Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

What is a “Steam Controller code”?

I meant the builtin support Steam has for manipulating controllers. The existence of an actual Steam Controller device makes me add words like "code" to distinguish the software from that hardware. Not very clear though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Dock talk:

What are you guys using for a controller and do you have to do a lot of finagling to switch between docked and undock controller mode? I feel like going to use the control map to reconfigure between my dualshock and the deck's control everytime I dock/undock would get old. I feel like this would be the steam controller's time to shine if it could support similar maps while docked without having to change any settings.

I haven't bothered to buy a dock yet because I feel there are going to be controller shenanigans, even though dock mode was what sold me on buying the deck.

There's no dock mode. Or controller modes.

The onboard controller's called Neptune. It's present by default as controller 1 and you can pair/connect any number of additional controllers. It will largely depend on the game how it handles multiple controllers. Modern games should be no problem.

You're still playing on a PC. Switch was designed around the hot swapping.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

v1ld posted:

I meant the builtin support Steam has for manipulating controllers. The existence of an actual Steam Controller device makes me add words like "code" to distinguish the software from that hardware. Not very clear though.

Oh gotcha, the driver and whatever. Thanks for the clarification!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Subjunctive posted:

Also: can I just swap SD cards freely to change what games are installed? That would be great.
I think so, but I bet you'll need to restart steam. Steam checks its app folder on startup.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, i've played enough xcloud on Steam Deck to say that, as long as you have a good connection, it'll be pretty darn good. unfortunately even with a wifi extender, the wifi in my room is spotty enough that i get some major issues (primarily dropped inputs). but if you are in a small place or have your router pretty close, you should be fine. but it is funny playing powerwash simulator and suddenly watching my pressure blaster veer off into the sky because it froze on an input but the visual feed kept going

one thing to keep in mind is you'll want to close out of the edge browser (i just force exit) between play sessions or it won't let you back into a game

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vic posted:

I think so, but I bet you'll need to restart steam. Steam checks its app folder on startup.

Nah I have a card devoted strictly to Roms and another to Steam games. I've booted with the Roms in before and hot swapped. It picks it up fine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Dock talk:

What are you guys using for a controller and do you have to do a lot of finagling to switch between docked and undock controller mode? I feel like going to use the control map to reconfigure between my dualshock and the deck's control everytime I dock/undock would get old. I think this would be the steam controller's time to shine if it could support similar maps while docked without having to change any settings.

I haven't bothered to buy a dock yet because I feel there are going to be controller shenanigans, even though dock mode was what sold me on buying the deck.

The 8bitdo Pro 2 controller has a physical toggle on it that lets you swap between 4 different modes. I have mine set to work between my Switch, my Mister and my MacBook.

Which brings me to my next question, do 8bitdo controllers work well on Steam Deck?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nukelear v.2 posted:

What are you guys using for a controller and do you have to do a lot of finagling to switch between docked and undock controller mode?
I use a SN30 Pro 2 in both Switch and Xinput mode depending on if I want gyro or analog triggers. I also use an M30 (Xinput) for retro games.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I feel like going to use the control map to reconfigure between my dualshock and the deck's control everytime I dock/undock would get old.
You can set different controller configurations per-controller, per-game with Steam Input. You shouldn't need to modify in-game settings at all.

Heran Bago posted:

Are you actually running anything at 4k60 or was it more to see if it could?
If you have a 4K monitor the Deck will use a 3840x2160 resolution by default with no easy way to change this. Gamescope will still render actual game content at 1280x720 and default to linear scaling, but I usually set it to integer scaling or FSR depending on the game. If you have a 4K monitor there's really no reason not to output at 4K.

Except if your monitor only supports 4K @ 30 Hz, or your USB-C hub does. Previously the Deck would still run at 4K@30 which isn't optimal. In a recent update they've changed that to run at your monitor's preferred 60 Hz resolution, which is usually 1080p. Which is fine, except scaling can get weird with 720p content--particularly pixel games.

