that working at the same time.

Rumble works on the DS4 if that's what you mean by haptics. Dunno about the more advanced haptics on the DS5 since I don't know of any PC games that use it.

I believe the developers of Stray were talking about patching in the advanced haptics and adaptive triggers into the PC version so it should be possible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. Well, I got at most a month to get one.

As for Amazon Return chat - Kohls takes Amazon returns too. I recommend dropping off there if you can. They always hand you a free $5 Kohls Cash coupon too.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My place is wired up for Ethernet in every room which allows me to do game streaming from my PC and PS5 to my TV and laptop where both ends are wired. Wifi 6 performs noticeably worse even if the PC/PS5 are wired up.

It’s a nice one off investment.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Dock talk:

What are you guys using for a controller and do you have to do a lot of finagling to switch between docked and undock controller mode? I feel like going to use the control map to reconfigure between my dualshock and the deck's control everytime I dock/undock would get old. I think this would be the steam controller's time to shine if it could support similar maps while docked without having to change any settings.

I haven't bothered to buy a dock yet because I feel there are going to be controller shenanigans, even though dock mode was what sold me on buying the deck.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 30, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Deck is basically a Linux PC that can run Steam and all of its controller code so there are no limitations there in terms of choice.

The DS4/5 are the most fully featured controllers out there with gyro/touchpad/haptics and the kitchen sink, but that's all meaningless if you don't like the ergonomics of the controller.

If you like tweaking controller settings to, say, enable gyro aiming on trigger press in a PC game that doesn't even know about gyros I'd say the DS4 or 5 are your best bets by a long shot. If you don't care about gyro, just go with whatever feels best in hand to you and is reasonably priced I'd say.

The DS4 and 5 have another feature that doesn't work on for example the Microsoft Elite 2. The Steam Controller code has a binding that lets you turn off the controller remotely. This works with the DS4/5 on Windows but not in Arch Linux even though I can do it from the cli bluetoothctl command. So it probably won't work on the Deck too - in other words, probably not a differentiator but it would be very nice to have if Valve fixed this.

The Steam Controller code lets you turn off the DS4/5's led by the way - this has a significant effect on battery life. Just turn brightness to 0 in the controller options.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Are you actually running anything at 4k60 or was it more to see if it could?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

v1ld posted:

The Steam Controller code lets you turn off the DS4/5's led by the way - this has a significant effect on battery life. Just turn brightness to 0 in the controller options.

What is a “Steam Controller code”?

Unrelated: I bought a bigger SD card for my Deck (from Amazon!!!), but I’ve installed some stuff on there already. Will this plan work, space permitting?

1. Copy everything from /mnt/primary or whatever it is into a folder on the hard drive, using sudo rsync to preserve symlinks and extended attributes and whatever else

2. Swap SD cards

3. Have Deck format the new card through the settings menu

4. sudo rsync everything back into the same directory it came from

Is this going to break on some check of the file system’s UUID or deep ext4 magic?

Also: can I just swap SD cards freely to change what games are installed? That would be great.