Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Antonymous posted:

just to be clear they removed a cousin loving / rape joke and called it a LGBTQIA2S+ 'elimination'

it really takes amazing balls to tell me, a queer, I should feel that a censor removing a literal 'I hosed my cousin' joke is 'erasure' of my kind.

Also yea most of that list is some seriously anti-Asian poo poo, I'm actually shocked that's just how the show is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Antonymous posted:

Crazy rich asians assumed asians means Chinese and that Singapore is an ethnically Chinese, not malay or indian, city

I didn't watch that one cause I knew it would drive me insane but the cast seems to be white people and chinese people only. like a hollywood movie would do I guess

There is one or two Indians in the movie. They are guards / servants of the rich boyfriend's family house.

I think Ken Jeong and Henry Golding the only non-Chinese member of the main cast.

It's a pretty unremarkable film and still has some of the "white gaze" mentioned about Dead Pigs / The Farewell, where a story about old money thinking the commoner girlfriend isn't good enough to join the family is framed around filial piety or something.

Also Nick is a mamas boy himbo and she should have dumped him for that alone.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Billi is the protagonist, Haiyan is her father, and Gu Gu means your father's sister (aunt). Nai nai means your father's mother, grandmother. Mei Nu = 美女 = pretty lady

[brackets] means spoken in mandarin

code:
INT. MASSAGE PARLOR, HALLWAY - DAY

Billi, Gu Gu and Haiyan walk down the hallway.

HAIYAN
[Sis, you’re too generous.]

GU GU
[You’re family. It’s so rare for
you guys to come home. Let’s just
all relax so we can be happy in
front of Nai Nai.]

MASSAGE PARLOR RECEPTIONIST
[What kind of treatment would you
like, ‘mei nu’?]

Gu Gu clocks Billi’s confusion.

GU GU
[She’s from America. Her Chinese
isn’t great. Just give her the full
body massage.]

[Cupping too?]

GU GU
[The whole package.]

[You want the same thing, ‘mei
nu’?]

GU GU
[I don’t need cupping.]

Gu Gu speaks too fast for Billi to understand. She turns to
her father for a translation -

BILLI
What’s ‘mei nu’?

HAIYAN
It means ‘beauty’.

GU GU
[Always beauty, beauty. They call
everyone that in China these days.
Old or young, beautiful or ugly,
everyone’s a beauty! It’s so
stupid.]

The MASSAGE PARLOR RECEPTIONIST turns to Haiyan.

[Sir, what about you?]

HAIYAN
(jokes)
[Oh you can call me beauty. I don’t
mind.]

(doesn’t crack a smile)
[I meant what kind of treatment
would you like, sir? May I
recommend our bath and massage
package? The tub is filled with
herbs and you can soak in it.]

Gu Gu and Billi watch Haiyan. He's indecisive.
the structure of the movie is to show you all the weird stuff that's normal to chinese people, like going to a massage parlor for cupping and being called a beauty

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

you're supposed to cut the fat, if the film was about trying to come to terms with Grandma's mortality in the face of a culture that grieves differently, you'd cut this massage scene. but that's just ostensibly the premise, the real premise (the premise is the promise the film has to make good on) is an exploration of the other. and so this scene remains because it fulfills the promise of the premise. and also she should know what that word means so it's even forcing a character to do something out-of-character to advance the premise.

Grandma, who the main character supposedly was really connected to, is just the curtains on the window into the home of The Other. the audience is presumed not to have empathy but rather fascination with Chinese day to day life

I'll shut up now

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Aug 31, 2022

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Strongest storm of 2022 so far

https://twitter.com/UWCIMSS/status/1564695477249085446

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Calling yourself two spirit is the queer version of doing the tomahawk chop.

e: unless you're actually indian

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Aug 31, 2022

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Calling yourself two spirit is the queer version of doing the tomahawk chop.