Edit: The only real "problem" I have when using a dock is that games (should) render at 1280x800 on the Deck's screen and 1280x720 when connected to a hub. Some games will "remember" the 1280x720 settings though and end up letterboxed when you play them handheld again. Usually this is just a matter of changing the resolution in the in game settings, but ideally this wouldn't happen.

More generally, in-game graphics settings will be shared between handheld and docked configurations, so while older games could render at 1080p or maybe even 4K natively, I tend to just run them at 1280x720 with the same in-game settings and then FSR scale them in the performance tab. It doesn't look as good as native, but it minimizes the fussing I have to do so I'm fine with that overall.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which brings me to my next question, do 8bitdo controllers work well on Steam Deck?
The SN30 Pro 2 works great. The only issue with it is that the controller fundamentally doesn't support gyro + analog triggers since gyro is only available in Switch mode, and analog triggers in Xinput mode. Usually this isn't a problem, but was when I was playing the Outer Wilds for the uh, "one part" where you have to be light on your thrusters.

The M30 also works great. I use it in Xinput mode since it doesn't really matter and I have it paired to my Switch in Switch mode. I did notice the button mapping is slightly off in Xinput mode, "L" is LB, "R" is LT, "Z" is RB, and "C" is RT. For games where this matters I just have a custom Steam Input that fixes this. Maybe it's correct in Switch mode--to be honest I haven't bothered to figure it out.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 30, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

v1ld posted:

The Deck is basically a Linux PC that can run Steam and all of its controller code so there are no limitations there in terms of choice.

The DS4/5 are the most fully featured controllers out there with gyro/touchpad/haptics and the kitchen sink, but that's all meaningless if you don't like the ergonomics of the controller.

If you like tweaking controller settings to, say, enable gyro aiming on trigger press in a PC game that doesn't even know about gyros I'd say the DS4 or 5 are your best bets by a long shot. If you don't care about gyro, just go with whatever feels best in hand to you and is reasonably priced I'd say.

The DS4 and 5 have another feature that doesn't work on for example the Microsoft Elite 2. The Steam Controller code has a binding that lets you turn off the controller remotely. This works with the DS4/5 on Windows but not in Arch Linux even though I can do it from the cli bluetoothctl command. So it probably won't work on the Deck too - in other words, probably not a differentiator but it would be very nice to have if Valve fixed this.

The Steam Controller code lets you turn off the DS4/5's led by the way - this has a significant effect on battery life. Just turn brightness to 0 in the controller options.

Are you the foretold one? The person who knows about controllers and steam and how the two interact? does that stuff have something to do with why i couldn't get gyro to work at all on switch pro controller with steam?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mescal posted:

Are you the foretold one? The person who knows about controllers and steam and how the two interact? does that stuff have something to do with why i couldn't get gyro to work at all on switch pro controller with steam?

lol. I used a switch pro controller with the switch and it broke, never got to use it with Steam. According to this post from the Steam developers from 4 years ago the pro controller's gyro should just work in Steam: Nintendo Switch Pro Controller support via Steam Input.

Are you sure you've bound the gyro input in your config? It's the infinity symbol like thing in the bottom left of the last pic in that article. Click it and make sure it's bound to some action when you move the controller.

It's not bound to anything by default.

E: I've only skimmed, but this video seems to cover it in possibly too much detail and in a very excited voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CenJLOTGxLc

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 30, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody take one for the team and get this then let us know how it does on the Deck…

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1659600/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_The_Cowabunga_Collection/

:ninja:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody take one for the team and get this then let us know how it does on the Deck…

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1659600/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_The_Cowabunga_Collection/

$40 for a collection of 13 roms, three of which are TMNT Tournament Fighters.

Get EmuDeck, it’s rockin

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m one of those weirdos that doesn’t emulate anything and buys all his games traditionally.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m one of those weirdos that doesn’t emulate anything and buys all his games traditionally.

Well, you should probably only be emulating games you own

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

From my experience so far, I think the JSAUX dock (the most recent one, the HB0603) works very well for my purposes. This one here:
https://www.jsaux.com/products/upgraded-docking-station-for-steam-deck

I'm getting by just fine with one of my MacBook's many USB C dongles with HDMI/USB C Power/Networking, but having a couple of these around the house in the office and living room would be really convenient, and they're not terribly expensive.

