Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Zikan posted:

can't wait for goons to try to implment full communism as early as possible and the ensuing counter revolutions because they did with 2% support

Historically accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ilitarist posted:

There's a historical immersion in that but it will also mean that you will have no end-game threats unless the system is rigged to affect player more.

AI countries are never end game threats in Paradox games, just annoyances

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lmao the stream is coming to an end so they joke declare on Belgium.

Who then perform a naval invasion in Russia.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

first paradox game in a long time i'm not preordering

cause it's on gamepass day 1 :twisted:

Apparently not? At least on release.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Thanks for the stream guys! Even with the #hotcode and sillyness I so god drat hyped for this game.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anno posted:

Apparently not? At least on release.

oh wtf. when did they decide this. goddammit

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Game looks amazing, definitely going to preorder this soon. October seems like it's both too far away and unbelievably close.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh wtf. when did they decide this. goddammit

At least you’ll have steam workshop on day 1 for the anime portraits mods :anime:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ilitarist posted:

There's a historical immersion in that but it will also mean that you will have no end-game threats unless the system is rigged to affect player more.

You keep saying stuff like this. It's not a narratively structured game ili, it's a sandbox. There shouldn't be any balance here. The game is the experience of building sandcastles in the sandbox and experiencing the ants move

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean war doesn’t seem terribly interesting in this game so I don’t know what an end game boss would even be.

Internal politics is the bread and butter here

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol, top results for "victoria 3 game pass" on google still all report it's a day 1 game pass release. very cool

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can't believe I'll be playing Victoria 3 in less than two months.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean war doesn’t seem terribly interesting in this game so I don’t know what an end game boss would even be.

The end game boss is an enemy economy strangling your innocent capitalists.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you don't actually enjoy the late game world wars, then the end game boss is picking up the pieces for your nation after said world wars. War is incredibly costly and it'll have huge effects on your economy and nation late game and there'll be a lot to do after them. It's nice to have a war system that's just an extension of the political/economics systems than having it be an entirely separate game system stapled onto an already incredibly busy game

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Still not really sold on how they're simming warfare, although it's definitely nice that it"s well hooked into econ

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'd be interested in a more war focused stream where they show it off more. It was really hard to follow what was going on and they were emphasizing that the game isn't about war so they didn't concentrate on it much. Which is fair for an introduction stream, and honestly warfare is far from the most interesting part of this game, but currently it's the part I understand least!

Edit:

Fuligin posted:

Still not really sold on how they're simming warfare, although it's definitely nice that it"s well hooked into econ
Yeah, the bit I do get is how all your military affairs are set up through the building interface that let you deal with it economically the same way you would anything else you're managing. That's cool and good and I get it.

I guess I want to see actual warfare in practice more just to see how it goes.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 30, 2022

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The game's economy focus over war is such a boon for me. I'm playing an eu4 campaign for the first time in about nine months and right now and my wars against the Ottomans are just ... awful, really awful. I don't want to have to deal with this and would rather just tend my gardens in Paris.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm extremely excited to not have to order individual regiments around in a game that is primarily about economics.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm extremely excited to not have to order individual regiments around in a game that is primarily about economics.

i think there is a happy median between this and the model as last talked about, but time will tell!

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Fister Roboto posted:

This is by far the best part of Vic3, I have zero interest in ever moving a regiment in a grand strategy game again.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I do wish they had better looking animations than the two bunkers shooting at each other across the front though. Little army dudes and horsies and cannons. Hopefully they add that in some future patch

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I personally think there is some hypothetical middle ground because individual regiment moving and two button warfare but eh, hopefully it is good in context.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Hellioning posted:

two button warfare

Thank you, I’m now imagining Vicky 3’s warfare systems taking cues from One Finger Death Punch.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tomn posted:

Thank you, I’m now imagining Vicky 3’s warfare systems taking cues from One Finger Death Punch.

God I wish.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Fuligin posted:

i think there is a happy median between this and the model as last talked about, but time will tell!

What if the model last talked about is the happy median between a lovely system and awful micro though?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
At least it means never having to make another 4-4-1-1 stack and constantly clicking through them all to make sure the soldier pops reinforcing it haven't run out.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Now that we have a date, I'd love to see who's up for doing a grand MP game on the 25th. Just all of us jumping in with no knowledge and bumbling about (the most realistic the game will ever be).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Oh no, a centrist!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

when you deploy your armies into a country it should break you out into a fighting game mode where you can do quarter-circle motions to fire cannons and half-circle back to forward motions to deploy cavalry charges. relative strength of the armies affects the fight through a character handicap system like capcom vs snk 2

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fuligin posted:

There are only two options: fiddling around with little men, and not doing that. There is no middle ground and Victoria 3 is on the right side.