e: unless you're actually indian

I know a few, raised on reservations, natives in southern california who refer to themselves as such. If it's sincere I respect their identities. If they're bilking liberal upper class gays out of money and speaking gigs I respect their hustle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
probably going to have to just revise typhoon classifications if we're going to have "super typhoons" every year now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is already a long established protocol:

Typhoon
Doublephoon
Multiphoon
Megaphoon
Ultraphoon
M-m-m-monsterphoon

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the farewell sucked, crazy rich asians sucked, eeaao was mediocre, all for different reasons but they express the same otherization of immigrant parents by their kids that's really off-putting to chinese audiences or anyone who believes, shocker, chinese people are human beings

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Antonymous posted:

[Sir, what about you?]

HAIYAN
(jokes)
[Oh you can call me beauty. I don’t
mind.]

(doesn’t crack a smile)

Classic dad poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

the farewell sucked, crazy rich asians sucked, eeaao was mediocre, all for different reasons but they express the same otherization of immigrant parents by their kids that's really off-putting to chinese audiences or anyone who believes, shocker, chinese people are human beings

i kept waiting for the granddad in eeaao to just be confused why anyone was acting like it was a big deal his granddaughter likes girls because the lead characters being dramatic about that plot point for no actual reason would have been really on brand for their characterization elsewhere but nope

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

Using that word to refer to strangers is a relatively recent thing. If you left the country in the 1990s and didn't come back for 20 years and had little contact with the culture which isn't uncommon before widespread internet access, it's understandable. I haven't seen the movie so I don't know if that's the case in the movie.

It's also somewhat of a regionalism that started in the south of the country and spread more generally.

Mei Nu/Suai Ge (Pretty/Hansome) is basically what people used to call waitress (or supermarket sales) started in the 00s because 1, you didn't use the word "comrade" anymore and 2, you couldn't use the word "miss" anymore because it became a reserved word for sex workers.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 07:56 on Aug 31, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

sexpig by night posted:

it really takes amazing balls to tell me, a queer, I should feel that a censor removing a literal 'I hosed my cousin' joke is 'erasure' of my kind.

Also yea most of that list is some seriously anti-Asian poo poo, I'm actually shocked that's just how the show is.

They grouped "non-traditional heterosexual relations", which apparently includes cousin-loving in America, together with LGBT+. Because why not? It's all sexual deviancy right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1564819873141760000

Propaganda of the Deed gets the goods

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Joy Luck Club still holds supremacy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Propaganda of the Deed gets the goods

Leninists in Roo-ins

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Antonymous posted:

Joy Luck Club still holds supremacy

I recently reread this and can say the is false. Still a lot of the same issues as EEAAO or The Farewell but more "gently caress you mom" Gen X vibes than "I had a bad relationship with my mom and it's because generational trauma" Millennial vibes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Speaking of da immigrant experience, thoughts on The Namesake? Kumar from Harold and Kumar plays an incredibly compelling role in that movie and he gets to act opposite Irrfan Khan.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Telluric Whistler posted:

I recently reread this and can say the is false. Still a lot of the same issues as EEAAO or The Farewell but more "gently caress you mom" Gen X vibes than "I had a bad relationship with my mom and it's because generational trauma" Millennial vibes.

yah but the mom stories are like "I was sold to a landlord and beaten because I didn't produce an heir with their 8 year old son so I tricked them and escaped to america"

and the daughter stories are like " I cheated on my rich white husband but he still lvoes me and it feels weird :/"

idk how you think the millenial (gen x) daughters are the heroes here. the moms absolutely rule

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
it owns that if china censored a reference to blood libel from a piece of american media westerners would complain that the cpc was suppressing jewish culture.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

droll posted:

Did "queer" mean "odd" before it's association with non-heterosexuality? Speaking as an older millennial my first memories of the word are that it's a pejorative, then later that only gay people could say it because they're taking it back. My mom would never use the word queer, but she says lgbt

Yes.

You can encounter "queer" being used to mean "strange" or "odd" in a general sense in older works of fiction.