It looks like they're working on an all-metal version with m.2 slot as well:

https://twitter.com/jsauxofficial/status/1554836894542102529?s=20&t=6ntEcQfkmukb9uM6zsWJdg

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I'm getting by just fine with one of my MacBook's many USB C dongles with HDMI/USB C Power/Networking, but having a couple of these around the house in the office and living room would be really convenient, and they're not terribly expensive.

https://twitter.com/jsauxofficial/status/1554836894542102529?s=20&t=6ntEcQfkmukb9uM6zsWJdg

This could be interesting but I'm sure its going to be expensive as hell.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I somehow glossed over tweet saying it's a dock and thought it was a whole new back panel to the Deck itself. :shepface:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gay Retard posted:

The Deck doesn't have Thunderbolt but apparently m.2 can still achieve decent speeds externally: https://www.storagereview.com/review/plugable-usbc-nvme-usb-3-1-gen-2-nvme-ssd-enclosure-review

Not sure I'd want this though because it doesn't really seem necessary for these reasons:
- The SD card is fine for sequential write I/O such as when you install a game to it. It's not as fast as an m.2 here but it's certainly fast enough and more for how rarely you do this.
- The SD card is fine for sequential or random read I/O of the type that most games do when they're running, which is why we see so many reports of the SD being as good as the m.2 for games. It's obviously nowhere near as good in the general case and I would never throw it at a random database workload, say, but it seems to be acceptable for this use.
- The SD card isn't great at random write I/O, especially large amounts of it. But that seems to be reserved for save games on a gaming machine and there's not that much of it even in a gaming situation - saves are relatively infrequent even in a live save game like Elden Ring. But Steam forces these to happen to the built-in eMMC or m.2 nvme drive just to ensure speedy saves. That's good design.

So where does an external m.2 nvme fit into this picture? I don't see a need for it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 30, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I could see if you are planning on hooking it up to an external display as an emulation machine. You could have all the roms and stuff stored on there

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, that'd be a cool use case for sure. Even there an external SD card array will be cheaper and just as efficient because modern SD is much faster than what those old games need - but m.2 is easy enough, if expensive.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

v1ld posted:

The Deck doesn't have Thunderbolt but apparently m.2 can still achieve decent speeds externally: https://www.storagereview.com/review/plugable-usbc-nvme-usb-3-1-gen-2-nvme-ssd-enclosure-review

Not sure I'd want this though because it doesn't really seem necessary for these reasons:
- The SD card is fine for sequential write I/O such as when you install a game to it. It's not as fast as an m.2 here but it's certainly fast enough and more for how rarely you do this.
- The SD card is fine for sequential or random read I/O of the type that most games do when they're running, which is why we see so many reports of the SD being as good as the m.2 for games. It's obviously nowhere near as good in the general case and I would never throw it at a random database workload, say, but it seems to be acceptable for this use.
- The SD card isn't great at random write I/O, especially large amounts of it. But that seems to be reserved for save games on a gaming machine and there's not that much of it even in a gaming situation - saves are relatively infrequent even in a live save game like Elden Ring. But Steam forces these to happen to the built-in eMMC or m.2 nvme drive just to ensure speedy saves. That's good design.

So where does an external m.2 nvme fit into this picture? I don't see a need for it.

I put an m.2 into an enclosure and it fried it and i can't recover anything on it. It'll only be read as a "usb drive".

It was a 1TB drive too!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

jokes posted:

I put an m.2 into an enclosure and it fried it and i can't recover anything on it. It'll only be read as a "usb drive".

It was a 1TB drive too!

Ouch! I'm going through my own personal hell on my main desktop right now - still unresolved - so I'm particularly empathetic to failed hardware stories right now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

v1ld posted:

The SD card isn't great at random write I/O, especially large amounts of it. But that seems to be reserved for save games on a gaming machine and there's not that much of it even in a gaming situation - saves are relatively infrequent even in a live save game like Elden Ring. But Steam forces these to happen to the built-in eMMC or m.2 nvme drive just to ensure speedy saves. That's good design.
I wouldn't really call save traffic "random I/O". Usually saves are a single file and not very large (a few MB). Either way, totally fine for a SD card. Steam doesn't so much "force" saves to internal storage as much as that's just the location of compatdata for anything running under Proton. Linux native games can save to the SD card just fine.