If you want more granularity or control then maybe there's room for a way to click on a province and tell your generals to aim for that place first or something, but that's not so much a median as a small tweak to the new system.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Jazerus posted:

when you deploy your armies into a country it should break you out into a fighting game mode where you can do quarter-circle motions to fire cannons and half-circle back to forward motions to deploy cavalry charges. relative strength of the armies affects the fight through a character handicap system like capcom vs snk 2

Von Moltke's fireball is too quick and spammable, poor Napoleon III has no way of getting in to use his command grabs

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It'll be interesting if for CK4 and EU5 and maybe even Hoi5 they just straight up port over V3 warfare over if it works well. I actually feel like it will challenge the player *more* with such a system because you can't just bait the AI into being stupid.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eiba posted:

There are only two options: fiddling around with little men, and not doing that. There is no middle ground and Victoria 3 is on the right side.

If you want more granularity or control then maybe there's room for a way to click on a province and tell your generals to aim for that place first or something, but that's not so much a median as a small tweak to the new system.

On the one hand yeah they could implement larger plans and maneuvers rather than it being basically random, but on the other that's explicitly called out as something they want to do once they have time

Also is there a VOD of the stream somewhere?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

StashAugustine posted:

Also is there a VOD of the stream somewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDPdWMTCFcM

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
On map visuals for war is a huge DLC fodder for them so I'm fairly certain they'll add in little soldiers at some point. I'm not even sure what all they -can- add for DLC. There's infinite room for adding flavor, but the mechanics seem strong enough that I'm not sure what I'd even want added to the base gameplay. Ironically I do think it's a better base for EUIV style DLC adding a million unrelated flavor mechanics than EUIV is.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

It'll be interesting if for CK4 and EU5 and maybe even Hoi5 they just straight up port over V3 warfare over if it works well. I actually feel like it will challenge the player *more* with such a system because you can't just bait the AI into being stupid.

I'm hoping this is the case, and that the emphasis will be on making a state that can support protracted military operations (or invest enough in tech/training to actually win a swift war) rather than tricking hundreds of regiments into attacking you in the Alps (the existence of the Battles of the Isonzo notwithstanding).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Oh no, a centrist!

Dios mio

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vicky 3's warfare, if it works, will work because there is a robust economic system behind it that you can focus on instead of the warfare.

I do not think CK4, EU5, or HoI5 would have as robust an economic system, and therefore Vicky 3 warfare would suck.

It's not just a matter of challenging, the warfare also needs to be interesting, and I'm not sure if it's that right now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I kinda want EU5 to still stick to having armies moving around, but just redefine what they are. Basically making a single unit that combines CK3 agents, armies, and forts, making armies a bit more hands-on/important because the period required them to be more autonomous.

So like, you make a 50k doomstack, and this doomstack gives you additional diplomatic options based on its location - such as asking nicely to be allowed to move through a country that you'd otherwise have no shot at convincing, maybe loaning a few cannons, or convincing them to join your righteous war for the season.
The doomstack also projects power outside itself, because it's really just representative of several armies/bands moving in union across a larger area, which means doom stacks near each other can suffer casualties even the two stacks don't engage directly. This system would also a less binary resolution of one army chasing another, as merely being in proximity would start racking up casualties. Add a couple of stances for the armies plus leader traits, and you can start giving individual armies real character. Maybe one general is an offensive maniac who's happy to spread his army out to rout his enemies before they can congregate, while another keeps his formation tight to beeline for an objective, while another chooses a slow and steady approach to stay safe and is able to use friendly fortresses in their vicinity to a much greater effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hellioning posted:

Vicky 3's warfare, if it works, will work because there is a robust economic system behind it that you can focus on instead of the warfare.

I do not think CK4, EU5, or HoI5 would have as robust an economic system, and therefore Vicky 3 warfare would suck.

It's not just a matter of challenging, the warfare also needs to be interesting, and I'm not sure if it's that right now.

You probably could legit, redesign CK and EU to be more about economics; stuff like the Trade Minister Colbert's time in France was huge for France's development and advancement of its economy and industries. Maritime trade was hugely important but its kinda mechanically very eh; so you could shift the focus and mechanics to various other currently underdeveloped systems. Instead of Mana/Development you could shift to some other more involved system.

Hearts of Iron is more of the bigger question because on one hand people wanna make vroom noises with tank tokens; but on the other hand similarly there's a lot about various aspect of the game that could feel like a more immersive WW2/Early simulator if the players Clicks Per Minute could be taken away from managing the frontline more towards economic, diplomatic, and technological foci.