"There's something queer on the wind."

"He felt queer after drinking of it."

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wasnt it because he landed in the sea to get picked up by a submarine and i guess everyone else bailed out over the island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be3N4LaFekM

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You forgot about turning red, the movie that is almost entirely based around how the main character just loving hates her mom

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

This was genuinely a cool click from a data infographics perspective. Like it's cool to scroll through this. The author's thesis and stance are dogshit. Lmao omg china is wrong for doing the prime time style edits of sex jokes lmao. That's how china controls it's population rofl. I do not believe that the censorship done to Big Bang Theory were inherently bad, or even that much related to political control because those cut bits sucked rear end. Thank you china for removing 1.5 hours of dull zingers about these nerd's cocks and balls.

For a domestic example, when I was growing up in Utah there would be mormon video stores that sold the TV or G rated edits of movies like Gladiator. So like, censorship is kinda baked into how entertainment gets packaged and altered to suit new audiences.

quote:

KAYSVILLE, Utah — Finally, Mark Cronin can watch R-rated films.
It has nothing to do with his age. It has everything to do with profanity and sex.

After seeing the original "Lethal Weapon" movie — released in 1987 — Cronin swore off films with the R-rating. But at Clean Cut Videos, he picked up a copy of "Gladiator" to take home, despite the naked butts and vulgar language in the original film.

Clean Cut Videos edits movies to remove profanity, sex and gory violence for a mostly Mormon audience here, where many church members abhor Hollywood's idea of entertainment.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Japan watchers again interpreting Japan's rich cultural history of political assassinations through western concepts.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

just looked up an article about this
https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/why-china-hates-disney-mulan-1234770198/

lol "theres a lot of asian people in the movie". if thats all youre looking for, you could watch literally any chinese movie ever made

China has some posters

Variety Article posted:

On the more discerning Douban user review platform, however, the title ranks a dismal 4.9 out of 10.

“The Americans invited all the famous Chinese actors they could think of and piled together all the Chinese elements that they could find to create this car crash,” reads one of the most popular reviews. “It’s full of Western stereotypes and conjectures about China, and particularly ancient China.”

Numerous viewers across all platforms slammed the new “Mulan” as being worse than another blockbuster that tried and failed to work both sides of the Pacific. “Even ‘The Great Wall’ is better than this,” one wrote. “After watching ‘Mulan,’ I want to apologize to [‘Great Wall’ director] Zhang Yimou and [its star] Jing Tian.”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Grapplejack posted:

You forgot about turning red, the movie that is almost entirely based around how the main character just loving hates her mom

a preteen hating a parent?? no way

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

My read was how her mom was overly strict which came to a head during puberty and through the daughter's rebellion the two managed to come to understand each other.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Representation is complicated, because I want to see myself on screen, but everytime I do I see myself I'm saying "gently caress YOU MOM"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KirbyKhan posted:

For a domestic example, when I was growing up in Utah there would be mormon video stores that sold the TV or G rated edits of movies like Gladiator. So like, censorship is kinda baked into how entertainment gets packaged and altered to suit new audiences.

yipee ki yay, mr falcon!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

yipee ki yay, mr falcon!

You see what happens Larry? You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As with all takes on China, it is pure projection borne from something we have done for like 60 years.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KirbyKhan posted:

China has some posters

lol wasn’t the Great Wall that weird Tom cruise with dragons movie

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol wasn’t the Great Wall that weird Tom cruise with dragons movie

Matt Damon I think.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It was one of the guys. The movie was attempting to do a kinda 13th Warrior bit, but didn't stick any of the landings.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it was a mind-bogglingly stupid premise in the best way and should have been loving awesome, but instead it was boring and sucked. there was one good action but with the rope ladies but that's all.

give that story to Chris McQuarrie and Tom Cruise and it's the world's first $3 billion movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat the premise of 13th warrior is so hilariously cool though