Shader compilation could be considered random I/O and that is internal storage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Super No Vacancy posted:

can anyone clarify exactly what bios pack is needed and where it should go for emudeck because the guides are like 'it should be easy to find an archive with google' and then because google sucks rear end and the internet is dead you just get 15 reddit results looking for the same thing and some people find a couple zips but all have conflicting information on whether subfolders are an issue and etc

Join the Disc, I'm sure there's some help to be had there:

https://discord.gg/kXMsCDarZs

jokes posted:

Well, you should probably only be emulating games you own

Living up to that username.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I wouldn't really call save traffic "random I/O". Usually saves are a single file and not very large (a few MB). Either way, totally fine for a SD card. Steam doesn't so much "force" saves to internal storage as much as that's just the location of compatdata for anything running under Proton. Linux native games can save to the SD card just fine.

Shader compilation could be considered random I/O and that is internal storage.

Yeah, that's a better characterization of the two.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Went through the trouble of installing battle.net and diablo just to rmemeber D3 on PC still doesnt have controller support, something their console part has had since they ported it in... 2013.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blizzard don't give a gently caress about your controllers.

Neither does BioWare, the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions don't have controller support on PC and they also have console ports.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

F.D. Signifier posted:

The power supply chat comes up often because what the deck needs (15v) is non-intuitive, plenty of power supplies that provide more than 45w do not support 15v, and the power supplies that do and which ones are on sale will change pretty frequently.

The counterfeit SD card chat comes up because people keep saying "I'm gonna order this from (amazon link) so cheap!" and people who have first hand or third hand experience have to keep saying "amazon deliberately uses business practices that make it easy for counterfeiters to sell their cards even when someone buys something from the official sandisk store on amazon product page and even when the item is shipped and sold by amazon themselves" - amazon is basically aliexpress at this point and you wouldn't order from there expecting official legit cards so don't expect the same from amazon. You can take a chance if you want that the counterfeit will fail within 30 days from the shipping date so you can do an easy return but why do that?

I'm kind of OK on the power stuff because it's less intuitive and options do change over time.

The obsession with SD cards is ridiculous at this point, because, as we've said: plenty of people have stated we've never received a counterfeit, ever, and the rest of you are incessant with the "you're definitely gonna get a counterfeit" implication. And on top of that, returns/exchanges are easy.

Again, this is very much like you guys saying not to buy [anything] because you had a bad experience with [anything] once, so everyone else is 100% going to have the same experience, and there's no recourse like returns or purchase protection. It has nothing specifically to do with SD cards (especially considering you can run into counterfeits of anything, like designer goods or razer cartridges.)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trick about buying anything on amazon is having a Whole Foods nearby since they handle returns now and you get refunded immediately. No need to ship poo poo back.

Whole foods, UPS store, Kohl's, Amazon drop boxes.

v1ld posted:

They do the immediate refund even if you drop it off at a non-Amazon drop off like UPS or any of their other retail drop-off points. I get the refund notification within 10-15 minutes once the return bar code is scanned.

All of this is assuming that Amazon being flooded with counterfeit SD cards isn't the gooniest of goon fears.

There's a little nuance: you can go for the immediate reimbursement, in the form of a gift balance credit, or an actual refund to your original form of payment after they actually receive the returned item.

MarcusSA posted:

So speaking of Amazon returns this happens every so often and I have no idea why.

Normally a UPS drop off is free but once in a while it wants to charge for it.

One thing I've noticed is that I get different options each time I have to return something, and I haven't been able to figure out if it's totally random, or depends on the type of item.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Deck tops out at 45W (15V). Barring some proprietary weirdness, chargers will also top out at 45W (15V). Those 60W+ modes are 20V only which the Deck doesn't support, but a USB-PD 2.0-compliant 60W+ charger will work fine since they'll support the 45W mode.

I'm glad you took a swing at the power adapter guy first, I was :rolleyes: pretty hard at his first statement.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

in my experience, the power draw can be more than the charger is giving, so I bought a 60 or 65w charger off Amazon

I don't think I was playing very intensive games, either. glad it appears to work for you though

Not only does the Dreck not accept more than 45 W, it can't use that much, itself; the SoC is 15 W TDP max (and you should really lower that to like 10-11 W,) and everything else (storage, RAM, display, etc.) doesn't use anywhere near 30 W altogether. There's absolutely no way the included 45 W PSU can't power the Dreck and charge the battery simultaneously.

v1ld posted:

Do y'all still use wired ethernet for much? Wifi6 is good enough that I don't run cables even to my fixed desktop - it gets 800+ Mbps in real use over wifi, though Steam game downloads are the only thing that get that high usually.

I'm not against wired, I ran cat 6 a decade ago to tie the front of the house to the back at good speeds. Just wondering if folks still use it much with all the improvements to wifi tech.

I use Ethernet wherever possible (for performance/stability/security/interference/etc. reasons) which in practice means only on desktops, or at a desk where I commonly use a PC of some kind.

Cartoon Man posted:

I just received my Switch copy, I'll get it on Steam later on when there's a sale! (Although I might get in on this.)

Cartoon Man posted:

:same:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So there's a plug-in you can get with Decky called Vibrant Deck that allows you to up the saturation of the screen system wide in Gaming Mode. You can also lower saturation to total black and white.

Default Saturation:

Black and White:

400 Saturation:

120 is where I like it kind of a fake OLED look, some games look good at 140 for me but I find that anything higher is just too much:

That being said, I've also been messing with RetroArch shaders to give older games that CRT glow and I found one that looks pretty drat good. The more I look at it though, I really just love the CRT kinda look on the Steam Deck, maybe someone can mod filters in on a system level or something and make my Deck feel like a 90s Relic.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Went through the trouble of installing battle.net and diablo just to rmemeber D3 on PC still doesnt have controller support, something their console part has had since they ported it in... 2013.

I saw this on Reddit. I don't have any idea how well it works. https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wylt01/diablo_iii_on_deck_a_steam_input_configuration/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Heran Bago posted:

Are you actually running anything at 4k60 or was it more to see if it could?
ExcessBLarg! explained a lot of it, but it's more that the previous hub I have can only do 4k30 and the problem when hooking it up to a 4k TV is that since the UI is set to that (and you can't change it anywhere), it also limits all content to 30hz. That means that even though the games are running at 720/1080, they're still capped because of the overlay. For some games that's alright, but for others that rely on 60hz (like emulators or rhythm games for instance), it really screws things up.

There are games that run fine with 4k60 actually. I saw a video showing that Left 4 Dead 2 works at that resolution.
I'm just happy to see that a lot of games run very well at 1080p. Was enjoying SpinRhythm XD and American Truck Simulator in the Living Room yesterday.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 31, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

The more I look at it though, I really just love the CRT kinda look on the Steam Deck, maybe someone can mod filters in on a system level or something and make my Deck feel like a 90s Relic.

idk how hard it would be on a deck, but should be possible with vkbasalt and CRT.fx from the reshade repo at least

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

JazzFlight posted:

ExcessBLarg! explained a lot of it, but it's more that the previous hub I have can only do 4k30 and the problem when hooking it up to a 4k TV is that since the UI is set to that (and you can't change it anywhere), it also limits all content to 30hz. That means that even though the games are running at 720/1080, they're still capped because of the overlay. For some games that's alright, but for others that rely on 60hz (like emulators or rhythm games for instance), it really screws things up.

There are games that run fine with 4k60 actually. I saw a video showing that Left 4 Dead 2 works at that resolution.
I'm just happy to see that a lot of games run very well at 1080p. Was enjoying SpinRhythm XD and American Truck Simulator in the Living Room yesterday.
So would a 4k30 hub do 60Hz on a non-4k TV/monitor? The largest I have is a 1440p PC monitor, everything else is 1080p at best, and I'd like to save some money on a USB hub, I don't want to spend $70-80 on it if I can get one for like $40 that can do what I want. But all the Amazon entries for USB hubs were focused on their performance at 4k and didn't say anything about their performance at lower resolutions.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Commander Keene posted:

So would a 4k30 hub do 60Hz on a non-4k TV/monitor? The largest I have is a 1440p PC monitor, everything else is 1080p at best, and I'd like to save some money on a USB hub, I don't want to spend $70-80 on it if I can get one for like $40 that can do what I want. But all the Amazon entries for USB hubs were focused on their performance at 4k and didn't say anything about their performance at lower resolutions.
I know for sure any hub does 1080p/60hz. In fact you can buy a little $20 HDMI adapter thing (an EDID emulator) that goes on the cable that can fake that any monitor is 1080p and I was weighing whether I should have just bought that to work with my initial hub and my 4k TV. I haven't looked into 1440 performance... I'm guessing it should be 60hz?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

It should do this okay. The issue isn't the refresh rate, but the bandwidth needed to carry the signal. If a hub can handle enough bandwidth for 4k 30hz, it should be able to do 1440p 60hz or 1080p 120hz.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

uiruki posted:

It needs a patch. Basically it has a high chance of somehow messing itself up on start, either freezing entirely or just failing to play music and in either case needs a reboot. Once you’re in, though, it’s fine. Running pretty much max detail with a 50fps limit as it couldn’t quite manage 60. Don’t fiddle with the resolution settings as it’ll crash.

FYI, someone's already made a plugin for Soul Hackers 2 (https://github.com/Lyall/SoulHackers2Fix) that adds some graphical tweaks and settings, including ability to run it at resolutions/ratios other than 16x9. I've got it running at the Deck's native 1280x800 resolution after installing this plugin. (The only hitch I ran into while installing it was that some of the files unzipped with no permissions set, and I had to manually enable read+write permissions before it worked.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

So would a 4k30 hub do 60Hz on a non-4k TV/monitor?
Maybe, I would think it should work your case but no promises.

Longer-answer: USB-C hubs that only do 4K@30 are HDMI 1.4, which means the TMDS clock maxes out at 340 MHz. CEA 4K@30 uses a 297 MHz clock so we know the hub supports at least that much. 2560x1440 (60 Hz) isn't a CEA resolution so I'm not sure what your monitor actually specifies in its EDID, but if it uses CVT-R then it should be using a 242 MHz clock (or about) which would be within the capabilities of HDMI 1.4 hubs. That said, my anecdotal experience with HDMI converters is they can be finicky when running anything outside of CEA modes so some transcoder chips might tolerate it and some might not. Unless you know for sure that a specific hub does support it, you might have to pick one, try it, and be willing to return it if it's no-go.

Personally I'd try to get a 4K@60 hub just in case you do ever upgrade to 4K or want to use it on a 4K TV some day, and I just don't think it makes sense to buy anything that only supports HDMI 1.4 these days. The Anker 555 is $80 on Amazon though, and when I bought one on Prime Day it only came down to $64, so I understand the cost concern. Maybe you'd prefer to take a chance on a cheaper hub then.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 31, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

The obsession with SD cards is ridiculous at this point, because, as we've said: plenty of people have stated we've never received a counterfeit, ever, and the rest of you are incessant with the "you're definitely gonna get a counterfeit" implication. And on top of that, returns/exchanges are easy.

Again, this is very much like you guys saying not to buy [anything] because you had a bad experience with [anything] once, so everyone else is 100% going to have the same experience, and there's no recourse like returns or purchase protection. It has nothing specifically to do with SD cards (especially considering you can run into counterfeits of anything, like designer goods or razer cartridges.)

The whole reason I said anything at all is because while I don't follow this thread religiously I do try to keep up with it, and it was a concern that I'd seen pop up multiple times.

I just like asking questions to make sure my understanding is correct or not before diving into decisions that may have been otherwise ill-informed. :shrug:

And I now understand that it's not the concern I heard it was.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Enjoy your counterfeits :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

There are plenty of other good reasons to not buy crap off amazon.